Spin Zone Removed - 3 Day Hiatus

Nobody else pointed it out, maybe I'm a jerk for saying it....

5 reports in a 12 hour period was too much?

BTW, my earlier guess was right. Go figure.
With all due respect Nick--5 in 12 hours is a lot. That is easily hours worth of effort for the management council to read everything, think about it, write their opinion. Debate each other. Vote. etc. Keep in mind that they might have more important things to be doing at that moment in time.

Jeez, I just joinedthis group 2 days ago, having come from an unmoderated group (RAP) that had been taken over by some real sleazeballs. I'm beginning to wonder if this particular form of censorship isn't much worse.

Jeez, I just joined this group 2 days ago, having come from an unmoderated group (RAP) that had been taken over by some real sleazeballs. I'm beginning to wonder if this particular form of censorship isn't much worse.
Sky,

First, Welcome to the board. I'm glad ya found us.

Second, I'm sorry that's the impression you got. It's not really censorship. It is a measure to avoid killing a forum that several pilots use and enjoy. Yes, some abuse it. Once upon a time, I was one of them. I was banned from the entire board for seven days and thirty days from the Spin Zone because of it. The ban was going to be for life. Gosh, that's a long time! :eek:

Anyway, I appealed to the MC and it was reduced to the lesser periods. That was more than reasonable and I "served my time." They probably did a favor for me since I was completing my CFI ticket at the time. :)

Ordinarily, I wouldn't discuss this openly but I'm telling the story because it's a good example of how things are attempted to be done in a reasonable manner. I also know that if I blow it again, the ban from the Spin Zone will be for life.

You say it was "...taken over by some real sleazeballs." The board was put together from scratch by a few select folks who wanted to discuss aviation and related topics. They left another unnamed board to do this because of the hate and discontent just over aviation-only issues. It was done out of pocket and with a lot of blood, sweat and tears. All three are still being put into it... nearly on a daily basis albeit more of the latter as of late.

Once upon a time when I first came to the board, there was one fella I didn't get along with at all. His ideas and actions drove me up the wall and not a chance in San Francisco would I ever get into a plane with him. Now, he's a major contributor to this board in the form of blood sweat and tears and all without a dime compensation. Now, I respect the guy. We both grew up a little in the couple years I've been here. Well, at least he did. :)

I'd like to see the Spin Zone preserved. The reason I've told before is this seems like the more ideal place to discuss issues close to me. First, I love aviation and I get to read and learn from others here. Those areas of the board sometimes also come with their hiccups as well but are worked through.

On top of that, to be a pilot you can't just walk up to the DMV and take a quick driving test for a ticket. It takes many hours of dedication to instruction and study to earn that ticket. Hence, pilots are achievers. They are someone who works for what they have and what they want.

I may not agree with others who post there but at least I'm a lot more likely to receive a reasoned argument against my point. I'll take that any day over some boards where if your opinion isn't wanted, they delete or change your post.

I'd like ya to stick around the board. That may be selfish because you may have something to say in future threads I want to learn or read about! But, definitely stay around. There are a LOT of great folks on the board and I'm certain you'll come to appreciate these folks as you get to know them.

Again, Welcome! :cheerswine:

Sky,
I'm one of those who does NOT frequent the Spin Zone. In fact, I'm the one who suggested that it be a little difficult to get into to begin with, because I didn't want it to scare off newcomers. It's really just a freewheeling discussion of a number of topics that can generate heated discussion. Think politics and religion. Basically, the rules call for no personal attacks, and people who can't abide by those rules are banned for a period of time. I think that the Management Council (MC) posting earlier in this thread summarizes it pretty well. It isn't at all about censorship, but is rather about civility. Once civility is gone from a significant number, the MC feels, rightly, IMHO, that it's better to close the forum than to let anarchy rule. They're exercising a time-out to let civility regain a foothold!

I am wondering, and I am just throwing this out there, if we shouldn't also consider some minimum entry requirements to get into the SZ?

Most of the people the SZ that are active know each other and have known each other for a while. We tend to have problems with newer arrivals to the SZ who are not as familiar with PoA culture and it's members. We also, I think, wish to encourage participation here not as a SZ member but a member of the greater community of PoA. So I am suggesting that before one can elect to get into the SZ they have to meet a minimum amount of posts. Say 1500 or 2000?

What do you all think about that?
While I don't participate in SZ, I will raise one or two points against this.

First, I'm wondering whether a lot of the folks with 2,000+ posts got to that level BECAUSE of their SZ participation. I've run the math on some of the join dates/total posts, and find numbers up to an average of 15 posts per day for several years. I suspect a lot of those higher numbers are due to participation in SZ discussion. But if someone cannot participate in the SZ because they don't have 2,000 posts, they don't have as good an opportunity to run their post totals up. This is like someone not being able to get a job because they lack experience, but they can't get experience because no one will hire them due to their inexperience...

Second, as someone else posted, this establishes a "special" class of participants, beyond what is needed to ensure the person is a 'bot or spammer. This is likely to make the environment in the rest of the board worse, as people try to pull down the supposed elitists.

Third, and related to the first: Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to a <2000-post user to be able to READ Spin Zone but not respond to what they might consider outrageous claims?

I don't know the MC's philosophy regarding SZ, but I suspect it's considered a lightning rod. Let people flame back and forth in the SZ, and they'll be less likely to interject political comments in postings on the main page. It's possible that even if they kill SZ, they'll still have to treat five complaints in a day...just in more-widely spaced newsgroups.

I'm amazed the MC retains the Spin Zone. They have to pay to support the forum, they have to hassle with making sure the kids play nice, and they risk getting sued over postings made by some people with short fuses. I'm probably one of the few (if not only) person here to actually get sued over his Internet postings. With that, and what happened to AVweb, I can really relate to the MC's worries.

When all is said and done, remember: This is all free...no one is paying for a "service" and thus do not have a right to ignore the limits the MC imposes. Like I say the in guidelines for a small Yahoo Group I moderate:
"There are thousands of mailing lists and discussion groups debating religious issues. There are hundreds of thousands of mailing lists and discussion groups squabbling over politics. And we all know there are millions of ways to ogle women on the Internet, as well.

"But there's only one place to discuss Fly Babies...."
There are other places to take non-aviation-related discussion if SZ goes away....

Ron Wanttaja

Ron,

Many of us do pay volunteer contributions to POA. We don't expect anything special for it, except for extra-large avitars :cheerswine: I personally am not aware of the finer points of the financial arrangements for POA, such as whether anyone on the MC is paying more or less than anyone else to support the hosting, domain registration and bandwidth (I know that when Jesse took over the hosting duties fixed costs likely went down); but I think that the $ argument is the weakest one in this discussion.

Which reminds me, it has been a little while since I last contributed. How 'bout y'all?

Which reminds me, it has been a little while since I last contributed. How 'bout y'all?
I gave at the office. :)

Actually, a contribution toward the chat feature and prior to that, the increased avatar size.

While I don't participate in SZ, I will raise one or two points against this.

First, I'm wondering whether a lot of the folks with 2,000+ posts got to that level BECAUSE of their SZ participation. I've run the math on some of the join dates/total posts, and find numbers up to an average of 15 posts per day for several years. I suspect a lot of those higher numbers are due to participation in SZ discussion.

Some maybe, some are, but there are also posters with high psot counts that have never once posted in the SZ. I see several of those in the top 10 posters.

But if someone cannot participate in the SZ because they don't have 2,000 posts, they don't have as good an opportunity to run their post totals up.
SZ is but one small part of the forum. There are plenty of other places to post and run up post totals. Therefore, I think your characterization is incorrect. The entire point is to get your particpation and thus post totals higher in the non-SZ part of the board first. That way you really get to know people.

This is like someone not being able to get a job because they lack experience, but they can't get experience because no one will hire them due to their inexperience...
Not at all. See abovce. If youare trying to say that there is not enough traffic in the other parts of the board I disagree. There is the traffic there that people want. If they wanted more conversation then more threads would be started. I am actually amazed that over on the purple board there are so many frivolous threads. But that is what the purple denizens enjoy.

Second, as someone else posted, this establishes a "special" class of participants, beyond what is needed to ensure the person is a 'bot or spammer. This is likely to make the environment in the rest of the board worse, as people try to pull down the supposed elitists.
We already have classes on this board. look at the tittles and of course there are MC members and us serfs ;)

Third, and related to the first: Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to a <2000-post user to be able to READ Spin Zone but not respond to what they might consider outrageous claims?
My suggestion is what ever level is set anyone below cannot even see the SZ. So that propblem is solved.

I'm amazed the MC retains the Spin Zone. They have to pay to support the forum, they have to hassle with making sure the kids play nice, and they risk getting sued over postings made by some people with short fuses. I'm probably one of the few (if not only) person here to actually get sued over his Internet postings. With that, and what happened to AVweb, I can really relate to the MC's worries.
I am not aware of what the MC pays out of pocket. But I give them money each year and stepped up when asked to donate for the chat function. Others do the same.

I am not aware of what the MC pays out of pocket.
They pay a lot of their time--which is more then anyone really thinks or respects. They do put a lot of thought towards decisions on this site.

I pay approximately $165 per month for the infrastructure that supports PoA and the Gastons Fly-In. That said--it could be done for less--I'm just one that wants to do it right or not do it at all. I don't mind the money and I feel that the MC truly contributes more then me in just their time alone (think how much a fancy lawyer like Adam looses in billable hours). The time they use sorting through the spin zone is loss money for them.

Last edited:
They pay a lot of their time--which is more then anyone really thinks or respects. They do put a lot of thought towards decisions on this site.

I pay approximately $165 per month for the infrastructure that supports PoA and the Gastons Fly-In. That said--it could be done for less--I'm just one that wants to do it right or not do it at all. I don't mind the money and I feel that the MC truly contributes more then me in just their time alone (think how much a fancy lawyer like Adam looses in billable hours). The time they use sorting through the spin zone is loss money for them.
It is all about choise Jesse. You choose to pay $165/mo, Adam Chooses to spend his time here. Why because you all mus think it is worth it. If that burden that you begged to have becomes too much for you I suggest you choose to do something else.

With all due respect Nick--5 in 12 hours is a lot. That is easily hours worth of effort for the management council to read everything, think about it, write their opinion. Debate each other. Vote. etc. Keep in mind that they might have more important things to be doing at that moment in time.
I also think 5 in 12 hours is a lot and I had no idea how much time the MC spends debating these things. I'm wondering if part of the problem is the people who are reporting other people. If you don't like what you are reading in the spin zone don't read it or grow a thicker skin. Either that or deal with the other person in private. Everyone is here voluntarily, after all. I think the only "bad post" I have ever reported was obviously spam and I think I was the first one to come across it. I also don't think that newbies should be kept out of SZ or not allowed to post. That's a pretty cliquish attitude, in my opinion.

Anyway, many thanks to the MC for everthing they do. I am OK with whatever you decide.

I also don't think that newbies should be kept out of SZ or not allowed to post. That's a pretty cliquish attitude, in my opinion.

I disagree. I think it is good for people to play in the POA sandbox and get to know the other kids first. Without verbal cues, some of the banter in SZ is VERY easy to misunderstand. I think it would be helpful to get the feel of the place and people before venturing into the SZ ring.

One man's opinion. I just can't wait for the 3 days to end -- so much has happened in the last 48hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the shakes, I can't sleep, my vision is blurry.. I need my fix.

My problem with Scott's numbers is I've been active, for me, here a year and still have not reached 500 posts. But once in a while I have had a word to say in the SZ although mostly I watch and read some of what the heavy weight posters have to say.

I would think with the opt in and a reasonable time period / number of posts to view the waters before jumping in and taking offense to everything would work. But 1500 posts or 3 and 1/2 years for me seems a bit excessive.

I disagree. I think it is good for people to play in the POA sandbox and get to know the other kids first. Without verbal cues, some of the banter in SZ is VERY easy to misunderstand. I think it would be helpful to get the feel of the place and people before venturing into the SZ ring.
I'm not sure how much that is going to help because some of the most active SZ posters don't post much in the main forums. Also I seem to remember one person (who is gone now) who made reasonable aviation posts but was totally different in the SZ.

It is all about choise Jesse. You choose to pay $165/mo, Adam Chooses to spend his time here. Why because you all mus think it is worth it. If that burden that you begged to have becomes too much for you I suggest you choose to do something else.

Scott--Seriously, relax. I never once said the burden was too much. I'm simply stating that there comes a point to where people have to get crap done that is unrelated to this forum. When the members are unable to control themselves and post reports flood in from all over the place--what are the options? Let it go or stop the forum.

Keep in mind--All I've said is simply my opinion and nothing more. I do not represent the MC whatsoever.

Huge thanks to the MC team for putting up with all the garbage. Five posts in half a day is huge. I can say with certainty there's no way I'd want to do that as a permanent job and I'd probably want to cut off the SZ too if it impinged on my free time that much, all the time.

Would it be possible to switch out the MCs for the SZ in the short term - or maybe a rotating team? I bet if the people involved in the SZ knew first hand what a pain in the tuckus being an MC actually is, they would calm down?

For instance, each person who contributes to SZ in the past month should moderate for one week of that month. If it takes 6 people on a committee, then there would be 24 people per month involved.

The ad hoc MC team would only consult the "head" MC team if they wanted to actually ban someone.

Just a thought. If we all had skin in the game then things might calm down - yes, no?

Maybe even if we just did this for the next 8-9 weeks leading up to the election? 8-9 rotating teams? It probably should involve the top posters there because why subject someone who posted 5 posts in SZ to reading all the crap.

The MCs would know - has it gotten much much worse lately, or is it always this bad and you have just dealt with it?

Or is this just administratively not possible.

Scott--Seriously, relax. I never once said the burden was too much. I'm simply stating that there comes a point to where people have to get crap done that is unrelated to this forum. When the members are unable to control themselves and post reports flood in from all over the place--what are the options? Let it go or stop the forum.

Keep in mind--All I've said is simply my opinion and nothing more. I do not represent the MC whatsoever.
I am relaxed Jesse You seem to be the one that overly defense throughout this whole thread.

All I said is that you as an adult have to make choices. If something is taking too much of your time and money then you have to choose to not let. That means if this is too much for anyone then they should opt off of the MC. That has happened before, nothing wrong with that. I spend an awful lot of my time on 3 volunteer organizations, they will suck you dry if you let them. Sometimes you just have to say NO.

If I'm hosting (acting as MC member on behalf of all participants) a large gathering of people in my large hangar/hall (call it the forum)and all but two or three are behaving as reasonable adults, and enjoying civil debates/conversations, why do all the civil ones need to get "thicker skin" in order to remain at the gathering? I would think it reasonable to ask the uncivil ones to tone it down or leave the party until their behavior could improve to the point where it meets my (POA ROC) standards. After all it is my (POA's) party and I want all my guests to enjoy themselves without needing to tough it out so some rude partygoers could shout at each other.

I have no dog in this fight as I don't go to SZ, but it pains me to see this divisiveness over the percieved "rights" of a few to engage in behavior that I'd bet they wouldn't exhibit at Gaston's in person. Nobody here has the "right" to anything except the person with the power to shut down POA altogether. I hear the Purple board is a good place to engage in typing jousts. I don't go there either, though I suspect there a quite a few people there I admire and respect from their posts both here and on the Red board.

If I'm hosting (acting as MC member on behalf of all participants) a large gathering of people in my large hangar/hall (call it the forum)and all but two or three are behaving as reasonable adults, and enjoying civil debates/conversations, why do all the civil ones need to get "thicker skin" in order to remain at the gathering? I would think it reasonable to ask the uncivil ones to tone it down or leave the party until their behavior could improve to the point where it meets my (POA ROC) standards. After all it is my (POA's) party and I want all my guests to enjoy themselves without needing to tough it out so some rude partygoers could shout at each other.
I think that would be appropriate but the RoC do not allow for that and the MC had affirmed on several occasion that participants should only hit the Bad Post function.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159431&postcount=1

We would like to remind all members not to use the forums or chat area to chastise or otherwise attempt to correct the behavior of others on this site, including the chat area. Such actions generally seem to inflame the situation rather than calm it, especially given the public nature of such posts. When called out publicly, the corrected party often feels compelled to to defend his/her original statements or to pick at the correcting party. In addition, the original post may not have actually violated our RoC, and then we are forced to intervene to correct the correcter in a way that may not be easily kept private (we prefer to "commend in public but correct in private").

This is not to say we don't want folks to discuss the various sides of an issue, but if you feel someone has violated the PoA Rules of Conduct, bring it to our attention by using the "bad post" button (the red-edged triangle with the ! in the middle). This not only flags the post, but sends an alerting email to the Management Council members. We will investigate the matter to determine if action is required, and if it is, will do so privately.
This policy does have the unintended consequence of creating more work for the MCs

Don't you have banjo camp or something to attend to...?

:rolleyes:
Yep I head out tonight.
ABClogoTWd.jpg

Take a hard look at adding the "thread ignore" option.

I think that would be appropriate but the RoC do not allow for that and the MC had affirmed on several occasion that participants should only hit the Bad Post function.

Actually what I was trying to say was not for the general membership to try to tone down the rude members, but that i find it reasonable for the management staff to ban, scorch, fold, spindle or mutilate posters who, despite knowing the rules and being fairly warned of looming doom, continue their recalcitrant ways. (Perhaps there is a way to just ban the offenders from SZ only)
It should not be up to the rest of the civil participants to have to tolerate such behavior by getting thicker skin. Neither do I think that the civil ones should be punished for the sins of the sinners.
It seems that there are a few who are suffering the SZ DT's right now. I don't know if these are civil SZ members or if they are itching to get back into the fray. My main concern is that the best aviation forum on the internet appears to be in turmoil and that ain't good, no matter how you look at it.

Now, lets all sing........

Kum ba ya, my lord...
Kum ba ya...(3x)
Oh , Lord.. Kum ba ya

Someone's cry in Lord... Kum ba ya
(3x)
Oh , Lord.. Kum ba ya

Someone'spray in Lord...
Kum ba ya...
(3x)
Oh, Lord.. Kumbaya...

Someone's sing in Lord ...
Kum ba ya...
(3x)

oh, Lord ... Kumbaya... Kumbaya...
Kumbaya , my Lord

A few more thoughts:

Get rid of the bad post button. It's election season. You don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen. Let it be a free-for-all until after the first week of November.

Whether or not the bad post button goes away - as an interim measure, any two people who are having issues with each other should be required to have the "ignore" button activated for such other person as a condition to their remaining in the SZ. I am sure the MCs can view that. If they do not hit the ignore button on that other person, then - banned.

thoughts?

Actually what I was trying to say was not for the general membership to try to tone down the rude members, but that i find it reasonable for the management staff to ban, scorch, fold, spindle or mutilate posters who, despite knowing the rules and being fairly warned of looming doom, continue their recalcitrant ways. (Perhaps there is a way to just ban the offenders from SZ only)
It should not be up to the rest of the civil participants to have to tolerate such behavior by getting thicker skin. Neither do I think that the civil ones should be punished for the sins of the sinners.
It seems that there are a few who are suffering the SZ DT's right now. I don't know if these are civil SZ members or if they are itching to get back into the fray. My main concern is that the best aviation forum on the internet appears to be in turmoil and that ain't good, no matter how you look at it.

Now, lets all sing........

Kum ba ya, my lord...
Kum ba ya...(3x)
Oh , Lord.. Kum ba ya

Someone's cry in Lord... Kum ba ya
(3x)
Oh , Lord.. Kum ba ya

Someone'spray in Lord...
Kum ba ya...
(3x)
Oh, Lord.. Kumbaya...

Someone's sing in Lord ...
Kum ba ya...
(3x)

oh, Lord ... Kumbaya... Kumbaya...
Kumbaya , my Lord

:D:D

Maybe not so bad as you think. Having to have lived through the Red Board turmoil and other boards that did self destruct I would say what we have here is a little drama. It just seems like turmoil because for the most part we all get along so well. All it take is for one guy to fly off the handle half-cocked to ruin it for all.

Last edited:
A few more thoughts:

Get rid of the bad post button. It's election season. You don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen. Let it be a free-for-all until after the first week of November.

Whether or not the bad post button goes away - as an interim measure, any two people who are having issues with each other should be required to have the "ignore" button activated for such other person as a condition to their remaining in the SZ. I am sure the MCs can view that. If they do not hit the ignore button on that other person, then - banned.

thoughts?

I think the MC (and you would know more about this than I) may open up some liability if there was no way to report bad posts. I think we're all still sensitive to the Avweb law suit and if the MC was not aware of potentially libelous behavior then that is not good.

:D:D

Maybe not so bad as you think. Having to have lived through the Red Board turmoil and other boards that did self destruct I would say what we have here is a little drama. It just seems like turmoil because for the most part we all get along so well.

I, too am a scarred veteran of the Red Board wars. That's why I am here. The AOPA forums are a pure aviation forum now thanks to strict moderation. That's another reason why I'm here. At first, when some of the more animated Red Board posters (I think it was actually Yellow then) first came to POA because the AOPA had shut their forums down, I was concerned that this place would just degenerate into a new bullfighting arena. But good rules, amd further, good application of those rules has kept it civil.
To me the Red Board has swung to the other extreme. I still go there occasionally to read the airplane ownership forum. Here, I enjoy reading (and the occasional post) about other things we are collectively interested in as well as aviation stuff.
I hope to someday meet more POA'ers than I met here in Atlanta when Henning stopped by. It is the kind of thing that got Henning to Atlanta that I find the most unique thing about this forum. We are hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles apart and yet are connected by this keyboard thing in such a way we think of each other as more than just other pilots, more like old classmates who keep in touch with each other through the years.
My post count is on the rise now huh?

I, too am a scarred veteran of the Red Board wars. That's why I am here. The AOPA forums are a pure aviation forum now thanks to strict moderation. That's another reason why I'm here. At first, when some of the more animated Red Board posters (I think it was actually Yellow then) first came to POA because the AOPA had shut their forums down, I was concerned that this place would just degenerate into a new bullfighting arena. But good rules, amd further, good application of those rules has kept it civil.
To me the Red Board has swung to the other extreme. I still go there occasionally to read the airplane ownership forum. Here, I enjoy reading (and the occasional post) about other things we are collectively interested in as well as aviation stuff.
I hope to someday meet more POA'ers than I met here in Atlanta when Henning stopped by. It is the kind of thing that got Henning to Atlanta that I find the most unique thing about this forum. We are hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles apart and yet are connected by this keyboard thing in such a way we think of each other as more than just other pilots, more like old classmates who keep in touch with each other through the years.
My post count is on the rise now huh?

+10 Keith

That's an idea, Elizabeth. I still have questions if the people who are reporting bad posts are doing so legitimately or are trying to get the MC to run interference for them because they don't get along with someone else in SZ.

thoughts?
I have never had anyone on "ignore" but it seems like the conversations wouldn't make any sense if you could only read part of them. :dunno:

I have never had anyone on "ignore" but it seems like the conversations wouldn't make any sense if you could only read part of them. :dunno:
I have one person on ignore but he is not active here any longer. The only posts he was making were spam like anyways so not much to miss. When Joe Williams was active I had him on ignore and while you do get blank spots in threads they were joyful breaks if you get my meaning. The only real drawback was someone quote a person on you ignore list. Then you see the post you had hoped to ignore.

That's an idea, Elizabeth. I still have questions if the people who are reporting bad posts are doing so legitimately or are trying to get the MC to run interference for them because they don't get along with someone else in SZ.

That's a very valid point, and one that I have made before. None of the currently active SZ posters are guilty of it AFAIK, but it has happened in the past.

I am relaxed Jesse You seem to be the one that overly defense throughout this whole thread.

All I said is that you as an adult have to make choices. If something is taking too much of your time and money then you have to choose to not let. That means if this is too much for anyone then they should opt off of the MC. That has happened before, nothing wrong with that. I spend an awful lot of my time on 3 volunteer organizations, they will suck you dry if you let them. Sometimes you just have to say NO.

I don't know, Scott. I've read his posts a couple of times to try to find what you're hearing in his tone and I can't find it.

I know from talking with Jesse the kind of time and money that he puts into supporting this forum. But that is just because I work with him every day. He never complains about it in this forum and he has never once complained about it to me. He volunteered for it and he's lived up to his end of the bargain time and again since taking it on. All the while he has paid for all hosting and backups out of his pocket every month. He was simply stating (for somebody that asked) what the costs involved really were.

I've always had a great deal of respect for you, Scott, and that's not changing. But the longer this thread has gone on the more you've seemed ungrateful for what is being provided for you. Neither this forum nor the spin zone are a right. It takes a lot of work and a lot of money to keep it going and you've seemed to minimize that effort throughout this discussion. For somebody that spends about 25% of his waking hours on the board, I would think that you, of all people, would appreciate what you get for the price you pay.

The thought of 1500 or 2000 posts being required for inclusion into the spin zone is ridiculous. I feel as if I've got a pretty good pulse on the board. I've been to four fly-ins in my two years (Ames twice and Gastons twice). Met a ton of members (including you) and read the board several times throughout the day (every day). I've been a member here for over two years and I don't even have 1500 posts yet. According to your measuring stick, I'm not yet seasoned enough to participate in the magic discussions.

Last edited:
I still have questions if the people who are reporting bad posts are doing so legitimately or are trying to get the MC to run interference for them because they don't get along with someone else in SZ.

Perhaps if it took more than one person to report a particular post, the only way this could be accomplished is by an offline collaborative agreement, and that sounds like too much bother.

I'm not sure how much that is going to help because some of the most active SZ posters don't post much in the main forums.

That's why I think it would be good to get them more involved on the aviation side first (i.e. the reason the board exists in the first place) before swapping insults in SZ.

Also I seem to remember one person (who is gone now) who made reasonable aviation posts but was totally different in the SZ.

Yeah, I had that same thought. Actually I can think of 2 now-departed that were fine and frequent posters on the flying side, but went nuts on the SZ side. I dunno. No good answers I suppose.

I'll just reiterate - I really enjoy the give-and-take on serious topics. I wish people could control their eTempers better.

Back