Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which is Nerdier

Does anyone truly appreciate "Spock's Brain" or the first Star Trek movie?

I did not care for the first Star Trek Movie and I have been and always will be a Star Trek fan. To me the first movie was a big budget remake of the Nomad episode from the original series. To me it seems that all of the odd number Star Trek movies were rather lame but the even numbered ones were good.

#2 - The Wrath of Kahn
#4 - The Voyage Home (I liked this one for the humor)
#6 - The Undiscovered Country

To me those were the best.

I liked all of the Star Wars movies.

Jean

With the right amount of money and creative freedom, you probably can.

I don't see it as an issue of creative freedom, but rather one of creative passion. John loves the deep ocean, he's hooked on it, a junkie. I'm not sure that he can provide that passion to space. I'm trying to think of a space Sci FI he did and I'm coming up blank.:dunno: Off to IMDB...

Saw Aliens on the list, but again, more Star Wars than Star Trek.

Last edited:
I don't see it as an issue of creative freedom, but rather one of creative passion. John loves the deep ocean, he's hooked on it, a junkie. I'm not sure that he can provide that passion to space. I'm trying to think of a space Sci FI he did and I'm coming up blank.:dunno: Off to IMDB...

Saw Aliens on the list, but again, more Star Wars than Star Trek.

I think there are enough parallels between the ocean and space that he would be succesful with it if he tried. But since the Avatar sequel is supposed to be based in the ocean, you may be right.

I think there are enough parallels between the ocean and space that he would be succesful with it if he tried. But since the Avatar sequel is supposed to be based in the ocean, you may be right.

Star Trek is a bigger difference though hence the origin of the thread. Cameron doesn't make 'nerd' level scifi, he makes fantasy scifi. Cinematography wise, I have no doubt that he could do an excellent job, but I think it wouldn't be vastly different than what Abrams put out story telling wise.

It's really difficult to compare the two. ST was always intended to be a tv series, and as Roddenberry pointed out, a series can't have a monumental denoument, most of the regular characters must be around for the next week. He once described ST as "Kirk Makes a Decison" every week.

As for the movies, I agree with the even/odd opinion on ST movies. As for SW, the original 3 were wonderful, I fell asleep on the new Eps 1 and 2, finally saw the end of #3 when it was on tv. Fanatstic CGi can't make up for weak scripts.

It's really kinda funny, because Star Wars and Star Trek are such disparate franchises, the only real direct comparison between them is they both start their franchise name with Star.

Now to say that SciFi fans are nerdier than Fantasy fans, which is really what the comparison is about, I would say the race is too close to call. :lol:

It's really kinda funny, because Star Wars and Star Trek are such disparate franchises, the only real direct comparison between them is they both start their franchise name with Star.

Now to say that SciFi fans are nerdier than Fantasy fans, which is really what the comparison is about, I would say the race is too close to call. :lol:

I would say that the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy nerds are way nerdier than Star Trek nerds.

I would say that the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy nerds are way nerdier than Star Trek nerds.

I agree completely, now Star Wars is a mix of the genres, so the question is where in between do those fans lie, closer to D&D or ST? I think they're closer to D&D. I don't hang much with any of them, but I see to photograph the conventions in San Diego. BTW, they all had hot chicks boning nerds, that isn't a particularly accurate stereotype to believe.

I agree completely, now Star Wars is a mix of the genres, so the question is where in between do those fans lie, closer to D&D or ST? I think they're closer to D&D. I don't hang much with any of them, but I see to photograph the conventions in San Diego. BTW, they all had hot chicks boning nerds, that isn't a particularly accurate stereotype to believe.

I would say more to D&D. After all, Star Wars has games. I don't think I remember Star Trek games, or if they did exist, they weren't very succesful.

Agreed...real nerds were into Next Generation.

I mean it is not like I received a Christmas present once that was a box set of full blueprints of every deck of the entire Starship Enterprise...nope...not me...

Still have mine. :yes:

"And now the Tranya......."

tranya.jpg

I'm going to end this debate with 3 words:

Harrison F*cking Ford!!!!

Harrison+Ford+-+Pilot.png

I would say more to D&D. After all, Star Wars has games. I don't think I remember Star Trek games, or if they did exist, they weren't very succesful.
In 1974, we had a game loosely based on Star Trek on an IBM mainframe system (S370). By 1980ish, the game had morphed into a team sport played on a DECPDP across IP links.
As far as nerds go, there was never a Star Wars game for mainframe or midrange systems that I know of.
Hack, nethack, rogue, adventure and Zork all found places on mainframe systems. I still have Zork and adventure for the current IBM systems. I've not seen a DEC (compaq) system in years.

Yep, you'll never hear a nerd say, "Kirk,could kick Picard's ass..." The person saying that will be Rico Suave. :rofl:

LOL! Exactly. New study proves nerds are happier. Ok, I made that up, but it's probably true.

Thanks, but you forgot the little line over the last 67 so everybody knows it's repeating.

Ok, that's fine. See, if I were a math nerd, I'd know what that line is called.

Ummm, I think Rachel just settled the argument.

In 1974, we had a game loosely based on Star Trek on an IBM mainframe system (S370).

I played this as well and was my first entree into programming. Time sharing ("The Cloud", for you kids.)

300 baud TeleType machines with paper tape "files". Yeah!

teletype.jpg

Star Wars is basically a kid's movie with some adult content thrown in.

Star Trek is the real deal. :D

Not that I disagree, but who would you choose instead? I can't really think of one director working that can command that budget, that has the background and mindset to do a real job of it. Heck forget Star Trek, who would you pick to make Ringworld or any of the Niven universe into a movie?:dunno:

Perhaps Nolan.
Ridley Scott does ok generally when he is reigned in by sticking to the source material than making up crap on his own.

Han Solo.

Solo....as in you dating career.:wonderwoman:

I went to school with a guy nicknamed "Hand Solo" after someone caught him "tending to himself" in the boy's bathroom after school.

Perhaps Nolan.
Ridley Scott does ok generally when he is reigned in by sticking to the source material than making up crap on his own.

Ridley Scott would be my choice as well. He really is a technical space SciFi geek.

I played this as well and was my first entree into programming. Time sharing ("The Cloud", for you kids.)

300 baud TeleType machines with paper tape "files". Yeah!

teletype.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I remember as a kid all the boxes and boxes of Reems after Reems of paper at home.:lol::lol::lol:

Not one of the US astronaut corps, or anyone in aerospace (Boeing, LM, NASA, etc) have ever mentioned Star Wars as being an influence, motivation or anything else. But many admit to being Star Trek fans/geeks.

Not one of the US astronaut corps, or anyone in aerospace (Boeing, LM, NASA, etc) have ever mentioned Star Wars as being an influence, motivation or anything else. But many admit to being Star Trek fans/geeks.

Well, I work with 130 NASA nerds, and believe me, there are a lot of Star Wars references passed around. Heck, the Exchange just bought us a bunch of tickets to the new Star Wars film. They weren't exactly going around unclaimed.

Though there is some truth to the 30-50-something crowd virtually all being Star Trek fans of one sort or another.

The thing is, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Well, I work with 130 NASA nerds, and believe me, there are a lot of Star Wars references passed around. Heck, the Exchange just bought us a bunch of tickets to the new Star Wars film. They weren't exactly going around unclaimed.

Though there is some truth to the 30-50-something crowd virtually all being Star Trek fans of one sort or another.

The thing is, they aren't mutually exclusive.

:yeahthat: That's what I brought up at the beginning of the thread, the overlap is so large, the question isn't really relevant.

Back