Southwest mishap

Ran off a taxiway, apparently.

121515-ktrk-sw1-img.jpg

Capt. Benson: You might tell your mechanic that I've got three million miles in the air.
Joe Patroni: And two and a half feet into the ground.

News says it slid 2200 feet.... Possibly on landing due to nose gear failure.

Ha! The link is to "citizenworldnewsreport.com" however, that only redirects you to the story on RT.com. If I'm going to read propaganda about a US domestic air carrier mishap at a US airport, it'll be from US mainstream media, not Russian Times!

If it slid 2,200' it must have been down a steep embankment

here's the news from the Nashville NBC affiliate:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30760320/plane-lands-off-runway-at-bna

FAA statement, according to nydailynews

The Boeing 737 rolled into a grassy ditch around 5:20 p.m. local time near the C concourse at the Nashville International Airport. The plane was taxiing to its gate in Nashville after flying in from Houston Hobby Airport, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman told the News.
"Passengers left the aircraft via stairs and were bussed to the terminal," Kathleen Bergen said in a statement. "The FAA is investigating."

Ha! The link is to "citizenworldnewsreport.com" however, that only redirects you to the story on RT.com. If I'm going to read propaganda about a US domestic air carrier mishap at a US airport, it'll be from US mainstream media, not Russian Times!

If it slid 2,200' it must have been down a steep embankment

here's the news from the Nashville NBC affiliate:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30760320/plane-lands-off-runway-at-bna

That's a weird result of the story. Did the one side slide off and fold the rest of the gear?:dunno:

And the RT link is just a bunch of twitter posts. Pretty sad what passes for news reporting these days. :rolleyes2:

Don't know about the later 737's but on the 300 the flight attendant arms the slide by placing a bar (essentially the airplane end of the chute) into a bracket on the floor so that when the door opens it is deployed. Some OPs require a red band to be placed across the window so that ground crews on the outside know it's armed.

As Art points out there's not a "switch" anywhere. It's purely mechanical.

Last edited:
Don't know about the later 737's but on the 300 the flight attendant arms the slide by placing a bar (essentially the airplane end of the chute) into a bracket on the floor so that when the door opens it is deployed. Some OPs require a red band to be placed across the window so that ground crews on the outside know it's armed.

Yeah, these are not complex pyrotechnic systems. Everyone I've seen has been the 'dumbest' technology that exists. "Attach here, when the door opens the slide will inflate through this mechanical linkage which opens the valve on the CO2 bottle."

Good gawd. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that NoHeat understands that the slides deploy automatically. His point was that SWA is not likely to terminate the pilots for evacuating the airplane....unlike a certain other airline with questionable management....

So that's what that red strap is?! Anyway, that sucks for the airline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the passengers said the landing was unusually rough. I think the indications are some kind of landing gear failure, but there's not enough information to know what.

Airplane is/was a 737-700.

So that's what that red strap is?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Ever hear "arm doors and cross check" or "disarm doors and cross check"

That's what they be doing. Hooking/Unhooking the slide and covering/uncovering the window.

Don't know about the later 737's but on the 300 the flight attendant arms the slide by placing a bar (essentially the airplane end of the chute) into a bracket on the floor so that when the door opens it is deployed.
Just like much of the cockpit, that is a feature of the original 737 design that remains unchanged to this day.

Nashville news is reporting the plane went off taxiway T4 near the terminal. Appears it's a taxi mishap and not a landing mishap.

I wish someone would get the story straight. It kinda sounds to me like they took some damage on the landing and it didn't collapse till the taxi turn? It would help make sense of the picture if the gear on the taxiway collapsed shoving the right gear into the ditch and collapsing the nose gear sideways. Otherwise I'm having trouble figuring out how the plane came to sit belly on its belly. :dunno:

Nashville news is reporting the plane went off taxiway T4 near the terminal. Appears it's a taxi mishap and not a landing mishap.

That's pretty much the way the FAA prelim reads. Says it went off the taxiway while taxiing. No mention of anything about landing.

I wish someone would get the story straight. It kinda sounds to me like they took some damage on the landing and it didn't collapse till the taxi turn? It would help make sense of the picture if the gear on the taxiway collapsed shoving the right gear into the ditch and collapsing the nose gear sideways. Otherwise I'm having trouble figuring out how the plane came to sit belly on its belly. :dunno:

If you have ever seen BNA, there are some pretty sizable ditches around the runways/taxiways. They easily could have gone off the taxiway and the nose gear collapsed as they went into the ditch.

If you have ever seen BNA, there are some pretty sizable ditches around the runways/taxiways. They easily could have gone off the taxiway and the nose gear collapsed as they went into the ditch.

I'm happy it didn't happen at Charleston, WV. You go a few feet off the taxiway going to 23 and it's a good 200' drop into the valley. I've never been more uncomfortable taxiing then at that crazy airport.

I'm happy it didn't happen at Charleston, WV. You go a few feet off the taxiway going to 23 and it's a good 200' drop into the valley. I've never been more uncomfortable taxiing then at that crazy airport.

Guess I'm glad I've only been there at night!

737's used to have a rudder problem that caused a crash or two...now maybe they have a steering problem?

737's used to have a rudder problem that caused a crash or two...now maybe they have a steering problem?

Don't know. This wouldn't be the first SWA 737 that went off a taxiway and got stuck in the mud. It happens.

I could see that as well, but it make's the reporter onboard's story erroneous.:dunno:

I'm surprised they haven't had an eyewitness swear that they saw it on fire yet.

Always thought that part of the taxiway has to be the only taxiway with a curb. Like that would stop you from going over for some 4 wheel taxiing. :yesnod:

Back