Some Airbus symbols....

TheBusFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheBusFlyer
Good morning,

"Continue (Climb/Descent) symbol
The start of climb or continue descent shows the point on the flight plan where the aircraft is predicted to leave the current flight level."

startofclimb.jpg

When does this symbol appear? When is it blue and when is it white?
What do they mean the current flight level? It appears every time we level-off? Even at ALT CST?

Other symbols coming.... :goofy:

Thanks!

Good morning,

"Continue (Climb/Descent) symbol
The start of climb or continue descent shows the point on the flight plan where the aircraft is predicted to leave the current flight level."

startofclimb.jpg

When does this symbol appear? When is it blue and when is it white?
What do they mean the current flight level? It appears every time we level-off? Even at ALT CST?

Other symbols coming.... :goofy:

Thanks!

All of this information is readily available online.

I am searching for it...but it's always the same thing....Searched in the F-COM, same thing:

"The start of climb or continue descent shows the point on the flight plan where the aircraft is predicted to leave the current flight level"

But I would like to know when it appears....what do they mean by level-off? ALT CST?

Please explain....

I am searching for it...but it's always the same thing....Searched in the F-COM, same thing:

"The start of climb or continue descent shows the point on the flight plan where the aircraft is predicted to leave the current flight level"

But I would like to know when it appears....what do they mean by level-off? ALT CST?

Please explain....

All of that information is readily available online. Do some research. Or go over to the flight simmers forum and ask. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the precessions....

Anyone can help? Still searching...

Ok, I am still a student! I am not a pilot....

Thanks to help!

And OP, do not think you are being mocked here; developing the skills to research your subject is an important part of learning. Good questions can often lead to good discussions, and you find some pretty knowledgeable folks here.

---

So, why must the A320 be so harsh in its assessment of pilots when they land?

Thanks, but I am coming from there. That's where I found the photo.

So when does that happen? A point in our F-PLN where we start climbing.
The only possibility I can see are these:

- Level-off at ALT CST during Climb
- computed FMGS F-PLN has a level-off during climb.

Anything else?

Thanks

I'm interested in the answer. I have to compute all this in my head.

Thanks, but I am coming from there. That's where I found the photo.

So when does that happen? A point in our F-PLN where we start climbing.
The only possibility I can see are these:

- Level-off at ALT CST during Climb
- computed FMGS F-PLN has a level-off during climb.

Anything else?

Thanks

ALT CST is "Altitude Constraint" as seen on the FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator) on the PFD (Pilots Flight Display) and also gets it's information from the FMS flight plan and is computed via the FMGS (Flight Management Guidance System)

If using the "managed" part of the FMGS (the airplane is managing the flight) and a constraint is put in the FMS either by the pilot of by the database, then on the ND (Navigation Display) on the flight path it will show the up or down arrows where the FMGS predicts the climb or descent to start. Blue (cyan) is displayed when the Climb (CLB) is armed (managed) or white when the system is "selected" (non managed).

Please don't come back with another "Thanks, but..." reply :rolleyes2:

Please don't come back with another "Thanks, but..." reply :rolleyes2:

I don't mind answering a question, but I need to know what his level is to try to explain it. Trying to teach Airbus systems via a web forum is a bit like trying to teach sex with a handbook.

For the OP, are you engaging in a sim game of some sort?

[

---

So, why must the A320 be so harsh in its assessment of pilots when they land?[/QUOTE]

The first "RayT'arrd" is the instruction, the second is the insult.

Last edited:
Thanks R&W! :)

Ok, so you also have the level-off symbol.

It shows us where we will reach FCU ALT.
It is cyan when we will reach FCU ALT.
It is magenta when we will have to level-off at an ALT CST in managed mode.

So can we have a level-off magenta symbol and a blue/white start of climb symbol on the same WPT?

Is the level-off arrow also white when we do an OP CLB/DES or a V/S?

Thanks a lot,
TheBusFlyer (just took the name - I am not flying Airbus! ^^)

ALT CST is "Altitude Constraint" as seen on the FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator) on the PFD (Pilots Flight Display) and also gets it's information from the FMS flight plan and is computed via the FMGS (Flight Management Guidance System)

If using the "managed" part of the FMGS (the airplane is managing the flight) and a constraint is put in the FMS either by the pilot of by the database, then on the ND (Navigation Display) on the flight path it will show the up or down arrows where the FMGS predicts the climb or descent to start. Blue (cyan) is displayed when the Climb (CLB) is armed (managed) or white when the system is "selected" (non managed).

So what is the purpose? To tell the pilot that what is happening is intended?

I don't mind answering a question, but I need to know what his level is to try to explain it. Trying to teach Airbus systems via a web forum is a bit like trying to teach sex with a handbook.

:rofl:

This brings up an interesting question with regards to the long term value of sims to the high school/college age student who is going to be be an airline pilot no matter what.

Considering the systems sophistication of some of the good programs, and the volume of information there is to learn about systems on say an A-320, do you think that a kid using these sims over 6 years to learn systems on the entry level airliners could have a benefit?:dunno: I don't mean in getting hired (although the interview?:dunno:), but in actually getting through training and carrying over onto the line with functional knowledge.

...Considering the systems sophistication of some of the good programs, and the volume of information there is to learn about systems on say an A-320, do you think that a kid using these sims over 6 years to learn systems on the entry level airliners could have a benefit?:dunno:

With nothing to back this opinion up I think that if the information the person is getting is at least semi-accurate and the person is motivated to learn then certainly it would be beneficial.

With nothing to back this opinion up I think that if the information the person is getting is at least semi-accurate and the person is motivated to learn then certainly it would be beneficial.

I kinda suspected it considering the depth to which you can go learning it all. As R&W points out in accidents, it's a lot to learn, and some companies are failing to teach it all in the limited training time.

Thanks a lot!

Now, can the Intercept point symbol be magenta? When is it magenta?
It shows us if we have V/DEV. It is cyan when descent is engaged and white when only NAV is engaged. Can it be magenta?

Thanks a lot,
TBF

The Airbus has a very steep learning curve, and it's like trying to take a sip from a fire hydrant in learning.

I went in as a DEC (Direct Entry Captain) on the -320, and it was quite a task learning the plane without the benefit of having any right seat time. I would say it takes at least 100 to 200 hours on type to get very comfortable with flying it.

Now, can the Intercept point symbol be magenta? When is it magenta?

No.

It shows us if we have V/DEV. It is cyan when descent is engaged and white when only NAV is engaged. Can it be magenta?

Thanks a lot,
TBF

V/DEV (now called "Linear Deviation) is usually green. Depending on the software version it could also be red.

Thanks a lot R&W!

Did you receive my PM?

Ok...so the Engine Out SID is displayed in green when active and in yellow when not active.
You enter the EO SID in F-PLN departure page in the FMGS.
So how does it come basically on the FMGS?

You first select your runway and the SID. Then only you can select your EO SID? With Line selector key (LSK) left?

Thanks

Thanks a lot R&W!

Did you receive my PM?

Ok...so the Engine Out SID is displayed in green when active and in yellow when not active.
You enter the EO SID in F-PLN departure page in the FMGS.
So how does it come basically on the FMGS?

I put the EO SID in the FMS secondary. All information is inputted via the FMS (or MCDU in airbus talk)

You first select your runway and the SID. Then only you can select your EO SID? With Line selector key (LSK) left?

Thanks

Yes. Place it in the secondary. Put your flight planned departure in the primary.

Thanks,

So in the right order:

- Select LSK L1 Departure ARPT
- Select DEPARTURE
- Select RWY
- SELECT SID
- SELECT EO SID with LSK Left
- Select TRANS

Everything right?

I don't have a sim....have to buy one!

What do you mean by secondary? Secondary F-PLN???

Thanks

You enter EOSID in the secondary F-PLN?
But when do you use the secondary F-PLN? Why not the primary F-PLN?

Thanks

You enter EOSID in the secondary F-PLN?
But when do you use the secondary F-PLN? Why not the primary F-PLN?

Thanks

Primary holds your active flt pln. If I lose an engine, I ask the FO to "activate the secondary" then fly the EO departure.

Chances of an engine failure are very slim, and you want to fly the ATC assigned route on departure, hence why you want it in the Primary.

Yes, thanks. So what route do you enter in the secondary F-PLN?
Can you enter a normal SID in SEC F-PLN?
Do you use the SEC F-PLN in other cases?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back