starting back, to learn after slmost 20 years

old_biker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
old_biker
I started lessons 20 years ago, always wanted to learn, I have just over 3 hours, and I waited to save to start buying air time in blocks, 10 hours for $650, plus $35 per hour for instructor, a Cessna 172, and yes he was cheap, I even got my medical, but before I could purchase a block of time I had a death, that threw me into a spin, and my financial situation such I basically gave up, I thought I could lsee daylight in 2007, but only had a major setback, and I gave up, burned everything flying related during a drinking binge. Fast forward to today, things finally coming together, home will be paid off next summer, started thinking again, talked to instructor, so planning to take classes again, I am worried about night flights, as I hate driving car or motorcycle at night, if anywhere unfamiliar, where when I was younger I didn't care, now lights bother me to point I only drive to and from work. But I still will go out when I have to, even road trip for hundreds of miles on my Harley as long as a few others are on their bikes too.

Hopefully everything will go better this time,welcome back.

I started lessons 20 years ago, always wanted to learn, I have just over 3 hours, and I waited to save to start buying air time in blocks, 10 hours for $650, plus $35 per hour for instructor, a Cessna 172, and yes he was cheap, I even got my medical, but before I could purchase a block of time I had a death, that threw me into a spin, and my financial situation such I basically gave up, I thought I could lsee daylight in 2007, but only had a major setback, and I gave up, burned everything flying related during a drinking binge. Fast forward to today, things finally coming together, home will be paid off next summer, started thinking again, talked to instructor, so planning to take classes again, I am worried about night flights, as I hate driving car or motorcycle at night, if anywhere unfamiliar, where when I was younger I didn't care, now lights bother me to point I only drive to and from work. But I still will go out when I have to, even road trip for hundreds of miles on my Harley as long as a few others are on their bikes too.

Some of the rules are the same. Keep the rubber side down is a biggie. You'll do some night flight during training but will never have to solo at night. If the rules on this have changed since I last looked, someone will be along shortly to correct it. Have fun

You can omit night flying and have your PPL ticket limited.

If that drinking binge resulted in anything like a doctor visit or a DUI, get some professional advice before doing your medical application. You can’t afford to get a denial.

you can also go for the Sport Pilot certificate. no night flying permitted but you're limited to 2-seats, 1320-lbs gross weight takeoff, daytime VFR only and some other restrictions.

[QUwaa s at ="Half Fast, post: 2749779, member: 28212"]You can omit night flying and have your PPL ticket limited.

If that drinking binge resulted in anything like a doctor visit or a DUI, get some professional advice before doing your medical application. You can’t afford to get a denial.[/QUOTE]
No was at home, didn't drink and drive, no driving offense other than speeding over a decade ago

You can omit night flying and have your PPL ticket limited.

You can only do that if you live in Alaska, or if you're flying a gyroplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft.

Welcome back to aviation and the best of luck to you.

As stated above, you will be required to fly at night for a Private Pilot Certificate, unless you live in and are receiving your flight instruction in, Alaska.

I wouldn't sweat it too much though. It's only 3 hours and it can all be accomplished with an instructor on board and once it's done, if you choose not to fly at night, you'll never have to again. You might even find that it's not as bad as you think.

I actually prefer flying at night. Much quieter, less people, generally smooth calm air, and beautiful night time views.

No night solos. Just dual. You need: 3 total hours night flying. 1 XC 100 nm total or greater. 10 night takeoffs/landings. Again, all dual. I know. I am finishing up the last of my aeronautical experience reqs tonight by completing the last of the night takeoffs/landings. Great timing doing it when the days are at their longest. D'oh.

Welcome back, by the way!

I understand about driving at night especially with oncoming headlights and such. But if that is your only issue with driving at night, you’ll find that flying at night doesn’t typically present the same challenges.

Of course, seeing oncoming headlights while flying can be a bit disconcerting.

hurry up and get it done....before you burn all your stuff again. ;)

well when things were getting better, I had took a big loan to fix up our property, however my wifes mom lived on same property, she apparently took out a loan to pay off telemarketers, we assume took a taxi to town? as we had no knowledge of a loan until after her death, & she refinanced the whole farm, which was supposed to be given to us, so we lost everything, yeah bank foreclosed & took whole farm for a crazy cheap price, I still had to pay off loan, for all work I had doe to property the bank stole, & during transition, my truck blew engine, but I had had truck for 19 years, & wife totaled her car, & I found myself struggling beyond belief, so yeah at that time I gave up on dream of flying, was drinking heavy at home after work, & destroyed what I had, plus other stuff, & right now I am nearly where I want to be, but never saw my life long dream to get in the air, so hope that's next. & I should be out of dept fingers crossed next July. that's why I am finally here 12 years after second major setback & almost 20 years since first setback. & excited, to get in the air.

as for lights, I am not too nervous with road lights, but headlights in unfamiliar territory mess me up, & which wont happen here, 3 years ago I came close to having a wreck do to this & I have not traveled alone but within 75 miles of home at night since, on a major interstate, when they pull you across median into oncoming traffic with detours without any warning signs until last minute, & having you weave around a fast S, into oncoming traffic lane, and now opposite side of interstate and then back to correct side with another fast S, after you been on road for 500 miles on a motorcycle, yeah I almost wrecked, & that's when I gave up driving at night for most part, I may do ok without headlight glares, & crazy colored headlights coming at me, & people not dimming headlights. I am just trying to be 100% open & honest about any issues, & that's the biggest I am aware of.

Thanks for having me.

Don't let the night flying trip you up. If you get your night vision set up fifteen mins to 1/2 hour before getting in the air it is not as bad as driving. There aren't bright lights coming at you like when driving. The lights on the ground are a bit... what... muted. not bright. And you can set the intensity of the runway/taxi/glideslope (papi/vasi/etc) by clicking the radio a certain number of times at most untowered airports.

Maybe get a demo flight with a CFI to see if you have any other issues with being back up in the air? Also, make sure you get your medical before going too deep into the training.

Maybe get a demo flight with a CFI to see if you have any other issues with being back up in the air? Also, make sure you get your medical before going too deep into the training.

already discussed & will be doing that in July, if I have no issues, I dont see any, I will take 1-2 hours of training each month until next year, after July next year, 2020 I can get more serious with training, as bills will be off me, & I will go for medical sometime before I get 10 hours, last time I went, I had 3, lol. I wish I could prove it, but cant locate instructor, & no idea what happened to him, maybe retired, or dead, also in 2007 I deleted all e-mails so wiped clean of everything before 2007, just not gone to airport to ask what happened to instructor, which is farthest relatively local one, closest doesn't have anyone training, second closest does, & the airport I went to then hasn't responded to my call or message, nor e-mail, & I interviewed instructor & no plans to jump ship, he has been exceptionally nice & bent over backwards answering my questions.

I wish I could prove it, but cant locate instructor, & no idea what happened to him, maybe retired, or dead,
If you have your former instructor's name, you could try looking him up in the airman database:
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/
Might be able to get his snailmail address that way. I recently looked up my old instructor from 15 years ago that way, just to say hi!

Back