So, I guess I have to get a Cirrus...

They're also tough to find for sale and bring a premium. I know a guy with one here at FXE with one that he might part with for enough money.
I think I know the same guy....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Just get the Lance or Toga and buy her a Parachute.

Tell her she can jump out when the engine stops.
Guaranteed to keep her from boarding the plane. :lol:

Sadly, this may not really satisfy her concern. There was a thread here a couple years ago about husbands and wives who made the morbid choice that 'they should all go together'. Seems that it was mainly the women that felt that way.

There is an STC to install a BRS in any 172 or 182. You don't have to have a Cirrus to have a parachute.

Meyers are not out there like popcorn that's for sure. A good one will set you back $100K or more I would imagine.

A few owners are plugging in IO-550's with the GAMI's and all the bells and whistles turning them into 200+ knot screaming eagles.

I did a lot of reading and looking thinking I wanted one. They have one of the cleanest gear up belly profiles in the air. Very smooth almost like composite.

314-eFLYER-FA01-42.jpg

Me thinks you could find an old Ovation and get the same ballpark performance without the relic hassle element to it. I don't follow Ovation pricing too closely but I think they can be found for the price of an older Cirrus?

I guess an ovation might be ok except that it's a mooney

EminiTrader said:
As usual, Henning is spot on.

Words that I thought I would never see in writing. :rofl:

When you're as prolific a poster as Henning, you've got to occasionally make a good comment. Kind of like if you have enough monkeys banging away at enough typewriters for long enough, eventually one of them will produce the entire Shakespeare writings. :D

Was just made available with the new G5's.

Actually - what they call high speed envelope protection has been on all the Perspective (G1000) equipped Cirri for a while. It limits bank and pitch angles to pre-defined limits even when the AP is off.

Low speed envelope protection (i.e. stick pusher) is on Rev 23 and above of the Perspective software. It is on all the new G5s, yes, but is also retrofittable to any Perspective Cirrus back to 2009 - all you have to do is pay labor, the software upgrade is free. Mine is getting the stick pusher upgrade next week.

Good advice in general but it takes a lot of kneeling to crush the honeycomb substantially. Costs less than $100 to replace when warranted.

On a related note, my hangar neighbor (who owns an older Baron) was checking out my SR22 and noticed the HVAC (incl. air conditioning) controls and goes 'oh don't let my wife see that comfy cabin and that AC!'

The Cirrus aircraft certainly do play well to non-pilots - the parachute, the creature comforts of the cabin, the big windows and great visibility, the simplified panel and side stick out of the way (less concern from pax of accidentally touching a control or button that would obviously lead to a catastrophic crash), the two doors that allow for easy car-like in/outgress, the modern design, the big moving map, etc... all help. We, on this site, are all comfortable in a ratty old Cessna or Piper older than us, but for those not bitten by the aviation bug and who may be a little bit nervous about being in a small plane, these comforting attributes carry a lot of weight.
Yep. The parachute, nice interior, and AC really attract non pilots to the plane. It feels like you're sitting in a car rather than a plane

Actually - what they call high speed envelope protection has been on all the Perspective (G1000) equipped Cirri for a while. It limits bank and pitch angles to pre-defined limits even when the AP is off.

Low speed envelope protection (i.e. stick pusher) is on Rev 23 and above of the Perspective software. It is on all the new G5s, yes, but is also retrofittable to any Perspective Cirrus back to 2009 - all you have to do is pay labor, the software upgrade is free. Mine is getting the stick pusher upgrade next week.

You are putting a pusher in your piston single engine?

Are the stall characteristics that horrible on the cirrus?

The ESP is great until you decide to do steep turns. I always have to remind myself to hold the autopilot disconnect when I do them!

I think I know the same guy....

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Probably, I think it's the only one in the area. I almost got him to rent it to me for my 709 ride after he sent the Seminole out on me, but the insurance jump was going to be too significant.

Guaranteed to keep her from boarding the plane. :lol:

Sadly, this may not really satisfy her concern. There was a thread here a couple years ago about husbands and wives who made the morbid choice that 'they should all go together'. Seems that it was mainly the women that felt that way.

I know several families that make that choice. If mom and dad are both in the plane, the whole family is in the plane.

You are putting a pusher in your piston single engine?

Are the stall characteristics that horrible on the cirrus?

It's a free upgrade, so why wouldn't you?

And no, the stall characteristics are about as docile as it gets. Fly one sometime.

It's a free upgrade, so why wouldn't you?

And no, the stall characteristics are about as docile as it gets. Fly one sometime.

I'd love to take one for a spin.

Just seems like the limiters and pusher not needed

I'd love to take one for a spin.

Just seems like the limiters and pusher not needed

Probably not needed. But then again, neither is air conditioning or infrared vision or a myriad other things on these planes but it's nice to have and it just may save some lives. Even with a perfectly well behaved airplane, inadevrtent stall/spins still happen some times. It kind of boggles my mind too that someone would let that happen but we know it does - in many GA airplanes.

But just to be clear, I'm not saying this is a necessary item on the airplane. I don't have the pusher active right now and I'm really only upgrading because it's free and the new software has a bunch of other new features (eg user defined holds).

If you're ever in the Columbus Ohio area and want to go for a flight, hit me up. I'm always open to meeting new pilots and doing some flying.

You can also disable it on the MFD aux page.

And also I'm assuming by pulling the servo CB's? As there ever been a case of an ESP malfunction where it gets confused and pushes the plane into an unusual attitude? :eek: Sounds like a cool feature but I'd want to know where those servo CB's are.

And also I'm assuming by pulling the servo CB's? As there ever been a case of an ESP malfunction where it gets confused and pushes the plane into an unusual attitude? :eek: Sounds like a cool feature but I'd want to know where those servo CB's are.

No instances that I know of - and that would likely make big news on COPA. But yes, there are 3 different ways to disable it (holding down the AP disconnect button on the yoke, circuit breakers and mfd setting). Every pilot in a cirrus should (although I'm sure some don't) know how to defeat this stuff if it malfunctions. Not really any different than a runaway trim situation in other airplanes.

I have color collared my breakers for AP and trim so they are easy to get to real quickly.

That has been my experience as well, having maybe 600 or 700 hours in them, with a fair amount of instructing.

But...

...there is clearly a regime where, once stalled, things can get out of hand very, very rapidly. I never saw it, but learning from the reports of others, I always made sure I had plenty of altitude when practicing stalls.

These should be viewed as an example of how quickly things can go downhill:

[Yt]7nm_hoHhbFo[/MEDIA]

[Yt]pAWy9mjnrYM[/MEDIA]

I just think the "docile" label has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Wikipedia says, "The SR22 has been the world's best-selling single-engine, four-seat aircraft every year since 2004." Is this correct?

Wikipedia says, "The SR22 has been the world's best-selling single-engine, four-seat aircraft every year since 2004." Is this correct?

There may have been some years where Cessna built more 172 on big training contracts. Other than that, I believe this is correct.

Neither did mine until Fox News showed the video of that ferry pilot deploying the chute on the way to Hawaii. Now she insists on a plane with a chute. Oh, and she's afraid to fly and has never flown with me.

Good luck

If you can get her over the fear of flying your situation would be way better. Over the years I have had several students ask me to talk to their spouses because they didn't believe it was safe. No amount of evidence presented by the pilot/spouse would change the non pilots mind. They suspected lies and deceit were in play to get the new toy. It took an outsider to convince them.

That has been my experience as well, having maybe 600 or 700 hours in them, with a fair amount of instructing.

But...

...there is clearly a regime where, once stalled, things can get out of hand very, very rapidly. I never saw it, but learning from the reports of others, I always made sure I had plenty of altitude when practicing stalls.

These should be viewed as an example of how quickly things can go downhill:

[Yt]7nm_hoHhbFo[/MEDIA]

[Yt]pAWy9mjnrYM[/MEDIA]

I just think the "docile" label has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Sobering videos. That second situation went from everything ok to nosedive in about 10 seconds.

Good luck

If you can get her over the fear of flying your situation would be way better. Over the years I have had several students ask me to talk to their spouses because they didn't believe it was safe. No amount of evidence presented by the pilot/spouse would change the non pilots mind. They suspected lies and deceit were in play to get the new toy. It took an outsider to convince them.

I'd like to have her take a Pinch Hitter course. I think that controlling the plane and landing it gives you a different idea of what's going on and may lower the level of anxiety.

Mooney pilots ... :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

Or ...

bigstockphoto_Please_Be_Tall_Enough_679408.jpg

Whatever happened to Ed Guthrie? He was a tall Mooney guy who would normally jump on something like this is a second. (And his arguments with Ron L. were always entertaining).

http://www.brsaerospace.com/cessna_182_faq.aspx
Boy they stretch the truth on the BRS survivability. They don't count ANY of the Cirrus fatalities in their number of 'all have walked away'.

And about that 'DIY' claim.....ah......NO.

IIRC there have been no fatalities in a Cirrus when the BRS has been deployed within the published deployment envelope.

I would not count deployments outside the envelope against BRS, nor crashes where deployments didn't occur.

Last edited:
Heard of it but know nothing of how it functioned. Wasn't it pneumatic?

I think so.

I remember it as a silver button on the yoke.

When not depressed, it engaged some sort of wing leveler that you had to fight to turn the plane.

I recall we just taped it down for training.

Been many decades, so my memory may be off.

I think so.

I remember it as a silver button on the yoke.

When not depressed, it engaged some sort of wing leveler that you had to fight to turn the plane.

A pneumatically operated gyro similar to the Brittain autopilots.

I dont know why this was mentioned at all. The 'PC' wouldn't recover the plane, it just kept it from changing direction once engaged.

I recall we just taped it down for training.
The button relieves the actuator pressure from the system. A different way to disable it is to remove the button leaving the line open to air.

plenty of time to stretch my legs waiting for you to arrive at the airport after me.
No time for that, you need to head back to get the bags that you had to leave behind

No time for that, you need to head back to get the bags that you had to leave behind
never been a problem. Maybe some guys should get on a diet, or their wives :hairraise:

Hahaha that was well played! I need to get some time in a Mooney and Cirrus to see what all the fuss is about. The newer models (Ovation, Acclaim) seem comfortable enough from the few minutes I sat in one.

Back