Solo

rvpjuv20

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RyanParker
Yesterday, I soloed at 8 hours. At KAUN it was a blast.

Congratulations! What are you flying? When you get a chance, provide some more detail about the flight.

I am flying a Piper warrior. At this school they do a stage check with a different instructor to see if you know what you are doing. So I did that with an instructor on Monday and did real well. So I was scheduled to fly Yesterday and I took my wife with me we went up for about 10 minutes and came back to the airport and did 1 engine out landing and then one normal landing. My instructor on final said how about me and your wife jump out of the plane now. I said sure and we taxied over to the school and they jumped out and off I went. I did two take off and landings both were real good.

8 hours! That's great!
Took me double that.

Congratulations!

Congrats!

My standing deal with my students: "Any time you want to take a break from the syllabus and just go fly maneuvers or pattern work solo, you can. Of course, weather must be within your solo limits."

Congrats!

My standing deal with my students: "Any time you want to take a break from the syllabus and just go fly maneuvers or pattern work solo, you can. Of course, weather must be within your solo limits."

Yes, he told me I can go anytime. Limited to 8 miles vis, 8000 ft 8 xwind.

Is 8 your lucky number by any chance? Perhaps you are flying N888E?

Otherwise, congrats! I always enjoyed flying solo during training :thumbsup:

8000 feet ceiling or altitude?

If it's altitude, a Warrior won't go much higher except really really slowly (and even then, only at Vy corrected for the altitude). If it's ceiling, that's incredibly high. Even with the terrain around Auburn, you should be good with a 3000 foot ceiling as long as it was clear underneath and you flew west (or at least not too far east).

If it's terrain height, you could go to Tahoe like that (not that I'd recommend that for a student pilot -- you'll get your teeth knocked out by the turbulence near Sugar Bowl at that altitude).

Good deal with the solo. There are some challenges at Auburn, especially with weird winds and thermals.

Last edited:
8000 feet ceiling or altitude?

If it's altitude, a Warrior won't go much higher except really really slowly (and even then, only at Vy corrected for the altitude). If it's ceiling, that's incredibly high. Even with the terrain around Auburn, you should be good with a 3000 foot ceiling as long as it was clear underneath and you flew west (or at least not too far east).

If it's terrain height, you could go to Tahoe like that (not that I'd recommend that for a student pilot -- you'll get your teeth knocked out by the turbulence near Sugar Bowl at that altitude).

Good deal with the solo. There are some challenges at Auburn, especially with weird winds and thermals.

Yes, It gets bumpy at Auburn. But I seem to handle it well.

Attachments

• 20150302_123203.jpg
    20150302_123203.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Congratulations. You've now done something that relatively few people on this planet have done - taken an airplane into flight and returned safely to the ground, all by yourself. A serious accomplishment that you will remember for a long time. And, only 8 hours? Fantastic. Your checkride will come sooner than you expect. Have fun!

Congratulations. You've now done something that relatively few people on this planet have done - taken an airplane into flight and returned safely to the ground, all by yourself. A serious accomplishment that you will remember for a long time. And, only 8 hours? Fantastic. Your checkride will come sooner than you expect. Have fun!

Thanks I appreciate it. My instructor said the same thing about the low time. He said hes never seen it before. Along with the low hours I started flying oct 10th. So you can see there has been a long time in between flights.

Nice. KAUN is a wonky field with the terrain and not quite flat runway.

Back