Star Wars Mayhem

I'm sure I will eventually see it. I don't understand the idiocy of paying extra bucks or standing in long lines to see it early.

Ummm... I guess you're not a fan, or you really haven't paid any attention, but the original Star Wars has always been episode IV.
I do not think so. The first WAS the first. It was not released as episode IV, nor were the next two V and VI. It wasn't until Lucas committed to PREQUELS that the numbering (and the title for IV) came along.
Money has everything to do with it. Not just merchandising toys but the videos themselves. The original release of the three Star Wars did not include any numbers. Now you can't miss them.

Zero desire to see this. Only ever seen the orginal movie once and that was enough nonsence for me.

I do not think so. The first WAS the first. It was not released as episode IV, nor were the next two V and VI. It wasn't until Lucas committed to PREQUELS that the numbering (and the title for IV) came along.
Money has everything to do with it. Not just merchandising toys but the videos themselves. The original release of the three Star Wars did not include any numbers. Now you can't miss them.
No way man. Go watch it again. The floatie words always said "Episode IV"
uploadfromtaptalk1445819733289.jpg

It's a throwback to the old serial space opera movies like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe.

No way man. Go watch it again. The floatie words always said "Episode IV"
Not as I recall. When the movie first came out, the "Episode IV" and "A New Hope" weren't included in the scroll. If it had, a lot of people would have been wondering where the first three episodes were, especially after the movie took off.

Han fired first, too... or, rather, he gunned Greedo down in cold blood.

Ron Wanttaja

Not as I recall. When the movie first came out, the "Episode IV" and "A New Hope" weren't included in the scroll. If it had, a lot of people would have been wondering where the first three episodes were, especially after the movie took off.

Han fired first, too... or, rather, he gunned Greedo down in cold blood.

Ron Wanttaja
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...en-did-the-first-star-wars-become-episode-iv/

It always SAID Episode IV. The post above talking about the homage to sci-fi serials had it right it seems. "Episodes" 1 through 3 were added conveniently much later without a lot of foresight involved. I learned something new today :)

Seriously, go back and watch Star Trek 2 again... I first saw it as a kid. It's chock full of subplots, subtle little lines, etc. Compare that to movies made in the past decade or so.... that stuff ain't there anymore.

Khaaaaaan

hqdefault.jpg

Owned the VHS. Great movie...

It was episode IV. I was there. The next were V and VI.

We understood from the beginning that Lucas was making IV first because it had a story that could stand on it's own just in case this crazy thing didn't work.

And Star Trek never had anything that could have stood up to the Death Star...and probably not a Star Destroyer either.

We understood from the beginning that Lucas was making IV first because it had a story that could stand on it's own just in case this crazy thing didn't work.

And Star Trek never had anything that could have stood up to the Death Star...and probably not a Star Destroyer either.

IIRC, the studio would not let him put "IV" on the original movie release because, according to Lucas, the studio thought the viewers were too stupid to understand.

Teenagers blew up the Death Star. I think Kirk could handle it. LOL
I never saw a Star Destroyer do much. Deploy fighters I guess, but even the Falcon picked those off.

Seriously? a Star Wars vs Star Trek battle?

Teenagers blew up the Death Star. I think Kirk could handle it. LOL
I never saw a Star Destroyer do much. Deploy fighters I guess, but even the Falcon picked those off.

Battle sequences at the end of Episode VI are the only epic level space battle I can think of. DS-II blew up several rebel ships with a single shot and they were much, much bigger than anything the Federation has. And several rebel ships were taken out by Star Destroyers in that battle too.

Battle sequences at the end of Episode VI are the only epic level space battle I can think of. DS-II blew up several rebel ships with a single shot and they were much, much bigger than anything the Federation has. And several rebel ships were taken out by Star Destroyers in that battle too.

space battle: Borg vs the Federation

Think shield technology

space battle: Borg vs the Federation

Think shield technology

Both sides have shields. And the Federation lost the battle of Wolf 359 without inflicting a single casualty.

The ADHD editing used today gives me a headache.

If you want to compare old-time movie greatness and modern blech, watch the 1947 version of "Miracle on 34th Street" then the flat, lifeless 1994 "remake."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Have you ever read Milton, Captain?"

"Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Reminds me of the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". I think the original had much better and believable story line than the remake.

Jean

I'm not going on opening night but I have seen every one except episode IV when they were released in the theaters.

I, unlike many it appears, was able to enjoy the newest episodes (I, II, III) and remember Lucas explaining that episode IV was chosen to be first because it was the story line that would capture the viewers. The prequels were the back story but couldn't be told properly with the graphics of the day and wouldn't have created the fan base that IV did. It will be hard to live up to IV, V, VI but I have high hopes.

I'm not going on opening night but I have seen every one except episode IV when they were released in the theaters.

I, unlike many it appears, was able to enjoy the newest episodes (I, II, III) and remember Lucas explaining that episode IV was chosen to be first because it was the story line that would capture the viewers. The prequels were the back story but couldn't be told properly with the graphics of the day and wouldn't have created the fan base that IV did. It will be hard to live up to IV, V, VI but I have high hopes.

I personally have no issues with I, II, & III, I never really understood what the objections were about.:dunno:

I personally have no issues with I, II, & III, I never really understood what the objections were about.:dunno:

I liked the stoyline of I, II, and III. The biggest problem for me was horrible acting. Hayden Christensen was the wrong choice for Anakin. Natalie Portman was ok, but the chemistry, or lack thereof, between her and Hayden really showed through and brought the movies down a bit.

I liked the stoyline of I, II, and III. The biggest problem for me was horrible acting. Hayden Christensen was the wrong choice for Anakin. Natalie Portman was ok, but the chemistry, or lack thereof, between her and Hayden really showed through and brought the movies down a bit.
+1000

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'll grant that, but his campy acting lends a bit of a comic book feel to it which I think is a suitable enough choice for the genre. Who would you suggest casting and to what change in effect?

I'll grant that, but his campy acting lends a bit of a comic book feel to it which I think is a suitable enough choice for the genre. Who would you suggest casting and to what change in effect?

I don't know who I would cast. I can't even think of which actors back then who I could consider. I wouldn't say his acting was campy, but more like a forced akwardness.

What storyline? See review above.

A fleet of unknown spaceships blockade a planet over taxes, and take orders from Palpatine for unknown reasons. Two Jedi Knights are dispatched to negotiate taxes. People on the planet are supposedly suffering, but nobody ever sees any suffering and everyone looks pretty well fed. Jedi end up staying on the planet to meet a giant jackass rabbit. And it gets worse from there.

The review above, really is entertaining, as well as shows how totally foooooked the Phantom Menace is. The film student who did it also manages to sneak a storyline of his own and comedy into his seven part thing that has more value than the abhorrent writing in Menace.

What storyline? See review above.

A fleet of unknown spaceships blockade a planet over taxes, and take orders from Palpatine for unknown reasons. Two Jedi Knights are dispatched to negotiate taxes. People on the planet are supposedly suffering, but nobody ever sees any suffering and everyone looks pretty well fed. Jedi end up staying on the planet to meet a giant jackass rabbit. And it gets worse from there.

The review above, really is entertaining, as well as shows how totally foooooked the Phantom Menace is. The film student who did it also manages to sneak a storyline of his own and comedy into his seven part thing that has more value than the abhorrent writing in Menace.

It's a major franchise that already has announced release dates of 2 or 3 more over the next 5 years and the beginning of I leaves people ready for a whole new prequel franchise in the same universe.

Start here. I alluded to this critical review earlier, but didn't have the link handy. 70 minutes, 7 ten minute YouTube videos (you tube's maximum upload back then) ...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

I just watched half of the first one.:rofl: I don't disagree with what he says except the Amadala roll. However I enjoy the movie for everything he complains about. Yes, it is stupid. I get to spend an hour and a half enjoying being stupid and taking in the latest in the craft of Sci Fi space cinematography.

As for Amadalla, I think Portman did a very credible job of portraying the role of the character. Think, this is a young girl basically conscripted to be queen in a time of conflict, that is scary level responsability, and she managed to get that subliminal trepidation into her voice that you would expect from a girl so young put in such a position.

Now back to you tube to finish the series...

I just watched half of the first one.:rofl: I don't disagree with what he says except the Amadala roll. However I enjoy the movie for everything he complains about. Yes, it is stupid. I get to spend an hour and a half enjoying being stupid and taking in the latest in the craft of Sci Fi space cinematography.

As for Amadalla, I think Portman did a very credible job of portraying the role of the character. Think, this is a young girl basically conscripted to be queen in a time of conflict, that is scary level responsability, and she managed to get that subliminal trepidation into her voice that you would expect from a girl so young put in such a position.

Now back to you tube to finish the series...

Definitely have to keep going. Haha. He rips the stuff they wrote for her character to do later on. Like when the Senate offers to send help, she says, "nah, I'll just go back alone"...

(And when she arrives the mystery blockade people are of course, gone without explanation as to why they left.)

And the whole pat the droid on the head thing with her stunt double, as if anyone pays any attention to droids or thinks they're human in any of the first three movies other than Luke talking to himself and his droid in his spaceship when nobody can hear him. But bring a droid before the (fake) queen for a pat on the head? Nobody'd do that.

Those reviews just keep getting better and better as you work your way to the end, you know, kinda like ... A real story arc?

I loved when he interviews four people and asks them without describing how they look, or what their job is in the movie, to speak about the characters. They just sit there and stare. No character development at all.

Patting the head of a Drone is not much different from patting the nose of a plane or dash of a car.

BTW just ran across this.

Portman said the Star Wars character (or one should argue, lack thereof) almost deep sixed her entire acting career, because it made directors think she was a horrible actress.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-career-nearly-ruined-Star-Wars-prequels.html

Yes, that is the fault of the roll though, not Portman IMO. Like I said, I think she portrayed the roll of a young scared girl with incredible, and unbidden, responsability vey well.

Yes, that is the fault of the roll though, not Portman IMO. Like I said, I think she portrayed the roll of a young scared girl with incredible, and unbidden, responsability vey well.

Well, if the nonexistent "threat" you never see to her "people" were shown, or any reasons why she should feel threatened...

Besides a mystery blockade that magically disappears when she returns to the planet by herself after turning down the Galactic Senate's offer to come look for themselves after she went to the Senate supposedly seeking assistance.

Hahaha.

It's truly s***ty writing. Beyond s***ty.

Grab some popcorn and set that review on auto play some evening. It gets funnier and funnier and then you realize Lucas is a retard somewhere along the way.

Well, if the nonexistent "threat" you never see to her "people" were shown, or any reasons why she should feel threatened...

Besides a mystery blockade that magically disappears when she returns to the planet by herself after turning down the Galactic Senate's offer to come look for themselves after she went to the Senate supposedly seeking assistance.

Hahaha.

It's truly s***ty writing. Beyond s***ty.

Grab some popcorn and set that review on auto play some evening. It gets funnier and funnier and then you realize Lucas is a retard somewhere along the way.

I don't defend the writing or directing, and one thing Netfix has taught me is there is much worse.:lol: I have known Lucas was a retard for a long time.

The only issue I take with what he says is about Portman's portrayal of the roll, but like I said, his points are irrelevant to why I enjoy the movie.

Last edited:
Notice how lately every expensive FX is in the trailer?

When you go to watch the movie, there's nothing new. You've seen every mega-special effect they had already.

That's why I'm just going to try to avoid watching the trailer at all costs. Then, I might actually enjoy the movie! I'm also trying to avoid it because I haven't watched all of the movies yet.

What Lucas did better than anyone else was retain the franchise marketing rights. That is why he is a wealthy assed retard.

Back