So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Flying is like golf. You never master it, and we need to constantly be a student of it to become better. :yes:

We will al be students of aviation our whole lives. :)

Yep- 50 years of daily flying practice and it's al been training and preparation for my next flight.

no matter how bad you are, there is always someone worse

no matter how good you are, there is always someone who can humble you

Truth in all of these. Pushing 400 hours TT and I know I learn something new on each flight. It never ends, and that's a significant allure to flying.

I've been going at it since January of 2012. Passed the written a while back. Have about 48 hours and just passed my "Stage 2" oral, but the flight portion was delayed due to weather. I have the flight test makeup on Thursday. Hopefully I can nail my soft field takeoffs and shirt field landings.

Then, it's on to "Stage 3" which includes a couple of long XC solos, some night flights, and the practical test.

I have a terrific CFI. feel lucky about that.

Having a great time.

I'm the new guy here. I have no hours, no training, and no money. What I do have is a drive that tells me I will get my PPL eventually.

Currently I'm working on learning as much as I can from free sources online while I wait until spring. Once Taxes roll in, my plan is to put money aside for ground school and start saving up for rental time.

My biggest hurdle is whether at 6'9" I can fit in a cockpit to fly anything, but I've been told I can. While a 152 might not fit me very well I've been told there are planes that will fit. This means it will be a bit more expensive to get my PPL so it may take a bit longer but I'm going to do it.

I plan to schedule an introductory flight in Aug.

My neighbor is 6'10" and took several lessons. Pretty sure he trained in a 172. I think he ended up bailing when it came time for his medical since he had several bouts of vertigo (got to be really bad at almost 7' tall) and knowing him probably wouldn't have passed a urine test.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

almost done with stage 1 at a 141 school for private, Recreational pilot since 2000

Student pilot PP-ASEL, about 65 hours into it, have to do the two XC solo flights and then checkride prep, so I too am looking at 70-80 hours. Did the FAA written a couple of months ago studying only the Pilot's Handbook, the regs and doing thousands of practice questions on-line.

This has been a frustrating journey, particularly because as between my crazy work/travel schedule, CFI and airplane availability and the damn SoCal "June gloom" (which really starts in May), I only manage to fly about four times per month.

I finally started my training a few weeks ago. I just did my second lesson of 15 T&Gs yesterday. It's amazing! If the gloom clears up, I'll be doing another set tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get the whole pattern down, but it's rewarding learning with every landing.

@Ateaist -- Hello neighbor! Where are you flying out of? Hopefully the darned ocean will wake up and warm up so we can get rid of June gloom already -- it's a month late!

I almost got a lesson in Special VFR coming back to MYF at 6pm yesterday. Airport was calling scattered at 1000' and we were about two miles away from the airport and could barely see the runway with the marine layer hovering just above the runway. It was a great example to see once we landed: on the east side of the runway it was bright and sunny while on the west side it was completely socked in gray.

@Ateaist -- Hello neighbor! Where are you flying out of? Hopefully the darned ocean will wake up and warm up so we can get rid of June gloom already -- it's a month late!

Hi neighbor - I'm flying out of MYF as well. Glad to hear you found an instructor and have started your training!

I can't wait to get rid of the marine layer; I can't remember it ever being this late (but then again I've not really paid any attention to it until this year)! If your CFI is instrument rated he can alway take you in and out of the mess, and you can go to Brown, Gillespie or Ramona to practice pattern and air work (I may have to do that for the checkride prep).

Hi neighbor - I'm flying out of MYF as well. Glad to hear you found an instructor and have started your training!

I can't wait to get rid of the marine layer; I can't remember it ever being this late (but then again I've not really paid any attention to it until this year)! If your CFI is instrument rated he can alway take you in and out of the mess, and you can go to Brown, Gillespie or Ramona to practice pattern and air work (I may have to do that for the checkride prep).

Yup, when we left at 4:15pm, he double-checked the instruments in the plane for IFR flying just in case as the marine layer had rapidly built up in a short amount of time. Luckily it held steady right over the western end of the field. I usually fly early-mid mornings on the weekends and have been lucky with it burning off by 10-11am.

And this is definitely long. Usually it clears up right as July starts. It's not uncommon that in July we'll have a local marine layer just over the beaches but this month we've had it go far inland a lot of times. The ocean has been unusually cold this summer.

I just got my ppl and bought my plane, I got my check ride at 48 hrs, 2 months of flying and hard studying I got 94% on my test I use kings get it all DVDs now getting ready to start my ifr I need 2 more hrs cross country, check ride was intense but the guy is a open book of knowledge was more like flying with a friend. I use my plane for check ride.;)

I'm the new guy here. I have no hours, no training, and no money. What I do have is a drive that tells me I will get my PPL eventually.

Currently I'm working on learning as much as I can from free sources online while I wait until spring. Once Taxes roll in, my plan is to put money aside for ground school and start saving up for rental time.

My biggest hurdle is whether at 6'9" I can fit in a cockpit to fly anything, but I've been told I can. While a 152 might not fit me very well I've been told there are planes that will fit. This means it will be a bit more expensive to get my PPL so it may take a bit longer but I'm going to do it.

I plan to schedule an introductory flight in Aug.

I gave a few lessons to my 6'8" buddy in a SkyHawk after he solo'd in a C152! And yeah, he did all those hours with his head bent over to one side! -to maximize his flight hours/$

Ripping my hair out trying to finish my ppl had an appointment a month ago and now since have switched cfis weather has been killing me and finally this week is good but CFI is all booked up except Thursday which of course is going to rain and pretty much postpones checkride another week was hoping this sunday, but can't get any practice in. And keep going 2 weeks in between flights I'm used to go 2 3 time a week. Got rid of one CFI for issues now got scheduling issues with new one its a never ending issue this blasted hobby I've had maybe 1 hour of fun since starting this. The rest had been stress and aggregation and just in enjoyable training flights. When will this end so I can take a flight and just enjoy??

@Marc it does get better, I just had my first solo flight in IMC after earning my instrument rating in June. Definite feeling of accomplishment like you'll have when you take that first flight to another airport without asking for permission first.

We ALL are students. Once you consider yourself done learning you are just waiting to star in a NTSB report. After nearly 16,000 hours I consider myself an "advanced beginner".

First dual cross-country today. MSN to RFD and back. Not very long, but still fun. Weather was really good and all my checkpoints were dead on through the first half of the flight. On the way back, off by 2-3 minutes. Good times.

Passed my written on Friday!! Moving right along.

Welcome to PoA. That's quite a haul, it should be a comparative piece of cake to get your PPL! Your sure in a great area to fly too.

Boy this sounds familiar, (except the hours) I too started training at 16, 24 years ago. My high school offered an aeronautics class that offered free flight instruction. We didn't get a ton of hours, but in the 3 years I was in the course, I amassed 41 hours, include .5 PIC solo in the pattern at KSEE. Military service, marriage to an aviation hater, and life got in the way.

2 out of the 3 issues have been resolved. Only life remains. :D I'm currently looking for an instructor in the Myrtle Point, Roseburg, Oregon area.

I've started studying and trying to learn and relearn. Thinking about ordering some of the Kings courses for that areas that are kicking my butt. But then again maybe I'll just grab the Get it all kit, and cover all the bases.

Bump. I like to read the progress everyone is making.

Tomorrow is the second dual cross-country. Madison to Oshkosh and back. I was at EAA last week. It will be funny to see how deserted it looks now!

Student Pilot. I have about 70 hours.
Taking Written on Saturday.
Doing Night XC Saturday as well.

Then I lack 24 minutes of hood work and on to checkride prep.

I'm an active student pilot pursuing my PPL. Just soloed about a month ago. Going now into my X-Country stage.

Bump.

Did my first solo XC yesterday. Should have been done over a week ago, but weather.

MSN to OSH and back. Went very well. Few clouds kept me at 2700' or so until I was 20-25 miles out, then it cleared up and I climbed to 3500. Landings in OSH and MSN were just about as perfect as I thought they could be, of course my instructor was not on board LOL.

Written next week, been delayed because I haven't had time to study as I'd like. Long XC sometime within a week, then I need 7 more full stop night landings and it's onto checkride practice. Getting closer.

How's everyone else doing?

for some reason I'm STILL waiting to start my dual xc's.

just curious, but for those who have solo'd AND started your xc's, about how long after solo did you start, wx factor removed, if possible? it's been over a month for me with no real wx related delays, and I'm not sure why.

I'm a student taking ppl right now, about 17 hours, 42 landings, and about 2-3 more hours until I solo. :goofy:

I'm 34 and a bit regretful that I hadn't gotten back on it sooner as well as completed those last few credits of my BFA before getting swept away in my current profession.(A window now passed, unless I startover) A career switch into being a pilot could have been most excellent. So now I'm just moving forward for the sole reason of wanting to fly privately, and enjoyment of learning. I'm content with that. :)

just curious, but for those who have solo'd AND started your xc's, about how long after solo did you start, wx factor removed, if possible? it's been over a month for me with no real wx related delays, and I'm not sure why.

I soloed at 12.5 hours and currently I have 36 hours after getting done yesterday.

It's going to be different for everyone, so I wouldn't get into the habit of comparing numbers. Your instructor will let you know when you're ready.

I started training again this week after stopping 11 years ago. Put 3.3 hours on the Hobbs this week and have about 16 hours from the past

I'm at about 37 hours now, taking the written test on Tuesday. The only requirements I have to finish yet are about an hour and a half of flying under the hood and then the 3 hours of flight test prep. Might do a little more solo flying on Monday, weather and rental availability permitting.

I've finally been able to do some landings with full controls. Most of them should probably count as 2 landings. I'll have to check my logs but I'm guessing I have less than a dozen with full controls. On Wednesday we had a 5kt crosswind so I had 6 or so of those, even do some pretty good take offs. My best landings are usually after a bounce and then I am able to settle in. Just got to get that sight picture. Now that I'm actually getting some landings in I can see how some people are able to solo around 10-15 hours, especially if they are able to focus on the pattern and landings during that time. I am in no rush myself. My CFI said he usually doesn't feel comfortable with his students soloing until around 20hrs. That will probably be about right for me. Maybe a little more (or a lot). Seems like such a big hurdle at this time, but definitely much less so now than how I felt this time last week.

Passed the SPA written two weeks ago. Solo cross country planned for Labor Day. :goofy:

Prep for the practical is next.

I have close to 40 hours, about to solo XC. I soloed in the middle of August and that same week is when I did my first dual short XC. But then we took a break and worked more on VORs and short/soft field landings and I did my long dual this week. I'm building more solo hours before my short solo XC.

Got my FAA certificate after a 30 year hiatus. Have my TC certificate, which qualified me to not have to take a FAA check ride. Immediately started IR. IMC session tomorrow. Psyched.

Working on my ppl... Soloed around 16hrs but then ran into some scheduling problems... Then money ran short. Ending up changing flight schools. But still pluggin away! Have 48hours now. working on my solo xcountry flights, after a little remediation of the basics. Hope to finally get my ticket early October. :mad2:

I was doing dual XC almost immediately after I soloed, but I think that was due to me spending so much time with the instructor pre-solo, I didn't have much else to focus on. We did 2 short XC dual trips, then I was on my own for a short one, then a long one and now I have way more hours than I ever thought I would have pre-test. Testing in 1 week and absolutely petrified about the oral part of the exam. Feeling 99% confident with flying abilities but not so much with FAR/AIM stuff. Man this whole pilots license is way more than people make it out to be. :yikes:

I was doing dual XC almost immediately after I soloed, but I think that was due to me spending so much time with the instructor pre-solo, I didn't have much else to focus on. We did 2 short XC dual trips, then I was on my own for a short one, then a long one and now I have way more hours than I ever thought I would have pre-test. Testing in 1 week and absolutely petrified about the oral part of the exam. Feeling 99% confident with flying abilities but not so much with FAR/AIM stuff. Man this whole pilots license is way more than people make it out to be. :yikes:

Oh man, good luck with the test, I'm sure you'll do just fine! You're so close!!

Grinding along slowly. In a 141 school, so I'm 2 flights away from Stage 2 check. for those of you unfamiliar - essentially I've soloed and done plenty of dual xc; once I pass that, it's on to solo xc's and checkride prep. planning on taking the written exam soon after the stage check.

141 - presolo - 10 or so hours in...trying to learn how to land :)

Rated PP/ASEL, working on helicopter rating and only a couple of hours away. 1/2 through IFR, needs work.
Finish the helicopter rating and IFR. Commercial next.
Never enough time or money.

Got some good flying in today. Visited a nearby nontowered airport (kjzi). We had planned several times before to make the hop but conditions always favored other training. Extremely nice runway and wind was directly straight down runway 27 when close to the ground. It's supposed to be an extremely busy airfield but during the 4 landings I did only heard one radio call from a plane that took off right behind us on the way back home. All 4 landings at that JZI were pretty decent. One felt great but I had to ruin it by nearly forgetting right rudder on the touch and go. Good thing the runway was 100’ wide! Got all my radio calls right today even at the new airport. Still nervous about going to a towered airport now have just over 15 hours. As far as soloing goes, here's where I feel I'm at. Pattern and radio I'm doing well on. Takeoffs including crosswind are good. I definitely need quite a few more landings under my belt but at least I know I can land the plane without scaring myself (or my CFI). As of now I'm not worried about soloing. Just glad about the progress I've had in the last 5 hours.

Back