So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

I didn't think about it at all during the ride, but I am pretty sure his distraction kung fu was rendered ineffective.
He kept talking at various points throughout the flight including the initial takeoff where he was calling out all the different aircraft types on the ground. I just ignored him and kept going and towards the end I was even chatting it up with him during our pattern maneuvers about work and such. oops.
I guess if it doesn't effect my flying or communications then it doesn't matter from a check ride standpoint. He was really fun and interesting so I wanted to hear what he had to say. lol

I didn't think about it at all during the ride, but I am pretty sure his distraction kung fu was rendered ineffective.
He kept talking at various points throughout the flight including the initial takeoff where he was calling out all the different aircraft types on the ground. I just ignored him and kept going and towards the end I was even chatting it up with him during our pattern maneuvers about work and such. oops.
I guess if it doesn't effect my flying or communications then it doesn't matter from a check ride standpoint. He was really fun and interesting so I wanted to hear what he had to say. lol

PPL I think DPE was talking to be distracting. IFR I think DPE was just talking because the ride was a non-event and was passing time while we checked the boxes. The DPE talking is not always a distraction. Sometimes they just feel comfortable with your skills and enjoy talking aviation. In my case it was SEC football. In fact, I think it was more of a distraction to my DPE then it was to me. He didn't event notice one or two areas that my PPL DPE would have busted me on. One time he even said sorry, my bad for not being cleared, let's try that again and then went right on talking again. So in summary because I am rambling, DPE talking during check ride may be a good thing because that shows their confidence in your skills. Someone once told me they can tell if you pass or fail the first few minutes of your oral. You either know it or to don't.

My examiner's one critical comment of me was that I was my own distraction because I talked too much! :rolleyes: Of course my CFI had a good laugh at that (...although he talks WAY more than I do!). So, between my yapping and the strong winds that day, he didn't have to create any additional distractions. I think he tried early on by messing with my fuel pump switch for some unknown reason. He was having issues with his headset connection as well, which I wasn't sure was legit or not. At the end of the day, I kept my head on a swivel and maintained good situational awareness at all times, so he was satisfied.

Seriously, major kudos! I'm so happy for you!

Logged another hour of solo practice on Sunday, just trying to stay current while I figure out when I can do my long XC. I envy you guys that have the time to do multiple lessons per week. Had a pretty good session, did some slow flight, steep turns, I figured out my power on stalls need work. Its much easier when someone is telling you what to do. It got interesting on the way in, ATC gave me the crosswind runway, I was up for the challenge so I took it and made a good landing, then they proceeded to thoroughly confuse me. They gave me a heading to fly after the touch and go which was way off from the crossing runway downwind they wanted me to join, as I read back and comply I'm scratching my head. I fly far enough to where I'm getting ready to ask where I'm going but they give me my runway assignment and position behind incoming crj, I figure I'm far enough away I can make a long base entry, so I call that with something like 'left base for rw X #2 looking for traffic' they correct me, tell me to fly the downwind, I read back to confirm, I get going downwind, then they give me a heading to fly which is still a good 30 degrees off the downwind heading, a bit confused, I make that turn(forgetting the read back), ATC reminds me I have to read back instructions, ugh, blew that. Anyway after that it was a non-eventful looooooong base and looong straight in. I don't know why they kept giving me headings, usually it goes much smoother as they just give me a runway and make left or make right traffic. A simple 'Extend downwind we'll call base' would have worked in this case. I even reviewed my recorded track later, what they were telling me still didn't make sense(so I wasn't crazy), maybe they just wanted to see me fly a triangular pattern.

Logged another hour of solo practice on Sunday, just trying to stay current while I figure out when I can do my long XC. I envy you guys that have the time to do multiple lessons per week. Had a pretty good session, did some slow flight, steep turns, I figured out my power on stalls need work. Its much easier when someone is telling you what to do. It got interesting on the way in, ATC gave me the crosswind runway, I was up for the challenge so I took it and made a good landing, then they proceeded to thoroughly confuse me. They gave me a heading to fly after the touch and go which was way off from the crossing runway downwind they wanted me to join, as I read back and comply I'm scratching my head. I fly far enough to where I'm getting ready to ask where I'm going but they give me my runway assignment and position behind incoming crj, I figure I'm far enough away I can make a long base entry, so I call that with something like 'left base for rw X #2 looking for traffic' they correct me, tell me to fly the downwind, I read back to confirm, I get going downwind, then they give me a heading to fly which is still a good 30 degrees off the downwind heading, a bit confused, I make that turn(forgetting the read back), ATC reminds me I have to read back instructions, ugh, blew that. Anyway after that it was a non-eventful looooooong base and looong straight in. I don't know why they kept giving me headings, usually it goes much smoother as they just give me a runway and make left or make right traffic. A simple 'Extend downwind we'll call base' would have worked in this case. I even reviewed my recorded track later, what they were telling me still didn't make sense(so I wasn't crazy), maybe they just wanted to see me fly a triangular pattern.

They were giving you vectors to keep you away from a much faster aircraft that was probably on an instrument approach. They don't necessarily bear much resemblance to pattern legs. Instrument approaches aren't necessarily associated with a specific runway, and don't have to end on runway heading.

They were giving you vectors to keep you away from a much faster aircraft that was probably on an instrument approach. They don't necessarily bear much resemblance to pattern legs. Instrument approaches aren't necessarily associated with a specific runway, and don't have to end on runway heading.
At least it makes sense to someone. I have been in the pattern many times with similar crj900, 757, etc. and they had not done that. It is an ATC training location so maybe they were trying out some procedures on me.

Thanks

Commence Operation "Attempt to Drink from Fire Hose"

Today I did my second full lesson, 1.3 hours, which involved the following:
Preflight
Taxi and Takeoff
Slow flight
Steep turns
Power off stalls
Instrument practice with foggles
Three Landings with pattern work

It was an intense day.

I'm doing something wrong with the flare on landings. When I cross the threshold and chop the power, I'm settling very firmly onto the runway. Approach speed is 65 knots and I think I'm not pulling back enough in the flare and landing flat. Probably subconsciously not letting it bleed off the speed before touching down. Anytime care to let me know at what speed you actually touch down at with a 172?

I'm not overly worried about it. I'm thrilled at my progress overall with 2.8 hours in the logbook.

Last edited:

Preflight
Taxi and Takeoff
Slow flight
Steep turns
Power off stalls

It was an intense day.

I'm doing something wrong with the flare on landings. When I cross the threshold and chop the power, I'm settling very firmly onto the runway. Approach speed is 65 knots and I think I'm not pulling back enough in the flare and landing flat. Probably subconsciously not letting it bleed off the speed before touching down. Anytime care to let me know at what speed you actually touch down at with a 172?

I'm not overly worried about it. I'm thrilled at my progress overall with 2.8 hours in the logbook.

I can't speak to the 172 speeds, but in general when you're at the round out you're mostly going to be looking out the window anyway so I tend to think of the number on the dial as irrelevant at that point.
I had the exact same problem and it was a combination of not rounding out enough and not holding the roundout for long enough. The biggest contributor I found was focusing on the runway directly in front of the plane. Once I started shifting my eyes from the aiming point to down the runway everything got a lot better for me. Ideally you'll hold the flare until the stall horn and then a nice gentle plop on the mains at the slowest speed possible.
In order to do that as the plane gets slower and slower you're basically getting the nose steeper and steeper to "hold" the altitude in ground effect until just before or right at the stall.

As you've probably figured out it all takes practice. I would say I downright struggled with this for a long time, but now I feel like an old pro at 50 hours greasing them in landing after landing.

Preflight
Taxi and Takeoff
Slow flight
Steep turns
Power off stalls

It was an intense day.

You can also come in too hard by running out of lift too high, your stall horn would be blaring in that case. Your cfi will give you feedback. 2nd lesson in, yea, it'll just take lots of practice.

LOL already critiquing ATC! :frog:

You can also come in too hard by running out of lift too high, your stall horn would be blaring in that case. Your cfi will give you feedback. 2nd lesson in, yea, it'll just take lots of practice.

No stall horn so I suspect not pulling too early. He did say I was landing flat and needed more.

I'm certainly not worried about it, just trying to post flight critique myself.

I can't speak to the 172 speeds, but in general when you're at the round out you're mostly going to be looking out the window anyway so I tend to think of the number on the dial as irrelevant at that point.
I had the exact same problem and it was a combination of not rounding out enough and not holding the roundout for long enough. The biggest contributor I found was focusing on the runway directly in front of the plane. Once I started shifting my eyes from the aiming point to down the runway everything got a lot better for me. Ideally you'll hold the flare until the stall horn and then a nice gentle plop on the mains at the slowest speed possible.
In order to do that as the plane gets slower and slower you're basically getting the nose steeper and steeper to "hold" the altitude in ground effect until just before or right at the stall.

As you've probably figured out it all takes practice. I would say I downright struggled with this for a long time, but now I feel like an old pro at 50 hours greasing them in landing after landing.

I don't look anywhere inside at the flare. You might be onto something with the point I'm looking. I'll have to pay attention to where I look next lesson.

No stall horn so I suspect not pulling too early. He did say I was landing flat and needed more.

I'm certainly not worried about it, just trying to post flight critique myself.

I don't look anywhere inside at the flare. You might be onto something with the point I'm looking. I'll have to pay attention to where I look next lesson.

Sounds like classic student pilot under-flaring. Perhaps with a too-high approach speed (but I don't see any evidence of that).

Try to keep the airplane from touching down as long as you can, just inches above the runway. As you slow down, you'll need more and more pitch angle to stay off the deck. At the end, it will resemble the attitude you had when you rotated for takeoff. The stall horn will almost certainly go off just prior to touchdown if you do this right.

The problem can be caused by looking right over the nose of the aircraft, rather than further away, but I suspect it's simpler than that -- just letting the plane descend when it wants to rather than holding it off.

Exactly a year after my first lesson I picked up my Instrument rating last week. Excited as can be! Commercial here I come!!!!

YES! Way to go. :thumbsup: Why not a ME rating next? :yes: Or sea plane? :yes: Tailwheel endorsement? :yes:

YES! Way to go. :thumbsup: Why not a ME rating next? :yes: Or sea plane? :yes: Tailwheel endorsement? :yes:

Thanks! Next up is get checked out in something faster for some longer XC flights. Might go get checked out in a Cirrus or newer C182. I actually am going to get a tailwheel endorsement next month and I might do the seaplane for the hell of it! Waiting on ME since I don't plan on needing it until I get my commercial.

Last edited:
Sounds like classic student pilot under-flaring. Perhaps with a too-high approach speed (but I don't see any evidence of that).

Try to keep the airplane from touching down as long as you can, just inches above the runway. As you slow down, you'll need more and more pitch angle to stay off the deck. At the end, it will resemble the attitude you had when you rotated for takeoff. The stall horn will almost certainly go off just prior to touchdown if you do this right.

The problem can be caused by looking right over the nose of the aircraft, rather than further away, but I suspect it's simpler than that -- just letting the plane descend when it wants to rather than holding it off.

You nailed it!

I have three lessons this week as my wife is out of town so I took advantage of the extra free time.

As you stated, under flaring BIG TIME. I put part of the blame on my instructor and part on me. I have been performing very well according to him and on my second lesson (the last update) he let me do the three landings. I like and don't like that my instructor is very hands off. He lets me try anything I'm willing to try including the landings with just a quick demonstration on his part. I believe this is partially due to my quick learning on other maneuvers and partially his personality. I like it but at times like this when I had two poor landings in a row I would have hoped he coached me on it, rather, he just gave a quick "You need to flare more".

I'll give him credit though: yesterday we had my third lesson and he demonstrated the flare properly, a LOT more than I was doing and then let me do the next two. I was still a little flat but better.

We also did:
-Power off stalls-LOVE THESE and I'm good at them.
-Power on stalls-holy angle of attack batman. Can't ever see myself getting into a departure stall as that angle is insane but good to practice.
-More slow flight and steep turns
-1.3 hours in the book (Total = 4.0 hrs)

Today's lesson:
-Turns around a point-did very well with this although only about a 5 kts wind
-S Turns-took a little bit to get the feel for it but my instructor said I did well. Wants to see what I can do with more wind
-More steep turns-I struggle with the first one every time but did better today.
-2 landings-Proper flare (I think) with the stall horn on right at touchdown. The second one wasn't as good but I was high and we did a slip to get down. Haven't trained on these so the approach was unstable compared to others.
-Radio work - We're at an uncontrolled field right under a 1,200 ft Bravo shelf. Only real mistake I made was to forget to say the airport after the message.
-0.9 hours in the book (Total = 4.9 hrs)

Overall I feel AWESOME today. I really feel like I'm getting the hang of landings. My instructor is thinking I'll be ready for our first stage check soon which doesn't mean much as it's Part 61 and it's more of a best practice to confirm that another instructor doesn't see a deficiency that mine missed.

Also got to checkout an Eclipse 550 jet on the ramp. Much smaller than I expected from what I've read about them.

Had my third lesson this week, fifth total, and it was AWESOME!

Home base is KTPF - Peter O Knight just under a 1,200 foot shelf of Tampa's Class B and right on the water. It's really an awesome airport.

We had storms developing in our normal practice area which is to the South East but it looked great to the West so my instructor asked if I up for something different. Hell yea, that's why I'm doing this man.

So up we go, call up Tampa Approach and get "N1033A cleared into the Class B, maintain 2,500, maintain centerline of the East-West runway. Once you reach Clearwater stay on this frequency and we'll give you FF."

Schaaaweeet!

Right over the top of KTPA, watching those poor Southwest Airlines pilots plod along the taxi to the runways and I'm about to go to the beach.

Next stop, steep turns just off the coast of Clearwater, a couple power off stalls. Then back through the Bravo and get ”N1033A, descend VFR to below 1,200. Squawk VFR at 1,200. Have a good day."

Those Tampa Approach guys were awesome. Gave a few traffic call outs, super accommodating when we needed lower for clouds right over the airport. Nothing but a great experience.

To add to that, did 5 landings back at KTPF and nailed 3 of them. The other two it was quite bumpy and I came down flat.

1.2 hours in the book (6.1 total). Next lesson is Tuesday and it's the first stage check. Instructor says I'll do fine, only have to be able to do preflight, taxi, takeoff, stalls, and steep turns (may be forgetting something). Landings, ground reference, and radio work aren't expected.

Had my third lesson this week, fifth total, and it was AWESOME!

Home base is KTPF - Peter O Knight just under a 1,200 foot shelf of Tampa's Class B and right on the water. It's really an awesome airport.

We had storms developing in our normal practice area which is to the South East but it looked great to the West so my instructor asked if I up for something different. Hell yea, that's why I'm doing this man.

So up we go, call up Tampa Approach and get "N1033A cleared into the Class B, maintain 2,500, maintain centerline of the East-West runway. Once you reach Clearwater stay on this frequency and we'll give you FF."

Schaaaweeet!

Right over the top of KTPA, watching those poor Southwest Airlines pilots plod along the taxi to the runways and I'm about to go to the beach.

Next stop, steep turns just off the coast of Clearwater, a couple power off stalls. Then back through the Bravo and get ”N1033A, descend VFR to below 1,200. Squawk VFR at 1,200. Have a good day."

Those Tampa Approach guys were awesome. Gave a few traffic call outs, super accommodating when we needed lower for clouds right over the airport. Nothing but a great experience.

To add to that, did 5 landings back at KTPF and nailed 3 of them. The other two it was quite bumpy and I came down flat.

1.2 hours in the book (6.1 total). Next lesson is Tuesday and it's the first stage check. Instructor says I'll do fine, only have to be able to do preflight, taxi, takeoff, stalls, and steep turns (may be forgetting something). Landings, ground reference, and radio work aren't expected.
Nice, keep the updates coming, love to follow along on someone's journey. You might catch up with me if I drag mine out any longer(geesh, I hope not).

Nice, keep the updates coming, love to follow along on someone's journey. You might catch up with me if I drag mine out any longer(geesh, I hope not).

I'll definitely keep them coming. I'm finding it somewhat therapeutic to come home and write something down about the day. I can't believe I'm saying that as I've always despised writing anything, let along anything remotely similar to a diary. I see this a little bit like an extended notes section for my logbook.

Also, I don't think I'll catch up. It's going to start slowing down. HUGE project starting up at work that will likely require a fair bit of travel and I've been bleeding money faster than I want to.

Planning student solo long XC for Friday. I swear it feels like this much planning couldn't have gone into the Mars rover landing. Serenity now...(ala Castanza)

And I havent even gotten to the wind and weather yet.

I'll definitely keep them coming. I'm finding it somewhat therapeutic to come home and write something down about the day. I can't believe I'm saying that as I've always despised writing anything, let along anything remotely similar to a diary. I see this a little bit like an extended notes section for my logbook.
I'm a fairly new PPL (less than a year ago) so it's still kind of fresh in my mind. Some things that come to mind:
-study as much as possible at home, this will make you more prepared, and save you money by not having to do "ground lessons" with your CFI
-fly as often as possible to retain more of the lesson (When I flew once a week, the next lesson, I was always just a bit "rusty", (i.e. it took me a few minutes to get up to speed) and when I flew twice/week, it was like I didn't miss a beat)... it will also help with landings
-until you are consistent on the landings, the CFI will probably not let you solo... (remember, they don't need to be pretty, just safe)
-don't get discouraged if you can master something on the first (or second or third etc) try. Every pilot comes across something that they get stuck on for a little while, but with practice it eventually clicks and it's never an issue again. (For example, for me it was landings, I rounded out/"flared" too high and/or too much and would have hard plops onto the runway) But at some point, it all came together, and now it's not even a thought

Good luck, and have fun. It's supposed to be fun. Yes, it can be hard work and make you sweat (especially when ATC tells you about traffic less than mile at 12 o'clock, opposite direction, same altitude, but you don't see it) :eek:

Another update time!

Yesterday was the first stage check. It's a Part 61 school but they still do stage checks which I like. It was nice to go up with another instructor as he was able to explain a couple things differently that clicked better.

The plan was to fly for an hour and review:
Preflight inspection
Stalls
Radio communications
Takeoffs
Slow Flight
Slips
and Landings if I felt up to it

He was also supposed to watch for my proper usage of checklists, coordination, positive exchange of controls, trim, and crabbing for wind.

During the pre-flight, he asked a lot of "What is this? What is that? What are you looking for here?" type questions which were annoying but I understand why. What I found more useful was him pointing out different things that he has found in the past. I did learn a few things I didn't know: OAT probe mainly.

Then he showed me how to work the GPS (mainly for emergencies to find the nearest airport).

Then during the runup it ran rough on the Right mags so I leaned it aggressively and added throttle to try and burn it off. I think that surprised him. Only thing he pointed out was that I should probably use "Cessna XXXX" rather than "November XXXX" and I agree, gives a better idea of what to look for in the pattern.

Takeoff, cruise to the practice area all went smoothly and then we did turns, stalls, and slow flight. He said that I was one of the smoothest on the controls and had excellent feet (rudder usage). Yay! He then showed me how to really use the rudder during a power on stall to keep the wings from dipping (very nice) and had me hold a stall forever to show that it just bobs up and down in about a 500 fpm descent. Again, cool to see and required proper rudder usage to keep it level. Last but not least we did a slip from 3,500 ft to 1,000 ft at >2,000 fpm decent.

Said I did very well and asked if I'd seen the 737 parked in the middle of the field. "Nope" then let's go see it!
upload_2016-7-7_20-53-48.png

Back to the airport from there and he asked if I had done landings and we did a full stop. Again I was a little flat but it was the first one of the week.

All said and done, he said he was very happy with where I was at and would easily give me a passing grade. YAY!

1.0 hours for a total of 7.1

Last edited:
Today I went back up with my regular instructor and he asked if I wanted to try landings at another airport. "Why yes I do"

So off to KPCM we go to do three touch and gos. I seriously sucky suck the first one. VERY flat and sideloading the gear. Get back in the air and my instructor says "I won't hold that one against you cause it was the first one of the day and at a different airport. Let's make the next ones better." My reply: "They really can't be worse". And he says "Well, we could have been in the ditch". Made for some laughs and relaxation and the next two were much better.

Back to the home airport for 5 more landings, greased two of them and one was a very nice save where it was going to be pretty poor and I nailed it. Others were okay but not great. Did some go around practice and called it a night.

Was a great time as it wasn't about the maneuvers, just flying.

1.1 hours for a total of 8.2

Last edited:
It's not as cool as you guys that are soloing etc. but if it is ok to mention low flight hour experiences...

I feel like I should have decals like they did in WWI of downed planes but with downed instructors instead.
It's just circumstances. My first flight, first CFI, I met twice, first time to go over preflight check, but we switched from P-A28-161 over to an Aquila A211. It wasn't wasted time I got the idea which is general for all aircraft, but then learned the checklist for A211. But his work as a pilot took more time than he thought so he had to drop teaching.

I got CFI #2 on my second flight instruction hour. But he had problems with weekends, anticipating when he could be available, so I got number three who is an excellent, renowned pilot here. He does acro, and is great.

He rightly decided that the Aquila is too light of an aircraft for our weight, it was slow and sluggish, and recommended we go back to the Piper A28.

He went on vacation thought and I asked if I could fly with a temp, so I just now flew (for the first time) the A28. Kind of a different experience, less responsive but more stable.

So four flights, with four different CFI's.

We spent this flight orienterering me to how level banking looks over the cowling. I don't have it yet. I get it for a little bit (easier for me banking left than right) and hope it will come. I can't think of a way to practice this without being up in a plane flying. The instructor meant (as I do, by instinct) that flight sims aren't going to help much. Also that is changes with W&B and altitude,(pressure altitude) etc. so hell...I've only had four hours up in a plane, three with another type. I like that they expect that I should get this, but I have such a long way to go. I love it.

Up until a while back I thought I couldn't fly until I passed my written, but it was just that I cannot solo until I do that. My ground school studies have suffered a little from my preparing for and studying flight instruction, so I got the message that I should pace this so I focus on ground school so I don't get ready to solo and have to wait a long time to be able to.

On the other hand, I love actually flying, don't mind if I have to pay a little extra for more flying time. Here in Norway in winter the daylight is short, and the weather unstable. I feel like I need to get flying Tim when I can now.

There is SO much to learn, and some is theory, where other can only be gotten with experience.

It's so great to fly though...it just makes me at peace with the world. Back to the books..

Did he say how it got there? Interesting. Where is the 737 located, general area OK.

I forgot that part of it. It's a training facility for Hillsborough County Sheriffs Department.

According to Google the address is:
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) - Practical Training Site
14063 County Road 39 South
Lithia, FL 33547
https://goo.gl/maps/BwhYKHFoQ9o

No idea how it got there, I don't know if it's a "real" plane or just a prop but it was strange to see from the air.

I actually drive by this place everyday on my commute. It's mostly used for their firearms training and qualifications. Super busy place but I don't know what else they use it for. My neighbor works for the Sheriff so if I remember I'll ask him if he's been there and what the deal is with it.

Looked it up and it's the tactical training center. It appears to be a 737; Probably use it for training for hostage and terrorist training I would imagine. Must have trucked in in there I would guess.

Back