Spraying water into a hot engine

If it runs, there's no exhaust leaks, and compression is good, fly it. Why would you "x-ray" something just cause it got sprayed with a water hose? Thats like doing exploratory surgery because you caught a cold.

If it runs....

Sweet baby Jesus, let hope you never touch a wrench.

That's still on an engine that's running and still producing heat.

True, but it would be interesting to do the analysis. Heat conduction path resistance is the same running or not, so it would be interesting to see the delta T from internal to the wet exterior. Would that delta T be greater on a running engine vs, not running?

That makes no sense at all. What is closer to the size of an engine? Your mouth or your body?
It makes perfect sense.
It would be better if you accepted that you did something irresponsible out of ignorance. Pretty much unanimously, people have said so. Did it cause damage? No one can say definitively, but it certainly can cause damage.

I heard on the internet that the best way to cool down an overheated car engine is to fill the radiator with ice cold water the second it overheats and dies, the try to run it. works good.

Guys, it's been entertaining, but how long are you going to feed the troll?
Troll still hungry!

I think there have been two good posts, a couple okay posts and then troll&feed.

The good posts pointed out the stress caused in the aluminum by the dissimilar contraction and pointed out the CFI responsibility while providing free training.

It still amazes me that people will hire a CFI to teach them about something they know nothing or very little about, then argue with said CFI over something they know nothing or little about.

It still amazes me that people will hire a CFI to teach them about something they know nothing or very little about, then argue with said CFI over something they know nothing or little about.

Well when you've "been around the block" like Horse has... ain't nobody got time for knowledge.

Agreed.
OTOH, not all CFIs are created equal. Not all of them know everything. They too make mistakes. They too can be wrong. We are all human (for now).

Are you sure? If you step outside into heavy rain you will be drenched completely within a second, whereas with a hose it takes probably 5-10 seconds to get drenched to the same amount. I'm talking heavy rain. I'm sure you've flown through heavy rain before.
Not disagreeing with you here (I do not have a dog in this fight).
But think of the torrential rain you are using as an example. That is something you do NOT want to fly through. In a regular small GA airplane, you fly through light rain, you try to avoid moderate rain and you sure as heck want to stay out of heavy precipitation.

Now go fly and sin no more. :)

I've been around the block.. enough times to know cold water does no damage to a hot engine.

d90deep.jpg

Is that Jeep powered by a Lycoming IO-360?

Hmmm, seems that Jeep has some pretty extensive modifications to be able to do that. Oh, and I've seen split exhaust manifolds on cars and suvs from being dowsed with water.

Is that Jeep powered by a Lycoming IO-360?

No but you want an example of an air cooled engine not being scared of a little water?

How about this. It's pretty similar to a Lycoming being a flat four air cooled.

960156.jpg

You just didn't think that one through...did you? Even if it turns out to be undamaged, did you even, for a second, consider what might result from putting cold water on a hot engine before doing it? You might get by being impulsive in other aspects of your life....but impulsiveness can quickly cause bad things to happen around airplanes.

"An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one"

No but you want an example of an air cooled engine not being scared of a little water?

How about this. It's pretty similar to a Lycoming being a flat four air cooled.

960156.jpg
Would you do that to someone else's really expensive VW bus that you were renting without their permission? If you did do you think there is a chance they'd be a little bit upset with you?

Hmmm, seems that Jeep has some pretty extensive modifications to be able to do that. Oh, and I've seen split exhaust manifolds on cars and suvs from being dowsed with water.

Not exactly, just a snorkle. 400$

That's not extensive.

Diesel air breather. Seems to do pretty good in water.

I stand corrected. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

And I'm the "not smart" one? That engine is not in contact with the water and you'd have bigger issues there because of salt.

For some reason this seems especially appropriate:
deadhorse.gif

Hey I'm done I got my answer it was in the first few responses. One word: Rain. More water gets dumped into that engine flying in rain than my maybe 2 gallons of warm spray I got into that engine.

Thanks for the help guys. No seriously THANKS.

I heard turkeys will drown by looking up at the sky during a rainstorm, anyone know if that is true?

I think so, I hear a horse will too.

You guys are... not smart. In both cases to compare apples with apples your turkey and your horse need to be strapped to the front of a plane doing 150 mph. Then, yes, they will both drown.

Not smart. I've been around the block a few times. More than a few times.

I wonder if a snake drowns in a rain storm, you know, with his nostrils pointed up and all.

You guys are... not smart. In both cases to compare apples with apples your turkey and your horse need to be strapped to the front of a plane doing 150 mph. Then, yes, they will both drown.

Not smart. I've been around the block a few times. More than a few times.

Well the next time you go around the block, ask the driver of the short bus you are riding what he thinks about you being smart or not.

Well the next time you go around the block, ask the driver of the short bus you are riding what he thinks about you being smart or not.

Next time try that insult to someone's face instead of hiding behind a keyboard. Tough guy.

I'm sure I'm being overly curious.. but... the engine in a VW Bus is in the BACK and the picture showed a VW Bus that was partially submerged in the FRONT.

Did you grab a hose (or a horse) and go wet the engine compartment?

Back