So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

I hope to always be a student of flying but I'm officially not a Student Pilot any longer, passed my check ride Monday and have my temp certificate until I get the plastic beauty in a few weeks.

I've been working on my PPL for about a month and a half. I'm 13 hours in (or something like that).

Passed the written exam last night, got a couple wrong that I know I shouldn't have but given how my day at work went yesterday I should be glad I even passed :D

The place where I took the test gave me a certificate for a free half hour in their flight simulator just for taking the test at their place, I may have to try that out sometime if we get a run of crappy weather.

Passed the written exam last night, got a couple wrong that I know I shouldn't have but given how my day at work went yesterday I should be glad I even passed :D

The place where I took the test gave me a certificate for a free half hour in their flight simulator just for taking the test at their place, I may have to try that out sometime if we get a run of crappy weather.

Congrats on passing the test! From what I've heard, you can count on those missed questions being part of your oral. Awesome deal on the simulator time. I'd make good use of that for sure. If you're an Instrument student, save it for a sunny day. ;)

I'm going for my PPL and have 72 hrs so far. Soloed back in April and missed about a month's worth of flying in July due to the plane's annual & traveling out-of-state. But I've been pretty consistent otherwise.

I have 0.4 hrs of solo xc left, and am going to take care of that tomorrow morning. Then it's just 2.4 more hrs of simulated instrument & the checkride prep. Luckily, I got the written exam out of the way last year! I just can't believe I'm so close to actually getting my license. There are even days when I feel like a "real" pilot. :)

I'm now another student... took about a month off but now I'm an instrument instructor student. :D

PS, congrats to everyone on their accomplishments recently :)

Student, again
Working on CFI, CFII and CP ASES on time permitting basis. Fun, head about to explode

1st xc yesterday! coupl'a things I noticed:

-I don't like (or maybe just have to get used to) knee boards. I have a small board and still thought it got in my way.
-fumbling around with all my paperwork/maps meant my head was down a lot. normally I'm 90% outside 10% inside, while yesterday I felt like it was the opposite.
-I totally botched my calls flying into a towered field. not sure why I did that, my radio work is usually pretty good.
-I kept "looking for big cities" to navigate by. being a jersey boy living in charlotte, apparently anything with a traffic light is a big city lol. I got a few good laughs when one of these 'big cities' was pointed out to me. I was like "WHERE is the big city?!?"
-on the last leg of the trip we were flying directly into the sun and I could not see jack squat. nuthin. just tried to keep my heading but I didn't like it.
-I had a blast, lots of fun and a good taste of what flying is like OUTSIDE the dang pattern!!

just got my instrument rating this past saturday at 150 hours. looking to start commercial training soon

First BFR tomorrow. Had a very sweet offer of tailwheel training for the cost of fuel only. Will probably start soon.

Checkride prep! :goofy:

Finally got the last solo XC done this weekend -- beautiful ride to KCNO, down to KSDM and back to KMYF...had to spend an hour doing touch n' gos at KSDM as I had to burn time off the XC clock (damn that 180hp SP is fast with only one person on board). Heading down south I had a perfect view of the CB clouds forming over the mountains to the East...felt sorry for the guy in the Bo heading to KPSP (SoCal wished him "good luck" when he said he was going to try to fly around the clouds).

-I don't like (or maybe just have to get used to) knee boards. I have a small board and still thought it got in my way.
-fumbling around with all my paperwork/maps meant my head was down a lot. normally I'm 90% outside 10% inside, while yesterday I felt like it was the opposite.

It's a pain in the a**, but fortunately only for a few rides. Once the windbag is out of the cockpit, you'll have a nice, big, empty seat to put the charts and kneeboard on when not in use (I borrowed a nifty clamp that you can strap onto the passenger side yoke and that will hold your charts within easy reach).

I also found it useful to prepare a one page summary table with all landmarks, headings, VOR frequencies & identifiers etc. so that you don't have to fool around with the chart every time you dial in a new VOR. I found that the more prep I did before getting into the plane, the less "heads down" time once up in the air.

Survived my Private Pilot Check-ride this morning. I'm officially a Private Pilot. :) Guess the real learning starts now :)

Survived my Private Pilot Check-ride this morning. I'm officially a Private Pilot. :) Guess the real learning starts now :)

"Oh, hi honey, how was your day?"

"Oh you know, the usual, busy day at work, I picked up some milk on my way home, got the car washed, and oh by the way, I'm a freaking private pilot!!!!!"

I mean come on, don't you know your PPL ticket allows you your very own "I passed" thread?

Seriously though, congrats!

Last edited:
"Oh, hi honey, how was your day?"

"Oh you know, the usual, busy day at work, I picked up some milk on my way home, got the car washed, and oh by the way, I'm a freaking private pilot!!!!!"

I mean come on, don't you know your PPL ticket allows you your very own "I passed" thread?

Seriously I though, congrats!

lol.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks brother. :wink2: You're next!!

lol.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks brother. :wink2: You're next!!

Yep, did more hood work and 'unusual attitudes' tonight and got my 'assignment' for my 2nd dual xc which we're hoping to do Wednesday eve. Still got a ways to go though.

Long solo XC today. MSN-PDC-MRJ-MSN. 3.0 on the Hobbs and also refueled my own plane for the first time. I made a few very minor mistakes and at one point I thought the engine might melt due to high oil temp but other than that I can say I was very satisfied how well it went. All that's left is the written, 7 night landings and the practical test.

My CFI got a job with the FAA just as we were getting going. I am desperately looking for the right CFI in the Detroit area. My '74 Archer II is waiting for me at KVLL.

Presolo student with just over 39 hours going for the sport pilot certificate. My CFI says that I am close to soloing. Going to knock out my first solo before I go back to college for the fall semester, take my written test sometime during the fall semester, and make a mad dash for the finish line of my training in the winter break by hopefully trying to fly as often as I can during winter break.

This is an interesting statistic point for all of those considering SP because "it's only 25 hours".

This is an interesting statistic point for all of those considering SP because "it's only 25 hours".

I think it's natural to be drawn to the shortest distance to a goal. I wonder how many PPL candidates would pursue it if the required hours were 80 or 100 instead of 35 or 40? I've read posts on this site from Pilots bragging on how soon they soloed or how they got their PPL in the minimum required hours. I think if the mission fits and the person can fly the plane, it's no different for a Sports Pilot achieving his or her goal in the least amount of hours. As you point out, most won't meet their goal in the minimum hours, but it's nice to have the option to.

Bumpasarurs.

Did my long XC last Tuesday. It went pretty well, I did make a few small mistakes but nothing too bad. Fueled my own plane for the first time. Other than a slight scare with the oil temp which turned out to be un-warranted, I was pleased with the trip.

I am at the point where I am consistently getting 93-98% on 60-question practice tests, so the written is Thursday.

Once that's done, I need 7 night landings to a full stop and I will have met all the minimum requirements. I'm at about 43 hours at the moment. Started checkride practice on Monday, and I figure I'll need around 10-12 more hours of flight time to polish and perfect everything before the checkride.

How's everyone else coming along?

I felt better reading pre-solo and checkride numbers. Didn't solo until 40 hours, checkride at 90, just got my first BFR a few weeks ago from a CFI out in the boonies and learned a LOT. Next thing will probably be taildragger sign off since it takes less time than IFR and I am still paying off my PPL.

I've got all the requirements met except for the 3 hours of review before the test, spending a lot of time at night reading study guides for the oral test. My instructor said we'll schedule it for sometime in October when I feel ready. Pretty much only flying on the weekends now, I had been sneaking in an hour or two during the week solo after work but now by the time I can get to the airport its nearly dark.

You can get an endorsement to fly at night, it might give you a little extra time to get back from doing maneuvers after the official sunset.

I spent most of my time learning how to land. Everything else came pretty easy. It took me close to 60 hours to get my PPL. Since the laws of physics work the same for both types of planes, it would probably have taken me close to 60 hours to get my SP. :lol:

You can get an endorsement to fly at night, it might give you a little extra time to get back from doing maneuvers after the official sunset.

Thought about asking for that. It might be better for me not to have it though, kind of forces me to stay home and study instead. :D I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the ASA study guide, definitely going to have to read it again.

Just starting out - flight #3 this Friday. Going to be "Ground Reference Maneuvers" according to my CFI :)

Lots of fun - so far

Waiting Waiting Waiting for my checkride.
I live in Dallas and for whatever reason the demand for DPEs is so high and the supply so low that it looks like about a 2 month wait.

bleah

I live in Dallas and for whatever reason the demand for DPEs is so high and the supply so low that it looks like about a 2 month wait.

bleah

How do you like the TB-9? I'm taking my instruction in a TB-10

How do you like the TB-9? I'm taking my instruction in a TB-10

The good:
I love flying solo in it.
Ergonomically, everything is where you need it. Well thought out
Handles crosswinds like nobody's business
Very Roomy
It just feels good. Like sitting in a modern car

The Bad:
The narrow wings and the wide body make it a challenge to fly.
Start adding people and it is like flying an elephant
I have gotten used to it but the 172 I trained in w/ 20 less HP has 200 lbs more useful load, goes faster and climbs better.

The visibility in it is awesome for the passengers but I am 6 foot tall and have trouble seeing over the panel.

I think the TB10 or 20 may be better due to more horsepower but this one is 160 and I couldn't hit the POH cruise speed in a vertical dive.

I can fly the heck out of it and I like it but last week for the first time in a few months I rented a 172 and I realize I have been swinging the bat with a weight on it so to speak. That 172 flies itself in comparison.

I love the plane but my next one will be one that requires a little less effort to fly or has a payoff like more speed or useful load.

I have a ways to go until solo, but agree on the "car like interior"

bleah

I took my check ride on 8/7/13 with Lou Fournier. IIRC he was able to get me in within a week or two, it might have picked up since then, but you might give him a call. He charged $300 to meet me at Spinks, and he flew in. I think he is out of Hicks, so not far from NW Regional. He offered a ton of advice and I learned a lot during the check ride.

Back