St. Pats: How do you like your corned beef and cabbage?

How do you like your corned beef&cabbage on St Pats day?

• Boiled corned beef

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Steamed corned beef

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Baked/roasted/broiled corned beef

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Smoked corned beef

• Fried corned beef

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Boiled cabbage

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Steamed cabbage

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Fried cabbage

• Cole slaw

• Total voters
Had to laugh at this. In the cafeteria at the dungeon where I work, they had Corned beef and all the fixin's: boiled beef, boiled cabbage, boiled potatoes and boiled carrots. It looked to be completely absent of any flavor whatsoever. I couldn't even bring myself to pay the $7 for it. I had a Snickers!

Well, I left out that I would be sharing said meal with my Chinese wife and my part Australian Cattle Dog and part American Staffordshire Terrier pup. I didn't want to appear to be overly multi-cultural. I do live in the southeast after all.

Your wife already cooked half of each dog?! :)

tl;dr: Brined our own corned beef this year and it was great.

So, living in Germany, it seems you can't just go to the store and buy a "corned" beef. So, back in February when we realized this, Mrs. Sluggo decided she was going to "corn" our own beef for St. Pat's. Looked for a couple of recipes, and then realized that the pickling salt (pökelsalz) here has a totally different concentration of Sodium Nitrate than the pickling salt in the States. So with a little magic on the slide ruler we came up with a conversion and tried it on a 2 kg beef brisket last month. It was delicious! Best corned beef I've had in recent memory. Mrs. Sluggo has a 7 kg brisket brining right now for tonights party. We'll be making our own corned beef from scratch from now on. Easy to do.

The only thing corned beef is good for is a Ruben although I greatly prefer a Rachel.

Cheers

I've been making homemade kraut over the past year. Very simple and tasty! I've also corned whole briskets myself instead of buying the slimy prepared ones in a bag. Again, quite simple. The hardest thing about homemade kraut and corned brisket is waiting for the magic to happen.
Good tip for you. Use distilled water to set up your brine. You won’t have to wait so long for the magic.

The only thing corned beef is good for is a Ruben although I greatly prefer a Rachel.

Cheers

Yeah me too.

images

You do know it’s not an traditional Irish dish

Next you’ll be telling us that Cinco de Mayo isn’t a big deal in Mexico or that easter bunnies don’t lay eggs.
Why would you eat bunny eggs? last I heard they were called smart pills.
And why would you celebrate Mexico's independence day, do they celebrate the 4th of July?

I just don't get it. ;)

Why would you eat bunny eggs? last I heard they were called smart pills.
And why would you celebrate Mexico's independence day, do they celebrate the 4th of July?

I just don't get it. ;)

The eggs are typically chocolate.

Reduced priced margaritas.

Any other questions?!

Geesh, some people.

I must admit, until this thread, I had no idea corned beef and cabbage was a St. Patricks Day thing.

Back