son going in for adhd evaluation; wants to be a pilot

That's debatable at that age. Maybe inappropriate, but par for the course at that age.

True, some people have no tolerance for juvenile antics and want adult behavior which is unrealistic, hell, even many adults behave like spoiled kids.

Whereas other parents think their snowflake can do no wrong an expect everyone else to put up with BS so they can be friends with their own children.

I reread the OPs original post and you are right, it really doesn't sound that bad, maybe some discipline, maybe a parenting class or two. I would definitely try that before drugs.

OP here again.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I have more regarding his behaviors that I will add when I have more time.

General message here is more (outdoor) exertion. Like I mentioned, he plays hockey, but he is a goalie, and often does not get into that physically exhausted point that his teammates exhibit. I will cancel his appointment and work on developing strategies to counter the tantrum tendencies.

Thanks again (regular poster here too)

There may be some value to an exam, but make sure the doc understands that under no circumstances are there are no notes, codes, or anything else that indicates a diagnosis of anything that has FAA consequences. Some kind of family counseling, for example, but I don't know if that's reportable on YOUR medical, though.

One outdoor exercise idea.... if you're in the snow states, have him start his own driveway and sidewalk clearing business.

Burn some energy, Earn some money.

but I don't know if that's reportable on YOUR medical, though.

That would be nearly par for today's course..... active pilot parent takes his child in for ADD evaluation, which turns out to be positive, and the pilot now becomes suspected of same affliction.

That would be nearly par for today's course..... active pilot parent takes his child in for ADD evaluation, which turns out to be positive, and the pilot now becomes suspected of same affliction.

75% of ADHD is indeed hereditary. Most adult cases are diagnosed because of the kids.

And I'm not talking about the 700% over diagnosis in the U.S. but rather the real cases.

I think a simple sit down when things are calm will help, tell him he's becoming a grown up so he needs to act like a grown up, detail the bad behavior for him so he knows what you are talking about. Do it calmly and tell him you want him to stay calm while talking about it. Also ask him what the problem is, there may be things you can do to help him through this. Also, I'd tell him "mild aggression" toward his mom is liable to get him punched out by his dad, it won't be tolerated, then don't tolerate it. That doesn't mean punch him out, but make him go away from mom if it happens and be firm, don't back down, he needs to know you are serious. Lastly tell him pilots need to be responsible, can't have behavior problems and need good grades.

It sounds like you may have been trying to keep the peace with him, he needs to understand that he needs to keep the peace with you, your house, your rules.

That's how I would handle it, and it won't cure overnight but once he figures out you mean business it should get better over the course of a few weeks if you are consistent.

Shorter version of PaulS's info (which I agree with)

Two words.... PACK LEADER

The alpha male of the pack would not permit such behavior and would make sure the subordinate conforms to their place in hierarchy.

OP here again.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I have more regarding his behaviors that I will add when I have more time.

General message here is more (outdoor) exertion. Like I mentioned, he plays hockey, but he is a goalie, and often does not get into that physically exhausted point that his teammates exhibit. I will cancel his appointment and work on developing strategies to counter the tantrum tendencies.

Thanks again (regular poster here too)

Good stuff

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction :yes:

If there is any way to help your son while still avoiding the following, please make the attempt:

No diagnosis of ADHD or similar
No drugs regardless of diagnosis.

This will help him in many ways, not the least of which is his future ability to fly.

Having said this, his physical and mental well being must be the first consideration.

He continued, telling us that in the public schools, diagnoses are often sought because the schools get additional state funding for each such student, and further, get to exclude their results from standardized testing; hence, the school has more money and can warehouse the kid, consigned thereafter to the short bus of diminished expectations.

Bastards should get a reserved room in Hell for that.

Is it documented somewhere that ADHD is a nogo with the FAA? If so where? I'd love to read it. My childhood buddy has ADHD and is also a pilot. Ive known him since we were young (3rd grade) & he took ridalin (spelling?) and all that stuff as far back as I can remember. Now he fly's for an outfit out in TX and has never had issue as far as I know with a medical. He very obviously still is affected by it (fidgety, can't sit still, talks a lot) but he is one of the best pilots i've ever flown with.

Is it documented somewhere that ADHD is a nogo with the FAA? If so where? I'd love to read it. My childhood buddy has ADHD and is also a pilot. Ive known him since we were young (3rd grade) & he took ridalin (spelling?) and all that stuff as far back as I can remember. Now he fly's for an outfit out in TX and has never had issue as far as I know with a medical. He very obviously still is affected by it (fidgety, can't sit still, talks a lot) but he is one of the best pilots i've ever flown with.

He must have lied on his medical.
If/when he is found out, he will lose not only his medical, but also his pilot certificate(s).

He either did this and passed, or he lied.

As a flight school owner, you should be more aware, and give good advice. it's a fair assumption that you are a CFI, so perhaps you should refresh your acquaintance with 67.113, 67.213, and 67.313, as to the "current policy of the Federal Air Surgeon, which has been unchanged since 1999.

:)

Attachments

• Specs for NP Evals-ADD & ADHD-2013-01.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 174
Don't let your kid get diagnosed with ADHD. Chances are, it's not a legitimate diagnosis anyway.

You could always have the frank discussion with him. "You want to be a pilot, you need to control your behavior. Otherwise, you won't be able to." Explain it more, but at 13, he should understand.

Teenagers are a pain, mostly because being a teenager sucks. I hated being 13, worst year of my life. Well, almost, 22 was also really bad. No amount of money would be enough for me to relive those years. But really, I wouldn't take my kids in for an ADHD evaluation/diagnosis unless I sat down with the DSM myself and actually was able to objectively see some issues. And if the school tried to push the diagnosis, our kids would be transferred out immediately.

Sounds like a teenage boy :rolleyes2:

Boy, you're going to be making a uphill fight for the kid.

How about man up and be a parent, get him in some more or more intensive sports, exercise some discipline into his life, don't cop out and buy some "parenting in a bottle".

Remove the "screens" and get him into a sailplane club like others said, have him spend more time outside of the house being active.

If you can't handle being a parent or don't have the time or inclination, perhaps instead of using tranquilizer on the boy, you should find a better home for him.

Sorry, but this kind of crap really gets to me.

I disrespect your comments at all levels.

Last edited:
Problem I see is the pussification of America, a general lack of parental abilities that has become reliant on technological babysitters and a system that is designed to shackle and institutionalize your from the very get go.

There will NEVER be video games in my house. Only cartoons we will watch is on PBS and when it's obvious there are energy issues, go outside and either work on something, ride bikes or some other task that exerts work.

When they get mouthy or test you, drop them drawers and learn some boundaries.

You only have to look at just about any teenagers snapchat to realize a bulk of youth have been coddled into entitlement, lack of discipline and zero respect for authority.

Kids are not the problem. Parents are the problem.

He doesn't feel strongly. He disrespects them strongly. Still trying to come from within on that one myself. :idea:

Seems that type of over sensitivity is one of the reasons kids are ending up on a small suitcase of drugs and running amok.

Seems that type of over sensitivity is one of the reasons kids are ending up on a small suitcase of drugs and running amok.

I'm going to not disagree with you strongly on that.

He must have lied on his medical.
If/when he is found out, he will lose not only his medical, but also his pilot certificate(s).

You would swear by listening to what the FAA says about ADD he wouldn't be able to get the plane off the ground and land it safely ever.

The FAA should really reevaluate their stance on ADD.

It would seem that the ultimate test to see if you could handle the cockpit workload would be when you take your check ride.

I mean, if your add was affecting your ability to fly that much, wouldn't it show up on your check ride?

Last edited:
He either did this and passed, or he lied.

As a flight school owner, you should be more aware, and give good advice. it's a fair assumption that you are a CFI, so perhaps you should refresh your acquaintance with 67.113, 67.213, and 67.313, as to the "current policy of the Federal Air Surgeon, which has been unchanged since 1999.

:)

Well you know what they say about assumptions :D

I'm not a CFI nor do I want to be (I'm not one for having people try to kill me on a daily basis.) I've got a Chief CFI and an Asst Chief CFI and an Aviation Atty. on staff to take care of knowing the regs up and down and keeping my business good and safe. They are very good at what they do. I'm in no place to give anyone advice in aviation. I'm not a DME, nor do I want to be. My buddy has been a pilot much longer than I and has many many more ratings than I. Safe to say I'll never be giving advice unless its business related.

My buddy is an awesome pilot. In fact he is probably reading this. I'm sure everything will continue to work out for him as is has for the past decade.

I'm just a pilot. I fly for fun. Nice and simple.

You would swear by listening to what the FAA says about ADD he wouldn't be able to get the plane off the ground and land it safely ever.

It would seem that the ultimate test to see if you could handle the cockpit workload would be when you take your check ride.

I mean, if your add was affecting your ability to fly that much, wouldn't it show up on your check ride?

Totally true, my buddy is a captain now & prior military aviation. I won't say more than that since he is on the board. IF ADHD is such a big deal he should have been stopped at the ASVAB before he joined up. This is along the lines of the sleep apnea BS. Get's me fired up.

To the OP stay safe don't get a diagnosis. If you are local to So Cal give me a PM, I'll set your kid to get some free flight time to see if that helps him straighten up a little bit if he has not already been introduced to aviation.
Ya Dig? :yes:
-T

The FAA should re-evaluate their stance on a lot of things.

I once had a client who was a very recently-retired Air Force fighter pilot, but who was unable to get a third-class FAA medical when he retired. He was in the process of jumping through the FAA's hoops when the 9/11 attacks happened and he reactivated. He passed his Air Force flight physical with "flying colors," as it were, and was returned to full duty. The Air Force clearly didn't share the FAA's concerns about his fitness.

Rich

The FAA should re-evaluate their stance on a lot of things.

I once had a client who was a very recently-retired Air Force fighter pilot, but who was unable to get a third-class FAA medical when he retired. He was in the process of jumping through the FAA's hoops when the 9/11 attacks happened and he reactivated. He passed his Air Force flight physical with "flying colors," as it were, and was returned to full duty. The Air Force clearly didn't share the FAA's concerns about his fitness.

Rich

Funny how that happens.

I really can't wrap my head around how ADD is automatic denial, especially since it was once approved and ok to fly while on Ritalin in the past.

Is there a board that makes this determination at the FAA or is it one person? I just can't believe that the FAA doesn't see ADD as having a spectrum to it.

Ask any doctor/psych that treats ADD and they will say that the #1 REAL reason to treat is to help with learning material that is uninteresting. I'd imagine flying a plane would be interesting and not crashing would be another good reason to make sure you pay attention.

Windmills.jpg

it's a "spectrum" disorder.

When you do the neurocog, you can score a crappy at 15th percentile (age matched) in some areas, and as badly as 5th percentile in others..

The SI of a 5-15%-er is exactly what you say- "if you could handle the cockpit workload" you eventually get relieved of the SI.

Some ADD-ers can't get the airplane off the ground. REALLY.

OP checking in again. thanks for the comments, I am continuing to monitor this thread and work with my son regarding his behaviors and goals.

Thanks

it's a "spectrum" disorder.

When you do the neurocog, you can score a crappy at 15th percentile (age matched) in some areas, and as badly as 5th percentile in others..

The SI of a 5-15%-er is exactly what you say- "if you could handle the cockpit workload" you eventually get relieved of the SI.

Some ADD-ers can't get the airplane off the ground. REALLY.

I believe that 100%.

I guess I don't understand why they just automatically deny your medical based on having ADD.

I assume they are worried you take Adderall and fly?:confused:

I believe that 100%.

I guess I don't understand why they just automatically deny your medical based on having ADD.

I assume they are worried you take Adderall and fly?:confused:

They're also worried that you won't take the Adderall, and then fly.

If a person really does have severe ADD but is properly medicated, flying while on their meds would mainly just be illegal. Flying without their meds, on the other hand, would be downright dangerous.

Rich

You know, everyone is screaming "don't get your kid diagnosed!!! He'll never fly!!"

But what if he really needs the attention of professionals? Don't sell your child short. Aviation is secondary.

They're also worried that you won't take the Adderall, and then fly.

If a person really does have severe ADD but is properly medicated, flying while on their meds would mainly just be illegal. Flying without their meds, on the other hand, would be downright dangerous.

Rich

you hit the nail on the head with that word.

ADD should be treated the same way they treat cardiovascular issues.

You know, everyone is screaming "don't get your kid diagnosed!!! He'll never fly!!"

But what if he really needs the attention of professionals? Don't sell your child short. Aviation is secondary.

true, maybe that kid can work for the govt and then get appointed to the FAA and straighten all of this out.

Midcap, what is your dog in this hunt anyhow? Pot stirring or something real?

The low post count and the tone/content of your contributions has me wondering about beings that live under bridges and are confounded by gruff horned animals named William.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back