Starting IFR @ GATTS

ssonixx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ssonixx
I decided do the 7 day instrument training up at GATTS starting on Saturday. I was considering doing the PIC course but felt with the kids and home obligations, I wasn't going to be able to get the home time needed to make that work.

I can't tell you how fortunate I feel to be able to do this, that is to be able to find a big chunk of time and dedicate it to flying.

I am really looking forward to this.

Happy to report back if there is interest.

It's going to be quite a workout. Hope you scheduled a few days to decompress before soldiering back into work.

Make sure you show up prepared and know the plane inside and out. There's no time in the syllabus to learn how to work the avionics or mess around with power settings.

Finally, once you get your ticket, use your new IFR skills right away. That which is learned quickly is forgotten quickly as well.

Please report as able.

GATTS graduate here. Great program, great deal. And yes, I do fly in the system. Expect lots of partial panel. You'll have a scan like no other!

GATTS graduate here. Great program, great deal. And yes, I do fly in the system. Expect lots of partial panel. You'll have a scan like no other!

I am curious since you went through the program.

How many hours going into GATTS did you have? How many sim IMC/actual hours dual did you have?

How much flying vs sim were you doing each day?

Were you doing your check ride on your 8th?

And, out of curiosity, who was your instructor?

Appreciate your feedback.

I had most of the requirements met, but had done them like 8 years prior. I entered the training truly rusty, if there was any skill there at all. I may have retained some of the "book" knowledge stuff, but that's about it.

We did only minimal sim time...most of it was in their C182. I think maybe an hour at most.

My instructor was Sam Finan, I'm sure he's moved on by now. He was a newer CFII and I'm sure just building time.

The best part of the program I thought was all the partial panel we did....the artificial horizon remained covered almost the whole week. On my check ride (yes, I think it was the 8th day) the DPE kept failing instruments until all I had was the magnetic compass on one approach.

I really liked the "all inclusive" nature of the program....apartment and car included in the price. I would recommend leaving yourself a buffer day, in case weather pops up, mx becomes an issue, or you need extra time on some task.

Best of luck! Enjoy Manhattan!

Let me start with some background. I received my PPL a couple of years ago. Been using it fairly regularly. I own a Glasair which I fly fairly regularly, that is I try to putter around once every two weeks or so. I am shy of about 200 hours now and bought the plane as soon as I finished up my PPL. I have flown fairly long distances, including a memorable trip to both Florida and Washington. Anyway, I have not had any practical instrument experience prior to starting GATTS other than the minimums for my PPL and one IFR training flight for an hour with an instructor who moved to take a flying job.

So, I started on Saturday. Landed in the morning and basically got settled until the afternoon when we went up in my plane and got some power settings set up.

Then, the next day, we ran through some ground training and then some SIM training. And then some sim IFR flying.

The last two days have been great IFR training weather and we have been in the plane flying about 6-7 hours a day with more than half that time in actual. Makes for long days but at this point, I can honestly say that I feel comfortable shooting approaches to minimums. We are doing about 15 different approaches a day. I have 3 days left of flying ahead of me, but I feel like I am in good shape already.

Some general comments about the course:

1). There is a good structure that they are following which seems to provide some general guidance to the training and flying. For example, we weren't shooting backcourse approaches until we got some of the more basic ones down and also had a chance to fly the approach in a SIM before doing it in the plane.

2). The training assumes you have already done your written. So they focus a lot on the "practical" and "real world" aspects of flying IFR and not the academic. Ground school is nothing more than a reinforcement of subjects that they believe are important to fly in the real world like filing plans, weather go/no-go decisions, their version of entering holds, alternates, lost comms, and radio work. Other than that, not much else.

3). I would already recommend GATTS to anyone that wants to get their instrument rating. It may be premature for me to say this already, of course, as I am still only half way through. But if you are one of those guys/girls who feel it is difficult to fit the time commitment in to get the training done in between family and work obligations, then I do think GATTS is a good option and one that is quite cost efficient as well.

4). Don't expect much from "housing" and "car" other than a bed and a mode of transportation. Then again, I assume if you wanted to spring for more luxury, I am sure they could certainly add it to the base cost of training.

5). As for Manhattan, Kansas. It is not exactly the most metropolitan city. I have located one Starbucks and several restaurants. Is about all I really need for the week. I wouldn't come here expecting much else.

Well, I will ping back after a few more days. Checkride is on Saturday. Will add any additional feedback I might have to this thread on the course. And, hopefully I can report back that I passed as well.

Good luck on the checkride! Its a tough ride but very rewarding when you pass

Another satisfied GATT grad here. It's a good program. I did feel ready to go when I'd finished there and have been a very active IFR pilot ever since.
Good luck to GK and have fun.

Another day passed. Long days at the wheel.

We flew a bit of a cross country today on an IFR flight plan to my home airport in Dallas. Lots of weather everywhere today. We were in the muck as soon as we came into Texas and were asked to fly the FINGER4 arrival. Was a first for me. Then were vectored to shoot an ILS approach into my home airport. Ceilings were at about 1200ft AGL with rain coming down in buckets. Was a really great experience.

Departure back to Kansas was a SID departure across class B but I was almost immediately vectored to Love Field and then booted northbound eventually direct to Kansas. We dodged storms all the way back and shot some approaches as we crept in.

Anyway, so far for the week we have flown about 26 hours with about 12 hours of it in actual and a bunch of approaches and about 6 hours on the SIM.

As a side comment, I have a new found respect for the trusty 'ole 430W. That machine is a workhorse and a marvel. The buttonology makes some sense to me now.

Down to the last couple days left of this journey.

Feeling a bit...tired. But am still having a blast still.

Saturday checkride...here I come.

Done! Passed on Saturday. Feels great!

Weather was decent. Lots of weather hanging out west and the TAF kept changing every couple hours till we got a break and the ceilings held at 2500 to 3500 for the time of our flight. I was grateful for that because I was ready to go home and didn't want to stay another day.

Was a good ride. Flip-flopped the source VOR on an ILS approach so getting onto the approach course got a bit wonky but I figured it out when lateral guidance was not coming in, though I cross over the localizer before I snapped to it. And of course that was my first approach. ;(. We did a VOR-A to circling minimums and an RNAV (GPS) approach.

All in all, was really glad to be done with the week. And happy to have the ticket.

Flew back home on my first solo IFR flight plan, and flew an arrival procedure into DFW class B going through some clouds coming down from 10K to about 6K.

Great week!

Congratulations!

Thank you for documenting your GATTS experience here. I you'll share more about the final days leading up to the ride and your overall impressions. (Once you've had a chance to recover, of course)

Sure. Happy to do so.

Last few days was much of the same. Met at 8:30a and basically pulled open Foreflight and just plotted random airports in some distance. Usually looked for at least 30nm or so between airports so I could get established in cruise and then start looking down at approach charts, weather, setting radios up, etc. Tried to mix in untowered and towered fields in. Looked for maybe 4 to 6 airports depending on distance to come up with about 1.5+ hrs in flight and adding in about 10 mins per approach to net out at around 2.x hours of flying.

At first, instructor was going most of the planning and the radio work. And by the time we hit 5th day, I was doing it all. We were at some point starting to plan flights just to hit the requires flight hours. SIM time up to 10 hours can be used, but I found SIM time to not be that interesting and frankly preferred to do more of it in the air. We generally would end up at an airport that we optimized for food, transportation, and cheap fuel so we could eat lunch and then plan a longer ride back to Manhattan. By the end, I think we shot approaches in Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

Net takeaway still stands as before. I was able to set aside to week from my normal life. Without it, I doubt I would have been able to get the time in. I did schedule some work conference calls in the morning and at noon so our lunches were a bit longer than they otherwise would be, but the fluidity and flexibility of the instructor to just go with the flow was nice. We really had no schedule and no agenda flying wise other than doing as much random and variable stuff as we could fly.

I tried to get as much actual IMC time as possible so we would make altitude change requests to fly in the muck whenever possible and also would chase MVMC and IFR weather if we could find it - more often then not, by the time we got there, the weather was often much better than METARS or TAFS were indicating.

I had no trouble with the radios since I do fly out of class D airport and use FF quite a bit. I didn't find any of the radio work to be any different.

I also found Foreflight and esp georeferenced approach plates to almost be "cheating." DPE even encouraged use and didn't fail my iPad though I was expecting him to do so. He also encouraged used of the AP while starting at my charts and even had me to do the RNAV approach on an autopilot.

I believe I have no worn a nice groove in my seat from all of the seat time during a very compressed amount of time. :). And, maybe psychological, but I honestly feel like my engine is smoother than it was before this all started.

Anyway, my opinion still stands. Get it done in a week and go fly with GATTS. Don't expect much on transportation and the apartment. It has only the VERY basics. Go in to GATTS with the knowledge stuff pretty fresh. And, know how to fly your airplane already - they won't teach you that. If you have those things down, then the course is really about getting the time in and understanding how to fly those charts.

Wow great few write ups I'm a year old ppl an thinking ifr course i only have 58 hours and need a lot more cross country time to get my minims before i can really train for it but may start soon getting those minims so i can learn and agree a course like this would be great for me..

First of all, congrats! Ken Godfrey still the DPE? Did he add your punched circle from your old license to his ziploc baggy? (He had THOUSANDS of those things when I did it!)

What is the cost of the GATTS course? Assuming of course no additional unexpected surprises, like extra days required etc.

Thank you.

Yes, he showed me the bag. Cool tradition for him. Took a punch off my license as well. Has a good gig going for him if you ask me. He probably did three or four the week I was there.

Side comment, plane fits me like a glove at 5' 11" and 180lbs. Getting in and out requires some acrobatics through. I was worried when I first met him how we would fare. But he gave it the good ole college try and got himself in and out though he sat somewhat like a pretzel the entire way through checkride. Oh, and had to give the plane a good bit of trim to the left. :). He was a good sport about it all.

What is the cost of the GATTS course? Assuming of course no additional unexpected surprises, like extra days required etc.

Google must have broke, huh? :)

GATTS.org

all the details on GATTS website. Somewhere around $5200 for the IFR course.

Ken has one of mine in that back, and maybe a student or two's...

Congrats on the ifr ticket!

Back