Speak Up, or Walk Away?

Art Rose

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Art
I've always been more of a do-er than a watcher. I don't watch a lot of sports, and I'd rather be flying the plane, not on the ground watching.

That being said, I'd like to ask for your opinion about a situation today where I chose to speak my mind, and then walk away. Before someone misunderstands, it was definitely not the money, it was the principal that set me off. I'd also prefer not to use specific names and places.

For background, I've been flying GA for more than 30 years. I was a late bloomer because of the less critical wants and needs we all face in this journey called life, but because of my experience, I've always been very open and giving to anyone who displays even a hint or desire for anything aviation related. I highly prize the privilege that flight has brought to me, and I willingly share it with anyone, anytime. I've lost count of the number of first flights and joy rides I've given over the years. No need to go on any further with this.

A few years ago a small airport in our area decided to have a small fly in where anybody in the general area was invited to participate in a friendly little STOL competition. I wasn't there for that first gathering, but was told by one of the original participants that it was great. Not very many STOL capable machines, but everybody had a very good time. It was a good old fashioned grass roots fly in, the kind of stuff we used to do.

Anyhow, the next year the word started getting out, and before you knew it some of the bigger money STOL machines from around the country were involved, and eventually things were getting out of hand for the little airport, the fun was gone for the locals, and the so called, practice event, was moved to another airport in the region last year.

Here's the rub, the rest of the story, the part I call greed. This is my opinion. You might think otherwise, or my ducks might not be lined up properly, but I'd still like your opinion.

In the past several years this new venue, (which is a somewhat refurbished old airbase with new city management and an obviously greedy chamber of commerce), seems to have adopted the attitude that any event held at their airport is a potential cash cow. (Not just this event that I'm talking about, it's been a SOP for every event they've held in the past several years.) Pay to park, pay at the gate, pay pay pay. They even require you to pay a higher attendance fee if you fly in your own plane. It promotes a bad image for GA to the general public, as well as the flying community. You would think this little podunk place would realize how good things could be for all of us if they would simply put their hands back in their pockets. Poor management.

All I was interested in today was to watch to see how well a buddy was doing, and to get a feel for how things work. I'm a doer, not a watcher. I have thought for a couple of years that I might set myself up in a machine that I could use to play this game too. It was raining off and on today, so I drove. At least they didn't try to charge me to park, but when I attempted to walk thru the gate they stuck their hand out and demanded money for me to watch for a little while. Honestly, it wasn't the money, it was the principal. I told them to pound sand and walked away. I went over to the FBO to use the restroom before hitting the road, told them I wasn't giving them any money, and I was leaving. I was told that putting on an event like this costs the city thousands of dollars, bla, bla bla. Before we got into a reality check, what it really costs for something like this argument, I left. Recovering a few extra operating costs is one thing but..............

I buy av gas at this airport frequently. I have friends hangared there. Will I buy gas there anymore? Probably not. What happened to being friendly and generous, and promoting aviation good will towards the public? GA continues it's steady decline. Are these greedys helping or hurting? Why are we supporting places like this? Ask me for a donation, no problem. Force me to pay at the gate for something like this event. Kiss my grits. I'll go somewhere else and make my own airshow. Which I plan to do in the morning.

The "spirit" of aviation is not what it used to be. It's a big loss that keeps people from connecting with it.

They have basically tried to turn it into an air show is my take. How’s about a grass roots take over by moving it to another airport?

Talking about the TX STOL Roundup? Lots of organizing effort goes into that event. They offer a product. Pay or don’t. Your choice. If this is your biggest problem in life you’re a lucky guy.

Aviation ain't free. And the days when a person could trip over something and twist an ankle and NOT sue the snot out of the property owner are long gone. Blame whoever you want for that but the reality is what it is.

And yes, sometimes organizations are greedy. If you want to get all hung up on the principal of it, that's your right. But at the end of the day, principal or not, its either worth $X to you to be able to get into the event or it is not. And the older I get, the more I find that I'm happier if I let go of the things I don't like but am powerless to change and just go with the price is either worth it to me or its not. Because no one and I mean no one is ever going to lose a moment of sleep if I get all butt hurt and cease to be their customer over the principal of the thing.

I’m trying to imagine an equivalent non-aviation event like a car show on an unused ramp. Would one be offended by charging an entrance fee.

No.

I’m not feeling the outrage from afar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

People who organize aviation events are doers.

People who participate in the events are doers.

People who willingly pay to watch these events are doers.

And I guess folks who get their panties all twisted up are also doers. I guess. Maybe. I dunno.

I'm guessing it's a function of size.

Years ago I could fly in to the airshow at KDTO, park in the grass, see the show for free, and fly out in the incredibly long conga line after the show. I did this twice in a friend's plane and once in a rented plane.

They don't do that anymore. Now I have to drive, and park in remote parking and take a bus the rest of the way. KADS, similarly, does not allow fly ins for their show.

All these darn people showing up ruined a fun day?!?

Last edited:
Many big events have their roots in small beginnings. Feel lucky you were among those who were around to enjoy those times... there was an annual air show in Sussex NJ, years ago, a 3500’ runway that was touted as “The Biggest Little Airshow in the East.” It was a wonderful experience where you got to see world class aerobatic celebrities as well as local acts. A WWII parade of aircraft, rides and shows, all for a $15 gate fee. And there were still freeloaders who set up perches on a hill across from the airport to watch the show for free. Really?. There were rumors, back in 2013 that the show could return. Don’t know if it ever did.

Back in the little town back east at our tiny airport we had an air and car show for two years, and my husband, who was involved with the county board, headed up organizing it, as an unpaid volunteer of course. Many people volunteered their work for a good cause: There was an admission but all the proceeds went to the local Habitat for Humanity. Lots of fun was had by all and Habitat for Humanity was able to build more homes in that poor mountain community.

While everybody was getting ready for the third of what was becoming an annual event, other charities complained to the county that they were not getting their "fair share" and demanded to be included in the loot. It turned into a big complicated mess and my husband said, "Screw this, I'm out," and not surprisingly nobody else stepped up, so that was the end of the air and car show and the nice contributions to Habitat for Humanity. Even charities get greedy.

You are correct in how you feel and were right to express it. But there is no stopping it; humans inevitably screw up all cooperative endeavors, it is a natural progression, they all become corrupt sooner or later. As to whether you should pay and get over it as the other posters suggest, that all depends on whether you would get enough out of it to make it worth the irritation. For me it would have to be worth a lot, because I'd be very irritated but it's possible.

It depends on the cost. A small fee to cover expenses is one thing. Trying to monetize something most bureaucrats don't even understand, much less had any hand in planning, simply for the purpose of revenue itself, is another.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that many municipal governments have come to believe that raising revenue is their most important function, far ahead of what services they're supposed to be providing with that revenue.

Rich

This reminds me of the story about the shopkeeper who couldn't stop the neighborhood children from playing ball in front of his shop no matter how much he begged them. One day he decided to start paying the kids to actually play ball in front of the shop, this went on for quite a while where he paid them each daily when they came to play ball. One day he decided to stop paying the children, at which point they decided that playing ball for free wasn't worth it, so they left.

I'm guessing it's a function of size.

Years ago I could fly in to the airshow at KDTO, park in the grass, see the show for free, and fly out in the incredibly long conga line after the show. I did this twice in a friend's plane and once in a rented plane.

They don't do that anymore. Now I have to drive, and park in remote parking and take a bus the rest of the way. KADS, similarly, does not allow fly ins for their show.

All these darn people showing up ruined a fun day?!?
Didya notice what event didn't happen this year? Attendance had been in decline over the final 3 years and the no flying in and requirement to park far away had a lot to do with it.

I can see his point. To charge an admission fee is one thing, to get greedy about it is another.

Although the airport events around here are typically organized ‘in house’ they don’t charge an admission, but they do charge if you decide to participate (ie., concessions, airplane rides etc.)

I suppose they now view it as an air show which qualifies for an entry fee. Too bad that it’s gotten out of hand. I guess you either pay the piper or you just don’t attend.

It depends on the cost. A small fee to cover expenses is one thing. Trying to monetize something most bureaucrats don't even understand, much less had any hand in planning, simply for the purpose of revenue itself, is another.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that many municipal governments have come to believe that raising revenue is their most important function, far ahead of what services they're supposed to be providing with that revenue.

Rich

This is the idea I got from OP's post. Not that he's butt hurt he has to pay, but that he detected a push to profit beyond the spirit of the original event, and he is right, the original event was usurped. That may not have been avoidable due to the interest taken by too many others though. It's like when your hometown is named best place to live in the U.S. by some national magazine. No better way to ruin a town.

Maybe his perception that the profit is excessive is right or maybe it's wrong, maybe he's underestimating the expenses. Maybe he could ask for an accounting to find out where this money is going. I would be willing to bet there are parties involved who "volunteered" their paid services for the event. Even so nothing wrong with capitalism at all, but his point is whether turning a fun play day into a money generating machine is the right way to present GA to an often hostile community.

Once it becomes a big enough event, you get expenses like security, porta potties, insurance, and on-site EMS. That's when they have to charge an entrance fee to offset the costs. So you need to pay people to sell tickets, take care of the money, etc. Now, you're looking at even bigger entrance fees to cover the overhead. Of course, now that it is a money making event, the local Pol's want a cut for "airport funding" or whatever, and the costs rise again.

Once it becomes a big enough event, you get expenses like security, porta potties, insurance, and on-site EMS. That's when they have to charge an entrance fee to offset the costs. So you need to pay people to sell tickets, take care of the money, etc. Now, you're looking at even bigger entrance fees to cover the overhead. Of course, now that it is a money making event, the local Pol's want a cut for "airport funding" or whatever, and the costs rise again.

Maybe it's even a good thing. Money to keep GA airports open. Does the general community come and enjoy the event or is it only pilots? Does it leave a positive impression on the community, or does it fuel complaints about airplane noise etc? A study is needed.:D

I hear ya. but you knew they were charging, then got all huffy about it when they tried to charge you. I'm confused.

This is the idea I got from OP's post. Not that he's butt hurt he has to pay, but that he detected a push to profit beyond the spirit of the original event, and he is right, the original event was usurped. That may not have been avoidable due to the interest taken by too many others though. It's like when your hometown is named best place to live in the U.S. by some national magazine. No better way to ruin a town.

Maybe his perception that the profit is excessive is right or maybe it's wrong, maybe he's underestimating the expenses. Maybe he could ask for an accounting to find out where this money is going. I would be willing to bet there are parties involved who "volunteered" their paid services for the event. Even so nothing wrong with capitalism at all, but his point is whether turning a fun play day into a money generating machine is the right way to present GA to an often hostile community.

Rushie gets it.

Thanks Rushie.

If only there were a way to touch the others who apparently have trouble seeing past their own noses........

The public is used to paying for entertainment. I don't see a problem and can't see an event like this changing the public's opinion of GA in a negative way.

If Art wants to organize a for-fun, non-commercial event to bring the public to a GA field, what's stopping him?

Sorry.

When it was free the attendance was X.
Now people pay and the attendance is >X.

Seems that the traffic indicates more interest in aviation since people who are in attendance are plunking down dollars to see it.

Would be much worse to have an unattended free event, right?

And if this airport was a crap show like Santa Monica [<- yah I said it!] The revenue could influence the city to keep it open.

Sorry...but it costs $$ to put on events for the organizers, facility, city and vendors. While it was once a backyard get together, now as an organized event there is a lot more involved to make it happen.

I am involved with a massive non profit charity festival and we are getting nickeled and dimed out of existence do the rising cost of doing business by everyone from the City we are supporting to the for profit vendors like porta potties and shuttle buses even though our sole objective is to give money back to charities.

People look at out multi million dollar budget and all think they either want a pice of the cash cow or that we are wasting money and over charging when in reality it is a struggle to pay the charity organizations that volunteer.

<snip>Would be much worse to have an unattended free event, right?

I fly in those all the time. It’s great! No lines at the outhouse (trees) and the beer is free after the flying. (homebrew) No charge for parking. (Trail through the trees from the house to my tiedown.) No waiting to taxi or takeoff, either! Holy crap, I *LOVE* my life!!!!!

What I get, and what I don’t...

I get being upset because it’s no longer free...

I get refusing to go because it’s no longer free...

I get not buying their fuel because you don’t like their “greedy” nature...
—————————-
I don’t get yelling at some poor gate attendant...

I don’t get coming to a forum looking for support for your position...

I remember when it was held at KAQO and I do not remember being charged. I also remember the fly-ins at KBAZ, the city built a new FBO took over the fly-ins' and moved them over to the new FBO, this caused all kind of problems by moving everything away from the big ramp and over by the new FBO. It turned into a muddy mess and I believe that was the last fly-in at KBAZ.

Not only do I not mind paying an admission for events that I want to go to but I will normally find a way to spend some money while I'm there. This is even more true if there isn't an admission fee. This can take many forms. For instance, if I know there will be food I will wait until I'm there to eat lunch. It's all about making it worth it for the vendors, the host facility, etc. I want aviation events to succeed and being able to pay the bills really does help.

Not only do I not mind paying an admission for events that I want to go to but I will normally find a way to spend some money while I'm there. This is even more true if there isn't an admission fee. This can take many forms. For instance, if I know there will be food I will wait until I'm there to eat lunch. It's all about making it worth it for the vendors, the host facility, etc. I want aviation events to succeed and being able to pay the bills really does help.

I’ll remember that when I have a hangar party.

You have the choice to pay or not,you made your decision,as events grow and become popular,fees start to appear. paying an admission doesn’t necessarily make the event better , but if it isn’t ,it won’t survive.

Back