So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Yea first week was indoc and this past week was genera subjects. We have 9 days of systems with the final exam and end of ground on the 20th. It's actually very interesting. Just a lot of information to absorb.
Learning can be very interesting. I'm sure it was due to my prior knowledge that made class boring. I knew all the limitations prior to showing up. 100% on systems exam and didn't even study once. But if it was new info for me I'm sure It would have been more engaging. You'll find its very easy for a guy that studies and likes to learn. I wont even wish you good luck since you won't need it. You'll have no trouble because you are very motivated.

Learning can be very interesting. I'm sure it was due to my prior knowledge that made class boring. I knew all the limitations prior to showing up. 100% on systems exam and didn't even study once. But if it was new info for me I'm sure It would have been more engaging. You'll find its very easy for a guy that studies and likes to learn. I wont even wish you good luck since you won't need it. You'll have no trouble because you are very motivated.
I'll still need the luck! Got a 96 on the General Subjects test today. Systems starts tomorrow!

Whelp, I passed the PPL written today - 85%. Which is 10 points below where I was scoring in my practice tests (Dauntless groundschool for PC). Oh well, I know for a fact I spaced on at least 3 really easy questions (Just plain remembered the wrong thing perfectly...). Now if I can just get back in the air - my instructor's medical lapsed, and his plane is in maintenance. I'm considering joining the local flying club and at least trying out a different instructor for a few lessons. (20.5hr, very near solo)

Checkride for my ppl on the 13th. 42 total hours logged. It took me a little longer to get it all done but it's been a heck of a ride

After months of little progress due to work and weather, I finally had a solid week. Knocked out my written with a 95%, then finally got to do my solo xc (flew up to Maine, had lunch, made some pilot pals, and flew back). Planning the longer xc for next week. I don't want to do the standard 150 mile triangle, so aiming for a four state tour... up to NH, then down to southern tip of CT, over to RI, then back up to MA. Should have the last of the night flight stuff checked off the list next week. And speaking of checks... my checkride is scheduled for June 14th... one year, almost to the day... from my first Discovery Flight. Can't believe I'm almost done!

My instructor finally got his medical back from the FAA today, so weather permitting I can get back into flying next week (This weekend's weather sucks here...). Of course the last two weeks were beautiful. But oh well. My goal is to really slam this for the rest of the summer/fall and if possible shoot for my checkride by September. Still waiting for MY medical (Applied 3/29, FAA had all documentation scanned into their systems on 4/8.. and now we wait - I do call every week. Still "with the reviewer"). Can't solo till I get it, so I instead intend to do numerous "supervised solos" (I.e. instructor be quiet and we debrief after), and start working on flight planning and dual XC while we wait.

So since I have been lurking for about 6 weeks, I figure it is time to introduce myself.

Name is Loren, I am a bit old to start this but I start ground school next week. I am in a 141 program and cannot wait to start this adventure! I spend 20 years in the Army, as a nurse, paratrooper and other things and just need a change of scenery from the inside of a hospital. I am absolutely new to the aviation world and cannot wait to learn from this firehose!

I have wanted to be in the front end of the aircraft for a long time and I finally have the resources to be able to do this, and I am super pumped! My lead CFI is a retired F4 pilot and most all of the instructors in the school have >5,000 hours. I have met with all the instructors and feel really good about them. I will be learning in C172 and Symphony 160.

I did my introductory flight in the Symphony. I was really really surprised at how responsive the aircraft was to control input. Kind of surprised me at first, but with the CFI, I got comfortable quick. The only thing I am not looking forward to is south Texas in the summer and flying a bug smasher, I don't like to sweat lol. (jk);)

I will keep y'all posted on my progress.

Name is Loren, I am a bit old to start this but I start ground school next weekQUOTEsometimes :)rolleyes:

No you're not Loren! Welcome to the flying world. Sounds like you have the bug already. I'm also retired (USAF) and a CFI, be happy to answer any questions as will anyone on here, some very opinionated :rolleyes: but that's POA. Are you training at a military aero club or civilian 141? Again welcome and good luck. Oh, you will sweat, even if it were winter! :D

Thank you for the warm welcome! I will most definitely definitely be picking your brain!

The 141 is thru a civilian college, but being San Antonio, most of us in the class (all 4) are former military. It is an accelerated program, so if I am on track, I should have PPL by August. So that means A LOT of stick time over the next few weeks, and I am pumped! I am a bit reserved about learning all the new lingo and acronyms, took me years in the Army to learn the ones we used all the time..... but I got it. Plain english? lol

I have been reading POA and yes I agree, some are very opinionated.......but lots of great info!

So since I have been lurking for about 6 weeks, I figure it is time to introduce myself.

Name is Loren, I am a bit old to start this but I start ground school next week. I am in a 141 program and cannot wait to start this adventure! I spend 20 years in the Army, as a nurse, paratrooper and other things and just need a change of scenery from the inside of a hospital. I am absolutely new to the aviation world and cannot wait to learn from this firehose!

I have wanted to be in the front end of the aircraft for a long time and I finally have the resources to be able to do this, and I am super pumped! My lead CFI is a retired F4 pilot and most all of the instructors in the school have >5,000 hours. I have met with all the instructors and feel really good about them. I will be learning in C172 and Symphony 160.

I did my introductory flight in the Symphony. I was really really surprised at how responsive the aircraft was to control input. Kind of surprised me at first, but with the CFI, I got comfortable quick. The only thing I am not looking forward to is south Texas in the summer and flying a bug smasher, I don't like to sweat lol. (jk);)

I will keep y'all posted on my progress.
I took my first lesson at 48. I trained Part 61, so I don't have much knowledge of 141 ops. The acronyms and mnemonics can be tough sometimes, but look on the bright side, as soon as you get your ticket you get to forget them all! :) You are going to sweat, like mscard88 said, regardless of the season. Be prepared for your lessons and you will do just fine.

Name is Loren, I am a bit old to start this but I start ground school next week.

Never too old. A friend of mine through the 99s just got her PPL at 70. Another woman in the group is 82... still actively flies aerobatics in her Decathalon! Welcome! And congrats on the new adventure :)

My status update - knocking out the last of the night flight requirement tonight. Then pushing through the long solo xc on Friday. Hitting up four states - NH, RI, CT and MA. Very excited about it! Much less nervous than I was for the shorter solo xc. After that... it's just practice, practice, practice for the checkride.

Returning student in the market for a cherokee to go from zero to hero in. Lol.

Taking my PPL written on Wednesday. Really close to soloing (again....12 years later).

I haven't posted in a while so I figure I better let you know where I'm at.
I'm just shy of 36 hours now and have one more XC flight scheduled later this week with my CFI. If all goes well I should get my solo XC endorsement and will just need to get my 5 hours of solo XC in and I'll be ready for my check ride.

We had a little excitement last week on my night XC flight. It was a wonderful weather night and we were going to fly from Lincoln, NE (KLNK) to Council Bluffs (KCBF) which took us right over Omaha so my wife decided to come along. On the way back from KCBF we passed Offutt AFB just to the north and there was an Air Force RC135 Heavy on final about three miles ahead of us. He crossed at what appeared to be just below our altitude and we got the "caution wake turbulence" from Approach. Both my CFI and I felt we were fine because he was so far out and appeared lower. Welllll, that was a bad idea. Sure enough a minute or so later we got tossed around like a basketball and crossed directly through both vortices and it was extremely violent. I had my seatbelt cinched pretty good so I didn't slam the ceiling but my wife got a good whack on the head (no injury fortunately). Talk about an adrenaline rush. Sadly my first thought wasn't about my safety and it wasn't about my wife's safety. My thought was that my wife was getting ready to scream "Get me out of the *#%*$*$$#@&#@* airplane, now" and she was going to make me stop all lessons.... noooooo

I reluctantly asked her if she was OK and she laughed and said "that wasn't so bad". She then said she has way too many trips scheduled for a little turbulence to slow us down. haha, I love this woman.

It was definitely a good learning experience for me and my CFI both and wake turbulence is no joke. Fortunately we just crossed at a perpendicular angle so it was just severely bumpy. I would not want to be spiraling into that from behind at any altitude.

Slogging through written test prep, been putting it off, but now that I have more hours than some certificated pilots, I suppose its time. It feels like a hazing ritual. Here, memorize all these regs that you will only ever need to look up as needed. How often do you have to repack a chair type parachute in a blimp if you're going to be pitching up or down greater than 30 degrees?

Passed my PPL written today. Still baffled on a few I missed but score was good enough. Hopefully close to soloing and then cross countries.

going up Friday to prep for stage 2, going up Saturday for solo CC, then Monday for stage 2 check with another instructor (all hopefully).

If all that works, i'll be reviewing for checkride and stage 3 after that!

PS, also just got into a buying club after a year on the wait list, so i'll go up Friday AM for an insurance checkout on the two club 172's), so cheap flying for me on the horizon! Now I just have to get to (and pass) checkride.

Soloed for the first time in a Skycatcher Monday. Training for Sport Pilot.

Attachments

• IMG_8181.jpg
    IMG_8181.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 10
IFR mock check ride scheduled for Friday. DPE contacted and scheduled and flight plan received. Finished it tonight and will use it for the mock check ride as well. Apparently my schools chief instructor has more confidence in me then myself. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be planning my first IFR trip that doesn't have an instructor involved.

Started May 18, 2015 and after 12.1 in the books, the weather and only having 1 DA40 to schedule seat time in was being checked out months in advance I quit in July. Now I have started again after they purchased another DA40 to spread the time out on so I don't get so frustrated with the schedule. Started training again after 9 months and finally did my solo last Sunday May 22, feels good and feel like I am going to be able to finish this time. It only took me 4 hours to catch back up which was faster than I thought it would take considering my first flight on May 1st felt like I had never been in the plane before but after that first hour it all came back. This forum helped me get the courage to try again, amazing how much help you all give to lurkers that you don't even know are viewing these pages. Thanks to all

IFR mock check ride scheduled for Friday. DPE contacted and scheduled and flight plan received. Finished it tonight and will use it for the mock check ride as well. Apparently my schools chief instructor has more confidence in me then myself. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be planning my first IFR trip that doesn't have an instructor involved.
Nice, didn't you just get your Private like a month ago? When do you sleep?

Started May 18, 2015 and after 12.1 in the books, the weather and only having 1 DA40 to schedule seat time in was being checked out months in advance I quit in July. Now I have started again after they purchased another DA40 to spread the time out on so I don't get so frustrated with the schedule. Started training again after 9 months and finally did my solo last Sunday May 22, feels good and feel like I am going to be able to finish this time. It only took me 4 hours to catch back up which was faster than I thought it would take considering my first flight on May 1st felt like I had never been in the plane before but after that first hour it all came back. This forum helped me get the courage to try again, amazing how much help you all give to lurkers that you don't even know are viewing these pages. Thanks to all
First post? Welcome to POA (as a non-lurker). Keep us updated on your progress. Oh yea, and congrats on the SOLO!

After weeks of the weather turning bad every time I had a flight scheduled, I was finally able to solo today! I thought I'd missed my chance though, after dropping my CFI off at the FBO...

I knew Comm 1 was inop, but Comm 2 had been fine for the short trip from my home airport to KCXO. However, When I started the plane back up and tried to tune the ground frequency, the knob came off in my hand!

I shut down, walked in to tell my CFI and see if I could find an Allen wrench to put it back on and tighten the set screw. CFI didn't have any tools, but had a leatherman that I was able to use to tune the radio. Crisis averted and first solo complete! It's a great feeling!

Got in a nice cross country flight on Friday morning with my CFI. We went from KLNK (Lincoln, NE) <--> KSLN (Salina, KS) <--> KSTJ (St. Joseph, MO) <--> KLNK (Lincoln, NE). It was about 380 miles and took 3.5 hours total.

The weather has been sketchy all week with lots of convective activity in the midwest. However, a nice window opened up for us on Friday morning with a broken layers around 1500' AGL and higher level overcast. Up until now I've only been flying in full overcast at higher levels or severe clear so it was very helpful for decision making purposes. My CFI was able to quiz me along the way about various weather we encountered and we had to alter our altitude a few times to get below or above cloud layers. I managed to snap a couple pictures on the way out and back. It was truly a beautiful day to be flying.
I'm now at 39.3 hours and just have my solo cross country time left (5 hours) until I'm ready for my check ride. I'll likely do a pre-check ride with the senior flight instructor prior to the actual one as well.

IMG_4623.jpg IMG_4621.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool day. Did my first solo XC today. 59NM from RNT to BVS. First time on flight following, ona flight plan, yadda.

very unremarkable except for two things.

1. at BVS, i came in, GREASED the landing (one of the 5 best I've ever made) and then took back off (touch and go). then I remembered that I had actually planned to cancel old, open new flight plan, so I relanded, full stop, taxied off, took care of administrative work, and then flew home.
2. approaching home, cancelled flight following, switched from approach to the practice area frequency. I had traffic about a mile behind me and 200' above and they were NOT on the practice frequency. I knew they were also returning to RNT, but had no idea if they could actually see me, so after multiple radio attempts, i did a quick descent from 2,500 to 1,500 and then did a left 360 to get eyes on them. after spotting them positively, i picked up ATIS and then clearance into my home base.

I talked to the pilot and instructor in the FBO after the flight and they had me the whole time and were still on with approach, so no danger, but at the time, I didn't KNOW that they had me in sight and would avoid me by passing me on the right.

greased that landing at home base too. awesome day to fly.

Stage 2 check either Weds or Friday and then both CC's next weekend.

Good news/Bad news I guess -

Bad news: Medical is going to be at least weeks, if not months out. Taked to Dr. Bruce and he got through to them and found that I'm "in the top 400" in the particular examiner's queue. And it has to be this examiner due to the type of issues I'm dealing with. So, likely going to be a while before I can do any solo work.

Good news: I'm totally ready for solo, and spent last lesson with the instructor in "solo mode". (I.e. He would be totally silent except between flights when he would tell me what he wanted me to do for the next go-round). And I had zero bad landings, and greased nearly all of them- completely "by myself" with no input from him. Even better, we practiced engine-out procedures, and I greased those too - even the one where he surprised me and pulled the power to idle on downwind (just after turning downwind) and said "you lost your engine" and just let me figure it out. (I landed on 6 after taking off from 33, but it was interesting being put in the "oh ****" mode unexpectedly and really HAVING to figure it out)

Next lesson more emergency procedures, short field landing/to, and soft field landing/to, and more of me running "supervised solo" mode and doing the short CC from home base to practice airport and back totally "by myself". Next week I want to plan for a dual CC (a real one, with the full planning and over 50miles) to a different airport.

It's great to finally feel like "I know how to do this" and not be behind, or thinking about every detail. "I can fly this thing and land it". I guess it's like anything else, eventually the muscle memory and visualization just take over and I now feel like I'm doing a lot of the stuff on "automatic" while I'm supervising myself (weird but I guess like a kid learning to ride a bike).

Last edited:
It's great to finally feel like "I know how to do this" and not be behind, or thinking about every detail. "I can fly this thing and land it".

It's a great feeling. I still find myself smiling on the drive home after a lesson thinking about how I feel like a pilot. :)

btw, good luck on the medical front. I have a tinnitus disability and knew it would take a while to get through so I started my medical as soon as I took my first lesson. I called the FAA examiners office to make sure they got my deferral and they were very helpful explaining the process. I was getting the "you're in line" speech for a month or so as well but when I knew I was a week or two away from solo I called them back and told them I was ready to solo and the nice lady hand walked it over to the doc and got it signed right away. I got it just about a week before the weather lined up for my first solo so all was well.

Knocked off the written for SP today. 93%. Good to have it behind me. Planning for two flying sessions tomorrow.

Knocked off the written for SP today. 93%. Good to have it behind me. Planning for two flying sessions tomorrow.
Way to put the pressure on, I have mine scheduled in the morning. Lol
I'm thinking the 90's will be a stretch for me. o_O

Yay I passed the PPL written and I most definitely didn't get over a 90%... haha
I spent quite a bit of time studying, but they had a lot of BS questions on there with multiple "could be right" answers where you had to pick the "best" answer. I hate those kinds of tests.

I have 5 hours of solo XC next week, a mock check ride, and then the actual check ride left. Almost done. :cool:

Yay I passed the PPL written and I most definitely didn't get over a 90%... haha
I spent quite a bit of time studying, but they had a lot of BS questions on there with multiple "could be right" answers where you had to pick the "best" answer. I hate those kinds of tests.

I have 5 hours of solo XC next week, a mock check ride, and then the actual check ride left. Almost done. :cool:
Studied my ass off for the written. I was consistently getting mid 90's on study buddy practice tests. My instructor grilled me for two weeks......I was confident.......I made a 77.....go figure. All you have to do is pass. Good job!!!

Back