Somebody became Intrument Rated today

Hey, congratulations ! I still remember my Instrument ride from 1987 - going into it no way I thought I was gonna pass but somehow I managed to pull thru.

Welcome to the league of temporary airmen.

Congratulations! My instrument checkride wasn't my most challenging (that was CFI initial), but I think it was the one I felt the most accomplished after finishing.

Congrats. Like I tell everyone here, you are now signed off for the real checkride. The first time you go into the soup all by your lonesome. I promise you'll never forget that flight.

Again, congratulations.

Nice job, congratulations

Huge congratulations to you!!! IMO the hardest checkride and the hardest material... with the most left to learn after the rating. Yes, more than the initial CFI. Enjoy it, you worked hard for it. Now go use it and don't let yourself get rusty.

Thanks everyone, it was tough indeed. Yeah I can't wait for that solo soup trip. The examiner said it will be an experience! This rating has made me a better and more precise pilot for sure. Can't wait to use it.

Congrats!

Enjoy that first trip in IMC. It's a learning experience every time you're in the clouds. :yesnod:

Good on ya
Make the first few trips solo and only to get out or back in through a layer. Once the jitters are over you can start flying passengers.

Congrats. Like I tell everyone here, you are now signed off for the real checkride. The first time you go into the soup all by your lonesome. I promise you'll never forget that flight.

Again, congratulations.

Thanks everyone, it was tough indeed. Yeah I can't wait for that solo soup trip. The examiner said it will be an experience! This rating has made me a better and more precise pilot for sure. Can't wait to use it.

I agree. It was a while before weather conditions made it necessary, but it was a special flight. Came over the Cascades in the clear, but the west side was a solid cloud deck below us. Center had us start our descent and we were in the clouds at about 7000 MSL. Bases were at 3000, so it was a good introduction with little stress (for me, my wife wasn't so "relaxed" about it). VFR traffic below the clouds was getting FF. While cruising at 4000 SEA approach called out the traffic for me. "I'm IMC." He then called me out to the VFR traffic. He couldn't see us, either. My wife was concerned, but I pointed out that there was over a 1000 foot altitude difference and there wasn't a problem.

Yes, you will remember that first time in the clag without a CFII in the right seat. Best if you remember it fondly. :D

Congratulations. That is a tough ride.

CONGRATS!!!! Now go practice some approaches. NEVER STOP PRACTICING!!!! 6 months is to long to wait.

Fantastic, congratulations!

I'll echo the 'practice' sentiment, but I'd alter it slightly and say that you should practice by filing, picking up real clearances and doing actual trips with it. Don't just stay home and shoot approaches in good weather. That's a great way to spend a lot of money and not get a lot of bang for your buck. Make it a point to file everywhere you go for a while, even if it's clear and a million. Stay in the system and you won't be afraid to be in the system.

Yes, Congrats!

Congratulations on getting the rating. Given where you are, you might not even have to wait too long for that first solo trip in IMC.

Although, truth be told my checkride was in the winter up here in frozen Michigan, and I managed to get my ticket wet only a week later during a thaw. There's just no way of knowing when that first opportunity will come up.

Thanks again everyone! Going to destin next week so I won't be able to get my ticket wet until after. But once I come back the next overcast day if all looks good I'm going for it. A good high overcast day that is.

Thanks again everyone! Going to destin next week so I won't be able to get my ticket wet until after. But once I come back the next overcast day if all looks good I'm going for it. A good high overcast day that is.

Are you going to solo it or take someone up?

Are you going to solo it or take someone up?

Good question, I'm not sure. My instructor recommend he come along. I've only got 6.5 hours actual during training. And I'm sure it never hurts to have another person in the know in that right seat. We will see.

Good question, I'm not sure. My instructor recommend he come along. I've only got 6.5 hours actual during training. And I'm sure it never hurts to have another person in the know in that right seat. We will see.

I'm a fan of going solo in non-convective IMC with 1000-2000ft ceilings. Ease into it, realize how much fun it is, then just keep doing it as much as you can (even if it's clear and a million).

I have 2 hours actual total. If you want someone in the right seat grab another IR pilot, but let yourself spread your IMC wings in benign conditions without a CFI. Not talking 200 and 1/2, but 1000 overcast or something like that.

I have 2 hours actual total. If you want someone in the right seat grab another IR pilot, but let yourself spread your IMC wings in benign conditions without a CFI. Not talking 200 and 1/2, but 1000 overcast or something like that.
how come you have so little actual time? just curious, if i offend you i'm sorry.

how come you have so little actual time? just curious, if i offend you i'm sorry.
About the same I had. My home airport didn't have an approach so we pretty much only went when it was VMC at home.

Because I live in Arizona, 350 days of sunshine. I got 1.5 of those hours in training flying xcs with my CFII friend for fun. Otherwise it's been .1 here, .1 there. :(

Because I live in Arizona, 350 days of sunshine. I got 1.5 of those hours in training flying xcs with my CFII friend for fun. Otherwise it's been .1 here, .1 there. :(
true. you either have sunshine or monsoons/thunderstorms

I got lucky. I went to Texas for my ir training. The weather was great, then day 3 it turned to trash and stayed that way. We kept on flying which was great experience. I recall my first flight in to the clouds I was a nervous wreck. And I mean a nervous wreck. I pulled through and had a good time. My final stage check was in the clouds so I could tell I was a lot more confident.

Back