Sporty's Pilot Shop does not honor return policy

The only Continental that's not leaking oil is the one with no oil inside! :D

Actually 520s aren't leaking and the old ones (with 2100 SMOH) weren't leaking when removed either - not a drop. They were factory remans.

Once you have confirmation of this, take the officers of Sporties to small claims court, this will cost you very little, and whatever it does cost is more than likely recoverable when you prevail. In other words, throw the book at them. Get them for misrepresentation, and for damaging the artwork through improper framing.

-John

How does that work if he is in NE and Sporty's is in OH. No clue, just asking.:dunno:

For VFR flight? You couldn't afford a chart and a facility directory? What, is your airplane powered by a rubber band?
I was spending about $450/year on paper subscriptions pre-ipad. No one said anothing about VFR-only, for that you don't need any chart at all in most cases

Hopefully you're get a chance to speak with Mr. Lynch about how the matter was handled by the folks on the phone.

In addition to how the policy was interpreted by the CSR's, how they handled you was not proper. I agree with the above that you should not have been sent to a voice mail to plead the case.

Sounds like Mr. Lynch should be advised that a training and improvement opportunity exists.

Spoken like a manager. :)

There's almost zero leeway for modern CSRs in policy and almost never are CSRs authorized to do anything resembling normal adult problem-solving.

The training opportunity exists, but it's not what you think it is. For $200... and as little as something like this probably happens... They need to put the decision right out on the call center floor.

Very very very few companies do that anymore. I could elaborate, but my employer is directly in the world of providing CSRs to lots of companies, and the companies are keeping CSRs in a tiny little box bounded by scripts and drop down boxes on computer screens. There's very little CS many CSRs can do if your problem isn't in one of the checkboxes.

The fact that they told Jesse the truth about the website not having the information is a huge sign that they're really tired of fielding the complaint without any authorization to just handle it. At $200... The loss to the company is negligible. All they need to know is how often it happens to know if they can push that decision down to somewhere below a friggin' VP!

A VP to refund $200. That's ridiculous. He had better already have "learned" and delegated that crap down to a front line manager and ripped out that voice mail box.

I haven't purchased squat from Sporty's in heck I don't know how long, ever since they refused to honor their return policy to me.

My wife bought me a watch while I was out of country for my birthday. One thing leads to another and now its six months later. I tried to return the watch they refused to let me return it because it had been six months. I asked isn't your policy one year ? Yes... it is.... but no we won't take it back.

Long story short I've bought lot of stuff from other places the last few years and I will never buy from Sporty's again.

You can also add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. Similar situation but tried to return an item within two weeks of purchasing it. Given a line of crap about policy, yada, yada, yada, from CSR. I hung up the phone.
Disputed it with my credit card and was credited 100% after I made sportys issue a call tag to pick up their stuff. That was over 5 years ago and have never ordered another thing from them. They suck!

You can also add me to the list of dissatisfied customers. Similar situation but tried to return an item within two weeks of purchasing it. Given a line of crap about policy, yada, yada, yada, from CSR. I hung up the phone.
Disputed it with my credit card and was credited 100% after I made sportys issue a call tag to pick up their stuff. That was over 5 years ago and have never ordered another thing from them. They suck!

Worse thing for me, the reason it took so long for me to make the return... I was out of country on military orders ! :eek:

Didn't know I didn't like the watch till I got home :dunno:

As Wayne said earlier, people are comfortable purchasing long distance because of the advertised return policy. Well apparently their policy is not to honor their policy.

I buy everything from Amazon these days. Every time I've ever had any kind of issue for any reason at all, there is a pre-paid UPS box on my doorstep the next day for me to return the product in, no questions asked.

I still want to know if they resolved this to Jesse's satisfaction because they realized it was the right thing to do, or if they did so because of this thread on POA.

The answer to that will make all the difference when I decide from whom to make my next on-line purchase.

How does that work if he is in NE and Sporty's is in OH. No clue, just asking.:dunno:

As you have probably already assumed, I am not an attorney, but my guess would be that he would file for small claims action in his home state, then pay to have the officers of Sporty's served in their state. If they do not show, he would win by default. Sporty's is a corporation, I am reasonably sure of that, so the officers of Sporty's would have to have an attorney represent them in court, they could not represent the corporation themselves, at least that is how it works in the Peoples Republic of California.

I doubt if they would want to go to the legal expenses to protect themselves over such a small claim. I somehow believe that once they have been served, they will probably be somewhat more inspired to try and make their customer happy. Should they not actually experience such an inspiration, I would be more than willing to bet that the small claims court judge will do what can be done to nudge them along in that direction.

-John

As you have probably already assumed, I am not an attorney, but my guess would be that he would file for small claims action in his home state, then pay to have the officers of Sporty's served in their state. If they do not show, he would win by default. Sporty's is a corporation, I am reasonably sure of that, so the officers of Sporty's would have to have an attorney represent them in court, they could not represent the corporation themselves, at least that is how it works in the Peoples Republic of California.

I doubt if they would want to go to the legal expenses to protect themselves over such a small claim. I somehow believe that once they have been served, they will probably be somewhat more inspired to try and make their customer happy. Should they not actually experience such an inspiration, I would be more than willing to bet that the small claims court judge will do what can be done to nudge them along in that direction.

-John

I used small claims court in California about 20 years ago. No lawyers allowed. And, we won. :D

I've known Hal personally since we served together on the judging panel for the college IFR event in the '80's and will guarantee he doesn't need or want this kind of crap going on for the chump change (for his company) that's involved. Anything other than making the customer happy is a no-win for him and he's obviously known it for a long-long time.

I still want to know if they resolved this to Jesse's satisfaction because they realized it was the right thing to do, or if they did so because of this thread on POA.

The answer to that will make all the difference when I decide from whom to make my next on-line purchase.

I've known Hal personally since we served together on the judging panel for the college IFR event in the '80's and will guarantee he doesn't need or want this kind of crap going on for the chump change (for his company) that's involved. Anything other than making the customer happy is a no-win for him and he's obviously known it for a long-long time.

Why don't you give your buddy a call and ask him to post his side of the story right here on POA. He could potentially turn this otherwise negative situation into a real PR coup. That is what I would want to do if I were in his shoes.

Why don't you give your buddy a call and ask him to post his side of the story right here on POA. He could potentially turn this otherwise negative situation into a real PR coup. That is what I would want to do if I were in his shoes.

If the OP Is satisfied with the resolution of the incident why is it a negative situation?

If the OP Is satisfied with the resolution of the incident why is it a negative situation?

Because I might want to do business with this, or a similar company one day. I don't want to deal with unresponsive CSRs or have to threaten them.

FWIW this thread is the 7th result on Google on the 1st page if you search for "sportys customer service".

It is also the 5th result on Google on the 1st page if you search for "sportys return policy".

I am satisfied that John fixed this for me after I e-mailed Hal and Hal sent him the e-mail. I hope they make the necessary internal changes to prevent this from reoccurring.

because lo (fify) and behold there are a couple of unsatisfied customers on this thread.... :eek: :rolleyes: :yes:

What does their several year old gripe have to do with this thread? You think a post from Hal Shevers will make them customers again?

Somehow I doubt it. :D

What does their several year old gripe have to do with this thread? You think a post from Hal Shevers will make them customers again?

You'd be amazed at the power of personal attention.

I guess I have to spell it out for you...

because with their advertised policy, it should not have happened to anyone of us, ever. :hairraise: :nono:

My experience proves you wrong.
I have had a couple of bad reviews about my business. One of them was legitimate because a staff member told a client something wrong, but the rest were clients that wer upset with the out come. (nothing lives forever, regardless of quality of care). In every case, I posted an understanding response on the review site, and I called the client personally do discuss and explain. They have all become good, long term clients, except for one. Her cat passed away and she has not adopted another. But I did get a Christmas card from her saying she would come back if she gets another cat.

And I know I would be more likely to do business with a company if I thought they would look into a customer complaint and fix a legitimate problem, even if it was against their policy.

I used small claims court in California about 20 years ago. No lawyers allowed. And, we won. :D

Winning gets you a judgement. Were you able to collect on it?

Sort of off-topic but sort of not. I ordered the CFI PTS on Sunday (7/21) and today the envelope showed up (7/25) but there was no PTS in it. Just their catalog, my receipt and an Oshkosh flyer. I'm bummed. Especially considering tomorrow is Friday and I NEED that PTS like yesterday. I really hope Sporty's will make it right and fast....

Sort of off-topic but sort of not. I ordered the CFI PTS on Sunday (7/21) and today the envelope showed up (7/25) but there was no PTS in it. Just their catalog, my receipt and an Oshkosh flyer. I'm bummed. Especially considering tomorrow is Friday and I NEED that PTS like yesterday. I really hope Sporty's will make it right and fast....

You know the PTSes are online right?

You know the PTSes are online right?

Yeah. But kind of hard to hand it to my CFI before the flight.... I have it pulled up but the book is 1000x easier to go through.

Yeah. But kind of hard to hand it to my CFI before the flight.... I have it pulled up but the book is 1000x easier to go through.

I'd recommend you just make a checklist of all the PTS tasks. That's how I do it when I'm prepping someone for a ride.

So, assuming you called them, what did they say/do about it?

David

Jessie - glad to hear it was resolved. I had an issue with one of the order takers at Sporty's last winter. After going round with her, I think she was clueless, and I asked to speak to Hal. I was forwarded to Jack Lynch and left a message. He called me back within a day and the matter was resolved. Some of the lower level people there, like at any organization, just follow directions and don't try to resolve issues. Maybe that is what your were up against.

So, assuming you called them, what did they say/do about it?

David

I called first thing this morning and after about a minute of brief questions, they're sending one that will be here in 2 business days. A+ for Sporty's, especially during OSH.

I called first thing this morning and after about a minute of brief questions, they're sending one that will be here in 2 business days. A+ for Sporty's, especially during OSH.

That's good. Bad you had a problem, good they are resolving it.

David

That's good. Bad you had a problem, good they are resolving it.

David

Exactly. It stinks that it happened, but the fact they're sending it 2nd day means they actually care. Everyone makes mistakes and I will be purchasing from Sporty's again. :)

Exactly. It stinks that it happened, but the fact they're sending it 2nd day means they actually care. Everyone makes mistakes and I will be purchasing from Sporty's again. :)

Hmmmmm.

If they ACTUALLY cared it would come NEXT day air... IMHO..

Hmmmmm.

If they ACTUALLY cared it would come NEXT day air... IMHO..

Yeah well... I'm guessing that my $6 problem wasn't going to warrant them a $30 fix. We'll see if it gets here Tuesday when I would think it would. It shipped today via Priority Mail...

It seems spotys is trying to keep us pilots happy,anyone can make a mistake it takes a good company to notice this and solve the problem.

While all this has been going on I bought a Stratus and an STC'd air vent replacement for the 180 from Sportys. Both arrived within two days in perfect condition, like everything else I've bought from Hal over the years.

Sporty's Vice-President, Jack Lynch, contacted me this evening and has offered to refund me what I paid for the framing for the two pictures (roughly $200). From there I can pay my local framer to re-frame both (although that will be more costly).

I will call him back tomorrow, accept his offer, and when my card is credited as per his offer I will consider this matter resolved to my satisfaction and will happily continue to do business with Sporty's. I appreciate Sporty's efforts to make this right - I just wish it wouldn't have had to come to this in the first place.

Good for you!:)

Back