So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

For the record, I do truly appreciate your point of view because I do like thinking about these things. I'm a Network Engineer by trade so redundancy is my world and I'm always adding more to my tool belt (hopefully most for the better).
The battery charge scenario did happen a couple weeks ago on a XC with my instructor. I "thought" I charged my iPad but didn't and started a 3.5 hour flight at 30% and knew I wouldn't make it. Fortunately I had my 6000mah mophie battery pack and just plugged it in. I also had my 2.4A cigarette lighter charger as tertiary. (and the phone)
Honestly a sectional for my area would easily fit in my flight bag or the back of a seat in the plane so I'm sure I'll ultimately pick one up. I have really studied the VFR charts in general so I'm very comfortable reading them.

Yeah, you'll be fine.

I'd just rather spare you the unpleasantness of learning some of this stuff the hard way.

Your airplane is probably in better shape, but I lost my previous tablet due to a bad 12V socket in a rental airplane. I plugged it in and it died instantly and permanently. In retrospect, I suspect the alternator's rectifier was blown (one of the three diodes will fail to a dead short, leading to a truncated sinusoidal voltage rather than DC -- and will still charge the battery, albeit slowly), and I probably shouldn't have flown the airplane for that reason. But it passed run-up and I flew it on paper, across Los Angeles, successfully. As a result of this, I do not plug the tablet into ship's power, but instead rely on a spare battery. iPads do last a while if kept charged, especially if used intermittently. But it's important to understand that the spare batteries slow the discharge rate. They do not charge the device if it is use.

Here's my update - Went up last week again, figured on doing the same stuff as prior lesson (Pattern work, emergency landings, etc) and we were going to add in soft field TO/Landing and short field TO/Landing. Got to practice airport and there were 3 others in the pattern. Entered downwind on the 45, so far so good. Another plane announces departing 33, so now 5 total including me. I'm #2, and #1 is a bit slow (or I'm a bit close) so I extend on downwind. #3 I have not made visual with, but I believe he's behind us. I watch #1 turn final, and I turn base, looking for #3 (no dice). I get all sidetracked, and am high on final. Then I loose track of airspeed and realize that as I'm about 50' off I'm way too slow (nearing stall). So I nose down to pick up airspeed, basically diving for the runway. Flare, land, nothing bent and the touchdown wasn't bad but my instructor said "See - you got distracted! You must FLY first! Take off again..." so I took off, back in the pattern, and proceeded to butcher the next two landings. Winds were "variable" and were changing significantly on every approach, crosswind from right on final, switching to left at 20' up, etc. Ugh. I put it down each time, not horrible, but nothing like the lesson before when I greased every landing (9 of them). Very humbling. Before we left I did manage to redeem myself a bit, but the constantly changing winds were a challenge for sure. Did do a good final landing back at KSYR, and also handled all the radio comms, etc. with no real help/mistakes (getting far more comfortable at that).

Lesson again this Friday early am. Weather looks... challenging. Horrible "fall like" low ceiling and wind here the next few days, Friday looks like clearing with a window in the AM. Will probably be at best like last time (which is good, Im not learning as much if its glass smooth all the time).

Flying a Cherokee-140 *(with 160HP upgrade). Any advice on shifting-wind final is appreciated. Instructor tells me Im not using the rudder for directional control enough on final (Which I believe I am, but apparently not) and also, confused me with "don't use the ailerons". This because I was getting tossed around on final by thermals (smack one wing lifting it). I'd try to correct, but he said to not do that and just let it settle as my aileron correction was screwing me up. Made me fly part of a pattern using nothing but rudder to demonstrate.

Basically, I need another slightly windy/variable day to sort this all out and learn it more from muscle memory standpoint. Looks like Friday will be like that so I hope to report better landings after...

Ill try to draw you a mental picture. Lets say you have a 20' crosswind from the right. if this is a drawing, the airplane would be superimposed over the centerline of the runway as you come down the glideslope, but the nose will be 20' off centerline to the right. With me so far? Now you cant land 20' off centerline so you use your rudder to move the nose to the left to "align" the airplane with the centerline. Now, because we have this 20' crosswind and you have turned the side of the airplane to it, (think a sail on a sailboat) you are now being moved to the left, your airplane is "aligned", but off center. You would then use your ailerons to move back to centerline with rudder still keeping you pointed in the correct direction. I also trained in a 160 HP Cherokee, when its windy you use a lot of rudder.

I had some struggles with the rudder early on and here's what helped me mentally.
The ailerons are for staying on the centerline and the rudder is for staying aligned with the runway. So, when I have a crosswind I kind of repeat that to myself as I'm coming in and I'll lock in my slip at the fence to straighten up and bank into the wind to hold the centerline while straight.
Then as I'm landing and the winds become variable I simply make little tweaks to the bank if I start sliding off the centerline left or right or I make little tweaks to the rudder if I get out of alignment with the runway. It doesn't have to be perfectly straight, but obviously the straighter the better to reduce side loads on the gear.

The last issue I had was it seemed that I always got a "burst" of crosswind changing at round out because I would always start to turn off the runway alignment at round out. Then somebody told me about the gyroscopic precision of the propeller causing a yaw when you round out the plane. Meaning as you rotate the plane the gyroscopic effect of propeller will want to yaw the plane slightly as well. Now that I expect it I always know I have to tweak the rudder just a bit right at round out and all is well.

Thanks Guys - Here's what I've been doing (and honestly I have not had great guidance on this from my instructor - and I've read a number of different techniques online, so ... confused.)

I've been "crabbing" while on final. So, 20' crosswind from the right, I set up my crab angle to stay on centerline. My instructor teaches the "dive for the runway" method of landing, so after 3rd knotch of flaps, basically "over the fence" cut power to idle and fly it onto the runway. Flare. Land.

Problem is with the crosswind, crabbing on final works fine, until I cut power, then I get blown off to the side by the time I flare, and in the flare I even got turned pretty sideways on that first one (where the x-wind switched directions).

Sounds like the technique you are describing would have be keep the aircraft longitudinally aligned with the runway centerline using the rudder, and using aileron (dropping one wing somewhat) "turn" the airplane into the wind enough to maintain that alignment? Both methods are discussed on this link:

http://www.askacfi.com/1138/crosswind-takeoffs-and-landings.htm

I think I'm confused because I've been given only direction on this, not instruction. I.e. "more rudder, dont use the aileron" does not really tell me what to DO in this situation. (I presume by that direction my instructor prefers the "crab" technique I was attempting).

When you fly with the airplane "nose in" to the wind, flying sideways, you are crabbing. when you fly with the airplane aligned with the centerline, wing low, that is a forward slip. And you most certainly will need to put in "some" power to maintain centerline in a crab, it is kinda like being trimmed, if you are crabbing down the slope maintaining centerline with 1800 RPM, if you cut power and do nothing else, in our scenario you will absolutely move left of centerline. To maintain at the lower power setting you will need to transition to the forward slip.

When you fly with the airplane "nose in" to the wind, flying sideways, you are crabbing. when you fly with the airplane aligned with the centerline, wing low, that is a forward slip. And you most certainly will need to put in "some" power to maintain centerline in a crab, it is kinda like being trimmed, if you are crabbing down the slope maintaining centerline with 1800 RPM, if you cut power and do nothing else, in our scenario you will absolutely move left of centerline. To maintain at the lower power setting you will need to transition to the forward slip.

This doesn't make sense.

If you cut power, the aircraft will attempt to maintain airspeed by nosing down and descending. This means all the lateral variables in the crab are the same. You're just descending. So, unless the wind changes, you'll stay lined up with the runway in the same crab.

However, wind does often change with altitude. That has nothing to do with throttle setting, though.

A forward slip does usually need some additional power (though not much) because it creates drag to fly out of coordination.

I think jbrinker's issue is not maintaining the slip through the flare. You need MORE slip as your airspeed slows, because the wing's lift is reduced.

I don't know what a 20 foot crosswind is. Do you mean a 20 knot crosswind? That's a hell of a lot for a student pilot.

I think he means 20 degrees.

20 deg at 60 knots true airspeed is pretty close to 20 knots. Still one hell of a lot.

Crab angle is a linear function of airspeed, so it doesn't make much sense as a way to parametrize a crosswind in this context.

Sorry for any confusion, I was using the ' nomenclature that someone way above used, and I assumed to be "degrees". I.e landing runway 33, wind from 35 would be 20 degree crosswind. In my example we had variable winds of 0G8kt, but on one attempt it might be 20deg from the right, next 45 from the left, and in almost all cases it would be quite different from approach to flare. I hadn't practiced in such variable conditions before, at least not as noticeable. It was definitely "crossing me up" on the final approach to flare. Going to talk to instructor about the exact methods he wants me to use, and the practice that. Based on what he has told me so far, he wants me to keep the wings always level - which gets me into trouble when I try to remove that crab angle as I flare. Part of my concern was that the prior lesson I really 'had it dialed in' and was making really good landings, with nice gentle main touchdown and holding nosewheel off etc. The conditions last time made me feel like a 2nd hour student again.

20 deg at 60 knots true airspeed is pretty close to 20 knots. Still one hell of a lot.

Crab angle is a linear function of airspeed, so it doesn't make much sense as a way to parametrize a crosswind in this context.

Where are you getting 60 knots TAS?

So, 20' crosswind from the right

All I am saying is that he means 20 degrees, not 20 feet.

Sorry for any confusion, I was using the ' nomenclature that someone way above used, and I assumed to be "degrees". I.e landing runway 33, wind from 35 would be 20 degree crosswind.

I was correct.

Where are you getting 60 knots TAS?

What are you flying that doesn't have a final approach speed at full flap near that, at least at sea level? Yes, a 152 may be 5 knots slower, and a 182 5 knots faster, but it doesn't make a significant difference to any of the statements made here.

A 20 deg crab means the AIRPLANE is 20 deg off straight ahead. It's the same as a "wind correction angle." It's generally a much smaller angle than the wind angle against the runway. Crosswinds are generally measured in knots. Just the deviation from the runway is not meaningful without airspeed and especially wind speed. For instance, I can land with a tailwind if the wind speed is less than 5 knots (except on a really short runway), and it won't make a whole lot of difference. With a 20 knot wind, that would be stupid.

Sorry this got so complicated so fast - I think initially this discussion was all "in principle" with no specifics. I.e. "slight crosswind from the right that requires a noticeable crab angle then switches direction about 20 feet off the runway" That sort of thing. I plan to work on this Friday with my instructor, hoping we have similar conditions.

Sorry this got so complicated so fast - I think initially this discussion was all "in principle" with no specifics. I.e. "slight crosswind from the right that requires a noticeable crab angle then switches direction about 20 feet off the runway" That sort of thing. I plan to work on this Friday with my instructor, hoping we have similar conditions.
It was simple.

Where are you getting a "20 degree crab angle?" He said 20 degree cross wind from the right.
If you can't see the ambiguity, I can't help you. Yes, I know this thread is mostly student pilots, but the solution you assumed doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the larger context. It's quite difficult for a pilot to measure the angle off the runway with precision. The best you can do is a very rough estimate from the windsock -- and there is no way you can tell the difference between 20 and 30 deg. Sounds like someone believed ATIS was right. Crab angle is actually measurable.

If you can't see the ambiguity, I can't help you. Yes, I know this thread is mostly student pilots, but the solution you assumed doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the larger context. It's quite difficult for a pilot to measure the angle off the runway with precision. The best you can do is a very rough estimate from the windsock -- and there is no way you can tell the difference between 20 and 30 deg. Sounds like someone believed ATIS was right. Crab angle is actually measurable.

Jesus, Dude. All I did was clarify what he intended to say. He even clarified that he meant exactly what I said he meant:

Sorry for any confusion, I was using the ' nomenclature that someone way above used, and I assumed to be "degrees". I.e landing runway 33, wind from 35 would be 20 degree crosswind. In my example we had variable winds of 0G8kt, but on one attempt it might be 20deg from the right, next 45 from the left, and in almost all cases it would be quite different from approach to flare.

This ain't rocket surgery.

Thanks Guys - Here's what I've been doing (and honestly I have not had great guidance on this from my instructor - and I've read a number of different techniques online, so ... confused.)

I've been "crabbing" while on final. So, 20' crosswind from the right, I set up my crab angle to stay on centerline. My instructor teaches the "dive for the runway" method of landing, so after 3rd knotch of flaps, basically "over the fence" cut power to idle and fly it onto the runway. Flare. Land.

Problem is with the crosswind, crabbing on final works fine, until I cut power, then I get blown off to the side by the time I flare, and in the flare I even got turned pretty sideways on that first one (where the x-wind switched directions).

Sounds like the technique you are describing would have be keep the aircraft longitudinally aligned with the runway centerline using the rudder, and using aileron (dropping one wing somewhat) "turn" the airplane into the wind enough to maintain that alignment? Both methods are discussed on this link:

I think I'm confused because I've been given only direction on this, not instruction. I.e. "more rudder, dont use the aileron" does not really tell me what to DO in this situation. (I presume by that direction my instructor prefers the "crab" technique I was attempting).

Here is a tip: ignore what folks here are telling you. You understand the concepts just fine. You just need practice. You will learn by experimenting. It takes time. It can be frustrating, but it will come.

My instructor has always taught the slip on short final method. But your troubles sound familiar to what I experienced. I think the answer for me was to not commit to any control forces. I'd be lined up perfect and want to hold it there while the wind changed and threw me off. I just had to get more fluid and go with the flow as the wind does its thing. I'd have a wind from the right change to a wind from the left all during short final, you just have to get your controls right in your head and use what you need when you need it. Like others have said with the slip technique, ailerons for left/right to stay on center, rudder to align nose. I still have trouble judging longitudinal axis alignment, I'll think I'm straight when I'm not.

Changing the subject to 'where we stand'...
I'm kinda treading water for now till I get my written knocked out and then on to the long XC and then tuning for the finish line.

Did an hour in the pattern today. I was going to go practice maneuvers but the clouds didn't want to cooperate.
Got written done Thursday. 92. I'll take it.

Great score... congrats!

Checkride is coming up in four short days. Forecast looks good so far, but likely too windy for me to go up and practice Sunday or Monday. I've been "chair flying" at work and while driving as much as possible to lock this stuff in my head. As long as I don't let my nerves get to me, I'm sure I'll do fine.

Great score... congrats!

Checkride is coming up in four short days. Forecast looks good so far, but likely too windy for me to go up and practice Sunday or Monday. I've been "chair flying" at work and while driving as much as possible to lock this stuff in my head. As long as I don't let my nerves get to me, I'm sure I'll do fine.

I practice my flight skills while driving as well. Even though sometimes the other drivers get ****ed off at me for straddling the lane lines. Gotta keep the centerline.

That and of course I get weird looks from other drivers trying to pull the steering wheel back at rotation speed with my Bose headset on..after calling "Airspeed alive" and reaching Vr.

Good luck on the checkride by the way!

Great score... congrats!

Cool it the night prior. Nice meal and a glass or three of wine. Get sleep! You're ready for this and will do fine. Good luck!

That and of course I get weird looks from other drivers trying to pull the steering wheel back at rotation speed with my Bose headset on..after calling "Airspeed alive" and reaching Vr.

Good luck on the checkride by the way!

Yeah, I find it tends to upset other drivers when I enter the parking lot at 45 degrees on the downwind and then turn to base and final at 60 knots.....

meh. The other cars can always execute a go around if they feel it's unsafe.
Cool it the night prior. Nice meal and a glass or three of wine. Get sleep! You're ready for this and will do fine. Good luck!

My kids are going through a very special crazy phase (for the last four years or so...). To avoid the chaos and accompanying stress, I got a hotel room by the airport for the night before so I can just chill, have a couple Guinness and watch some pointless TV. I plan to NOT think about the checkride - or anything for that matter - that night. :)

Logged my first 0.4 hours today!

I've flown a discovery flight a few years ago and have a couple hours spent in a helicopter at work but this my first logged time.

Basically a typical discovery flight, started with preflight: the instructor showed a couple things on one side and then let me do the rest on the other side.

Weather was coming in and weren't sure that we would be able to go but it cleared up enough.

Did straight and level, turns, climbing and defending turns, and climbs/descents.

Alas due to a family medical emergency I too had to scrub my checkride until July 8th. Standby for write up then

Finally had some successful crosswind landings today. After Tuesday's crosswind landings weren't so good I was feeling a bit like I'd never solo. During debrief today my instructor said that if we can get a calm/down the runway wind day this week I'm ready. Unfortunately, weather is looking awful this week. With my previous flying 12 years ago, all I really need is 6.5 hours of solo (including the big cross country) and some more hood time and checkride prep and I'm ready to go. Come on weather...

I completed my long cross country yesterday and now officially have all my checkboxes completed.

I had been planning to go from KLNK (Lincoln, NE) <--> KAMW (Ames, IA) <--> KMLE (Millard, NE) <--> back to KLNK but the winds turned almost direct crosswind for KMLE so that one became marginal in my pre-flight.
My instructor gave me minimums of 25kt winds total with 12kt crosswind component and Millard was 8G12 crosswind. We talked about it and we agreed that I can take a look at it on the way there and if its within minimums I can make an attempt. I went a little further and decided if it was within minimums but close I'd do a low approach and see how it goes before deciding on a landing attempt.

Temps were scorching hot at near 100° so that was a first for me (no A/C in plane). I originally planned 7500' MSL eastbound but modified it to 9500' to try and cool off mid flight. It didn't help much because it was still really hot even up high. Flight to Ames went perfectly. I did flight following the way out and everything went smooth. I did have a little bit of unsureness when I was leaning out the engine because I've never leaned up that high. We've always been in the 4k-6k range on my previous X/C's. I fortunately did it right so it was all good. Landed in Ames without issues and had my first $100 hamburger. OK, it was $100 Chinese because that's where my son wanted to go for lunch with his girlfriend.
From Ames to Millard went great at 10,500' and I picked up flight following from Des Moines departure after I was off from Ames. Millard AWOS was holding 8G12 crosswind component so I was definitely going to do a low approach as I had planned earlier. It was a little bumpy in the pattern but when I turned final everything went to heck in a hurry. I didn't really think about the crosswind coming out of the southwest and how it would be blowing through all the trees on the ridge to the west and through all the hangars next to the airport. I felt like I was cartwheeling and tumbling down final it was so exciting. The wind direction was varying quite a bit as well so my tail was wagging back and forth like a puppy dog waiting for a treat. I was having a heck of a time holding the glide slope and ended up going around before I was at the fence. I decided right away that my landing was out of the picture, but wanted to do one more low approach now that I knew what to expect a little more. I put in another 5kts of speed for more control and It was a little better, but not much so I held it down to the threshold of the runway and then went around again. I did feel I "could have" landed safely but didn't want to get out of my comfort zone and it was just an intermediate stop anyways.
I needed to make sure I got in at least 3 hours time so I decided to do a little sightseeing around Omaha and flew over my house and around the lake I like to run at. It was fun, but the heat was almost unbearable so I headed back to Lincoln.
Zero issues getting back into Lincoln other than a slight plop on the landing.

Onward to check ride and oral prep next week.

I can't hold a candle to Cajun's picture awesomeness but I did get a few pics:
Flying over Millard (where I live/work) on the way to Ames
IMG_4664.JPG
Selfie time over Iowa
IMG_4666.JPG
Trying to impress my son and his girlfriend with the plane. It didn't work... :(
IMG_4669.JPG
Flying over my wife's work on the way back over Omaha heading to Millard.
IMG_4673.JPG

Yeah, you'll be fine.

I was thinking about you yesterday on my flight. While in cruise I had my iPad on Forflight sitting in the passenger seat and it overheated and shut off. I instantly thought of you talking about electronics failing. :)
I just moved it out of the sun and was only using it to watch the little blue plane fly across the ground so no big deal. It fired back up after a minute or two in front of the air vent.

Starting to look like my checkride is going to be cancelled due to wind. The forecast isn't terrible, but bad enough to make me think twice. Haven't gotten to practice all weekend because of the weather. Today's gusts were 40 mph! :(

Got to fly again today. Was only able to book two sessions this weekend, both today. Only having two flights last weekend (one Friday and one Sat) due to mechanical issues, and then a full week off, made me waaaaaay too rusty this morning.

Basically I sucked this morning. Did the take-off okay, but I was hopeless on ground ref maneuvers. Trying to do turns about a point, my circles were ovals and I couldn't hold altitude worth beans. Finally we broke off, climbed, and just did a few level, climbing, and descending turns to help me get the feel back.

This afternoon's flight was much much better. Did the takeoff again, then back to the practice area for more gnd ref work. This time the turns around a point were more controlled and I finally go to where I was doing them inside PTS again. Then we looked around for a long E-W road to do S turns, since the wind was from the south. The first couple of attempts were a bit shoddy, but with some good coaching from my CFI I finally started getting it dialed in. My last three runs were within PTS, and on the last run I held altitude within 20', so I'm getting there. I'm starting to feel a bit better about this.

We had some thunderstorms working their way toward us from the SW, so we turned to head back to the Apopka airport. With the wind still predominately from the south, we used RW 15, which is right pattern. I got us into the pattern, then made my first landing with my instructor assisting and nudging a little bit as needed. I started my flare too high, resulting in a "Not yet" from the CFI, then settled it down okay.

If anyone has any sure-fire tips for judging altitude and when to start the flare, I could sure use them!

So overall a decent day, and I'm up to 10.5 hours now. Laying off for a week seems to make me very rusty, but it's going to be that way. Oh well. I have three sessions scheduled for next weekend, then hope to do four the following weekend.

Still making progress, even though aviation seems to have its ups and downs....

Congrats to everyone who has made progress this week! I'm jealous of you close-to-checkride folks.

After having a terrible time last week with the shifting wind/crosswind landings I went back out again this past Friday with my instructor. Spent 10 minutes before going over "wing low" vs "crab and remove" procedures. Winds were 8-10kt out of 340 - almost right down runway 33. Made 3 really nice landings with no input from the instructor, another "surprise" simulated engine failure landing which I did really well on and then switched to runway 6, putting us in a nice crosswind from the left. Flew the first one with both of us on the controls, and although it was messy I understood the concept. Did another and got it almost perfect (wing low method). A couple more short field landings (Hit the numbers exactly) and headed back to KSYR before they closed the airport for the impending airshow. Landed on 28 with the wind from 340 so that was another good test (opposite of practice). Really did that one "nicely" according to the instructor. So, I finally feel like I redeemed myself from the week before.

Finally have the "I can really fly this thing" feeling back again - especially on the simulated engine failure. When he pulled power (it really was a surprise) I just did what I had to do, 80mph, spot the landing, and plan a route to get there. Came in still in the turn, pulled one notch of flaps and lined up about 40 feet high. Instructor said "you can add more flaps if you want" and I said "no time, landing it" and just kept my speed up a bit, and greased it right on. Felt like an actual PIC for a minute.

Plan to go 2x this week - Short field TO & Landing, Soft field TO & landing, and more crosswind practice,and spend some ground time planning a cross country. He said I'm ready to solo just as soon as my medical comes. Checking the mailbox every day like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" waiting for his secret decoder ring...

Last edited:
Wondering if someone could answer this question for me:

My school has a Cessna 162 (Skycatcher) and a few 172s of different variations. The 172s are a fair bit more expensive per hour than the 162. Any reason I shouldn't use the 162 for the majority of my training and just get a few hours in the 172s for when I want to take passengers?

And yes, I do plan on asking my CFI but it's late and I don't feel like sending him a text message this late. Thanks!

If anyone has any sure-fire tips for judging altitude and when to start the flare, I could sure use them!

Still making progress, even though aviation seems to have its ups and downs....

Are you looking down the runway a ways down? Say a third to halfway down? Give you a better 'sight' picture of when to round out/flare.

Aviation has it's ups and downs, well the pilot does anyway. Even an experienced old fart like me can be brought down at any time. Complacency and/or getting cocky will do it too. You'll be fine. It takes time and experience which you're gaining every lesson. You can see it on here when a newbie like yourself posts having difficulties, then as time goes by their posts become more confident. You'll get there. Everyone has good and bad days training.

Back