Starter just goes "kachunk"

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I have a fairly new starter in my aircraft. It is a skytech. I went out to go fly today and when I try to start the plane it just makes a kachunk sound.

I am thinking of removing the cowling and having a mechanic come look but would a first thing be maybe to trickle charge the battery?

I am able to turn every electronic in the aircraft on and nothing seems to struggle. My amp meter is completely worthless though so I don't know if it might be a battery issue. Is there such a thing as a starter issue where it goes kachunk or is that most likely a battery issue?

First feeling tells me battery....

Did you cycle the prop at all?

Could be low battery and hanging up on the compression stroke....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just guessing,but I’d look at the battery first,least expensive way to start. Might have been a good idea to try and jump the plane,if services were available.

I did not try to cycle the prop.

I don't have a split cowl so if I have to take the front off to get to the starter I'm going to have to take the propeller off. I think that's when things are going to get expensive

Thank you POA!

I just cycled the prop by hand got it off the compression stroke try to start it and it spun just fine.

So given that new bit of information weak battery?

Charge the battery first. Has it been awhile since you've flown it?

Voltmeter. Report back after obtaining battery voltage at rest.

The rest of us use a batteryminder so we don’t have to post here asking WTF?

Mine has been kachunking lately too...only problem, is that I've been flying mine at least every other day, doing my instrument training...I think a new battery is in my near future.

Look in your logbook and see how old your battery is. If it’s fairly new, it might not be the battery that’s the root cause (charging system or starter/solenoids/wiring). If it IS old, that likely your problem. Depending on what brand of battery you have, “old” may be 2 years, or it may be 6 years.

Have your mechanic take a look at it and pay him a little extra. Gotta keep my comrades in trade going.

Also it's been a bit cold for the last few weeks and you don't have a fully enclosed/insulated hangar.

The battery may or may not be the root cause. You know where I'd take her to get the full story.

Mine has been kachunking lately too...only problem, is that I've been flying mine at least every other day, doing my instrument training...I think a new battery is in my near future.
If you aren’t using a batteryminder, start. It can rescue abused batteries.

Keep in mind that airplane battery care and feeding is like 60s car battery care and feeding. Inspect for corrosion, clean and apply grease regularly.

I also would have said battery but a bunch of much smarter and much better looking peeps than I said it first. and also mscard said it too.

Damn eman, I was gonna say "why thanks for the good looking compliment"....you sure squashed that! :raspberry:

Sorry. Switch was in the wrong position.

th

If the battery is weak it's common to hear either the starter or master contactor chatter when trying to start. The starter puts such a load on the battery that voltage drops until the contactor can't stay closed. It opens, the voltage returns, it closes again, repeat rapidly.

If it isn't chattering, one should start making voltage drop tests across the contactors. You're looking for any resistance between the two big posts, and you do that by setting the voltmeter on some setting that will accomodate battery voltage and put the leads on the contactor posts, positive toward the battery side. The master contactor should read battery voltage until you turn the master on. The starter contactor should read the same until you crank. Check both of them while trying to crank, and anything above a volt or so showing on the meter means there is unacceptable resistance and the contactor needs replacing. They're a lot cheaper than new batteries, which are frequently replaced first in the throw-money-at-the-problem-until-it-goes-away type of troubleshooting.

If you want to fix it start with the battery, if you want to spend a lot of money start with the cowling. I would start by charging the battery.

Edit. Damn auto correct, charge the battery, or if it's easy get it load tested.

Last edited:
Before you spend money, clean all the grounds. The main ground strap from battery to airframe, both ends. Probably never been done. The grounds from the engine to airframe too. And the cables from solenoid to starter could probably use a little scrub at the terminal ends. If that doesn't solve your problem. Do a battery draw down and see what the actual capacity is.

I just wrote what in MHO is one of the best Kitplanes columns I've done in my 20 years of writing. Harbor Freight has a new little microcontrolled charger that brought a VERY old AGM battery in the 182 back to near new performance. I'll post here if there is any interest. jw

I just wrote what in MHO is one of the best Kitplanes columns I've done in my 20 years of writing. Harbor Freight has a new little microcontrolled charger that brought a VERY old AGM battery in the 182 back to near new performance. I'll post here if there is any interest. jw

Do tell.

The starter in my new riding-mower-airplane-tug was making a “whirrrrrrrrr” sound. After much diagnostic work I found that I had purchased and installed a battery with the pos terminal on the wrong side...

Try that BrYan

Back