Solo flights

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
So the past few days I've been doing solo xc's to meet the requirement. I've been very bored. North west illinois is not an exciting place to fly over. It's all cornfields. I did get to see some sky divers and im tracking where I am and keeping my check points but bored. Are there any ways to avoid that? And do other people have this issue?

I have my iPod on most of the time. But yeah it's boring. Hopefully it will get better when I can bring passengers

Take a few pictures
Listen to a little music
I never get tired of looking out the window

Just remember to fly the plane and look for traffic

Take a few pictures
Listen to a little music
I never get tired of looking out the window

Just remember to fly the plane and look for traffic
It's all corn fields. It gets old. And yeah the iPod gets turned off before I talk to anyone.

I took friends along for a hamburger.
I'm still a student so that's off the table for now. But my check ride is on Wednesday so hoping I pass and then I can do so

...I've got almost 200 hours total now and have had my PPL for a little over a year...and I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

:dunno:

No matter what's down below I still giggle and pinch myself not believing that I get to do this.

Seriously though, I get it. With drab scenery it can get a little old...others have made great suggestions...get a BT ANR headset, connect to your phone and jam to some tunes.

I also tend to do a lot of looking for places to land if the engine quit...now....kinda stuff as well as pilotage kind of things like looking for landmarks, trying to find airports, etc...

I really can't identify with this. If you are a student, your mind should be occupied with practice holding an accurate heading and altitude, along with watching for other aircraft, watching for your checkpoints, constantly scanning for a place to put it down if the engine sputters, monitoring engine temp, oil pressure, etc. If you are NOT doing all this, START doing it.

Last edited:
I can't understand it either unless you're flying with blinders and an autopilot. You should have plenty to do.

I've done my share of flying over the Central Valley. The terrain is pretty boring, but the flying isn't unless I let some gadget do all the work unsupervised.

...I've got almost 200 hours total now and have had my PPL for a little over a year...and I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

:dunno:

No matter what's down below I still giggle and pinch myself not believing that I get to do this.

Agree completely

There is always something to do. Are you holding your altitude and heading perfectly? Try not to aim for PTS. Aim for a perfect altitude hold and perfect headings.

There is always something to do. Are you holding your altitude and heading perfectly? Try not to aim for PTS. Aim for a perfect altitude hold and perfect headings.
I always aim for pts and seem to be able to keep it. Both heading and altitude. And yes im always looking for check points and timing so yes im doing stuff

Are you using a panel mount gps or ipad for your XC? Autopilot? If so, turn them off. I as we'll can't relate either. I have 260 hours and it is like a trip to Disney land every time I get to fly.

Sorry, I have never been bored.

Every flight is fun and exciting!!

You sound like my friend who flies to get some place.
I fly some place to get to fly!!!

Last edited:
My first solo cross country included my radios failing on the way to a towered airport resulting in a diversion and landing (late) at an unplanned airport.

My second (and long) cross country resulted in a diversion due to mountain obscuration on my planned route and repeated failed attempts to contact ATC for flight following as my changed route continued into lowering ceilings (not so low to be dangerous but definitely disconcerting to a soloing student)

Boredom was not a problem. :D

Come to think of it, boredom has never been a problem when flying.

Maybe my issue is I'm flying to the same airports due to weather and school restrictions. I love flying its just been the route. I enjoy practising maneuvers.

There is all kinds of stuff to do!
Navigate using every available. method (gps, vor, DR, follow roads, different vors, ndb)
Listen to the big guys talk to center.
Call up flight services. They're bored too.
Change your altitude.
Transition to slow flight and back.
Change your speed.
Always play the what if game.
Try flying using only trim, throttle, and rudder.
If the flight is too smooth, try to find turbulence.
Too rough? Try to find smooth air.

I feel you on the lack of scenery; I fly in Kansas. But just remember, YOU'RE IN A FREAKING AIRPLANE!

Last edited:
I'm guessing that your issue isn't boredom so much as it is impatience. So you have to fly to the same airport a few times to get your cert. In all likelihood, you've got several decades to live so just get-er-done and move on.

I'm guessing that your issue isn't boredom so much as it is impatience. So you have to fly to the same airport a few times to get your cert. In all likelihood, you've got several decades to live so just get-er-done and move on.
That very well could be it

Maybe my issue is I'm flying to the same airports due to weather and school restrictions. I love flying its just been the route. I enjoy practising maneuvers.

Which airports are you flying to?

I am so glad to see other people that think like me.
Every flight at some point, I have this thought.
I think that too. Especially when I land. My thoughts are usually, I just flew a freakin plane. However today im grounded due wind and my solo limitations.

I always aim for pts and seem to be able to keep it. Both heading and altitude. And yes im always looking for check points and timing so yes im doing stuff

Not a criticism, but I want to make sure you're aware... PTS standards are MINIMUM standards. If you feel like you have extra time and not enough to do during your flights, work on BETTER THAN PTS holding of heading and altitude. It'll make you a better (more precise) pilot and can help if/when you decide to get additional ratings. But make sure to keep your eyes outside! (Tighter standards could lead to instrument panel fixation which would be detrimental at best and deadly at worst.)

Not a criticism, but I want to make sure you're aware... PTS standards are MINIMUM standards. If you feel like you have extra time and not enough to do during your flights, work on BETTER THAN PTS holding of heading and altitude. It'll make you a better (more precise) pilot and can help if/when you decide to get additional ratings. But make sure to keep your eyes outside! (Tighter standards could lead to instrument panel fixation which would be detrimental at best and deadly at worst.)
Nope, I appreciate the comments and help. I have my check ride on Wednesday so I'll take any advice out there

In some ways, flying is like golf....go for smaller numbers: when you can hold altitude within 50 feet and heading within five degrees, work on holding altitude within 20 feet and heading within two degrees. Then +/- zero for altitude and heading. Trim plays a major part in this. When you can do it without conscious thought you will have reached aviation nirvana.

Bob Gardner

Back