Speed limit.

Theboys

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Theboys
Quick question. Was cleared for a Vfr aproach today and controller told me to maintain best speed. Was little concerned about exceeding speed limit. Is it indicated or true?

Indicated. What type aircraft?

§91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).
(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).
(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Quick question. Was cleared for a Vfr aproach today and controller told me to maintain best speed. Was little concerned about exceeding speed limit. Is it indicated or true?
Since buying the Bonanza, the thing we hear most from ATC regarding speed is "Bonanza 523Quebec; slow down!"

Since buying the Bonanza, the thing we hear most from ATC regarding speed is "Bonanza 523Quebec; slow down!"

I get asked to verify model/type... I guess I'm not as fast :(

I've had the opposite problem with tower once asking me "surely you can go faster than that!" :lol:

coming back from Charleston WV (CRW) climbing to 7500, atc tells me to hold at 7k for crossing traffic at 7500, followed by "nevermind, you're 40-50knots faster, continue to 7500" hahah, that was a first!

I was being vectored by ZMP for the ILS into SAW (probably still 30nm out) a couple years back, and was told to slow for the airline traffic in front of me.

No, I can't, and don't call me Shirley.

The tower controller on that particular day was not having a good day so I don't think he would have appreciated that. Besides snapping at me, he was giving everyone a hard time. It was busy. On top of that there was a foreign student trying to make a radio call and it was just impossible to understand. The tower controller kept saying "unreadable" trying to shut him up. And then as I landed the plane behind me had a stuck mic :lol: Have to admit I was laughing so much pulling off that runway I had to wait a few seconds before being able to talk to ground.

Best possible speed,and keep your speed up ,are calls I get all the time. Just once I would like to be told to slow down.

Best possible speed,and keep your speed up ,are calls I get all the time. Just once I would like to be told to slow down.

Pick up those dangly things under the wings. :D

A friend was flying his newly acquired Cardinal from Michigan to New York. He had a good tailwind and was asked to say type of aircraft because he was making over 200 knots.

A friend was flying his newly acquired Cardinal from Michigan to New York. He had a good tailwind and was asked to say type of aircraft because he was making over 200 knots.

In a fixed gear? That is some good tailwinds!

Best I've seen on the level is 215kts ground speed.

Same here, coming into KSAT (San Antonyo Int'l) in the slow-as-fart Cherokee, they asked me for best fwd since there was an airliner on my a**.
Needless to say, I was not mucking around, I was really doing my best fwd down the glidepath, then pulled the throttle back to idle, kept the nose up to bleed off the airspeed, slowly applied all 3 clicks of flaps and set her down on the numbers. About as fast as I typed it. Was a fun training exercise, I must say.

I wouldn't worry too much about speed limits in single engine piston airplanes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't generally see it being an issue.

Guess I was good on several of the points. I was only indicating 190 or so

Ok, we get it, you were going 190 kts or so. :p

Maintain best speed is because they assumed you might be able to get to 120.

I was kind of racing a thunderstorm in. I was flying Vfr pretty high. 17500 and I had started my decent about 100 miles out. I noticed my true coming down was around 275 and ground speed little higher. I called in about 50 miles out and after squawking code he asked me where I was. Normally they want you to call within 20 miles but I figured that I was going to be there in about 5 minutes or so, so he might want to know earlier. I usually start a major slowdown about 10 out and figure he probably knew that as we fly pretty regular and Nebraska doesn't tend to be over populated with pilots. I know controllers voices and they know mine.

I wouldn't worry too much about speed limits in single engine piston airplanes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't generally see it being an issue.

You are right, there are plenty of exceptions, like our local Mustang owner who, when leaving the airport for aerobatic practice often gets a friendly rib/reminder from the tower "and remember the speed limit in the class Delta 200 and then 250 below 10 thousand". :D

You are right, there are plenty of exceptions, like our local Mustang owner who, when leaving the airport for aerobatic practice often gets a friendly rib/reminder from the tower "and remember the speed limit in the class Delta 200 and then 250 below 10 thousand". :D

Good exception (unless you're talking about the Citation Mustang)....

But your point is???

Good exception (unless you're talking about the Citation Mustang)....

But your point is???

How many Cessna Citation Mustangs have you seen practicing aerobatics?

His point was a reminder of speed limits, delivered by ATC so presumably correct. I had forgotten the 200 limit in Class D myself.

How many Cessna Citation Mustangs have you seen practicing aerobatics?

His point was a reminder of speed limits, delivered by ATC so presumably correct. I had forgotten the 200 limit in Class D myself.

Huh??? Aerobatics? Did I miss something in the thread? It wouldn't be the first time, but if you could point it out I would appreciate it.

As to the rest of your post, I don't see how it relates to me??? Again, I may be missing something.

We were headed eastbound coming up on Minot ND. We'd asked for and was approved 11000 MSL on climbout from an IR route in Montana. We listened to ATC issue an IFR departure clearance out of Minot, maintain 10,000 expect higher 5min after departure.

We were still about 30 west when the departure called he was rolling on an east departure. ATC cleared him to climb to flight levels, traffic at 11000 no factor, you'll never catch him. The departing jet started to challenge the clearance when he saw us pass him, he was still on the runway. We were doing about 500.

We were headed eastbound coming up on Minot ND. We'd asked for and was approved 11000 MSL on climbout from an IR route in Montana. We listened to ATC issue an IFR departure clearance out of Minot, maintain 10,000 expect higher 5min after departure.

We were still about 30 west when the departure called he was rolling on an east departure. ATC cleared him to climb to flight levels, traffic at 11000 no factor, you'll never catch him. The departing jet started to challenge the clearance when he saw us pass him, he was still on the runway. We were doing about 500.

What type AC were you flying?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back