Sons progress....

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
He's signed off for his Checkride this Friday. Don't know who's more nervous. Me or him.

He's signed off for his Checkride this Friday. Don't know who's more nervous. Me or him.

I can relate....plus I was my son's instructor! A double whammy! Best wishes for a successful ride!

I can relate....plus I was my son's instructor! A double whammy! Best wishes for a successful ride!

Son I know you think you're ready, but 40 hours is not enough time to prepare you for a solo. You're almost there ;)

Thats how i'd be, lol.

Son I know you think you're ready, but 40 hours is not enough time to prepare you for a solo. You're almost there ;)

Thats how i'd be, lol.

The day he soloed was more nerve-wracking than any other student I've had in 34 years of instructing....mainly because I knew I had his mother to answer to if I had missed anything!

The day he soloed was more nerve-wracking than any other student I've had in 34 years of instructing....mainly because I knew I had his mother to answer to if I had missed anything!

I wouldn't want to have that conversation.. Bad enough his mother is blaming me for getting him into flying.

I bet, I have a 6yr old (going on 21 years) who's ready to be daddy's co-pilot. But mommy is acting like the FAA and planning to ground me for any little infraction once I get my license.

Wont even let me take him up with the CFI. :dunno::dunno:

Threads like this one make me so thankful I have a spouse with a brain who also uses it.

Good luck to your kid.. This thread may be going in a bad direction with some comments.

Good luck to your kid.. This thread may be going in a bad direction with some comments.

Thank you. He is working hard prepping for the oral portion and flying everyday this week. Hopefully he will pass Friday and will be a new ASEL PP and fly out to KSUS on Sunday to meet me and my instructor (Ill be on an Instrument XC).

Seriously, how did you do it? My mom had the option of being my CFI, but we both decided "no way" when I was 17 and I ended up waiting until I was 21. I've been flying 2 years and still haven't flown with her :redface:

OP: Tell your son good luck. He's prepared. Just have him stay calm and relax.

Congratulations. Keep us posted.
I can't imagine how proud you must be.

I passed my ride on oct 26th and flying with my dad (also a pilot) has been a great part of this journey.

My wife was not 100% on board until I flew her to some nice dinners and I think Fredricksberg was the kicker. It went from "I'm not so sure about this" to her Asking "where can we fly this weekend?"

Any way Congrats!

Thank you. He is working hard prepping for the oral portion and flying everyday this week. Hopefully he will pass Friday and will be a new ASEL PP and fly out to KSUS on Sunday to meet me and my instructor (Ill be on an Instrument XC).

Good luck! It looks like you guys are going to get nailed with another snowstorm tonight. Hopefully that Wx will move out by Friday.

Good luck! It looks like you guys are going to get nailed with another snowstorm tonight. Hopefully that Wx will move out by Friday.

Thanks all. Stan-he goes to Mizzou and flies out of Jeff City. Weather in Jeff City on Friday looks good. Sunday I'm taking a mental health day and flying with my instrument instructor from KPWK-KSTL-KSUS Will have lunch with daughter and son will fly from KJEF to meet us at SUS.

And yes, we got slammed today. Worst damn winter in my life and I grew up on the Canadian prairies.

Cool beans. Where's he taking it? In the Jeff City-Columbia area somewhere? Right now the FAA is forecasting for it to be a tad breezy in that area on Friday but otherwise a nice day. Hopefully the wind forecast will change.

(You answered my question as I was typing it!)

Cool beans. Where's he taking it? In the Jeff City-Columbia area somewhere? Right now the FAA is forecasting for it to be a tad breezy in that area on Friday but otherwise a nice day. Hopefully the wind forecast will change.

(You answered my question as I was typing it!)

Tim - he's taking lessons at Jefferson City Air. They seem to be a good place. Really nice and helpful people. I hear planes are older and a bit worn.

Thanks all. Stan-he goes to Mizzou and flies out of Jeff City. Weather in Jeff City on Friday looks good. Sunday I'm taking a mental health day and flying with my instrument instructor from KPWK-KSTL-KSUS Will have lunch with daughter and son will fly from KJEF to meet us at SUS.

And yes, we got slammed today. Worst damn winter in my life and I grew up on the Canadian prairies.

Ahh COMO. The good old days. I went to mizzou also.

Ahh COMO. The good old days. I went to mizzou also.

Columbia's a good town (for Missouri anyway) and it may very well be our next mailing address. Not Columbia proper but within 30 miles or so.

Tim - he's taking lessons at Jefferson City Air. They seem to be a good place. Really nice and helpful people. I hear planes are older and a bit worn.

Yeah, I recall the thread(s) regarding where he was going to train, I just didn't know if there was a DPE immediately handy though. I trained in Harrison AR but had to travel to Joplin MO for my checkride. One never knows in these "fly over states".

Wishing him the best! I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Last edited:
Where did you live? What college were you in? I love that town.

I went to mizzou. University of Missouri.

Lived in South Hall right after they were completed then moved to CampusView lol.

Played on the football team. 06'&07'

I went to mizzou. University of Missouri.

Lived in South Hall right after they were completed then moved to CampusView lol.

Played on the football team. 06'&07'

He started going there in 2011. He lived in a redone dorm (Gilette) on east side of campus. He is in a fraternity now. It's a great campus.

I wonder if he'll get the same DPE I had for my private and IR. He was based at VER in Boonville (and also ran the FBO/flight school) so I was used to him when it came time for my checkride. But he may have retired.

edit: according to this page, he's still active. But there's also a DPE in Holt's Scummit, which is pretty close to JEF.

Last edited:
Best of luck to him!! Tell him, no pressure, but we're all counting on him!!:D

I wonder if he'll get the same DPE I had for my private and IR. He was based at VER in Boonville (and also ran the FBO/flight school) so I was used to him when it came time for my checkride. But he may have retired.

edit: according to this page, he's still active. But there's also a DPE in Holt's Scummit, which is pretty close to JEF.

The guys first name is Mike.

My son called me frantic last night. The flight school has a QC function, so the chief pilot went over my son's records and took him on a checkride. While he has all of his night hours, he does not have his night XC. Guess what he is doing tonight? Not pleased....

At least they caught it. Would've been a lot more expensive had the DPE been the one to discover it.

Night dual XC I presume? I don't recall a solo night XC for my private.

Yes dual night XC. Why they didn't do that as part of his night training is beyond me. I knew I should have continued to question what he was doing. But I didn't want to be accused of being a helicopter parent.....

I didn't want to be accused of being a helicopter parent.....

But you know you are, it's a generational thing after all! :goofy:

Seriously, let him know it's no big deal. It was caught...that was the QC guys job...and he gets to fly tonight. I don't see the downside!

Any cramming he would have done for his oral tonight would be wasted effort anyway. He's well prepared I'm sure...

...well except for that nit picky night cross country! :)

You're right....it was caught. By since I'm paying the freight not pleased it wasn't handled in a more efficient manner. Probably paid $3,000 more in training than I had to.

I like doing 8 or so of the required night to/landings in one lesson, with a little local flight. Then knock out the xc and remaining night hours on the next flight. This time of year isn't bad, but I did my night in July, we weren't even preflighting until after 9pm

You're right....it was caught. By since I'm paying the freight not pleased it wasn't handled in a more efficient manner. Probably paid $3,000 more in training than I had to.

Whoooaaaaa...

That's far more than I paid for training in total.

But then I owned my airplane and didn't keep track of those costs. :skeptical:
:eek:

I'm glad they caught the lack of the nigh XC before the DPE did. I remember doing all the night stuff in one 3 hour lesson "back in the day".

Make sure he sees Ron's check ride advice that is stickied on this forum. It is excellent advice.

Where did the 3k number come from? The night xc is only 50nm land and back?

Where did the 3k number come from? The night xc is only 50nm land and back?

His training plan didn't go right. Started on 172s but when he went back to school, no good flight schools with 172. That and some other garbage that happened. Basically switched between 4 instructors, 3 flight schools, inefficient plans etc.

Awww well at least they caught it. I did all my night hours in one go which was nice since it was such a pain in the butt to get out there and my CFI knew. Wow, I thought my experience was rough with 3 CFIs and 2 schools, but I like to think a rough primary training makes you a better pilot because you know what you want to get out of the lessons at the end. That's me trying to stay positive. I hope to hear good news tomorrow

I think it's 100 nm straight line if I recall.

I think you're saying the same thing as the FAR.

FAR 61.109 said:
(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

Back