Spin Zone or No Spin Zone, That Is The Question...

Spoin Zone or No Spin Zone

• Close The Spin Zone

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Leave It Open With Suspensions For Offenders

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Close It And Open The Skin Zone

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Leave It Alone, It Served Pilots Well

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
Beechtalk had a political thread. Same problem as spinzone, people couldn't keep the heated discussions restricted to the political thread and it bled out into the greater forum. The owners just deleted the thread and fixed the problem.

Beechtalk forums aren't publicly accessible, for one. Another differing factor may be the ratio of moderators to posters. And especially how aggressive the moderators are willing to work to deal with miscreants.

On PoA it is often stressed that moderators are unpaid volunteers, which appeals to the wrong motivations in both the posters and the moderators. People will hesitate to "bother" the unpaid moderators because they've heard so many times how it is something of an imposition to moderate. Not to mention the cultural tendency to not rat on someone when everyone else seems to be OK with violations. The moderators, in turn, have said how they rely on posters to report violations because it is impossible, or at least an imposition, to expect them to read every post on every thread.

Currently 2,022 votes to close the SZ. There were about 30 votes total this afternoon.

Pilots of America Message Board Statistics
Threads: 83,930, Posts: 1,904,074, Members: 21,957

Currently Active Users: 1398 (356 members and 1042 guests)
Most users ever online was 5,083, August 12th, 2015 at 03:47 AM.

We managed to get 10% of registered members to vote in this one little poll, 60% more than are even online at the moment, and they all voted in favor of the MC decision.

Who says Democrat politics is dead?

Re: **** Zone or No **** Zone, That Is The Question...

Currently 2,022 votes to close the SZ. There were about 30 votes total this afternoon.

We managed to get 10% of registered members to vote in this one little poll, 60% more than are even online at the moment, and they all voted in favor of the MC decision.

Who says Democrat politics is dead?

That "result" is a sure sign this thread will be gone shortly. Ask me how I know....

I feel the Skin Zone is not getting a fair shake.

Beechtalk forums aren't publicly accessible, for one. Another differing factor may be the ratio of moderators to posters. And especially how aggressive the moderators are willing to work to deal with miscreants.

Beechtalk is searchable on google (except for the accident section). There are 34,000 registered users (most of them lurkers) and two forum owners. They have no qualms suspending or deleting the accounts of people who can't play nice.

That "result" is a sure sign this thread will be gone shortly. Ask me how I know....

Now over 20,000 votes in favor.

If one or more members of the MC has a burr up their ass about the poll, just lock or delete it. No point in trying to be funny.

If one or more members of the MC has a burr up their ass about the poll, just lock or delete it. No point in trying to be funny.

It's me. No burr. Just voting. (our votes count extra).

Beechtalk is searchable on google (except for the accident section). There are 34,000 registered users (most of them lurkers) and two forum owners. They have no qualms suspending or deleting the accounts of people who can't play nice.

Beechtalk also requires posters to identify themselves, and the moderators are rather heavy-handed (and sometimes in error). But, it generally seems to be a more productive forum, I believe in large part due to the former.

JKG

Last edited:

Well that's settled then. :D

The people have spoken.

If the MC rigorously enforced all the Rules of Conduct so that they warned and then banned members who violated the rules...

You sure do make a lot of assumptions.

You somehow magically know what goes on behind the scenes?

Trust me...

..your assumptions are wrong.

I know.

In my case I don't have to assume.

Last edited:

Well that's settled then. :D

The people have spoken.

Yes, settled Science.

If you object you will be silenced and should be prosecuted as an enemy of Humanity.

The fix is in, Deej.

It's me. No burr. Just voting. (our votes count extra).

Ah, Republicn voting tactics. Gerrymandering at its best.

That's not about being funny, it's about exerting and proving omnipotent power. "I am greater than all of you combined."

That's not about being funny, it's about exerting and proving omnipotent power. "I am greater than all of you combined."

lol, seriously?

Yes.. Whether you understand it or not, that's the driving psychopathy.

You obviously don't know me very well. Despite having known each other on here (and being Facebook friends) for many many years.

He called you impotent Jason...that's a personal attack if I ever heard one!!!!

Oh, wait, wasn't it just 5 minutes ago that I told you I'd try to curtail my smartassed humor for the next week or so?

Disregard! :redface:

:wink2:

You obviously don't know me very well. Despite having known each other on here (and being Facebook friends) for many many years.

We are all driven by the same psycopathies because we all share the same intelligence. Who we are as individuals is a factor of how we have them balanced, and how much reign we give them. Most people have no clue as to how their mind works or why they think or do things. Mental health is about maintaining a balance of psychopathies, but just because one is balanced, doesn't mean one isn't a psychopath, we are all psychopathic with conscience to manage the balance.

They will never change their mind. What dictators do is dictate not negotiate.

If they were really concerned about this forum they would have gone about it differently looking for ideas. All they needed to do is suspend the offend for 24 hours, offend again and its 3 days, etc...... like they did for years before. Problem solved.

The SZ was self moderating and worked fine for the 8 years I have been here. The claim it spilled over into the other forums is make believe for them to have an excuse.

I wish you were right. But sadly you're not and I feel bad about reporting Ben for spillage. I did so about a day or 2 before the announcement.

I think the poll results were counted by Diebold.

We are all psychopaths by nature, each of us capable of unspeakable cruelty, the Stanford Prison Experiment bore this out with no doubts left, even the professor was surprised at himself in retrospect. The problem stems from us being compartmentalized individuals leading us to the psychopathy of being the center of the universe, and we are born with this notion. That is why we have the notion of God to balance that out. But that balance has been destroyed by religion corrupting our natural notion, thereby skewing our conscience. Therefor we fail to recognize our actions on the cultural level, our norms, as psychopathic and destructive.

Lets just say that the person who spiked the results is self-unaware. Was it intended to be funny, perhaps. Was it unethical, yes.

Lets just say that the person who spiked the results is self-unaware. Was it intended to be funny, perhaps. Was it unethical, yes.

Let's just say that all the polls here are for fun and were never meant to be a scientific sampling...

Wow, we take this place far too seriously. Like it really mattered what the poll results were or that they would change the MC's collective minds.

We should take a cue from R.E.I.

Instead of having big sales on Black Friday, they are closing all their stores and giving all their employees a paid day off. The message: "get the hell outside, enjoy life, and quit doing all this stoopid inside stuff like shopping, playing on the internet, etc."

So, where is everyone flying to this weekend to reflect on the SZ's demise?

Stop. Breathe. You'll be OK.

Just subtract Jesse's 20,000 and you'll still have a majority voting to remove the sp.n zone.

Let's just say that all the polls here are for fun and were never meant to be a scientific sampling...

What people consider fun is the most telling thing about them.

Ah, Republicn voting tactics. Gerrymandering at its best.

The only relation to Republican voting tactics that I can tell is that Jason persumably had to verify his identity by logging in before voting. The converse Democratic voting tactic would be letting every random internet presence and bot vote, so long as they voted the "left" way.

As for 'Gerrymandering', "I do not think that word means what you think it means." -Indigo Montoya

ger·ry·man·der
ˈjerēˌmandər/
verb
gerund or present participle: gerrymandering
  • manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favor one party or class.
  • achieve (a result) by manipulating the boundaries of an electoral constituency.
    "a total freedom to gerrymander the results they want"

Elbridge Gerry, for whom the technique is named, was a Democratic-Republican governor of Massachusetts in 1812.

Pushing back the frontiers of ignorance, one pilot at a time.

oh boy, here we go again...

Stop. Breathe. You'll be OK.

Just subtract Jesse's 20,000 and you'll still have a majority voting to remove the sp.n zone.

I'm fine with the decision. I said long ago, that I like the **** zone and want to see it stay but don't care enough to do anything about it. I respect that others feel that it's more important and I also get that others see a "Teamsters" slant on the situation.

I respect that others feel that it's more important

But WHY is it important to them to have it HERE? It was suggested that the diehard ****zoners set up a parallel site and go beat each other up there. They have done this...it's up and running. Thus PoA ****zoners now have a wonderfully unmoderated place to go when they want to argue politics/religion/racism...and they can do it to their heart's content at this new site.

So I really don't understand why this is not an acceptable solution for the diehards? I don't understand why they feel they have to try to force their playground on everyone else here...and insist that they impose the add'l burden on the (all volunteer) MC.

I really don't get it. They have a perfectly adequate playground to play in. So what's their issue?

Could someone explain why it has to be HERE?

I don't really care about the SZ, but...has anyone explained how an unmoderated sector of POA was taking up an inordinate amount of the moderators time?

This makes no sense to me.

All these messages are a lot funnier if you read them out aloud saying "sh**" instead of "sp**"

:D

But WHY is it important to them to have it HERE? It was suggested that the diehard SH**zoners set up a parallel site and go beat each other up there. They have done this...it's up and running. Thus PoA SH**zoners now have a wonderfully unmoderated place to go when they want to argue politics/religion/racism...and they can do it to their heart's content at this new site.

Couldn't have said it better myself :lol:

I don't really care about the SZ, but...has anyone explained how an unmoderated sector of POA was taking up an inordinate amount of the moderators time?

Yes it has been explained

The spillover from all of your petty fights into the regular POA is what created work for the mods.

Spill over... ;)

The spillover from all of your petty fights into the regular POA is what created work for the mods.
Weird. I haven't been to the SZ in a very long time, and haven't noticed any fights here.

But then, I tend to drop in to POA, post for 20 minutes, and leave -- so it's hard to get too worked up about anything I see here.

Back