Speak Up, or Walk Away?

It depends on the cost. A small fee to cover expenses is one thing. Trying to monetize something most bureaucrats don't even understand, much less had any hand in planning, simply for the purpose of revenue itself, is another.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that many municipal governments have come to believe that raising revenue is their most important function, far ahead of what services they're supposed to be providing with that revenue.

Rich

Right you are. And #2 is spending said revenue, usually to such an extent that #2 exceeds #1, leading to more of #1...

I'm guessing it's a function of size.

Years ago I could fly in to the airshow at KDTO, park in the grass, see the show for free, and fly out in the incredibly long conga line after the show. I did this twice in a friend's plane and once in a rented plane.

They don't do that anymore. Now I have to drive, and park in remote parking and take a bus the rest of the way. KADS, similarly, does not allow fly ins for their show.

All these darn people showing up ruined a fun day?!?

Didya notice what event didn't happen this year? Attendance had been in decline over the final 3 years and the no flying in and requirement to park far away had a lot to do with it.

City fire department wanted around $3500 and the police department wanted a little less than that.

The acts were also getting paid.

It cost about $20,000 (city employees on OT, the PD, the FD, and the acts) to put on. The gate attendence was going down to the point that the last year a friend of mine footed the bill. He declined the next year. The show ended.

I get being bummed out that a fun grassroots event became a big thing that's not fun for the locals any more. It sucks but it happens. But once it has become a big event that attracts lots of spectators, it costs a lot more to put on such an event and charging admission fees becomes reasonable.

I'm reminded of a few hard core music fan friends I have. They constantly seek out new and upcoming artists and support them passionately. Until more than 12 people become aware the artist exists and/or the artist has the nerve to actually make money from their music. Then they become sell outs who suck because people enjoy what they do and are willing to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Talking about the TX STOL Roundup? Lots of organizing effort goes into that event. They offer a product. Pay or don’t. Your choice. If this is your biggest problem in life you’re a lucky guy.
Wait, what? They moved the TX STOL Roundup? And they're charging pilots to come spectate and cheer on their fellow pilots? :(
I understand that once an event exceeds certain size, it quickly turns from a friendly competition to a commercial endeavor. Now everybody gets their greed on, city mandates EMS, fire and police to be on site for safety and for a good fee, spectators now get charged including pilots. That will deter plenty, believe it or not. Which will force the organizers to increase the ticket prices for next year, deterring even more spectators and this cycle will continue until the organizer loses money and shuts down.
IMHO, the right answer is sponsors. Something like $20k is hard to raise in ticket sales but is a drop in a bucket for big sponsors. But of course it's not easy to hooke one on and reel him in. :)

I guess the only comparable event I can relate with is the annual CAF show at KRBD. I'm so happy they moved here and put on such an awesome event I would pay double whatever the ticket cost is, which I don't recall.

Back