Soft field oops

umm, slipping it down on final is one way to lose altitude without gaining airspeed.
Some of us don't even have flaps. Agreed it looks like a botched (and unnecessary) slip. Glad they all walked away.

Some of us don't even have flaps. Agreed it looks like a botched (and unnecessary) slip. Glad they all walked away.
Agreed on the unnecessary but I've been there/done that. Gotta stay proficient if yer gonna throw the airplane around the sky like that.

He needed a touch more flare

Actually, I think he needed a touch less flare. He pulled back as he crossed the threshold high and stalled it. I would say silly thing to do if I didn't know we could all go out and do the exact same thing tomorrow.

On the plus side, he got a $50 Sporty's gift certificate for winning the spot arrival contest.
FTFY...I'm thinking that even navy pilots flinched on that one.

Obviously. But that would be a cross-controlled approach. The description states a "cross-controlled landing attempt" and that is what it looks like on the video.
I've had a cross-controlled approach turn into a cross-controlled landing...it wasn't difficult but it did deposit just a bit of tire material on the runway...

Hard to know what happened...

Back side of the power curve with no energy left to stop the descent?

Sudden downdraft or wind shear right at the end of the approach?

No wind shear or downdraft, just a stupid attempt to land on the first 100 feet of the runway. The right wingtip hit the ground at the same time the right main touched down.

I'm sorta picky, but I like to land with the wings level.

The right wing dropping and a slight right turn is what gets my attention. Too slow and the plane is starts to get mushy in the controls? Vortices from another landing plane?

Hard for me to determine control surfaces position on my laptop.

It looks like he came around an obstruction and found himself low and not aligned with the centerline. Then it looks like he tried to align with the runway and got too low and simply drove it into the ground. I read somewhere that the runway is "short" at 2000' long. That ain't short but if he thought it was? An obstructed short field may have been outside of his comfort zone.

It looks like he came around an obstruction and found himself low and not aligned with the centerline. Then it looks like he tried to align with the runway and got too low and simply drove it into the ground. I read somewhere that the runway is "short" at 2000' long. That ain't short but if he thought it was? An obstructed short field may have been outside of his comfort zone.

There's a paved runway here in FL at KSPG (18/36), both ends have water. Plenty long (about 2300 ft) but it's WIDE. Had a few accidents there where pilots force the plane down and break it. About a year ago someone's gear collapsed due to that and it had to be removed with a crane.

Maybe this grass strip is the same thing..wide and short.

That is very possible as well.

No wind shear or downdraft, just a stupid attempt to land on the first 100 feet of the runway. The right wingtip hit the ground at the same time the right main touched down.

A few hours practicing landings in gusty crosswinds will cure you of that. Touching down on the upwind landing gear first means that the winds can't be level.

Bob

The difference between soft field ops and soft field ooops is merely an 'oo' . . ..

Now that we have the details sorted out, I agree with the OP's title. The landing should have been a soft field landing, and it wasn't, hence the oops.

What if the runway is not level..??? :confused: :)

A few hours practicing landings in gusty crosswinds will cure you of that. Touching down on the upwind landing gear first means that the winds can't be level.

Bob

How about "close to level"? The guy was in a 30 degree bank..

Now that we have the details sorted out, I agree with the OP's title. The landing should have been a soft field landing, and it wasn't, hence the oops.
I see nothing that indicates it's a soft field.

I don't see a slip or last second turn. I see a stall with rotation starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back