Squawk VFR

ColoPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ColoPilot
The thread about forgetting to squawk VFR reminded me of a question:

I was flying from a class D airport, through class B airspace, landing at another class D airport -- all VFR.

Outbound I started with 1200 as the transponder code, was assigned a code by the class B controller, handed off to class D tower and landed with the assigned code.

On the flight back same situation, except as soon as I was handed off to the class D tower, they told me to squawk 1200.

Should I have changed to 1200 when handed off to the tower or wait until a controller tells me to (assuming I'm still talking to someone).

I would wait until told to by a controller (any controller).

I was flying from a class D airport, through class B airspace, landing at another class D airport -- all VFR.

Outbound I started with 1200 as the transponder code, was assigned a code by the class B controller, handed off to class D tower and landed with the assigned code.

On the flight back same situation, except as soon as I was handed off to the class D tower, they told me to squawk 1200.

Should I have changed to 1200 when handed off to the tower or wait until a controller tells me to (assuming I'm still talking to someone).

Don't change squawk codes unless specifically told to. My understanding is that your code is forwarded to the next person you'll be in contact with...

If not told to squawk 1200 you should remain on the assigned code. The tower probably has a radar scope and is looking at a data block with your callsign and type aircraft. If you change to 1200 the data block drops off the scope, which, like staying on the assigned code after being told to squawk VFR, is also a non-event.

Once you are assigned a code, NEVER change it on your own in flight unless instructed to do so by ATC. Even if YOU want to cancel flight following you will make the request and be instructed to squawk VFR by ATC.

Inbound they kept you on flight following all the way through. Outbound they basically canceled you off flight following once you exited the Bravo airspace.

More than once I have lost radio contact without being told; “radar services terminated squawk 1200” when flying past class C airspace.
If not of flight following I announce I am changing to 1200 and changing frequencies even though I suspect departure can’t hear me.
What should I do?

More than once I have lost radio contact without being told; “radar services terminated squawk 1200” when flying past class C airspace.
If not of flight following I announce I am changing to 1200 and changing frequencies even though I suspect departure can’t hear me.
What should I do?

Doing that is fine.

bjc apa ftg, any combination, right? All 3 under class B. Were you cleared into class B or just on FF under it? do what ATC tells you. I rarely, almost never, get told to squawk 1200 coming back to FTG from the north no matter if I'm on FF or cleared into class B. From the south, different situation entirely. Usually get told to go 1200 as soon as I tell them I have FTG in sight.

Of course everything depends on ops directions at DIA.

Last edited:
What should I do?

Ha! I once thought I was beyond the range of a class C, hadn't heard ANY communication on frequency, etc., so I changed to 1200.

"Well, OK then, N97642, radar services terminated, GOOD DAY SIR"

:redface:

What should I do?

I should have added that I requested frequency change first and did not get a response.
Often I can hear them when my transmission is unreadable.

Ha! I once thought I was beyond the range of a class C, hadn't heard ANY communication on frequency, etc., so I changed to 1200.

"Well, OK then, N97642, radar services terminated, GOOD DAY SIR"

:redface:

I once accidentally hit the "VFR" button instead of the "IDENT" button. Luckly I was able to quickly punch in the original squawk code again and hit "IDENT" before anyone noticed. :hairraise:

If not told to squawk 1200 you should remain on the assigned code. The tower probably has a radar scope and is looking at a data block with your callsign and type aircraft. If you change to 1200 the data block drops off the scope, which, like staying on the assigned code after being told to squawk VFR, is also a non-event.
This.

I would wait until the controller says "squawk VFR" or "radar service terminated" then tells you to squawk VFR. Either way a learning lesson.

Usually around here when they hand you off (or cancel you) they will either tell you to stay on your code or squawk vfr. If they are passing you off to the tower at your destination its usually the former, if you're just leaving the area the latter. Either way, I dont do anything unless told to.

Yeah, often you get radar services terminated by one controller but that doesn't mean a subsequent one won't have you on a scope and still use the discrete code. We were bopping along getting flight following and got a "radar services terminated for furhter advisories contact..." message and my wife punched the VFR button ... Yikes... I had to fess up to the next controller that we'd lost the squawk.

I once accidentally hit the "VFR" button instead of the "IDENT" button. Luckly I was able to quickly punch in the original squawk code again and hit "IDENT" before anyone noticed. :hairraise:

Next time, try hitting VFR again.

What they all said, I ether leave the code till someone tells be to go 1200, or before shutdown, which ever comes latter.

See below ....

Next time, try hitting VFR again.

A lot of guys aren't aware of this trick. Think of the VFR button as a flip flop like your comm windows (it switches between 1200 and whatever you last entered).

See below ....

A lot of guys aren't aware of this trick. Think of the VFR button as a flip flop like your comm windows (it switches between 1200 and whatever you last entered).

Neat trick. Count me as one who isn'twasn't aware. Thanks for the tip!

Neat trick. Count me as one who isn'twasn't aware. Thanks for the tip!

No problem. This is on the G330 transponder, but m guessing it works on all that have a VFR button.

One other trick: If you're flying behind a Garmin 530, pressing and holding it's flip flop comm button will automagically load 121.5 ... could come in handy if you need 121.5 FAST and weren't already on flight following.

No problem. This is on the G330 transponder, but m guessing it works on all that have a VFR button.

One other trick: If you're flying behind a Garmin 530, pressing and holding it's flip flop comm button will automagically load 121.5 ... could come in handy if you need 121.5 FAST and weren't already on flight following.

Yup, I have that one filed away in my memory but have never used it. On the other hand, I very often use the flip flop button to unload 121.5 for all those times I'm monitoring it on COM2 and someone starts abusing the frequency. :)

Back