Southeast SCBC options, Triple Tree SC00 8/22/2021

Any pics @wayne?

OF the flight, the event?

I didn't think to get any pics of the flight over. I saw your post, so I did get a couple on the way back. It was not as nice a day as was forecasted yesterday. RYY (my home airport) was showing MVFR before I left home and just as I started up they switched to CLR. o_O SPA was pretty much the worst weather around. A couple of guys at the table said they left an airport 12 nm away and it was fine there. As I was getting towards SPA the weather was fluctuating between 400' scattered and 400' broken, but it was also overcast at 1,700' and 4 miles visibility with mist, so.....

I had to hold for a Baron-55 and then traffic behind me had to hold as well; on the ILS 5 at SPA.

There was a pretty good crowd there, pretty much filled all the tablespace. Surprising with the bad weather. Another guy from LZU flew over yesterday. He thinks there was some "wink, wink" on the people getting in VFR this morning.

I ended up winning a hat for going the farthest, beating someone else by just under 3 nm.

Farthest Distance SCBC Cap_m.jpg

There were people in line after me as well.
SCBC line at SPA_m.jpg

Here's on the way home.
Heading Home from SPA_m.jpg

You don't see a pink Velocity everyday, at least I don't.
Pink Velocity_m.jpg

2 weeks from tomorrow, yo. triple tree....the place to be.....for eggs and coffee.....flying there in a mooney.....before you leave don't forget to pee.....hope their grass is gree...............n

Supposedly a fly-in breakfast at Guntersville AL (8A1) August 14th. Weather permitting (i am VFR only), going to try and fly in there with a couple of the kiddos. Neat airport right on the lake.

A fellow pilot mentioned Triple-Tree in Sept, may have to keep it on the screen.

Does a person need much besides a tent & light camping gear? Easy to get food nearby?

A fellow pilot mentioned Triple-Tree in Sept, may have to keep it on the screen.

Does a person need much besides a tent & light camping gear? Easy to get food nearby?

I've never done the camping thing there (shame on me), maybe @Matthew K can chime in. but triple tree is in the middle of nowhere, doesn't look like a whole lot of options. and I don't think it's like osh where they have food vendors there all day/all night.

Yeah… don’t think I can make it…

5DB020E2-F045-4BDD-8F3E-2CA4572CCDFF.jpeg

We have a Commanders(AC-11) get together at Jekyll Island that last weekend in Sep. I see Triple-Tree is almost on the way. The idea is an overnight on the way down to check things out. Just a thought at this point.

We have a Commanders(AC-11) get together at Jekyll Island that last weekend in Sep. I see Triple-Tree is almost on the way. The idea is an overnight on the way down to check things out. Just a thought at this point.

well sheeit, just for one night should be easy.....I think they do a dinner u can purchase and I think they do a 'cook your own steak' kind of thing or something like that. dinner one night and breakfast the next morning 'should' be covered, if that's what you're concerned about.

Supposedly a fly-in breakfast at Guntersville AL (8A1) August 14th. Weather permitting (i am VFR only), going to try and fly in there with a couple of the kiddos. Neat airport right on the lake.

I’ll try calling this am but not seeing any planned breakfast on the website. Looks like a fun airport as mentioned.

I’ll try calling this am but not seeing any planned breakfast on the website. Looks like a fun airport as mentioned.

tta.aero
Aviation Events
SC Breakfast Club

N33372 intends to be there. I love Triple Tree. We are staying the night before in Greenville. Got a great hotel room overlooking the park and we’re gonna try for some brisket at Smoke on the Water.

Last edited:

It was on the Aviation News newspaper that comes to my house. There is a website called www.socialflight.com that now shows the event as being cancelled. Likely due to some bad weather rolling in tomorrow or perhaps due to COVID delta.

Darn, I was going to get a ride from Dave since all the planes are booked.

not required but they have an RSVP thingy if you plan on attending. maybe it'll help them plan better, not that I've ever seen a SCBC run out of food.

RSVP

If I do show up on the 22nd, how do I identify eman ?

:)

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be nicely dried out with a few nice days after Fred passed through.

Have those planning on going read over the Advisory Procedures?

and for those with modern gps, VPWLW VPENO SC00

Are they actual, or close enough?

I found those looking around and figured they were close enough and already had them in my flight plan. I could have easily missed them somewhere in documentation, but they look like the spots on the ground more or less. At least close enough to spot other planes and follow along. ;)

I found those looking around and figured they were close enough and already had them in my flight plan. I could have easily missed them somewhere in documentation, but they look like the spots on the ground more or less. At least close enough to spot other planes and follow along. ;)

their documentation from like 1918 gives the coordinates, you're more than welcome to go compare. that's exactly what I flew last time and no one yelled at me for not being exact enough.

the red line is VPWLW -> VPENO, making the left turn to SC00. the green arrow is from their documentation:

upload_2021-8-21_10-31-49.png

the red dots outline 'something' to reference in each pic:

upload_2021-8-21_10-32-22.png

magenta line, fellas....magenta line.

@eman1200 , I seriously had every intention of showing up and surprising you tomorrow, but then Friday afternoon our weekend schedule started filling up, so now I’ll be flying a Pilatus to Kansas and back instead. Have fun!

@eman1200 , I seriously had every intention of showing up and surprising you tomorrow, but then Friday afternoon our weekend schedule started filling up, so now I’ll be flying a Pilatus to Kansas and back instead. Have fun!

honk the horn as u fly over us!

How early do y'all plan on getting there? Considering the trip up from cvc tomorrow. Any Atlanta guys going?

How early do y'all plan on getting there? Considering the trip up from cvc tomorrow. Any Atlanta guys going?

I'm planning on it, but the weather is looking questionable for a VFR only location.

My plan is to check the weather in the morning.

Wayne

Back