Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which is Nerdier

Star Trek is 100x better, therefore less nerdy. Always has been, always will be.

Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars is pure fantasy. Wizards who fly from city to city on magic boats to fight evil. Just fantasy dressed up as science fiction.

just asking the question is nerdier.

Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars is pure fantasy. Wizards who fly from city to city on magic boats to fight evil. Just fantasy dressed up as science fiction.

:yeahthat: Don't get me wrong, I like both franchises, but they aren't really comparable in anything but cinematic presentation, which they both do sufficiently well for my standards.

They are also both sufficiently nerdy that it would require an electron beam to measure the finish.

68cc670b87f47293cd3e3150a87afc85.jpg

The girl on the left isn't going too be boning fans of either.

Star Trek nerds have been nerdier for much longer.

Star Trek nerds have been nerdier for much longer.

Considering the overlap in populations, and that the nerdiness applies to the individual and not the franchise, I'm not sure that's a safe bet. I think that the champion, and likely majority demographic, will belong to both camps.

I vote that Star Trek is nerdier. There's a big segment of people that grew up with Star Wars and love it, but don't have a nerdy disposition otherwise. They love it the same way someone might be into Indiana Jones - you don't have to be a nerd to appreciate it. Star Trek, I think you kinda do.

Hmmm, let's see, Kirk shagged his way across the galaxy; Luke got a kiss from his sister for luck. Spock had T'pring (well, almost). Leia got Jabba. Han travels with a walking carpet. Picard mowed down Borg with a Tommy gun while rocking a fedora. Luke and Obi Wan got chopped by a mouth breather who turned out to be a fat old bald guy with asthma. The Federation is winning.

Ouch! Forgot about Spock's Brain. But Amok Time!

I think the Middle Earth nerds are nerdier.

I went to the Midnight showing of all three "Lord of the Rings" premiers in a Chicago suburb with a friend. Literally dozens of nerds showed up in costume with notebooks to take notes and dog eared Lord of the Rings" paperbacks to reference and they were not even part of a group! There was open discussion during the showing of the movies about how close the they were to the book and in every instance, the nerds were asked to break up the discussion and leave the theater well after the show.

I think the Middle Earth nerds are nerdier.

I went to the Midnight showing of all three "Lord of the Rings" premiers in a Chicago suburb with a friend. Literally dozens of nerds showed up in costume with notebooks to take notes and dog eared Lord of the Rings" paperbacks to reference and they were not even part of a group! There was open discussion during the showing of the movies about how close the they were to the book and in every instance, the nerds were asked to break up the discussion and leave the theater well after the show.

Yeah, Middle Earthers you find playing D&D, it doesn't get nerdier than that...:lol:

Kirk and Edith Keeler; Spock and Mariette Hartley; Gary Seven and Teri Garr. Sulu and his epée and his revolver. Original recipe Star Trek had way too much cool to be for nerds.

Original recipe Star Trek had way too much cool to be for nerds.

Agreed...real nerds were into Next Generation.

I mean it is not like I received a Christmas present once that was a box set of full blueprints of every deck of the entire Starship Enterprise...nope...not me...

62290171.jpg

(still airs on BBC America channel BTW):yes:

Last edited:
Is there much difference these days? JJ The Hack Abrams dumbed down Trek to Star Wars level.

Kirk and Edith Keeler; Spock and Mariette Hartley; Gary Seven and Teri Garr. Sulu and his epée and his revolver. Original recipe Star Trek had way too much cool to be for nerds.

Yep, you'll never hear a nerd say, "Kirk,could kick Picard's ass..." The person saying that will be Rico Suave. :rofl:

Is there much difference these days? JJ The Hack Abrams dumbed down Trek to Star Wars level.

Not that I disagree, but who would you choose instead? I can't really think of one director working that can command that budget, that has the background and mindset to do a real job of it. Heck forget Star Trek, who would you pick to make Ringworld or any of the Niven universe into a movie?:dunno:

Not that I disagree, but who would you choose instead? I can't really think of one director working that can command that budget, that has the background and mindset to do a real job of it. Heck forget Star Trek, who would you pick to make Ringworld or any of the Niven universe into a movie?:dunno:

James Cameron?

"First the Tranya......."

thanks PAflyer.

Last edited:
Star Trek wins.

Will Chewbacca put on Mouse ears for this movie?

Also, despite the horrid theme, Enterprise was the best series.

Trek is way nerdier.. and better.. to me anyway. I never really felt the appeal of Star Wars that other people do

Star Trek is for people who know they are nerds. Star Wars is for people who don't want to accept they are nerds.

Back