Spin Zone Removed - 3 Day Hiatus

This comment is NOT SZ specific, but a general suggestion. If someone is suspended from any aspect of PoA, before being reinstated they must write a letter of apology that addresses the reason they were sanctioned. If they cannot write that, then there is a disconnect between why they think they were punished and why they actually were punished, and a conversation should be held to achieve understanding by both parties. Sanctioning someone without being able to specify why is problematic. I can see some instances in which it might be warranted, but seems to fly in face of the right to face ones' accuser.

The SZ is walled garden and many people do not wish to particpate there and NO ONE is making them. I find it absoltely hilarious that people who never go there are calling for soemthign they do not even see to to go away if it were up to them.

Ain't it though. What passions things that folks "aren't interested in" and they "don't go to" can incite!!!

But, I missed whatever "awful" posts and poster led to this so I can't comment further.

I'll say what I always say about these things: "Their Board, their rules." Thanks to any and all volunteers who help provide a "front porch" :cheerswine:

3 day histus is like spanking the whole kindergarden class for one kid swearing.

Holding the person responsible is not in fashion any more.

A time out, was once upon a time a period when the perp got their butt kicked by those in charge.

This comment is NOT SZ specific, but a general suggestion. If someone is suspended from any aspect of PoA, before being reinstated they must write a letter of apology that addresses the reason they were sanctioned. If they cannot write that, then there is a disconnect between why they think they were punished and why they actually were punished, and a conversation should be held to achieve understanding by both parties. Sanctioning someone without being able to specify why is problematic. I can see some instances in which it might be warranted, but seems to fly in face of the right to face ones' accuser.
Agree 100%. If there's a situation in which somebody says, "Look, I'm happy to apologize for whatever I did wrong, but first I need to know what exactly it was that I did wrong" then somewhere, somehow the system has failed. This isn't like in a romantic relationship in which the guy is expected to memorize the refrain, "Yes, dear. You're right. I'm sorry" and not ask any questions. ;)

In the absence of even a basic explanation of the infraction, the only logical conclusion that one could possibly draw is that there wasn't actually an infraction in the first place. And that's where things start to fall apart.

Maybe the "effort" is directed chiefly to the "important" members.

Thankful? LOL! Whatever.

I don't know what to tell you Frank. This community is what it is. I put considerable resources (time and money) towards keeping it running. There are always other sites if you don't agree. The MC does a fine job of running it.

Last edited:
.... The MC does a fine job of running it.
If by "fine job" you mean threats of MC action by a MC member against a poster simply for following the suggestion of another MC member, then yes, I agree.

And this was because the Management PM box is a black hole from which no response to a member can escape.

Last edited:
I get busy with classes starting and you folks get all rowdy. Tsk tsk. :eek:

Anyhow, I'm with others that killing the whole forum is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I wonder; however, if it is seen that the participants in SZ are not as active in the other areas of PoA and therefore not "part of the family", making such a decision to kill a section of the site more permissible. :dunno:

I love PoA, I love having a lot in common with the folks I get to carry on with, but in the end, this is just another private website and the owner (or any admin) can decide on a whim that you're not welcome, with or without reason.

For the first time in my life I get to post

IBTL

You have no idea how much fun it is to type when it's not included as a search item.

Joe

IBTL

You have no idea how much fun it is to type when it's not included as a search item.

Joe

Hah. Shall we cue the violins and say "It's been an honor playing with you"? :cheerswine: :D

The MC has been monitoring the thread about our decision to take the Spin Zone off line for three days. We are concerned that some people did not understand why we are doing this, and that some people seem uninformed about the process involved in dealing with reported violations. Since that process is a factor in why we made this decision, we'll start there.

When someone hits the "Bad Post" button, the following process begins:
  1. A new thread is started in the Disciplinary Action forum (MC members only) including the post in question, the comments of the reporter, and the names of the reporter and alleged offender.
  2. An email is generated to all six members of the MC including the same information.
  3. Each member of the MC goes to the site, logs in, reads the report, and then reviews the post in question as well as the thread leading up to it.
  4. Each MC member posts their comments and recommendations in the DA forum thread.
  5. One member will formulate a proposed action to be voted on by the MC.
  6. Other MC members will either vote to take action, recommend changes, or vote to not take action.
  7. Once a majority approves the plan of action, one member will write a proposed message to the offender explaining what action is being taken, and why, including what portion of the RoC was violated. This step may be combined with the formulation of the proposed action.
  8. Once again, the other members will either approve or recommend changes to that message. Again, this may be combined with the prior approval.
  9. When a majority approves, the action will be effected and the message sent to the offender from the PoA Management account.
This usually takes a couple of days of MC members checking in and out, making their inputs, etc. In some cases, the offender will appeal this action to the MC, stating why s/he feels the action was unjustified. At this point, the first MC member to see that message will copy it to the thread in the DA forum, and the process above starts again at Step 3. Decisions to suspend or ban users (with the exception of obvious spammers) are NEVER made unilaterally or without majority vote of the MC. And those decisions often involve considerable discussion.[/

Out of respect for our members' privacy, and to avoid embarrassing anyone, we conduct this process out of the public view. We do not post publicly any of the actions taken, nor whom they are taken against. Further, we expressly forbid the public discussion of any disciplinary actions taken -- we, the MC, are simply unwilling to engage in public debate over the operation of this privately owned and operated site. Even if a member violates that rule, we will not expose to the public what we did or who we did it to, or even present the full story when a member posts less than that. We reserve the right to delete threads that publically discuss disciplinary actions, especially ones that offer only one opinion of an action. We are always willing to listen to suggestions on how to improve our processes or to do things better, but we are unwilling to engage in public debate (or whining) about specific actions. We understand that there are always one or more opinions on the correct course of action, but at some point we have to be decisive. Public discussion after the fact doesn't alter the need for the MC to be the decider.

In addition, when a member of the MC feels that a conflict of interest exists, that member will recuse him/herself from the process; in some cases, other MC members have suggested that one member do so, and the MC member in question has always done so.

Likewise, where an individual MC member acts quickly to stop egregious violations (like SPAM) or threads that are spinning into an abyss, that action is subject to review and reversal by the MC as a whole. We have reversed such decisions in the past, and we will continue to look at them closely in the future.

As we said a couple of weeks ago, the MC members had concluded that the number of reported violations in the Spin Zone had reached the point where we were becoming unable to keep up with them. This was causing long delays between reports and actions, and that is a bad way to do business. We posted a message to the membership explaining that, and requested that all people posting in the Spin Zone take heed, as we were on the verge of eliminating it completely in order to keep our voluntary workload manageable. Instead, the number of reported violations picked up -- reaching five violations in a 12 hour period this week, albeit involving only three posters.

This cannot continue -- we, the MC, simply do not have time to deal with this level of trouble.

We considered briefly pulling the plug on the Spin Zone immediately, but chose instead to give it a 3-day "time out" as a final chance for those participating in the Spin Zone to reconsider how they present their points there. If upon reopening, the level of rhetoric does not return from "heated personal insult" to "civil discourse," we will end it without further discussion. To clarify, discussion - even heated discussion - regarding topics are permitted, discussion, baiting, insults, attacks of a personal nature are NOT acceptable.(Example: "The /insert political party/ has really fornicated the pooch because...." or "/Insert whipping boy media network/ is a tool of the /Insert political party/..." are perfectly fine. "You are a steenking pile of /insert political term/ dung..." or "Why are you even back here in this forum..." are NOT ACCEPTABLE.)

We realize that the vast majority of posters in that forum play by the rules, but because we, the MC, simply do not have the time to deal with the few people who do not, we cannot let this continue. Our alternatives would be either to stop enforcing the rules there and allow it to degenerate into anarchy, or to permanently suspend from that forum everyone who breaks a rule even once. Because we are not willing to accept anarchy, considering that this site is chartered as an AVIATION COMMUNITY, not a POLITICAL or PERSONAL INSULT site, and we likewise don't want a one-strike-and-you're-out environment, we have chosen a temporary shutdown of the Spin Zone over those other alternatives. We are currently contemplating whether to delete the current threads in Spin Zone and start with a clean slate.

As with so many things in an civilized society, the actions of a few will decide whether a privilege is allowed for everyone. We realize that this can be viewed as unfair by the many people who participate civilly in the Spin Zone. We realize that in normal society, there are ways for peer pressure to deal with such situations. However, peer pressure doesn't seem to work in the cyberworld, and we, the MC, simply do not have the time to deal with the not-small-enough minority of posters who cause these problems too often, but cannot accept their actions.

For all these reasons, the Spin Zone is on the chopping block, and it won't take but a few of you to bring the axe down.

To the MC:

Thank you for your post. That was a good explanation. I missed whatever earlier "threat" was posted about end of SZ, so this latest action came out of the blue for me.

I agree with all of your positions, except I might suggest a simple notification, along the lines of "XYZ has been banned from the SZ due to misconduct until ...." No more, no less. Otherwise it's as if no discipline was meted out, people drift away for a few days for some reason then come back, sometimes with a vengeance. Perhaps if we had a head's up about violators, it might help us navigate stormy waters better. Whatever, it's your call -- I just post here!!:)

I also had no idea how much babysitting you guys have had to provide. That is somewhat above and beyond the (voluntary) call of duty, and kind of sad, really, given that we're dealing with adults here.

We are always willing to listen to suggestions on how to improve our processes or to do things better...

In the above spirit of community improvement, my suggestion is as follows: In instances in which administrative action is deemed necessary, specificity with regard to the violative activity is important. "We have reviewed the thread <whatever thread> and found violating posts in it" or some such doesn't cut it: A simple inclusion of something along the lines of, "Your words <RoC-violating text here> in the post <RoC-violating post here> were deemed to violate <RoC violated here>" would help tremendously -- in fact, that could be the entirety of the notification.

That one sentence and couple of copy/paste actions would go a long, long way to avoiding confusion, helping SZ participants get on the same page vis a vis the RoC, eliminating any appearance of inequity, keeping things more orderly overall, and -- ultimately -- reducing the hassle on your end. Confusion, mis-communication, and lack of detail is bad for everybody.

I don't think I'm out of line in believing that that's a reasonable suggestion.

Last edited:
I am wondering, and I am just throwing this out there, if we shouldn't also consider some minimum entry requirements to get into the SZ?

Most of the people the SZ that are active know each other and have known each other for a while. We tend to have problems with newer arrivals to the SZ who are not as familiar with PoA culture and it's members. We also, I think, wish to encourage participation here not as a SZ member but a member of the greater community of PoA. So I am suggesting that before one can elect to get into the SZ they have to meet a minimum amount of posts. Say 1500 or 2000?

What do you all think about that?

So I am suggesting that before one can elect to get into the SZ they have to meet a minimum amount of posts. Say 1500 or 2000?

What do you all think about that?

How do you think I got to 2000??:D

Not a bad idea. I've had the same thought, namely, that many problems are caused by those not familiar with the zone and its combatants. Plus, it would encourage involvement in PoA from the get-go. I'm not a fan of folks who join sites only to get involved in the political zone without interest in the greater board.

Not a bad idea. I've had the same thought, namely, that many problems are caused by those not familiar with the zone and its combatants. Plus, it would encourage involvement in PoA from the get-go. I'm not a fan of folks who join sites only to get involved in the political zone without interest in the greater board.
I don't necessarily dislike the idea, other than that as is probably quite clear, I'm a lurker in the aviation sections here. I don't post a lot because, frankly, I'm an extremely low-time pilot and don't have a ton to say (an adage about not being able to talk and learn at the same time comes to mind). I think it'd be a shame to run-off or discourage folks who are in the same boat from participating in this community.

Now, a minimum-time requirement or some such to post in the SZ might be a little bit more reasonable; that'd give folks the chance to get a feel for it and see what it's all about before posting instead of just popping in, detonating a giant rhetoric bomb that causes tons of problems, and then taking off.

I agree, there should be some familiarity before SZ may be entered. Who knows if people who left in a snit are back under a different name just to stir the pot.

Also, why is giving just certain members a time out such a bad idea? If someone violates the ROC - let em know, and 15 days off. Before you know it, it will be early November and then it will calm down anyway.

You have to admit, there is SO MUCH to talk about with the current race!

I lurked here a for long time and slowly built my posts up. It really was not until the Red Board Management declared anything non-aviation related that I starte dot post here a lot. The main reason was that I am not a one dimensional person. Anyone who has met me know I fill in all 3 dimensions quite well. ;)

Even then I was not politically posting a lot. It was not until well after the SZ had been created that I decided to participate there.

IBTL

Wow, I had to look that up.

IBTL
"In Before The Lock": An abbreviation posted to a thread on a web-based forum when the poster knows that any rational debate has long since been abandoned, and will shortly be locked by the forum administrator.

Instead, the number of reported violations picked up -- reaching five violations in a 12 hour period this week, albeit involving only three posters.

This cannot continue -- we, the MC, simply do not have time to deal with this level of trouble.

Agreed... But those three posters need to be banned for a while.

We realize that the vast majority of posters in that forum play by the rules,

And that is why the Spin Zone must stay.

Hangar Talk is there for doing hangar talk, and we all know that includes many different subjects, including non-aviation ones. Remember why the Spin Zone was created: To keep the really contentious stuff out of Hangar Talk. It has done an admirable job.

Sure, there are politics boards. Would I go there? No way. The reason we like to discuss politics in the SZ here instead is that we all have an elevated level of respect for our fellow pilots as opposed to random members of the general public. I don't give a rat's patootie what most people say about politics. But, I have a level of respect for my family here and I do care to learn from others in all areas.

Sooner or later, if SZ is gone, that material will once again be back in Hangar Talk, and that'll push non-SZ people away from PoA entirely. It's not too long before we turn into the red board.

we, the MC, simply do not have the time to deal with the not-small-enough minority of posters who cause these problems too often, but cannot accept their actions.

How about a separate Spin-Zone-only MC? Heck, I'd be tired of it too if I were you guys. Make the Spin Zone self-governing via its own MC, and you won't have to worry about it any more.

Speaking as a new member of POA, I think the idea of requiring a min number of posts before a new member can join the SZ sends the message "new people not welcome"

Note: I'm not interested in the SZ.

Speaking as a new member of POA, I think the idea of requiring a min number of posts before a new member can join the SZ sends the message "new people not welcome"

Well, it does ensure that you're a real member of the community and understand the vibes first... But 2000 posts is ridiculous, there's only a couple handfuls of people that have that many. 100 maybe.

Nobody else pointed it out, maybe I'm a jerk for saying it....

5 reports in a 12 hour period was too much?

BTW, my earlier guess was right. Go figure.

Nobody else pointed it out, maybe I'm a jerk for saying it....

5 reports in a 12 hour period was too much?

BTW, my earlier guess was right. Go figure.

No flame intended, Nick, but IMHO 5 in 12 is too much. I think 1 in 12 is too much. We're all, or mostly, adults here. People should learn to act like it. It's not like MC is being PAID to babysit!

Well, it does ensure that you're a real member of the community and understand the vibes first... But 2000 posts is ridiculous, there's only a couple handfuls of people that have that many. 100 maybe.
At 2000 you catch almost all of the active SZ participants. Putting it at 1500 you catch them all.

Note: I'm not interested in the SZ.
I think it sends the message welcome and get to know us a bit.

At first, I was bugged about the shut down. After a reply with some explanation that was also included in the recent MC post, I was more understanding. I think that was reflected in my later posts. The "cooling period" is better than a complete ban.

As for requiring a certain post count before entering the SZ, that's not entirely a bad idea but it would be wrong to enforce that on existing members. I'm not sure that would be possible without extensive code writing and I don't think Jesse is anxious for the additional "job security" with the board.

I suppose there's an alternative... I said it in a previous post... "If we want the SZ to survive, we have to protect its integrity and that of each other."

Is your objective to close the SZ to just the current participants?

At 2000 you catch almost all of the active SZ participants. Putting it at 1500 you catch them all.

Or make it so people with less than 1500 can't post in SZ, but they can join the forum and READ for a while, and participate in the other forums til they gain some experience (from people with more experience) on proper SZ behavior.

I'd just like to say the MC does an awesome, often thankless job... to me, it's sad that they have to spend their time participating in disciplinary threads instead of reading and participating in all the other aviation-related aspects of this community.

Yep, sure looks like us newbies can learn a lot from that group, that can't even keep themselves on the forums. Where do we sign up for indoc?

Or make it so people with less than 1500 can't post in SZ, but they can join the forum and READ for a while, and participate in the other forums til they gain some experience (from people with more experience) on proper SZ behavior.

I'd just like to say the MC does an awesome, often thankless job... to me, it's sad that they have to spend their time participating in disciplinary threads instead of reading and participating in all the other aviation-related aspects of this community.

Yep, sure looks like us newbies can learn a lot from that group, that can't even keep themselves on the forums. Where do we sign up for indoc?

Wayne - while your point is well taken, none of us can be absolutely sure the cause for the hiatus is those who post in SZ on a regular basis. It MAY have been the result of those who are relatively new to the site and haven't learned the personalities.

Negative. Objective is to make sure folks know each other before addressing more incindiary targets. We're all pilots. Nothing wrong with spending time on flying stuff whilst boosting post counts.

I can speak from personal experience that, when I first dipped my toes in the SZ waters, I was discombobulated. Took a while to get the vibe, as it were. Maybe a period of lurking, followed by the ability to post, might work. Still, as Ken said, I don't want to make more work for poor Jesse. He already hates SZ as it is. ;)

Back