Spirit Airlines to charge for use of overhead bins

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
This is un believable. Spirt Airlines is going to charge $45 dollars ( $30 paid in advance) to put a bag in an OVERHEAD BIN!!:mad3:

Gee I guess its a good airline for a terrorist to fly. "Well I know I fit the profile not having any bags or anything but It just cost too darn much to bring any luggage on my flight. So I'll get a new wardrobe at my destination. It will be less expensive"

I really feel sorry for their gate agents.

Having flown on Spirit once before, I actually agree with the airline on that move. I would just suggest that instead of charging for the mere use of the bin they come up with a quick way to measure bulk and weight of carry-on at check-in and charge accordingly.

Anything to prevent the ticket price you see on your computer from going up. This nonsense will backfire eventually.

This would make a lot more sense if they were not charging for checked luggage. Boarding goes so much faster when people don't carry EVERYTHING on board with them.

First they charge to check luggage. Now everyone is doing carry on.
Wait we do not want everyone doing carry on. So lets charge for that too.
It is all a plot by the TSA soon we will be traveling without luggage. Then it is less work for them.

First they charge to check luggage. Now everyone is doing carry on.
Wait we do not want everyone doing carry on. So lets charge for that too.
It is all a plot by the TSA soon we will be traveling without luggage. Then it is less work for them.
I wouldn't say it's a plot by anyone, just the free market at work whether you like it or not.

I wouldn't say it's a plot by anyone, just the free market at work whether you like it or not.

Let's hope the free market is at work -- if so folks will vote on the new policy with dollars and another poorly run airline goes under.

However, airlines aren't exactly driven by pure market forces, for a variety of reasons.

I guess trhe only "free" place left is under the seat in front of you!

Fly naked!!!:D

Fly naked!!!:D
See that is part of the plot by the TSA. After the get rid of all luggage then they need to rid us of our clothing.
Just think how much easyer the TSA job will be.

See that is part of the plot by the TSA. After the get rid of all luggage then they need to rid us of our clothing.
Just think how much easyer the TSA job will be.

And how much more entertaining.

What a great day at PoA. I see 3 active threads about boobs. (this one being vaguely referential).

they oughtta just charge by the pound and be done with it. you and all your bags, on the scale.

im not THAT skinny. bigger than the average FAA adult. mari, on the other hand...

For about 5 seconds. Probably 99% of the population looks better clothed than naked.

+1. I have no desire to see most people naked, thank you.

And I think I outweigh Leah by at least 20 lbs...

I've had chihuahuas on my plane that outweigh Leah by at least 20 lbs, and they only weigh 15. ;)

For about 5 seconds. Probably 99% of the population looks better clothed than naked.

When I lived there, the best point break in San Diego was within the confines of Blacks Beach, which was infamous for being clothing optional. Where the good surfing was it was mostly old, bald, fat, ugly, presumably gay men and a few surfers. More like 5% though, there were some truly lovely young ladies at whom I very discreetly gandered. Then again, it was Southern California, where youthful good looks seem required by law.

One of my friends took his family to every beach in San Diego. After they went to Blacks all his wife could say was "I never saw so many of those things".

Last edited:
I can't blame them. They're doing everything they can to make the cost of a ticket appear to be low. Once you're done adding all the fees, of course, you're right back where you started.

Meanwhile Southwest just keeps doing what its doing, none of the nickle-and-diming, and making great ads pointing out that fact.

Meanwhile Southwest just keeps doing what its doing, none of the nickle-and-diming, and making great ads pointing out that fact.

They've had to do that as the low-cost-market-share-building phase is over and now it's "market differentiator" time.

SWA rates are on par with most other majors now. A few years ago, they were always lower.

I believe 30 to 40 dollars is to much; however, 5 to 10 dollars for anything other than a purse or computer (or the like) is reasonable. I travel frequently and have seen people bring on a backpack, computer case and roller bag. I've seen families travel with their kitchen sink! Give me a break!!!! The boarding and unloading process would be reduced tenfold. They should then stop charging for checked baggage.

Southwest doesn't nail you on last minute purchases. They have 4 or 5 price tiers and make it very easy to see what you get for what you pay. I wouldn't say they're on par with the majors, I still find them to be lower. Quality of service is higher.

Airlines continue to make their dough from frequent flying business travelers (of which I am one), and the only real benefit I get on Midwest is to board first to get my carry on bag in the overhead. Not checking bags saves one more long line to check the bag in, plus a wait at baggage claim - not inconsequential if you fly 30+ times per year. All that for $900 tickets for a 1.5 hour flight.

I had to fly on AirTran for a meeting in Orlando last year, and boarding with every Disney-bound family of germ generators there was zero space to put a carry on bag, now that they charge for checking bags. Airlines are creating their own friggin carry on problem, and now one airline wants to charge for THAT space.

Business travel - the glamor never ends. :mad2:

Airlines continue to make their dough from frequent flying business travelers (of which I am one), and the only real benefit I get on Midwest is to board first to get my carry on bag in the overhead. Not checking bags saves one more long line to check the bag in, plus a wait at baggage claim - not inconsequential if you fly 30+ times per year. All that for $900 tickets for a 1.5 hour flight.

I had to fly on AirTran for a meeting in Orlando last year, and boarding with every Disney-bound family of germ generators there was zero space to put a carry on bag, now that they charge for checking bags. Airlines are creating their own friggin carry on problem, and now one airline wants to charge for THAT space.

Business travel - the glamor never ends. :mad2:

+1 I did more than 100 flights on Southwest last year. Life was grand. I've done a few on USAir and Delta this year and am reminded why those folks are going broke. Poor policies and zero customer service for an over priced ticket (comparative to SW).

It's a free market place...I'll "vote" for an airline that doesn't charge for the overhead space, everything else being equal.

It's a free market place...I'll "vote" for an airline that doesn't "charge" for the overhead space, everything else being equal.

Fixed that for ya! You pay, it's just a question of whether you pay a bundled rate or a la carte.

Fixed that for ya! You pay, it's just a question of whether you pay a bundled rate or a la carte.
You are correct.

It also adds another hassle for the business traveler- another line on the expense report and another receipt to store at a time I usually have everything stowed in preparation for my TSA inspection.

I can't blame them. They're doing everything they can to make the cost of a ticket appear to be low. Once you're done adding all the fees, of course, you're right back where you started.

Exactly. This is another way to disguise the true cost of transportation - Spirit has been fined by the govt before for deceptive pricing on their web site.

It may be "free market" but it's done in a way to disguise the true cost... after all, most travelers have to carry a bag - either checked or carry-on. Build that into the cost of the ticket, but don't be deceptive.

This is the P.T. Barnum school of airline operations.

Southwest doesn't nail you on last minute purchases. They have 4 or 5 price tiers and make it very easy to see what you get for what you pay. I wouldn't say they're on par with the majors, I still find them to be lower. Quality of service is higher.

Actually, Southwest does eliminate the cheaper buckets close in, so you do pay more.... but... their full-price ticket is almost always less expensive than the legacy carriers. And - with that exception - I don't always find Southwest to be the cheapest carrier out there.

On the other hand, Southwest IS up front about the total cost, and does give you full credit for a canceled ticked (no $150 change fee).

Southwest and JetBlue are both more consumer oriented.

It also adds another hassle for the business traveler- another line on the expense report and another receipt to store at a time I usually have everything stowed in preparation for my TSA inspection.

I don't think there are many business travelers on Spirit, save for the oddball who has to go from Rhode Island to Orlando.

+1 I did more than 100 flights on Southwest last year. Life was grand. I've done a few on USAir and Delta this year and am reminded why those folks are going broke. Poor policies and zero customer service for an over priced ticket (comparative to SW).
Really?

If you did 100 flights on United, for example, you'd be 1K. Service as a 1K is quite excellent, in lots of ways, including usually flying first class, no baggage fees of course, priority checkin, security, and boarding, excellent accommodations in the case of IRROPS (usually already rebooked by the time you walk of the plane), etc.

I would NOT fly SWA or any other low-cost airline like that as a frequent flyer. Their FF programs don't compare to those of AA or UA (seen up in the air?). And trust me, once you're 1K/GS on United, for example, you'll enjoy flying a LOT more.

-Felix

Really?

If you did 100 flights on United, for example, you'd be 1K. Service as a 1K is quite excellent, in lots of ways, including usually flying first class, no baggage fees of course, priority checkin, security, and boarding, excellent accommodations in the case of IRROPS (usually already rebooked by the time you walk of the plane), etc.

I would NOT fly SWA or any other low-cost airline like that as a frequent flyer. Their FF programs don't compare to those of AA or UA (seen up in the air?). And trust me, once you're 1K/GS on United, for example, you'll enjoy flying a LOT more.

-Felix

You have to put up with a lot of suckitude to get there, though. As an occasional airline flyer, i'm much happier with SWA. My kids have noted, however, that flying with me is much easier and more fun.

For the Costa Rica trip, i paid for 1st class. It was worth it.

I have a buddy who was a FO on 737s for United and he said that the flight crew was notified when a Global-Galactic-Mega-Elite Frequent Flyer was on-board.

I guess the pilots flew extra smooth then (what else could the Captain do?).

I'm also guessing the GGMEFF didn't have to pay for his bags.

I have meetings in Orlando and will avoid flying into that airport at all costs. I would rather come and go form Tampa with a 2 hour drive than deal with the Disney Mouse Haj passengers!

I have a buddy who was a FO on 737s for United and he said that the flight crew was notified when a Global-Galactic-Mega-Elite Frequent Flyer was on-board.

Most of the airlines do that. As a 'Global-Galactic-Mega-Elite Frequent Flyer' on two airlines I have had the special treatment. On American when they ran out of the meal that I wanted in 1st class but had a similar meal in biz they created a special tray with my preferences on it. UAL once let me chose the wines for the flight due to my status. Both airlines have had customer service people great me and make sure I had everything I needed for a comfortable flight.

You have to put up with a lot of suckitude to get there, though. As an occasional airline flyer, i'm much happier with SWA. My kids have noted, however, that flying with me is much easier and more fun.

For the Costa Rica trip, i paid for 1st class. It was worth it.
No argument there. Although I have to say that it doesn't take that much to get to a decent level. And it's absolutely worth it - most people don't realize this.

I guess the pilots flew extra smooth then (what else could the Captain do?).

I'm also guessing the GGMEFF didn't have to pay for his bags.
No, you don't pay for bags even if you have low status, at least on UA. It doesn't take much. Keep in mind that there are quite a few Global Service members, especially out of SFO and LAX. For UA, the crew can certainly tell what your status level is. There's a few stars on the manifest next to your name - **** for GS, *** for 1K, etc. They do treat you better.

That said, flying is much better if you've got status. I just got a $250 certificate because they were unable to accommodate an upgrade for me recently for a 2 hr flight. I got another $350 because a flight from LA to SF I was booked on recently was delayed for 4 hours. Then I was rebooked on the next flight that was already oversold. Most other folks were stranded in LA. Etc. My point is - if things like these fees annoy you (they are annoying!), just stick with one airline for a while. It's not that hard to get some sort of status, and just that little bit will help a lot.

-Felix

Back