SR20 down 4 fatalities

sux. 1/2 mile from the runway. any audio yet?

Last time I rode in an sr-20 there were 3 of us and we had to defuel the airplane to just barely get within weight limits.

I met a guy this morning getting ready to take his private checkride and was buying an A36 so he could take his whole family. It worries me when new pilots immediately assume all airplanes must be like the trainer they're learning to fly.

Last edited:
Possibly.

I was just going by a post in January where the owner was looking for an instructor to train him and his son to fly an SR20.
Without seeing the context, that could mean a transition to the Cirrus....??

Bad weekend. Two planes down in Ma. One at Plymouth. One at Chatham. Plymouth pilot was med flighted to Boston. It looks like it cartwheel ed and ended up on its roof. The Chatham crash was a gearup with no ineries.

Bad weekend. Two planes down in Ma. One at Plymouth. One at Chatham. Plymouth pilot was med flighted to Boston. It looks like it cartwheel ed and ended up on its roof. The Chatham crash was a gearup with no ineries.

My understanding is that a gust of wind caught the plane in Plymouth. The winds up here have been brutal lately. My flights have been canceled more often than not these days.

Looks like they hit very hard.
635922802377096513-plane-crash_1456706074511_516606_ver1.0.JPG

I met a guy this morning getting ready to take his private checkride and was buying an A36 so he could take his whole family. It worries me when new pilots immediately assume all airplanes must be like the trainer they're learning to fly.

As long as they're properly trained and checked out they should be fine. Many times though they're behind the airplane, and the weather due to inexperience. And there's always "get-home-it is" that leads to bad decisions and fuel exhaustion. That's when bad things happen. RIP

It looks flat where it ended up, but they may have stalled after clearing trees.
navastoa+plane+crash+2+USE.jpg

The nose is destroyed, it must have come in steep.

But how do you delaminate a wing???

Another friend posted there was a Houston area CFI on board also killed. Russ Reina.

(I don't know him, just passing info along. I assume if the friend is posting it, it's released info.)

RIP.

****e, bad juju. Interesting that the story included this tidbit:
"data obtained from the FAA shows the Cirrus-model planes have a long history of fatal crashes, dating back to 2001, with more than 280 recorded crashes."

Also interesting that even if you mis-spell a bad word, POA masks it. What if that letter combination happen to appear in a legitimate word...?

Here is the audio clip, starts around 9:45 http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kdwh/KDWH2-Gnd-Twr-App-Feb-28-2016-1400Z.mp3

Not much to be heard or learned from it as it is very hard to hear and there is nothing of distress. I was up at the same time and can hear myself on here but I don't remember hearing anything yesterday when we were flying home other normal chatter. Would like to know what happened here. I will say that listening to the guys leaving DWH it is clear they struggle with proper radio communication. No runway read backs, no tail number after they speak, etc.

My assumption that he was a student pilot learning to fly in a newly purchase plane was apparently correct.

As far as struggling with the radio, instructors will often let their students handle the radio, even if the transmissions are far from perfect. It's how they learn.

Sad about those young girls as well as the two adults of course.

I would wonder, if it was a new owner learning a new airplane as suggested, why would you bring your children along for the transition lesson?

I would wonder, if it was a new owner learning a new airplane as suggested, why would you bring your children along for the transition lesson?

Just for a ride. The student probably asked if they wanted to go along and as just about any child would do, they said yes. Nothing unusual about it. I've had students bring their wife, gf, and/or kids many times.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to drop their kids off somewhere. I've taken my son on IFR lessons before and I've had to take him up on flights when my wife was working.

Of course it could have also been as simple as "Wanna go for a plane ride in Daddy's new Cirrus??".

Either way, its super sad to see two young lives snuffed out like that. It's going to be interesting to see what the NTSB comes up with on this. W&B issue? Training issue? Stall/Spin?

Back