Spirit Airlines to charge for use of overhead bins

Is that real GPH or maketing department GPH?

Seems awfully awfully low....

Real, as confirmed with several owners I talk to. The builds vary, but they generally get 190-200 ktas @ 10 gph depending on which one you get. A couple people who put the angle valve 200 hp IO-360 engines in manage to push a hair above 200.

The plane has a frontal area the size of a peanut and wings that are razor thin. It has virtually no drag, plus it weighs very little. I flew in a 320 and the guy got 190 ktas @ 9 gph, pull it back to 140 and got 4 gph. Both of which he demonstrated for me. The performance was incredible. It's amazing what not having 5000 lbs of airplane will do for you.

It's on my list of "planes I want to own."

In deference to Greg, I won't say what I really think about UA.. ;) but US Airways is about the bottom of the barrel in the legacy department. Too bad, because Piedmont was once a great airline.

Useless Air merged with America Worst. Boy was that appropriate (apologies to my cousin who is an FO for USA). No improvement at all.

No doubt about that. I was with a Piedmont Commuter when the merge went down and always thought the wrong company survived.

PSA wasn't bad, either. :D

My favorite trick is when the people in the back of the place (boarding first) fill the overhead compartments in the front of the plane on their way by.

I was always tempted to take it out and leave it on the floor.

You and me both. I HATE it when people do that. I wish the FAs could take unattended luggage and gate check it.

Back