Spraying Liquid Nitrogen into a Warm Engine

horsey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Horsey
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate a little help/advice. I'm in a situation where I'm being accused of causing damage to a hot engine from liquid nitrogen being sprayed into it. Any white papers or studies would be thankfully accepted.

You probably didn't splew enough LN2. I'm sure all aviation xperts will agree that going cheap on LN2 is worst than shock cooling.

I'm looking forward to your contributions to the forum on your next likely name "Horsies" Too bad Horses Ass won't make it through the filters :(

oh.... too funny..!!!!

By the way, I read the first post out loud after inhaling helium....

746dde161dec63db1d26830e2bcfc150.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, aluminum is better because it expands more than cast iron.

Oh please don't do that.

You know that if you use LN2 on something it doesn't just "disappear" after - it actually gets sucked up into the atmosphere.

God knows were pumping enough pollutants into the atmosphere as it is - we don't need another thing!

I also have it on good authority from the food babe that airline pilots are pumping this stuff into our cabins: "The air that is pumped in isn’t pure oxygen either, it’s mixed with nitrogen, sometimes almost at 50%. To pump a greater amount of oxygen in costs money in terms of fuel and the airlines know this! The nitrogen may affect the times and dosages of medications, make you feel bloated and cause your ankles and joints swell."

Now you know why I stopped flying commercial!

Funny thing is the real answer is it wouldn't do anything. Liquid nitrogen takes so little energy to vaporize that you would have a hell of a time trying to even get it to slightly cool the engine. Anyone who has played with LN2 knows you can dump it on a person and it just feels like cool air to them. You'd have to immerse the entire engine into a vat of LN2 to have any kind of effect and even so I bet there would be no long term effects as long as you let it warm up again.

Doh!

Funny thing is the real answer is it wouldn't do anything. Liquid nitrogen takes so little energy to vaporize that you would have a hell of a time trying to even get it to slightly cool the engine. Anyone who has played with LN2 knows you can dump it on a person and it just feels like cool air to them. You'd have to immerse the entire engine into a vat of LN2 to have any kind of effect and even so I bet there would be no long term effects as long as you let it warm up again.

Doh!
Google cryogenic treatment of metals...there are long term effects since the structure of the metal is changed. I don't know if there are dimensional changes associated with the structure change.

Reactions: Ted
Wait a sec... google is a (search) engine. Is it aluminum or cast iron? I might have to switch to Bing. Or is it Bling? I'm so confused.

Oh please don't do that.

You know that if you use LN2 on something it doesn't just "disappear" after - it actually gets sucked up into the atmosphere.

God knows were pumping enough pollutants into the atmosphere as it is - we don't need another thing!
Where does LN2 come from, anyway?

Wait a sec... google is a (search) engine. Is it aluminum or cast iron? I might have to switch to Bing. Or is it Bling? I'm so confused.

I guarantee if you spray water on google it's have an effect.

Hey everyone, I'd appreciate a little help/advice. I'm in a situation where I'm being accused of causing damage to a hot engine from liquid nitrogen being sprayed into it. Any white papers or studies would be thankfully accepted.

Trollin', trollin', trollin' down the river.

Where does LN2 come from, anyway?

It's like milk. Nobody knows where it comes from anymore. The generations who knew that are all dead now.

So just buy it at your local Airgas and don't ask any questions.

this is turning into a horse of another color. :eek:

Last edited:
I have found spraying pigs blood on the engine works better and you get a nice smell of bacon while flying. Then a small pump and a tub of it in the cargo area that sprays a little more every time I mike up helps not only keep cool when flying/talking to atc but also keeps that lovely smell going.

Funny thing is the real answer is it wouldn't do anything. Liquid nitrogen takes so little energy to vaporize that you would have a hell of a time trying to even get it to slightly cool the engine. Anyone who has played with LN2 knows you can dump it on a person and it just feels like cool air to them. You'd have to immerse the entire engine into a vat of LN2 to have any kind of effect and even so I bet there would be no long term effects as long as you let it warm up again.Doh!
I used to work at a place that used a lot of dry ice, so we played with it, a little. I used to put a chunk of it in my mouth and everybody would gasp. LOL. It was off-gassing so rapidly it insulates. Most people didn't understand it.

I used to work at a place that used a lot of dry ice, so we played with it, a little. I used to put a chunk of it in my mouth and everybody would gasp. LOL. It was off-gassing so rapidly it insulates. Most people didn't understand it.
must.resist.the.urge

Back