So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Did my first self grounding today. I was planning to go up solo this afternoon and realized I've been having a very stressful week at work and haven't gotten much sleep the past few days.
The little voice in the back of my head kept repeating the PAVE and IMSAFE acronyms over and over until I realized that the Pilot in this situation was in no mental shape to be flying.

The interesting part is that I was really looking forward to going flying as a stress reliever/escape from my week, but in reality I don't think that's a very good idea. hah

Did my first self grounding today. I was planning to go up solo this afternoon and realized I've been having a very stressful week at work and haven't gotten much sleep the past few days.
The little voice in the back of my head kept repeating the PAVE and IMSAFE acronyms over and over until I realized that the Pilot in this situation was in no mental shape to be flying.

The interesting part is that I was really looking forward to going flying as a stress reliever/escape from my week, but in reality I don't think that's a very good idea. hah

Good decision. ;)

Well sign up at Gold Seal and you will hear about this type of thing sooner rather than later!

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard this before.
I'm almost at 30 hours, so I figured I'd be taking it in the next month or two anyways, but I will talk to my CFI about getting it on the schedule sooner rather than later. :)

You can take the written any time. I took both my PPL and my IFR written before I started training to get them out of the way. Go ahead and get a test prep and study for a few days, knock it out, then focus on flying.

I had another 1.0 under the new limiting device today. It was pretty overwhelming. LOC 9R into SFB, missed then ILS (turned into a LOC, GS didn't work) 25 into ORL. The DME went out just about when I got to DIXIT. My tracking was all over the place and the radio I mostly did but got behind on comms a couple of times.

We flew up to Spruce Creek for breakfast (the instructor paying me back for replacing the cable in his "vintage" Gulf Coast headset). Had a couple of (to me) close calls with incoming traffic on the way out of Spruce Creek before I called approach and started into SFB, so I was a bit rattled when we started. I think that had much to do with what followed. Started LOC 9R into SFB and the frequency was very busy. Almost every time I spoke I'd hear "Full call sign." from the right seat. I got pretty stressed and wandered down the LOC with no glide slope. Went missed, and got vectored out. I set up all the radios, etc. while flying vectors to intercept the ILS 25 into ORL. I got all that right and then realized we hadn't gotten the ATIS. I reached over to tune the radio and heard "If you reach right you'll steer right." from the right seat. But I hadn't steered right. Then I got sort of flustered and wandered off the LOC, realized the GS wasn't working and started checking the DME. It had been working fine but just about at the fix, it went blank. "Call approach and tell them it's out and you need them to call your fixes." So I did. I was past the first fix. Descended as fast as I could (reasonably) ~1000ft/min. Leveled off cleanly at 1500 and the DME came back on. There was somebody both in front and behind on the approach and I'm managing to S turn down the LOC. I was not down to the DA by the FAF but once out from under the hood, I did a nice cross wind landing with full flaps and stall chirping. Best part of the whole flight.

This whole time was very stressful.

John

Update (but a boring one in the company here): After a good deal of online ground school, I double checked and found out I CAN fly before passing the written exam. It was a mixup, they told me I could not SOLO before the exam is passed...but with a CFI I can start flying lessons any time.

So last friday was my first flight. We practiced straight and level, I got to take us to the practice area, bank, showed and then let me do a slip by using only ailerons, then only rudder. Then practiced straight and level, then trimming to cruise at a given altitude. On the way back it was turbulent and I did get a little queasy, even though I had the stick. He took over to approach and from there on, the plane ahead of us reported a deer by the runway, but thought the deer seemed docile and not spooked so it ought to be ok. He took it in with some decent (I think...but what do I know?) crosswind and made a beautiful landing. We saw the deer finally off to the side (60-80 feet from the runway) munching on grass or something.

As I grew up IN small planes with my dad, but hadn't flown in many many years, I got this huge grin on my face (I didn't even realize, but my CFI took a few photos before I realized it and when I saw them I saw how happy I looked) as soon as my instructor took off. I did ok on the trimming when we were around 3,500 feet, but later on was having problems. Instructor thinks maybe I had started trimming, but then readjusted the stick wrong, with nose down.

I had a great time! Next time we do the same and add co-ordinated banks. Also he wants me to start getting used to using the radio. I haven't had that yet in my ground school, but will give it a shot.

This whole time was very stressful
John

I remember one time when I was frustrated w/ a VOR holding and things not going well. I whipped off the hood and told the CFI I had enough for today. You're going to have days like you had. Seems to just snowball when you become frustrated or whatever w/ the way the lesson is going. That's when the CFI should recognize you've reached overload and call it a day, if not you can. You'll be fine.

I remember one time when I was frustrated w/ a VOR holding and things not going well. I whipped off the hood and told the CFI I had enough for today. You're going to have days like you had. Seems to just snowball when you become frustrated or whatever w/ the way the lesson is going. That's when the CFI should recognize you've reached overload and call it a day, if not you can. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm familiar with the saturation frustration. I had similar moments during my PPL training. I know I'll get there. It's just very overwhelming when it happens. As some of this stuff gets automatic, the load will lessen and then I'll cope with more.

Update (but a boring one in the company here): After a good deal of online ground school, I double checked and found out I CAN fly before passing the written exam. It was a mixup, they told me I could not SOLO before the exam is passed...but with a CFI I can start flying lessons any time.

So last friday was my first flight. We practiced straight and level, I got to take us to the practice area, bank, showed and then let me do a slip by using only ailerons, then only rudder. Then practiced straight and level, then trimming to cruise at a given altitude. On the way back it was turbulent and I did get a little queasy, even though I had the stick. He took over to approach and from there on, the plane ahead of us reported a deer by the runway, but thought the deer seemed docile and not spooked so it ought to be ok. He took it in with some decent (I think...but what do I know?) crosswind and made a beautiful landing. We saw the deer finally off to the side (60-80 feet from the runway) munching on grass or something.

As I grew up IN small planes with my dad, but hadn't flown in many many years, I got this huge grin on my face (I didn't even realize, but my CFI took a few photos before I realized it and when I saw them I saw how happy I looked) as soon as my instructor took off. I did ok on the trimming when we were around 3,500 feet, but later on was having problems. Instructor thinks maybe I had started trimming, but then readjusted the stick wrong, with nose down.

I had a great time! Next time we do the same and add co-ordinated banks. Also he wants me to start getting used to using the radio. I haven't had that yet in my ground school, but will give it a shot.

A slip with no rudder? Thats a new one on me. I guess he was just showing you uncoordinated turns? I usually think of a slip as in intentional slip where you kick in a good deal of rudder and cross control with ailerons. Glad you enjoyed your first lesson.

A slip with no rudder? Thats a new one on me. I guess he was just showing you uncoordinated turns? I usually think of a slip as in intentional slip where you kick in a good deal of rudder and cross control with ailerons. Glad you enjoyed your first lesson.

Maybe I'm wrong. Mainly the second part was keeping ailerons straight, using only rudder, seeing that the plane started banking but nose going down. It did it. I think I understand it is the yaw that causes the one wing to go forward, which gives it more lift and drag, and starts a roll.

I am certain that the CFI had the "other" control. Student has ailerons, instructor has the rudder and vice versa. I actually did some of that same drill Saturday with my CFII.

Maybe I'm wrong. Mainly the second part was keeping ailerons straight, using only rudder, seeing that the plane started banking but nose going down. It did it. I think I understand it is the yaw that causes the one wing to go forward, which gives it more lift and drag, and starts a roll.

I think a rudder only turn would be a skid and an aileron(no rudder) a slip, at least temporarily.

In the sim, all 4 flight displays failed. The ILS with Stby display went perfect. Almost finished with training

It's just very overwhelming when it happens. As some of this stuff gets automatic, the load will lessen and then I'll cope with more.

Exactly this. As you do it more, you need less of your conscious brain to perform the basic functions, leaving you with more mental capacity for other things. This is just a process that takes time. You are learning to juggle five balls at once. It's hard until the point when it isn't.

Uh no ... no such thing as "airline student pilots".....why don't you just start a new hire thread...

Last edited:
This is just great, I bought a 2016 study guide with supplement last week, good for a month.
It is guaranteed that you will see some new/changed questions. But if you understand the material, you'll still do just fine. Nothing conceptual will change - just some of the questions themselves. You will definitely see changes in VOR questions and any questions that use a VFR Sectional figure. Know those topics and don't waste time trying to memorize answers.

I turned 100 today!! I know that is probably not a milestone that anyone tracks but as I am building time to finish up my IFR training, it kinda felt great!! Got an hour of actual today and wow, was it amazing. Had 2.4 hours of actual prior today but this was the most intense I have had yet. What a confidence booster!!!

Brand new student checking in.

I just signed up yesterday for sport pilot training with First Landings in Apopka, FL. I'm starting my ground school studying now and I'm scheduled for my first flight on May 28. I'm looking forward to learning from the folks on this forum, so all advice will be appreciated!

Brand new student checking in.

I just signed up yesterday for sport pilot training with First Landings in Apopka, FL. I'm starting my ground school studying now and I'm scheduled for my first flight on May 28. I'm looking forward to learning from the folks on this forum, so all advice will be appreciated!

Welcome. I grew up in central Florida and know Apopka well. What kind of airplane will you be flying?

Tecnam Bravo. They have 8 planes total, and 3 Bravos. Having multiple planes reduces the chances of losing lessons because a plane is down for maintenance or something.

Where in central FL did you grow up? I'm in Haines City, used to live in Winter Springs. My wife grew up in Winter Park. I grew up (well, that's debatable) in Jacksonville.

I came from one of those Winter towns, too. Winter Haven. What's that, 10 miles from Haines City?

2 more weeks of ground school on the CRJ then off to FTDs.
That must be terrible. I did 2 total weeks of ground and it was miserable. Maybe because I knew most of the material already, but 2 weeks in a class is too long when all you want to do is fly.

That must be terrible. I did 2 total weeks of ground and it was miserable. Maybe because I knew most of the material already, but 2 weeks in a class is too long when all you want to do is fly.
Yea first week was indoc and this past week was genera subjects. We have 9 days of systems with the final exam and end of ground on the 20th. It's actually very interesting. Just a lot of information to absorb.

Back