Sportys E6B

PPL747

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
I have my ppl written scheduled for the coming week. I'm wondering about buying an electronic E6B, is there any difference between a new e6b vs an older one from years ago in terms of functionality? Also anyone has experience with E6B-Flat vs the standard version?

Take a look at ASA's CX-3 Flight Computer. A bit more expensive ($30 more than Sporty's) but it's way simpler to operate, has a many additional features, and is firmware upgradable.

I own one and have used it all the way through the Flight Instructor exams, making all the various test much less stressful.

If you would like to see the CX-3 in action, there is an web browser app version you can play with here: http://online.prepware.com/cx3e/index.html

The issue is I'm trying to buy a used one, to get better pricing, since i believe after the exams i can use a mobile app instead

But with all of the electronic whizmo's out there, there is still value in learning the manual E6B. After all, if it was good for the Science Officer of the Starship Enterprise, it should work for the private pilot student about to take his first FAA written exam.

spock-computer.jpg

The issue is I'm trying to buy a used one, to get better pricing, since i believe after the exams i can use a mobile app instead
Yes, you can use a mobile app, but only outside of any FAA written exams. But you have many more exams in your future. And having a dedicated device is soooo worth it.

Like a headset, cheaping out on this isn't something I'd advise. The additional money spent is well worth it.

Like a good little student pilot I bought a Sporty's electronic E6-B. Used it for the written test, and never used it again. A few years later I pulled it out of my flight bag and discovered the batteries had leaked. Then I tossed it in the trash.

See if you can borrow one for the exam.

-Skip

Just go to laser grade, that have a good onscreen e6b for the test that’s super easy to use.

CATs just has the stock windows calculator.

I've got a Sporty's one I will sell if interested. PM me

I bought an older Sporty's cheap on eBay to use for my Sport and Private exams. Works fine, but in real life flying I use apps on my phone and iPad. The built-in E6B on Laser Grade is decent, but I didn't know what to expect before seeing it and I just stuck with the Sporty's.

Take a look at ASA's CX-3 Flight Computer. A bit more expensive ($30 more than Sporty's) but it's way simpler to operate, has a many additional features, and is firmware upgradable.

I own one and have used it all the way through the Flight Instructor exams, making all the various test much less stressful.

If you would like to see the CX-3 in action, there is an web browser app version you can play with here: http://online.prepware.com/cx3e/index.html

Just picked up a new one on ebay, took my best offer $70

My PPL written didn't have any questions that needed an E6B. I used the dollar store calculator they supplied for several questions though.
Interesting. That doesn't happen too often.

Just means you both are going to get triple the amount when you take your instrument written.

You've been warned!

I just used a 20 yr old Jeppesen one for instrument written. It worked fine.

Took my written last week and only used the electronic EB6 one time for a density altitude question because it was just faster. For everything else, I used the supplied cheap calculator. Good luck on the test (or hopefully congratulations if you've already taken it)!

I just used a 20 yr old Jeppesen one for instrument written. It worked fine.
Resurrecting the post....my Jepp TechStar still works, but it's very limited, nothing like the current crop of electronic E6Bs

Resurrecting the post....my Jepp TechStar still works, but it's very limited, nothing like the current crop of electronic E6Bs
Isn't that the one from the mid-19th century that uses wind up clockworks instead of batteries? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Isn't that the one from the mid-19th century that uses wind up clockworks instead of batteries? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yep, it’s the upgrade from the one with portable hamster wheel, hamster not included.

Seems to me that the gerbil version had a higher altitude rating, didn't it?
Couldn't afford the gerbil version, besides, the cherokee doesn't have much of a higher altitude limit.

Not exactly much help for the OP....

Couldn't afford the gerbil version, besides, the cherokee doesn't have much of a higher altitude limit.

Not exactly much help for the OP....

Come to think of it, I believe you had to use Himalayan gerbils for the high altitude STC.

I bought a Sporty's E6B thinking I'd only use it for the test. But I've been using it a lot writing up the manual NavLogs for X Country solos and stage checks. (I double check it against what ForeFlight creates).

A manual E6B teaches you so much more than an electronic PoS....

...I mean, you can actually envision why you're getting the answer you're getting...instead of just plugging in numbers into a dumb black box and having it spit out an equally dumb answer...

...but, whatever...

My REAL E6B is in the side pocket of the plane and I still use it almost every flight. Like @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Last edited:
FTFY - it mostly sits in the bag. But when you want to use it, the batteries are still good no matter how long it has been sitting. :)
Well...okay then!!

on every "real cross country", I still pull it out and check my TAS. Amongst other things.

A manual E6B teaches you so much more than an electronic PoS....

...I mean, you can actually envision why you're getting the answer you're getting...instead of just plugging in numbers into a dumb black box and having it spit out an equally dumb answer...

...but, whatever...

My REAL E6B is in the side pocket of the plane and I still use it almost every flight. Like @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
I could never figure out how to use my K&R slide rule when in college. I consider the manual E6B just another sliderule, and unless I have the instructions in front of me, have given up trying to use it. I'm happy with the black box, considering I design and develop a variety of black boxes for aerospace.

I guess I am old enough that when we were in junior high, the linear slide rule from the drug store was the only kind of “calculator” which we could afford. Circular one is basically the same idea.

I've been using the CX3 for a couple of years and REALLY enjoyed it on the instrument written. I'll never use the whiz wheel again. Matter of fact, I donated mine to an aspiring private pilot student. :)

I’m glad I learned to use an E6B, and got to teach it in depth in ground school. Including a huge one we had at Burnside-Ott. It’s a pretty elegant way of calculating time/speed/distance, wind triangles, TAS, DA and more. I think it provides insight into the calculations that is lacking in electronic versions. And I got satisfaction from how accurately I could plan and execute flights using such a simple device.

That said, I haven’t used one in probably 20 years. Anything I might use it for is easily calculated and displayed on any GPS and/or PFD. Still, I can’t help but feel a bit of a sense of loss in its passing. Which is admittedly pretty silly.

Last edited:
I replaced my 40 year old Jeppesen CR-5 recently. It was all I ever used and it was in my pocket every day for most of those 40 years...

The plastic was darkened so much, it was not really usable. I bought one of the yellow ASA versions to replace it.

It works without batteries and can be dropped, crushed and shot with nearly no ill affects...

jeppesen-cr-5.jpg

used the one that came with my Cessna/King course. Plastic e6b. I only used the wind side for anything on the written. Used the provided calculator for everything else. Don't waste your money on the electronic one if you haven't been using it throughout your studies.

I use an old mechanical E6B (when I need one at all). I can use it with one hand. I can't do that with an electronic one. Why is that important? Single pilot, I need a hand on the yoke. You set up the mechanical one for the flight (speed) and you're set for any calculation you might need during the flight. Wind side is only (in my experience) used on the ground.

Which one? For the exam, the cheaper the better. One that holds up over time is better for flying. Mine is about 19 years old, but you'd never know looking at it.

I’m with you old-schoolers. I take my Jepp metal E6-B every flight. I set the GS and then pretty much just cross check whatever numbers the GPS comes up with. I have a round CR that I got because I was curious how it differs. I don’t take that one because it’s a little too large and awkward to fit in my knee board pocket. Front side’s the same but the wind triangle calculations work differently.

I took my IFR written about a year ago and only used my E6b. Worked good for IFR but I bought a used Sporty's for the commercial that I'm about to take. It works fine for the test but I doubt you'll ever use it for real. Go cheap, pass test, move on.

Back