So who put the turbocharger in my old Bo??!!!

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Man it was chilly pulling the old bonanza out of the hangar today. Had to go take a pee before loading up...

Been a while since the density altitude was anywhere near actual. Took no time to get to 65 mph (rotate) and gave up holding Vx as the nose was way high. Vy was well over 1000 fpm through 4000'.

Loving the new turbocharger!

Winter flying is awesome.
I've you get the engine started anyway

Even the C-207 climbs like a rocket at -4000 density altitude.

This turbo charging works on bigger airplanes too. A flight a couple days ago we were climbing at 6k FPM, 340 KIAS at FL180. Its like a rocket ship in the winter.

just imagine if you had a real turbo.....:D

Tempting. But I hear you pour a bucket of $100 bills in the mains before takeoff though :eek:

I really get how one can get used to the extra performance and then get caught with a W&B that worked last week that would be questionable at 100 dF...

6k fpm?!! I could get used to that ...

brian];1937813 said:
Tempting. But I hear you pour a bucket of $100 bills in the mains before takeoff though :eek:

I really get how one can get used to the extra performance and then get caught with a W&B that worked last week that would be questionable at 100 dF...

actually....the turbo puts more weight up front....where you need it. I didn't have any issues "fully" loaded this summer going into Oshkosh. :D....and we climbed heavy at +1,200 fpm up to 16K feet.

Last edited:
brian];1937813 said:

Imagine how fast that climb would be at 210 KIAS. Probably 8k FPM. I'll have to give it a try on the next flight.

Keep in mind most turbos don't help takeoff (unless you're in Denver), they help climb and cruise. It's not until you get to the higher power planes (Navajo Chieftain, etc.) where the turbos really buy you more horsepower, and they still cost you a bunch of weight.

Turbo would be nice. Hate to admit this: I still have a lot to learn before I could make good use of one. Still amazes me when I fly from one "micro climate" to another...

In general, I find a more powerful engine provides you with more end usefulness than a turbo.

Cept when you want to get above the clag easily.....:D

I said "in general". ;)

Even still, turbos will start to run out of steam, especially without intercoolers. Naturally aspirated runs out sooner, but I've comfortably had the 310 at 15k with a full load of dogs. In 2000ish hours of flying naturally aspirated piston twins, I've rarely had times where I wanted turbos.

I said "in general". ;)

Even still, turbos will start to run out of steam, especially without intercoolers. Naturally aspirated runs out sooner, but I've comfortably had the 310 at 15k with a full load of dogs. In 2000ish hours of flying naturally aspirated piston twins, I've rarely had times where I wanted turbos.
you also fly an over powered twin......not the same for singles pal. :goofy:

you also fly an over powered twin......not the same for singles pal. :goofy:

That's right, and the overpowered twin I fly was upgraded with bigger engines (300 HP each instead of 260).

Throw a 550 in, that'll wake the old girl up!

That's right, and the overpowered twin I fly was upgraded with bigger engines (300 HP each instead of 260).

Throw a 550 in, that'll wake the old girl up!
well.....cough, cough, an inch or two over boost and an extra 100 rpm otta count for something? :D....after all I'm flying a 285HP up to 17-18K

Last edited:
brian];1937813 said:

Bo is one of the few planes that a turbo helps CG issues, but you have no need for one unless of course you get a place in the mountains and start flying into 7000'+ strips. That's where a turbo really makes you smile for having it, because you're still off in 1000' with a fair if not good climb.

well.....cough, cough, an inch or two over boost and an extra 100 rpm ought count for something? :D....after all I'm flying a 285HP up to 17-18K

Sure, you can always cheat, and turbos make it easy to do so. I'm talking about leaving it as certified.

Yea, Twin dude ... you and a certain 55 owner have had gotten me thinking again. I did ask some questions about a G58 partnership - wow!

Like I posted above - there is lot to learn first...

brian];1938198 said:
Yea, Twin dude ... you and a certain 55 owner have had gotten me thinking again. I did ask some questions about a G58 partnership - wow!

don't let him fool ya.....he's talk'n bout a +600HP beast vs a 300HP single.....ain't no comparison there. :no:

You don't need to go G58 to get 90+% of the benefits of a twin. Plenty available. As someone who's not opposed to old airplanes (given your 47 V-tail), you could pick up a tuna tank 310 cheap and get low 170s on low/mid 20s GPH. Or buy a later model short nose with a 520 upgrade.

Or a 55/58, if so inclined.

brian];1938198 said:

Questions like, "What's it cost to play?":yikes::lol: G-58 your jumping as hig as it gets cost wise without a cabin.

don't let him fool ya.....he's talk'n bout a +600HP beast vs a 300HP single.....ain't no comparison there. :no:

I thought you single owners always say theextra engine offers no benefit? :dunno:

I thought you single owners always say theextra engine offers no benefit? :dunno:

Naw, we always say that the extra engine always allows you to fly to the crash site...

IMO, There are two reasons to go turbo:

1.) you live in the mountains and operate out of really high strips

OR

2.) you will be cruising in the flight levels with pressurization.

If you're not pressurized, or you're not flying out of high altitude strips, I think they're absolutely not worth it.

I personally have no interest in cruising any higher than about 12k without pressurization.

Turbo + Pressurization is a pretty sweet thing.

Last edited:
Questions like, "What's it cost to play?":yikes::lol: G-58 your jumping as hig as it gets cost wise without a cabin.

Not new - and a partnership. I needed some numbers to better understand what owning a twin might require financially. Not entirely out of the question.

The biggest difference is my old Bo is for fun and if the A&P takes a few days to return my call, no big. If I "upgrade" it would be for business use and having the aircraft ready to go would be a critical point. So a T-Bone won't be on my list.

But yea, the 55s and C310s look appealing from my novice standpoint.

You don't need to go G58 to get 90+% of the benefits of a twin. Plenty available. As someone who's not opposed to old airplanes (given your 47 V-tail), you could pick up a tuna tank 310 cheap and get low 170s on low/mid 20s GPH. Or buy a later model short nose with a 520 upgrade.

Or a 55/58, if so inclined.

Right, if you want a G-58 capability airplane, you can buy this: http://www.controller.com/listingsd...58-BARON/1977-BEECHCRAFT-58-BARON/1402191.htm, throw away the panel and spend another $110k on a full glass panel with dual G-600s and a GTN stack with remotes including active radar. You actually get a better interface than the G-1000 series deck, and you still have plenty of screen real estate with more screen options. I think you can upgrade the Century IV to their latest digital for not a whole lot of money as well, but not sure.

The nice thing about this plane though is the engines are depreciated all the way out to core value, but just; if run gently are potentially good for another 300-500hrs of use that you will get for free, since you bought them at core value. Overhaul them when the oil analysis or something else indicates, or replace them with a 550 option. Ram has some nice options, and I think TAT has a TN option for it. You also get a very low time airframe that looks like it's professionally hangared and cared for.

You end up with G-58 capability at 20% the price.

Last edited:
why does one need to get a nose bleed in the flight levels? :D

Question: if you were to regularly fly from Arkansas to all states East of the Rockies most of the time, wouldn't you want to push above the weather sometimes? I know I get the old Bo up to 11500 pretty regularly already.

brian];1938231 said:
Question: if you were to regularly fly from Arkansas to all states East of the Rockies most of the time, wouldn't you want to push above the weather sometimes? I know I get the old Bo up to 11500 pretty regularly already.
16-17K will get you where you need to go above the nasty....without going high into the nose bleed levels. and...if you want higher you're gonna want FIKI too and that's another breed....and maybe you'd then want pressurization too.

brian];1938231 said:

No, I stay underneath for the vast majority of weather flying in convective systems.

Right, if you want a G-58 capability airplane, you can buy this: http://www.controller.com/listingsd...58-BARON/1977-BEECHCRAFT-58-BARON/1402191.htm, throw away the panel and spend another $110k on a full glass panel with dual G-600s and a GTN stack with remotes including active radar. You actually get a better interface than the G-1000 series deck, and you still have plenty of screen real estate with more screen options. I think you can upgrade the Century IV to their latest digital for not a whole lot of money as well, but not sure.

The nice thing about this plane though is the engines are depreciated all the way out to core value, but just; if run gently are potentially good for another 300-500hrs of use that you will get for free, since you bought them at core value. Overhaul them when the oil analysis or something else indicates, or replace them with a 550 option. Ram has some nice options, and I think TAT has a TN option for it. You also get a very low time airframe that looks like it's professionally hangared and cared for.

You end up with G-58 capability at 20% the price.

I did watch a 55 PII conversion go on BeechTalk for about $200k. Pretty much a turn-key solution with all the goodies and fairly low time engines.

I guess the scariest part of these twins are owning not one but TWO continentals...

Back