Special Ordering a New Car

ainokea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ainokea
Anybody here ever special order a car from the factory? I'm looking to order a Suburban. I've went to a couple dealerships here but they're saying that they can't negotiate the price until the car arrives. From searching online people were able to negotiate before the car was ordered. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you are getting flak from the floor salescritters try talking to the fleet manager.

Also, see if the Costco price is a good one (you'll need a membership). I think most dealers will honor the Costco price even when ordering.

Is there a reason the Suburban you want can't be found already built?

My Jeep Liberty was custom ordered from the fleet manager many years ago. Everything was decided on, including price, at the time of the order. I put $500 deposit, it showed up eventually and I went in and did the paperwork and took it home.

I had one dealership say they can reduce the price with the Costco membership when the car arrives. The other dealership said they don't even know what the price will be when they place the order so they can't negotiate anything (sounds like crap). I'm waiting to see what the other dealership can give me. I'm hoping they can give me at least something under MSRP.

Suburbans are not popular in this little island I live in the Pacific. :) I actually checked some California dealerships and they have some vehicles that are close but for all the trouble of shipping and paying taxes on my own I'd rather get the exact car I want.

My Jeep Liberty was custom ordered from the fleet manager many years ago. Everything was decided on, including price, at the time of the order. I put $500 deposit, it showed up eventually and I went in and did the paperwork and took it home.

How much off did you get? Did you have a hard time getting the price down?

I had one dealership say they can reduce the price with the Costco membership when the car arrives.

When I was shopping for my car I asked for the Costco price and they showed me their binder that said "$500 below invoice". So I put down a deposit, ordered the car and when it came in they showed me the invoice (which I backed up by checking Edmunds.com and kbb.com) and charged me invoice less $500, less my deposit, plus taxes, plus fees and less an additional discount because I took their financing (which I paid off as soon as the dealer got their kickback because that's what I promised them).

I have done it twice with Ford and I had the price settled apron before they ordered it. Doesn't cost the dealership any more to do this and you're basically handing them a sale so I'd walk from any place that wouldn't work with me.

I've only purchased one of my 7 new cars off the lot. The rest were custom ordered.

I suggest going to a new dealer if that's possible for you. (Not sure just how big your particular Pacific island is.)

Also, in addition to Costco, if you are able, you might want to look at NFCU or USAA. My last car (2112 Jeep Wrangler) was ordered through the Military BX, which should have similar prices as NFCU or USAA (and possibly Costco). It was about as painless as you can get when buying a new car.

Never had that problem when custom ordering before.

Does the dealer know if your paying cash or have your own financing or have they run your credit? Sounds like they're scamming waiting on credit check to see if they can keep various rebates if they get you to do factory financing or like one dealer I worked with they wanted me to use a credit union that beat mine and the only possible reason was because that CR must have been tossing them a kickback.

If they won't negotiate price before financing, as a cash price, I walk out. Period. I'll let them do a kickback deal if it works better than my CU for me and let them keep it, but we're coming to terms before they get my credit info.

Still the funniest was the rural dealership who kept asking ME what I thought when it was my WIFE buying the truck.

I kept hinting but he didn't get it so I finally said, "I don't know what you were planning on doing honey, writing him a check for the whole truck, or what?" Then looked at him and said, "Perhaos you'd better ask her." LOL. Idiot assuming I was there to negotiate her deal...

You can most definitely negotiate before it it arrives and before you ordered it. I've had two cars built how i wanted to order and i negotiated the price prior to ordering and it showing up. My father as well always does this with cars as he always wants it exactly how he wants it, but of course the car is spec'd and optioned out the price negotiated and then ordered

You could try searching the manufacturer's website to see if one that meets your specifications is in transit to a dealer nearby. This is what I did recently. They were reluctant to negotiate at first but I told them I wanted to wait for the car I wanted, made an offer, and they accepted it. Otherwise, you could probably still do something similar with a special order.

The Costco price on GM cars is one of a large number of published prices by GM. You can purchase GM vehicles below any of the GM published prices from a competitive dealer. When a the dealer says they can't negotiate the price on an ordered unit, they are not being dishonest. The dealer cost of a new vehicle is established at delivery and GM does prices increases at unannounced times of the year. If you are bottom fishing a price, the ordering process might be frustrating.

Every one of my Audi's have been special ordered from the factory and ALL pricing was negotiated before the order was placed. Not sure why GM does it this way but there is no way I would special order a car, with a deposit, and not know how much I was paying when it arrived.

I ordered a car a while back and negotiated the price before they placed the order. The only thing that we couldn't determine at the time they placed the order was the amount of factory incentive, whatever the incentive was at the time of delivery would be what I'd get. That may be what they are getting at.

I worked in a car dealership many years ago, when we special ordered something we absolutely came to an agreement on price before the order went in, and took a 10 percent nonrefundable deposit. Most special orders were for fairly normal vehicles but some of them were for an odd specification that we really didn't want to have in stock.

Anybody here ever special order a car from the factory? I'm looking to order a Suburban. I've went to a couple dealerships here but they're saying that they can't negotiate the price until the car arrives. From searching online people were able to negotiate before the car was ordered. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)
I did it once. Many years ago. Set the price and put down a deposit. When the car arrived I paid the balance and drove away. I sure as ell wouldn't put down a non refundable deposit on the basis that they'll tell me what the price is later unless some "not to exceed" clause was in there. I'd check out some other dealerships.

How much off did you get? Did you have a hard time getting the price down?
As I recall there wasn't any negotiation, it was $500 over invoice. And based on the internet that was a good deal so I took it.

Did it 3 times, and almost again a couple of months ago:

Toyota Highlander Hybrid: Dealer didn't need a deposit but when the car arrived he charged me $2000 over invoice, because "I have a waiting list over 100 people long - take it or leave it". (It was the year the Hybrids got first released).

Tesla Model S: $5000 deposit at the time. There's no negotiation with Tesla's website over pricing...

Nissan Leaf: No deposit required. After it arrived we went through the usual price haggling that you have to take a shower from afterwards.

Ford F350 DRW: Was in the process of placing a special order - dealer said he didn't need a deposit because "The Platinum Duallys always fly off the lot the day we get them". ("So why don't you order more of them???"). But then I found one at another dealership 60 miles away that had almost everything I wanted, so I just bought that one instead. Don't know if the original dealer even cancelled that special order or just let it go through, since they "fly off" after all.

I did it once. I wanted an extended cab 2WD Dodge with the Cummins engine, and I wanted a green one. The problem though is you don't really have much room for negotiations. I wouldn't do it again.

I have bought 2 of the 4 brand new cars I have bought this way. I prefer custom order as I'm never in a hurry or impulsive. However the 2 I bought off the lot were so close to what I would've ordered that chose to take the discounted price. You can negotiate price on a custom order and you don't have to pay MSRP, but you likely will on a hot new model, or a Tesla as with them it's MSRP all the time, every time.

As was suggested though, before custom ordering, search all the inventories of dealers within say 100 miles, or however far you feel comfortable going for a deal and see what's on the lot. You can do it yourself online these days. You can save a lot of money, get instant gratification and actually reduce buying headaches. One of my purchases I drove 500 miles to save serious money.

The Costco price on GM cars is one of a large number of published prices by GM. You can purchase GM vehicles below any of the GM published prices from a competitive dealer. When a the dealer says they can't negotiate the price on an ordered unit, they are not being dishonest. The dealer cost of a new vehicle is established at delivery and GM does prices increases at unannounced times of the year. If you are bottom fishing a price, the ordering process might be frustrating.

So it sounds like they might not be able to get me a price. I can only ask about what kinda discounts they can give me before they put the order through in writing. When the car arrives they said they can give me whatever discounts Chevy has for the month the car arrives.

Also, need some advice on my trade in. Should I just go with the best offer or should I also discuss my trade in now and consider that part of the offer? I know vehicles depreciate over time so I'm not sure how they can get an accurate trade in value. Unless they say something like we'll give you so and so amount in writing for your trade in once your new car arrives.

So it sounds like they might not be able to get me a price. I can only ask about what kinda discounts they can give me before they put the order through in writing. When the car arrives they said they can give me whatever discounts Chevy has for the month the car arrives.

Also, need some advice on my trade in. Should I just go with the best offer or should I also discuss my trade in now and consider that part of the offer? I know vehicles depreciate over time so I'm not sure how they can get an accurate trade in value. Unless they say something like we'll give you so and so amount in writing for your trade in once your new car arrives.

I don't know where you are located, but I would price a GMC at Laura Buick/GMC online. Yes, their prices are no BS and they do fly and buys everyday. If you are outside their GM region, you will not qualify for a regional discount.

Also, need some advice on my trade in. Should I just go with the best offer or should I also discuss my trade in now and consider that part of the offer?

I'd bring it up now, they may be able to make you an offer contingent on you not putting more than X miles on it before you trade it in. Also do consider private sales if you can swing it as you'll often get more money for it at the risk of more hassle unless the dealer is doing some kind of incentives on trade-in.

I had no issues, price, features... everything was negotiated ahead of time for a Toyota, Subaru, GM, and Dodge.
That was all in the lower 48. No idea if the process is the same if you need to buy from local dealer in the Pacific.
Good luck,

Tim

I've ordered a couple of cars, but did not negotiate a price, but a percentage above invoice (not including any other discounts that may apply at that time.) Dealers don't want to commit to a price that may fluctuate, but if you agree to a percentage above invoice, that gives the dealer comfort for any price increase, and you have a pretty good idea of what you're going to pay.

For an American make, this is likely it. You negotiate a price outside of any factory incentives. You get whatever is available at the time you take delivery. Can be quite a game when incentives can be very variable.

Never bought a new car off the lot. Either custom ordered or went searching across the country for the used model I was looking for. Why across the country? Try finding manual wagons in your back yard.

I ordered a car a while back and negotiated the price before they placed the order. The only thing that we couldn't determine at the time they placed the order was the amount of factory incentive, whatever the incentive was at the time of delivery would be what I'd get. That may be what they are getting at.

For an American make, this is likely it. You negotiate a price outside of any factory incentives. You get whatever is available at the time you take delivery. Can be quite a game when incentives can be very variable.

Never bought a new car off the lot. Either custom ordered or went searching across the country for the used model I was looking for. Why across the country? Try finding manual wagons in your back yard.

If you're looking for a manual transmission in a non-sporty car, the picking are slim, and getting slimmer.

These are what the dealers are offering me.

Dealer 1 (salesman is an @ssh0le)
- No deposit
- No dealer markup fees
- Factory Incentives/Rebates when vehicle arrives.

Dealer 2
- 2K deposit
- No dealer markup fees
- Costco price when vehicle arrives.

Dealer 3
- 1K deposit
- No dealer markup fees
- Price close to dealer 2 using factory incentives/rebates when vehicles arrives.

I'm leaning on dealer 2 because a discount is already given. Who knows if there will be even a discount when the car arrives. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Isn't that convenient for Government Bailout Motors.

I'll be quite happy to take my cash to someone who knows the price of their product, then.

And I've done it. Faxed (yes, faxed) a letter to multiple dealerships who had the exact vehicle we wanted ...(another area certain companies could do better at -- I should be able to see your inventory online, it's 2017... if I want to drive 500 miles to go get the thing TODAY in the options and color I want, I should be able to find it.)

In the letter I stated the exact model, features, and price we were willing to pay after calculating a reasonable price for the vehicle with a reasonable dealer cut.

I had a call in 30 minutes from the fleet manager of ONE of five dealerships. He said he needed $80 more bucks. We drove down to Colorado Springs and signed the next day.

That dealership has since left VW (and the VW was a POS but that's unrelated to the sales experience) and has won the dealer of the year in total sales from Subaru multiple times.

There's a reason. Do business with the winners who understand sales is an effort in making the deal work positively for BOTH parties. If a sales staff is motivated to make a deal only a win for the dealership, they're losers and they've already lost the sale to someone bringing cash or their own financing or a combination of both.

They can save the "what payment would you like to pay" games for somebody else. If I'm buying a new vehicle, I'm buying it NOW. If you can't find it in stock in 500 miles, I'm ordering it. You'd better make that transaction as simple as me making an offer you making ONE counter offer with no "let me get my sales manager" games, or I *will* find someone who will not waste my time.

You're selling me a depreciating asset that will lose 20-30% of its value the second I drive it off the lot. You'd better make that decision real damn easy. I will very happily walk out if the sales games start. No time for it. On a typical car if I buy it new I'm signing up to take a loss in value of over $10,000 maybe $20,000 just by doing business with you. Better make sure I leave happy I threw that much cash literally on the bonfire for your product.

The few dealers that hang out here on PoA seem like they understand this reality. They didn't build a successful business jerking customers around in price. No matter what "corporate" does, I bet if you get a number from them, they keep their word. You just show up with the money.

Without knowing what it is... apologies if I missed it...

Sell it privately. They don't want it anyway unless it's a hot seller in the used market.

Dealer 2
- 2K deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Dealer 3
- 1K deposit
- No dealer markup fees
- Price close to dealer 2 using factory incentives/rebates when vehicles arrives.

Odd. The dealers where I used the Costco price also invoked the current incentives/rebates in addition to the discount. The two were never mutually exclusive.

- No deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Dealer 2
- 2K deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Dealer 3
- 1K deposit
- No dealer markup fees

I'm leaning on dealer 2 because a discount is already given. Who knows if there will be even a discount when the car arrives. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Do you have it in writing from any of them? Ask. See which one knows how to do business.

Have you asked any of them to search national inventory?

Often a vehicle matches your specifications somewhere, unless you're ordering a rare oddball, and most dealers can work out an exact price on it -- including using their shipper to move it if it's too far to simply drive there and buy it.

Shipping cars is CHEAP. Really cheap.

How rare is this vehicle you're ordering? How wide has your search been?

If it's not that rare, a car shipper can typically have it at your doorstep or the dealer's lot in 36-48 hours maximum from nearly anywhere in the United States.

Do you have it in writing from any of them? Ask. See which one knows how to do business.

Have you asked any of them to search national inventory?

Often a vehicle matches your specifications somewhere, unless you're ordering a rare oddball, and most dealers can work out an exact price on it -- including using their shipper to move it if it's too far to simply drive there and buy it.

Shipping cars is CHEAP. Really cheap.

How rare is this vehicle you're ordering? How wide has your search been?

If it's not that rare, a car shipper can typically have it at your doorstep or the dealer's lot in 36-48 hours maximum from nearly anywhere in the United States.

I'll most likely try selling my car on my own first. If I can't I'll just trade it in.

Dealer 2 & 3 I have in writing. I didn't wanna deal with the @ssh0le in dealer 1.

I found some dealerships in CA that had similar to what I want but had extra gadgets that I didn't need or want to pay for. Shipping here is cheap but it takes 1.5 weeks to get to this island in the Pacific.

Over a year ago I ordered a Lexus, the car I wanted was nowhere within 1000 miles so my dealer told me a custom built was the only option. I waited 3 months for the car and negotiated the price the night when I placed the order. The dealer took a symbolic $500 check as a deposit from me though he never cashed it. I was using truecar data as a resource to negotiate the price.

I'll most likely try selling my car on my own first. If I can't I'll just trade it in.

Dealer 2 & 3 I have in writing. I didn't wanna deal with the @ssh0le in dealer 1.

I found some dealerships in CA that had similar to what I want but had extra gadgets that I didn't need or want to pay for. Shipping here is cheap but it takes 1.5 weeks to get to this island in the Pacific.

Oh Lordy. I didn't realize you're on an island. That's a whole different set of first world problems than those of us in CONUS.

But then again, somehow my wife's truck started life in Hawaii and we bought it in Brighton, Colorado. Hell if I know how that really happened.

As best I could tell, it wasn't driven underwater through the ocean to get here and only had a minimal amount of surface rust on the bed bolts and undercarriage that we would never see here in dry Colorado in a million years, so since it's a relatively rare model (last model year of the Lincoln LT in a color she wanted) we bought it. :)

Man... if you're really on an island I'd just stick to whatever's already there. LOL. But then again, it sounds like the dealers are willing to bring the depreciation straight to your wallet for no additional charge... haha.

Was it Saturn that advertised a no haggle price for a new car?

Wasn't it funny how many people thought that was so innovative and thought the best way to buy a car was to go pick one out and pay what the salesman said it cost?

Does Costco service work only with cars on the lot, or does it also work with factory orders?

I recently purchased a new car (almost bought a Ferrari but went with a Hyundai instead). I'm cheap (and a pilot, who would have thought) so I used a few different ways to find the best pricing. I used Costco service, the dealer "internet/fleet sales", and Consumer Reports (which is now just True Car and gives you prices from 3 dealers). The best price was one of the dealers from Consumer Reports/True car. Costco had the highest price. It's free to use the Costco service, but I would still shop other ways and not assume the Costco price is the lowest.

- No deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Dealer 2
- 2K deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Dealer 3
- 1K deposit
- No dealer markup fees

Assuming that Dealer 1 means he'll sell it to you for MSRP minus factory rebates, you should run from him. Same for Dealer 3.

Someone in the thread said that Costco price is $500 under invoice, someone else said it is $500 over invoice. If it's under, that's a decent deal, but you should also get all factory rebates, whether customer or dealer incentives. Yes, a dealer can sell you a car for less than invoice, pass through all the incentives, and still make a profit. Since you're putting down a deposit and special ordering, the dealer will have little risk and no carrying costs. No reason he should make the same profit as selling a car off the lot that he's been paying interest on.

Back