Standard Operating Procedures!

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
What are some standard operating procedures, callouts, ...etc that you do when you go flying?

Good question.

Aside from most usual SOP for private pilots (airspeed alive and such) I try to call out 1,000 to go and 100 to go during climbs and descents (autopilot helps because it will also do the 1,000 ft callout if I set it). I try to also call out 30 degrees to go on headings but forget that one a lot.

I also utilize the landing light as a "cleared to land" reminder when operating at a towered field.

Here are the callouts I use on takeoff:

Power set (verify full power is being produced)
Engine gauges in the green
Airspeed is alive
Rotate
No runway gear up
500 ft flaps up

On hot days I incorporate 70% airspeed and if I am past the halfway point.

Power is good
Final is clear (both before turning final and before turning onto the active)
Gear Up
Gear Down

Really depends on who your flying for and what your flying. Are you looking for anything specific?

The only thing I do regardless of what I'm flying is on short final "three green no red."

What do you do in a Skyhawk? Or a Cutlass RG (it has one green and one amber)?

Most planes with retractable gear that I've flown had 3 green lights, but for the few that have just one I still keep the call standard "3 green...." If I fly something with fixed gear the call still remains the same, that way I won't forget the gear when it actually can retract. Even in the Pitts I make sure the gear is down.

Most planes with retractable gear that I've flown had 3 green lights, but for the few that have just one I still keep the call standard "3 green...." If I fly something with fixed gear the call still remains the same, that way I won't forget the gear when it actually can retract. Even in the Pitts I make sure the gear is down.

Only problem with that is when you get into airplanes with other gear features. If you are relying on some universal callout that may or may not apply to the bird you happen to be flying, how are you going to remember to check things like gear in the mirror?

Also, at the other extreme, it doesn't work in unique airplanes like the DC-3, where you need to verify that the gear is latched, hydraulic handle neutral, pressure is up and you have green light.

If your system works with what you fly, fine, but something to think about.

Well you could alway add this modification just to be safe...:)

Attachments

• hosking2.jpg
    hosking2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 43
Most of these are callouts what about procedures? For example I not too long ago learned about turning on the strobes when crossing runways.

Most of these are callouts what about procedures? For example I not too long ago learned about turning on the strobes when crossing runways.

Well, you asked for callouts.

Procedures?

Lower the gear.

Listen for the gear.

Check the gear.

Look at the gear (if you can).

Gear is really important. :)

About those strobes, I don't like to use them on the ground. They are BLINDING. I'll turn them on right before takeoff and off as turning off the runway, at night. In bright daylight, I'll just leave them on. When you cross a runway, you can announce it. It's not conventional, but you can do so even at a towered airport.

Only problem with that is when you get into airplanes with other gear features. If you are relying on some universal callout that may or may not apply to the bird you happen to be flying, how are you going to remember to check things like gear in the mirror?

Also, at the other extreme, it doesn't work in unique airplanes like the DC-3, where you need to verify that the gear is latched, hydraulic handle neutral, pressure is up and you have green light.

If your system works with what you fly, fine, but something to think about.

Let me clarify what I said earlier. This is only my short final gear check, the gear should already be down at this point. What your talking about is a pre-landing check, and that I agree is very different in each aircraft.

For IFR I'll call out 500 ft increment altitudes when I'm given a climb or descent clearance. For approaches I'll call glide slope and localizer alive. 500 ft increments until 1000 ft above MDA/DA then I'll call 200 ft increments to the MDA/DA. VFR I'm more relaxed I'll call airspeed alive and clear when making turns or taxiing on the runway

Let me clarify what I said earlier. This is only my short final gear check, the gear should already be down at this point. What your talking about is a pre-landing check, and that I agree is very different in each aircraft.

Okay, got ya.

for me its less about calls and more about habits that can keep me from making an oops. At work I see calls become so rote they are almost worthless...none the less

"Clear left, Clear right" Clear to cross" (runway)...ALL lights on while crossing a runway.

set guard in #2 once before Takeoff checklist is complete (then you know you did it once you line up)

actually brief your specific action plan should the engine quit right after Takeoff

load ground in standby once you are cleared to land...if you don't see .9 500 off the deck you need to ask some questions or check your freq.

always set Takeoff trim after landing no matter what

Last edited:
SOPs and call-outs are two different things. A call-out can be part of an SOP. I'm big on SOPs that are "Standard" enough that they become habits and this less likely to be missed. Call-outs are a technique that is primarily for multi-pilot crews but can be valuable for those for whom audible self-talk is a good way to brief/confirm procedures. I probably should use them more than I do.

I like to think most of what I do in an airplane is flow-based SOP but the one I actively cultivated (and try to cultivate in my students) is my gear down procedure in retracts. In my case, IFR, it's the standard "gear down-go down." VFR, my gear comes down when I am within 3 miles of the runway and at pattern altitude.

always set Takeoff trim after landing no matter what

I've started doing that when I clean up the aircraft. I need to get better about it when doing touch and gos

I'm not a fan of the lights on crossing the runway. I suppose it can't hurt but a better strategy would be to look both ways first. At night it makes more sense and during the day it's all but worthless.

It's one of those things that someone came up with and even though it makes zero difference people swear by it because, after all, who wants to REDUCE safety? So it stays and people do it.

Pee before I take off. Sometimes before I get in the plane.

for me its less about calls and more about habits that can keep me from making an oops.

This is an excellent point. I'd add make it a habit to think about the particular conditions we're looking for in the callouts.

Engine green is a nice call but the specifics are more important - is power where you want it to be? is the fuel flow correct? fuel flow is critical on a boosted engine or a high compression engine, Oil pressure should be correct for the oil temperature.

Thinking about the specifics helps me prevent the calls from becoming rote which was something I was bad about when flying a 172.

What about take-off briefings? Sorry if I keep adding but I just like to know what people regularly do when they fly.

What about take-off briefings? Sorry if I keep adding but I just like to know what people regularly do when they fly.
What do you mean by takeoff briefings? For yourself? For passengers?

For myself, especially since I fly different planes, I have a short checklist of takeoff items to review before I take the runway, like V-speeds, flap setting, and boost pump. It also covers the changes I will make when reaching a safe altitude.

I had one instructor who liked the takeoff performance data and the plan for the departure verbalized. "Straight out departure, below 500' we will land straight ahead in the golf course, 500-1000' we will make only 30 degrees of turn, above 1000' we will return to the runway. Normal takeoff with 10 flap we should be airborne at X feet." Etc.

I had one instructor who liked the takeoff performance data and the plan for the departure verbalized. "Straight out departure, below 500' we will land straight ahead in the golf course, 500-1000' we will make only 30 degrees of turn, above 1000' we will return to the runway. Normal takeoff with 10 flap we should be airborne at X feet." Etc.
A common practice in a twin is to verbalize the takeoff including specifics about when to raise the gear, the point where one's reaction to an engine failure will be to stop/land vs continue on one, and the basics of the procedure for either case.

E.G. "Normal takeoff. Lift the nose at 85 Kt, accel in ground effect to 100 Kt then raise the gear. If an engine quits before the gear is retracted, close throttles land straight ahead. Beyond that, confirm all levers forward, gear and flaps up, maintain Vyse and heading, identify, verify, feather.

Seems like a lot to go over on each takeoff but doing so really helps with remembering it all in a real emergency.

Cessna 172
Pilot flying/pilot nonflying duties; runway used; turnaround altitude for power loss; initial heading; initial altitude.

"I have the controls, you have the radios. We're departing on 20, left crosswind departure going up to 3,000. If we lose power below 800, we're landing straight ahead. Above 800, return to land on 2. Any questions?"

Runway lineup: When on the runway and on centerline - Runway ID, heading, check intersections.
"Runway 20 - heading 200 - intersections clear."

In my Cherokee

" Ill abort for any abnormality below 60 kts, after 60 kts only for the loss of engine power, fire or loss of control, if a door opens I will continue the takeoff. In the air I will not turn back for the field below 1200AGL, Ill plan to land along the highway.

At work

"Ill abort for any abnormality prior to 80 kts, after that Ill only abort for a master warning or anything else that will not allow the plane to fly. At V1 we are committed to flight, Once established in the second segment Ill fly with the radios and you will run the checklist/QRH and we will coordinate for a return to KABC. We are flying the Ohare 8 departure, 5000, 250 until advised. Ill plan to handfly until 10,000 Any questions? "

Remember to keep a departure brief BRIEF!! I see so many that turn these into a 1 hour lecture and that is useless. The point is to load your semantic memory (the kind that can remember a phone number for a few minutes) with essential action knowledge if you suddenly find your self in a stressed situation.

Last edited:
PROCEDURES
NORMAL PROCEDURES
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES -
STANDARD CALLOUTS

A319/A320 FLEET PRO-NOR-SOP-90 P 1/12
FCOM A to C → 08 FEB 12

COMMUNICATIONS AND STANDARD TERMS
Applicable to: ALL
Standard phraseology is essential to ensure effective crew communication. The phraseology should
be concise and exact. The following Chapter lists the callouts that should be used as standard. They
supplement the callouts identified in the SOP.
These standard Airbus callouts are also designed to promote situational awareness, and to ensure
crew understanding of systems and their use in line operation.

CHECKLIST CALLOUTS
‐ “CHECK”: A command for the other pilot to check an item.
‐ “CHECKED”: A response that an item has been checked.
‐ “CROSSCHECKED”: A callout verifying information from both pilot stations.
If a checklist needs to be interrupted, announce: “HOLD CHECKLIST AT ___” and “RESUME
CHECKLIST AT ___” for the continuation.
Upon completion of a checklist announce: “__CHECKLIST COMPLETE”.

ACTIONS COMMANDED BY PF
GENERAL
The following commands do not necessarily initiate a guidance mode change, eg.: selected to
managed/managed to selected. The intent is to ensure clear, consistent, standard communication
between crewmembers.
All actions performed on the FCU and MCDU must be checked on the PFD and ND (eg.: “FL 350
blue”, “FL 200 magenta"). Ensure that the correct FCU knob is used, then verify indications on the
PFD/ND.
SET
The “SET” command means using an FCU knob to set a value, but not to change a mode.
SET is accomplished by only rotating the appropriate selection knob.
Example:
‐ ”SET GO AROUND ALTITUDE__”
‐ ”SET QNH __”
‐ “SET FL __”
‐ “SET HDG __”

MANAGE/PULL
The “MANAGE” command means pushing an FCU knob to engage, or arm, a managed mode or
target.
The “PULL” command means pulling an FCU knob to engage a selected mode or target. Example:
‐ "PULL HDG 090” (HDG/TRK knob is pulled and turned).
‐ “MANAGE NAV” (HDG/TRK knob is pushed).
‐ “FL 190 PULL” (ALT knob is turned and pulled).
‐ “FL 190 MANAGE” (ALT knob is turned and pushed).
‐ “PULL SPEED 250 KNOTS” (SPD/MACH knob is pulled and turned).
‐ “MANAGE SPEED” (SPD/MACH knob is pushed).
Note: If the value was previously set, there is no requirement to repeat the figure.
Simply call e.g. PULL HDG: PULL SPEED: FL PULL.
The VS/FPA knob has no managed function. The standard callouts for the use of this knob are as
follows:
V/S Plus (or Minus) 700 PULL, or
FPA Minus 3 ° PULL (V/S/FPA knob is turned and pulled)
PUSH TO LEVEL OFF (V/S/FPA knob is pushed)
ARM
The “ARM __” command means arming a system by pushing the specified FCU button.
e.g. : “ARM APPROACH”
e.g. : “ARM LOC.”
ON/OFF
The simple ON or OFF command is used for the autopilot, flight directors, autothrust and the bird
(flight path vector).
e.g.: BIRD ON (The HDG-V/S / TRK-FPA pb is pushed.)
FMA
The PF should call out any FMA change, unless specified differently (e.g. CAT II & III task sharing).
Therefore, the PF should announce:
‐ All armed modes with the associated color (e.g. blue, magenta): “G/S blue”, “LOC blue”.
‐ All active modes without the associated color (e.g. green, white): “NAV”, “ALT”.

The PNF should check and respond, “CHECKED” to all FMA changes called out by the PF.
ALTITUDE
The PNF calls out “one thousand to go” when passing 1 000 ft before the cleared altitude or FL, and
the PF calls out “checked”.
FLAPS OR GEAR CALLOUTS
FLAPS' CALLOUTS
FLAPS' CONFIGURATION CALLOUT
1 "FLAPS ONE"
1 + F "FLAPS ONE"
0 "FLAPS ZERO"
The reply will be given when selecting the new flap position.
e.g.:
CALLOUT REMARK
PF "FLAPS ONE"
"SPEED CHECKED" PNF checks the speed:
‐ Above the S or F speed and accelerating (Takeoff)
PNF ‐ Below VFE next and decelerating (Approach)
"FLAPS ONE" PNF selects the FLAPS lever position and replies after checking the blue
number on the ECAM flaps indicator to confirm the correct selection has been
made.
GEAR CALLOUTS
CALLOUT REMARKS
PF "GEAR UP (DOWN)"
PNF "GEAR UP (DOWN)" The PNF selects the L/G lever position and
replies after checking the red lights on the LDG
GEAR indicator to confirm gear operation.

FLIGHT PARAMETERS IN APPROACH
PNF will make callouts for the following conditions during final approach. Attitude callouts also to be
made through to landing.
‐ “SPEED” if the speed decreases below the speed target - 5 kt or increases above the speed target
+ 10 kt.
‐ “SINK RATE” when V/S is greater than -1 000 ft/min.
‐ “BANK” when bank angle becomes greater than 7 °.
‐ “PITCH” when pitch attitude becomes lower than -2.5 ° or higher than +10 °.
‐ "LOC” or “GLIDE” when either localizer or glide slope deviation is:
• ¼ dot LOC; 1 dot GS.
‐ “COURSE” when greater than ½ dot or 2.5 ° (VOR) or 5 ° (ADF).
‐ “__ FT HIGH (LOW)” at altitude checks points.
FLIGHT PARAMETERS IN GO-AROUND
During a go-around, the PNF will make a callout for the following conditions:
‐ ”BANK”: If the bank angle becomes greater than 7 °,
‐ ”PITCH”: If the pitch attitude becomes greater than 20 ° up or less than 10 ° up,
‐ ”SINK RATE”: If there is no climb rate.
PF/PNF DUTIES TRANSFER
To transfer control, flight crewmembers must use the following callouts:
‐ To give control: The pilot calls out “YOU HAVE CONTROL”. The other pilot accepts this transfer
by calling out “I HAVE CONTROL”, before assuming PF duties.
‐ To take control: The pilot calls out “I HAVE CONTROL”. The other pilot accepts this transfer by
calling out “YOU HAVE CONTROL”, before assuming PNF duties.

ABNORMAL AND EMERGENCY CALL OUTS
ECAM PROCEDURES
1. “ECAM ACTION” is commanded by PF when required.
2. “CLEAR __ (title of the system) ?” is asked by the PNF for confirmation by the PF, that all
actions have been taken/reviewed on the present WARNING/CAUTION or SYSTEM PAGE.
e.g.: CLEAR HYDRAULIC ?
3. “CLEAR __ (title of the system)” is the command by the PF that the action and review is
confirmed. For status page; REMOVE STATUS will be used.
4. “ECAM ACTIONS COMPLETE” is the announcement by the PNF that all APPLICABLE
ACTIONS have been completed.
5. Should the PF require an action from the PNF during ECAM procedures, the order “STOP
ECAM” will be used. When ready to resume the ECAM the order “CONTINUE ECAM” will be
used.

MEMORY ITEMS
The aim of such callouts is to callout the appropriate procedure by calling out, in most cases,
the title of the procedure. This will allow the crew to be aware of the situation and be prepared to
properly react (crew coordination, task sharing and communication).
GPWS
As soon as avoidance maneuver is envisaged.
"PULL UP TOGA"

REACTIVE WINDSHEAR
"WINDSHEAR TOGA"

UNRELIABLE SPEED INDICATION
"UNRELIABLE SPEED"

TCAS
As soon as "TRAFFIC" warning is triggered
"TCAS, I have control"

EMERGENCY DESCENT
"EMERGENCY DESCENT"

LOSS OF BRAKING
"LOSS OF BRAKING"

SUMMARY FOR EACH PHASE
TO REMOVE GROUND SUPPLY
EVENT PF or PNF GND Mech
Initial ground contact GROUND (from) COCKPIT
COCKPIT (from) GROUND
External __ disconnection REMOVE EXTERNAL __
EXTERNAL__ REMOVED
BEFORE ENGINE START/PUSH BACK
EVENT PF PNF
Before start up clearance received BEFORE START C/L
DOWN TO THE LINE
After start up clearance received BELOW THE LINE
BEFORE START C/L COMPLETE
PUSH BACK/ENGINE START
EVENT PF GND Mech.
When ready for pushback, and pushback
clearance received from ATC
GROUND (from) COCKPIT,
CLEARED FOR PUSH
COCKPIT (from) GROUND, RELEASE
BRAKES
Start of push BRAKES RELEASED READY
TO PUSH
When ready to start engines CLEAR TO START ?
CLEAR TO START
STARTING ENG(S)—
When pushback completed SET BRAKES
BRAKES SET
When ready to disconnect (after engine
started, and parameters are stabilized)
CLEAR TO DISCONNECT
(hand signals on left/right)
DISCONNECTING (hand signals on left/right)

AFTER ENGINE START
EVENT PF PNF
All engines started and stabilized and
GND is disconnected
AFTER START C/L
AFTER START C/L COMPLETE
TAXI
EVENT PF PNF
When taxi clearance obtained CLEAR LEFT (RIGHT) SIDE
CLEAR RIGHT (LEFT) SIDE
Brake transfer check BRAKE CHECK
PRESSURE ZERO
Flight control check in the following
sequence (can be done before start of
taxi)
FLIGHT CONTROL CHECK
1. Elevators FULL UP, FULL DOWN, NEUTRAL
2. Ailerons/Spoilers FULL LEFT, FULL RIGHT, NEUTRAL
3. Rudder(1) RUDDER FULL LEFT, FULL RIGHT, NEUTRAL
During taxi BEFORE TAKEOFF C/L
DOWN TO THE LINE
Lining up on the runway BELOW THE LINE
BEFORE TAKEOFF C/L COMPLETE
(1) The PNF should follow pedal movement with his/her feet
TAXI
EVENT PF PNF
When taxi clearance obtained CLEAR LEFT (RIGHT) SIDE
CLEAR RIGHT (LEFT) SIDE
BrRaAkeK Ec hCeHckECK Flight control check in the following
sequence (the check is possible before
the start of taxi)
FLIGHT CONTROL CHECK
1. Elevators FULL UP, FULL DOWN, NEUTRAL
2. Ailerons/Spoilers FULL LEFT, FULL RIGHT, NEUTRAL
3. Rudder(1) RUDDER FULL LEFT, FULL RIGHT, NEUTRAL
During taxi BEFORE TAKEOFF C/L
DOWN TO THE LINE

TAXI
EVENT PF PNF
Line up on the runway BELOW THE LINE
BEFORE TAKEOFF C/L COMPLETE
(1) The PNF should follow pedal movement with his/her feet
TAKEOFF
EVENT PF PNF
Setting thrust levers to initial stabilization
value
TAKEOFF
Before passing 80 kt THRUST SET
At 100 kt ONE HUNDRED KNOTS
CHECKED
At V1 V1
At VR ROTATE
Gear retraction POSITIVE CLIMB
GEAR UP
GEAR UP
If AP is engaged by PNF AP 1(2) ON
Checklist AFTER TAKEOFF/CLIMB C/L
DOWN TO THE LINE
At transition altitude BELOW THE LINE
AFTER TAKEOFF/CLIMB C/L COMPLETE
MALFUNCTION BEFORE V1 AT TAKEOFF
EVENT CAPT F/O
If GO decision GO
If RTO decision
‐ REV green on EWD
‐ Deceleration
STOP
REVERSE GREEN(1)
DECEL(2)
(1) In case of failure or no positive deceleration, NO REVERSE ENGINE__or NO REVERSE
(2) In case of failure or no positive deceleration, NO DECEL
DECEL callout means that the deceleration is felt by the crew, and confirmed by the speed trend on the PFD. It can
also be confirmed by the DECEL light.

ALTIMETER SETTING CHANGES TO/FROM QNH/QFE-STD
EVENT PF PNF
SET STANDARD
(SET QNH/QFE)
Barometric setting change and
subsequent altimeter cross-check
CHECKED
STANDARD CROSS-CHECKED (QNH/QFE)
PASSING FL__(__FT) NOW
APPROACH AND LANDING
EVENT PF PNF
Approach checklist APPROACH C/L
APPROACH C/L COMPLETE
Activation of approach Phase ACTIVATE APPROACH
PHASE
APPROACH PHASE ACTIVATED
RA alive RADIO ALTIMETER ALIVE(1)(2)
CHECKED
At “GS*” or below GO altitude for NPA SET GA ALTITUDE __FT
GA ALTITUDE — SET,
FAF PASSING__(Fix Name),__FT,
CHECKED
Landing checklist LANDING C/L
LANDING C/L COMPLETE
1 000 ft RA ONE THOUSAND(2)
CHECKED
100 ft above MDA/DH ONE HUNDRED ABOVE
CHECKED
MDA/DH visual reference MINIMUM
CONTINUE
MDA/DH no visual reference MINIMUM
GO AROUND-FLAPS
ONE HUNDRED FIFTY(2)
After touchdown SPOILERS(3)
Ground spoilers extended
REV green on EWD
REVERSE GREEN(4)
Deceleration DECEL (5)

APPROACH AND LANDING
EVENT PF PNF
At 70 kt SEVENTY KNOTS
CHECKED
(1) Crew awareness, crew should now keep RA in scan to landing
(2) PNF monitors pin-programmed auto callout, or announces if inoperative.
(3) If the spoilers are not extended, call NO SPOILER
(4) If no reverse deployment, call NO REVERSE ENGINE__ or NO REVERSE, as appropriate.
(5) DECEL Callout means that the deceleration is felt by the crew, and confirmed by the speed trend on the PFD. It can
also be confirmed by the DECEL light. If no positive deceleration, NO DECEL.
GO AROUND
EVENT PF PNF
GO AROUND decision GO AROUND – FLAPS
Flaps retraction FLAPS—
Gear retraction POSITIVE CLIMB
GEAR UP
GEAR UP
Checklist AFTER TAKEOFF/CLIMB C/L
DOWN TO THE LINE
At transition altitude BELOW THE LINE
AFTER TAKEOFF/CLIMB C/L COMPLETE