Sport Pilot

Scot616

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scot616
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I recently got my Sport Pilots License. I'm having trouble finding a LSA to fit into. I'm 6'4' I am certified to fly the CTLS, alot of room in it for me. Would someone put me in the right direction please.

Welcome to POA

I don't understand the question. You can fly the CT and it fits, but you want another choice?

Did you mean to say that there "isn't" a lot of room left in it for you?

Not sure if there are a lot of LSAs out there that may work for you. The Remos is one where you may fit (especially the latest versions with the redesigned panel that curves up at the bottom to provide more room). I have heard (but not seen) that some have modified the seat on a Remos to sit lower and provide a little bit more leg room and head room.

Caveat: I've only seen/sat in a few LSAs (CTsw, CTLS, Sling 2, Remos), so those are my only reference points.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for an FBO that rents them? The remos is similar in room to the ctls.

Assuming you meant there isn't a lot of room in the CT; I've never flown one but it seems like the CT line are on the comfortable end of LSA offerings.

'not sure you'll find anything roomier than a CT, but there may be a few similarly spacious. Numerous 6'2" plus folks fly CTs

I'm 6'2" 195 and fit in my Jabiru. Wouldn't want to be much bigger.

Certainly not criticizing your decision of sport vs private, but size and availability of aircraft probably should have been a consideration.

I truly wish you well...

Taylorcraft. Grandpa is 6'6" 275lbs and still flys one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaning the guy wanted a Sport Certificate for whatever reason and people tend to bad mouth it without knowing the reasons.

Hmmm, that may be tricky, it kinda depends on your leg:torso ratio. The Jabiru has a pretty substantial cabin IIRC.

Scot,

First, congratulations on getting your Sport Pilot Certificate!

I started earned my SPL three years ago at the age of 52. I own a 2010 Jabiru J230-SP and other than my plane, my experience is limited to ten hours in a Diamond DA-40F when I began flight training.

As far as finding an LSA that you can "fit into," you don't say whether the problem is leg room, hip room, or headroom... and the CTLS is roomier than a lot of LSAs.

Some thoughts... A lot of the modern LSAs are roomier than popular GA planes. If we're talking hip room, which is usually the concern, my Jabiru has 44". The current edition of the regular Zenith 750 (STOL or Cruzer) has only 42"... but if you get the optional bubble doors that goes up to 50". The Bristell is wider still at 50.4". And the RANS S-7S may be effectively wider still with 30" inches of cabin width and tandem seating.

I'm 6'3" and I fit just fine in an Aerotrek A240, it's a great little LSA to fly also.

The Flight Design CTLS is 49 inches wide with gull wing doors. The plane is designed to accommodate tall people given the low seat and high ceiling. There is a cross beam than supports the wing (strutless wings) that may be in the line-of-sight for some dependent on seat position.

We have quite a few 6'3" and 6'4" guys flying around in the J-3 Cub, Champ, and T-craft. Tailwheel endorsement required, of course, but options.

LSAs are generally wider than regular light GA's but suffer in terms of leg / head room. I am 6'2" and more leg than torso. I found the Czech Sportcruiser comfortable. The Tecnam's were quite good and sit more upright than styles like the CTs or Remos. In FlyCatchers, my knees hit the panel and were quite uncomfortable.

I'm currently renting one until I see how the class 3 medical debate turns out. If you're looking for a two seat bug smasher the Aerotrek is a great value.

If you have never had a medical, I wouldn't be hopeful at this point.

Meaning the guy wanted a Sport Certificate for whatever reason and people tend to bad mouth it without knowing the reasons.

Yep. Various valid reasons due exist. He might have had a reason not to pursue a medical. Someone might have told him it was a good first step in aviation. No matter why he chose Sport Pilot, he should be welcomed to the Club Aviator without being derided.

"I'm 6'4' I am certified to fly the CTLS, alot of room in it for me. Would someone put me in the right direction please."

If I'm reading English correctly, and OP composed the sentence grammatically correct, I don't see any other meaning other than what it says. Can anybody guide him to a rental CTLS or CTLSi , in his area of residence ?

Cheers

I'm currently renting one until I see how the class 3 medical debate turns out. If you're looking for a two seat bug smasher the Aerotrek is a great value.

If you have never had a medical, I wouldn't be hopeful at this point.

Yeah, I was training on a SI that expired so I'm not hopeful. I'm tired of waiting and there is NOTHING to fly here without a medical, so I'm going to either go through "medical hell" again and get my PP-ASEL or fail and spend my money on a CGS Hawk.

Yeah, I was training on a SI that expired so I'm not hopeful. I'm tired of waiting and there is NOTHING to fly here without a medical, so I'm going to either go through "medical hell" again and get my PP-ASEL or fail and spend my money on a CGS Hawk.

You could do a lot worse.

Rich

Back