Spirit Airlines Pax Riot

Art VanDelay

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Art VanDelay
Someone needs to take cinematography lessons.

Seems more like an altercation between passengers (someone getting disrespected) v. anything to do with the airline.

Where's all the SJW sticking up for the airlines?

What is there to stick up for? Pilots didn't show up for work, people got ****ed and acted like idiots. Those people deserve what they get, but what noble thing did the airlines do to deserve defending? Make no mistake, those people fighting deserve what the law gives them.......sticking up for the airlines??? LOL

Welcome to the pilot shortage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pax lives matter!!

Seriously, when you bought a cheap ticket on a super budget airline what did you expect.

This is why I spend a couple extra bucks and fly virgin or Alaska

It's also amazing the difference between Orlando or Vegas passengers (vacation destinations) and business destinations...

Pilots didn't show up for work, people got ****ed and acted like idiots.

Just a point of clarification - Spirit pilots are showing up to work. What they're *not* doing is showing up to work on their days off. The canceled flights never had pilots assigned to them to begin with. Spirit has always knowingly run the operation way too lean in the summer months, counting on a certain percentage of the pilots to pick up flying on their days off to bail them out. Well it finally came back to bite them in the ass.

No not pilot shortage; pilot pay shortage....:D

That's one cause. And pay is rising rapidly. Clearly pilots are emboldened by the current situation.

That's one cause. And pay is rising rapidly. Clearly pilots are emboldened by the current situation.

Wouldn't say rapidly, and we're still a ways off from where we should be, though it is working its way in the right direction.

Just a point of clarification - Spirit pilots are showing up to work. What they're *not* doing is showing up to work on their days off. The canceled flights never had pilots assigned to them to begin with. Spirit has always knowingly run the operation way too lean in the summer months, counting on a certain percentage of the pilots to pick up flying on their days off to bail them out. Well it finally came back to bite them in the ass.

I stand corrected. Then, my above comment makes more sense regarding the airline itself.

Wouldn't say rapidly, and we're still a ways off from where we should be, though it is working its way in the right direction.

Regionals went from sub 20k to start to easily 60k in just a few years. Pretty rapid!

Jerry Springer coming live to an airport near you. American media's influence is going mainstream.

Regionals went from sub 20k to start to easily 60k in just a few years. Pretty rapid!

Kinda sorta 60k, think the base is still low, and many have stipulations on the the bonuses.

To be fair, not contractually, but by bonus. This is to say, your 2nd year pay is lower in the aggregate than first year pay. it's a gimmick. But again in fairness, they're throwing hail mary's wherever they can. I'm very glad the industry is feeling the pressure and the pax are getting upset. This is unfortunately the only currency Americans speak. You gotta hit everybody in their own personal circumstances for them to GAF.

LOL, you mean the SOUTHWEST manning philoshophy? Same s--t over there, and pilots historically whore out for the $$$. The problem here for Spirit was that the pilots pressed to test and leaned on the achiles heel of the premise. The problem for the pilot group might be if the effect can be proven as a collective effort, aka an organized effort. RLA yanks pilot organized labor from being able to do these types of things above water, which is why the RLA has got to go but that's for another day.

At any rate, I have no visibility on whether or not the effort was organized in a way the company can successfully sue for. Don't get me wrong, nothing about that kind of organized effort is immoral even if it were illegal according to the RLA. Non-airline organized labor has historically had a lot more legal teeth than what airline pilots are afforded, so I'm with them. I just sincerely don't know if they are gonna get smacked down legally. The so-called "no float" campaign at AMERICAN was another scheme that some people believe was instrumental to AA giving the pilots that mid-contract "out of the blue" pay raise, though others feel it was inconsequential to the dynamics that led to said payraise giveaway by the company.

Would something similar occur in Southwest? According to my SW co-workers, survey says no. They have a hand to mouth worker attitude, and they value their ability to throttle their schedules and get paid premium while working de facto regional schedules for less days a month total than a ginger "legacy" schedule for more days a month. Hey, I got no quarrel with that, but that is blue collar hourly worker mentality (the ol' measuring monthly pay in terms of factor of common household item purchases). It's a weird industry, but there you have it. Something for everybody.

Kinda sorta 60k, think the base is still low, and many have stipulations on the the bonuses.

My friend easily made seventy last year at republic, between per diem and picking up a few flights and on top of that a 12k signing bonus... def an improving situation...

My friend easily made seventy last year at republic, between per diem and picking up a few flights and on top of that a 12k signing bonus... def an improving situation...

Improving yes, QOL is still far from comparative to the job duties and responsibilities.

I'll probably get yelled at but Southwest is not too far behind in the classy passenger category !
I never claimed to be classy, but I prefer Southwest, especially their no fee for changing flights. I also like the way they board. I have never heard an altercation on board, and the only one I have ever heard period was a loud woman yelling at a gate agent at the podium.

LOL, you mean the SOUTHWEST manning philoshophy? Same s--t over there, and pilots historically whore out for the $$$. The problem here for Spirit was that the pilots pressed to test and leaned on the achiles heel of the premise. The problem for the pilot group might be if the effect can be proven as a collective effort, aka an organized effort. RLA yanks pilot organized labor from being able to do these types of things above water, which is why the RLA has got to go but that's for another day.

I agree completely. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Improving yes, QOL is still far from comparative to the job duties and responsibilities.

I had a corporate road warrior type consulting career. The grass is always greener... (and pilots like to complain)

I never claimed to be classy, but I prefer Southwest, especially their no fee for changing flights. I also like the way they board. I have never heard an altercation on board, and the only one I have ever heard period was a loud woman yelling at a gate agent at the podium.

Well apparently you never saw any episodes of their TV series - pretty drama packed ! Kinda like standing in line for a tractor pull or a County mobile home auction.

Well apparently you never saw any episodes of their TV series - pretty drama packed ! Kinda like standing in line for a tractor pull or a County mobile home auction.
I don't watch reality TV, and I'm sure they edited the footage to show the most audience-pleasing (people acting like idiots) moment. No doubt they could find footage like that about your airline too. Or maybe we've already seen it. ;)

Yeah but it's not like they're gonna be there for very long.

Maybe, maybe not, but it's also a respect thing.

Go try that with other professions, take someone who is not exactly a green horn in their field, say hey, I'll give you a six figure job, but I'm going to pay you less than you currently make, or could make, but it's just for a few years, oh and you won't be home often and your QOL is going to suck, but it's only going to be temporary....trust me!

Now outside of aviation those jobs normally have phrases like these in the description
"Exciting startup"
"Get in on a ground floor opportunity"
"Huge potential earnings"

Now outside of the airlines, most folks skip to the next job ad.

Maybe, maybe not, but it's also a respect thing.

Go try that with other professions, take someone who is not exactly a green horn in their field, say hey, I'll give you a six figure job, but I'm going to pay you less than you currently make, or could make, but it's just for a few years, oh and you won't be home often and your QOL is going to suck, but it's only going to be temporary....trust me!

Now outside of aviation those jobs normally have phrases like these in the description
"Exciting startup"
"Get in on a ground floor opportunity"
"Huge potential earnings"

Now outside of the airlines, most folks skip to the next job ad.

Yeah.....have you ever seen an intern physician's schedule and salary ?

I don't watch reality TV, and I'm sure they edited the footage to show the most audience-pleasing (people acting like idiots) moment. No doubt they could find footage like that about your airline too. Or maybe we've already seen it. ;)

Well maybe, but TV producers aren't stupid - they're most likely gonna go for the airline that has the most "excitement" per day and by golly look who they picked !

To be fair, not contractually, but by bonus. This is to say, your 2nd year pay is lower in the aggregate than first year pay. it's a gimmick. But again in fairness, they're throwing hail mary's wherever they can. I'm very glad the industry is feeling the pressure and the pax are getting upset. This is unfortunately the only currency Americans speak. You gotta hit everybody in their own personal circumstances for them to GAF.

At any rate, I have no visibility on whether or not the effort was organized in a way the company can successfully sue for. Don't get me wrong, nothing about that kind of organized effort is immoral even if it were illegal according to the RLA. Non-airline organized labor has historically had a lot more legal teeth than what airline pilots are afforded, so I'm with them. I just sincerely don't know if they are gonna get smacked down legally. The so-called "no float" campaign at AMERICAN was another scheme that some people believe was instrumental to AA giving the pilots that mid-contract "out of the blue" pay raise, though others feel it was inconsequential to the dynamics that led to said payraise giveaway by the company.

Would something similar occur in Southwest? According to my SW co-workers, survey says no. They have a hand to mouth worker attitude, and they value their ability to throttle their schedules and get paid premium while working de facto regional schedules for less days a month total than a ginger "legacy" schedule for more days a month. Hey, I got no quarrel with that, but that is blue collar hourly worker mentality (the ol' measuring monthly pay in terms of factor of common household item purchases). It's a weird industry, but there you have it. Something for everybody.
Wow, flying as an airline pilot sounds so exciting and glamorous!

Well maybe, but TV producers aren't stupid - they're most likely gonna go for the airline that has the most "excitement" per day and by golly look who they picked !
As I said, I haven't seen much "excitement" on Southwest, or any airline. But I like certain of their practices that other airlines don't duplicate. Different strokes.

That was cold...

Yeah but in medical parlance an intern already has an MD

This would be more like a 250hr CPL.

He can fly for hire, but he's still a greenhorn/"intern"

A ATP has some WORKING years and experience behind his ticket, not a intern

"I was free and clear. I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery."

Back