Soft field oops

What did I just watch? It wasn't soft field anything.

Sorry for the title...I thought the grass contributed somewhat. Obviously that "landing" would have bent metal on any surface, but maybe the nose wheel wouldn't have gotten buried on a paved surface. I'm a student, so maybe I just have soft field landings on the brain...

Looks to me like there was a miscommunication between pilot and passenger of just exactly what "Hold my beer for a minute" means. Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

What the heck was that? Looks more like a controlled crash landing than anything else.

I hangar on a grass field (sod). I talk to other bonanza owners and when they hear that it's almost like the see me as some test pilot. Grass is (most of the time) not unlike pavement. The biggest issue is takeoff performance. Get the numbers wrong with a lot of weight and you won't clear the trees.

Unless the field is very soggy (or something odd happens - like a deer popping out of the trees) the m more comfortable landing on grass than pavement.

Obviously- drive the grass strip first or call ahead for conditions. Otherwise- land normally.

What the heck was that? Looks more like a controlled crash landing than anything else.
"Controlled" is more charitable than I would be.

Looks like slow speed and more than required bank at the end there and it was a low level stall probably. Plenty of runway, why they thought they needed to land on the first two feet is beyond me.

You can tell he tried to pull up there at the end...

Hard to know what happened...

Back side of the power curve with no energy left to stop the descent?

Sudden downdraft or wind shear right at the end of the approach?

I thought at first that you might have made a typo in the title and were actually asking about soft field ops.
No question here. Pilot error.
But glad that they're all okay. It could have been worse.

Hard to know what happened...

Back side of the power curve with no energy left to stop the descent?

Sudden downdraft or wind shear right at the end of the approach?
That's what I was thinking too - but I didn't see any sudden increase in descent rate. He just didn't have the plane under control and failed to flare on top of it. That should have been a no-brainer for an automatic go-around. Very strange.

Agree there was no wind. He banked a bit (15 degrees?) and then it looked like the tail yawed pretty quick just before it quit flying. If he'd done that six feet lower he might have been okay.

I like the guy in the red hat that starts running for the plane but makes sure to get a selfie first.

I like the guy in the red hat that starts running for the plane but makes sure to get a selfie first.

That's what I saw. But we have to be wrong, right? :eek:

I don't think he was taking a selfie, it looks to me like his phone is in his left hand and he is pointing with his right and saying something. it looks to me like he switches hands with his phone after he turns around.

You can see the flash
It's not a selfie, he lifts the flag line up and then points at something in the other direction. The flash looks to be the strobe on the wing. I wouldn't put it past someone to take a selfie during something like this though.

I can't see well enough to tell if the prop was turning. If the engine failed, that might somewhat explain the goofiness if he was trying to stretch the last little bit.

According to ASN:
"The aircraft experienced a loss of adequate lift during a cross-controlled landing attempt at Mc Kinnon Airpark (OG29), Sandy, Oregon. The airplane sustained substantial damage and two of the four occupants onboard received minor injuries. Two of the occupants onboard the aircraft were not injured."

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=196834

According to ASN:
"The aircraft experienced a loss of adequate pilot skills during a cross-controlled landing attempt at Mc Kinnon Airpark (OG29), Sandy, Oregon. The airplane sustained substantial damage and two of the four occupants onboard received minor injuries. Two of the occupants onboard the aircraft were not injured."

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=196834

FTFY

This guy might have had the prop on the ground before the nose wheel.

To his credit, he didn't porpoise. ;(

Back