So I did poorly in highschool and I have goals of flying for my supper.

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by AaronW, Feb 14, 2020.

1. AaronW

AaronW Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    I'm 33 right now and I really want to complete a 4 year professional aviation degree at a public college, it includes all of the flight ratings to CFI-I. I already have a good portion of the general studies required completed. I spoke with a flight instructor at the campus, and he said that I may be able to complete the degree in 3 years. My current college GPA is 3.1 and I plan on raising it higher, hopefully doing extremely well on all of my check rides.

Is my employment outlook completely abyssal even if I completely rock everything during my time at this college and with my flight training?

2. texasclouds

texasclouds Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Do you mean because of your age? Everyone tells me no problem. I’m 36 and going full throttle for a flying career right now. There also is a tale of a regional hiring a 62 yr old.

3. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    I mean because of my poor high school performance. Also.. what's with the colored in states in your sig?

4. texasclouds

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Unless it hinders you getting into a university, no body cares about your high school grades. Even then u can transfer after getting street cred at a Jr College.

?#2: states I’ve flown in are colored.

5. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    Right right! I didn't mention earlier, but I have 35 hours already with a 3.1 GPA.

And sweet! I live in the south too! The college I plan on going to is in MS and I live in LA

6. texasclouds

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Well ya gotta pay me more if you want me to read your entire post!

And you also can leave the 10 yr old newspaper delivery route job off your resume.

You want airlines? They want 1500 hrs and a pulse.

N1120A likes this.
  7. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    I can't get in with the rATP at 1000?

8. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    Colleges are desperate for students right now and with the approaching demographic cliff of college age kids they will be more so.

Show up with money and they will make it work.

9. WDD

WDD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    WDD
    Good that you're thinking through the issues. I've hired many people over the years. A fresh out of college person, I looked at grades and what else that person did that might be applicable to the job (statistics, etc. ). After that, you list your experience and past jobs, and put your education last on your resume without even listing your GPA.

If anyone ever asks a college graduate about high school, politely walk away. That tells you they really have no idea what they're doing.

Well done on having a solid B average. If you can push that further, wouldn't hurt.

As long as High School didn't involve anything involving an arrest, conviction, jail time, etc. you're good. My CFI had to explain why he pleaded guilty to a speeding ticket 10 year past - so they are picky about those things. But HS GPA? Don't worry about it.

A tip I heard between CFI's - make sure you can pass your first class medical. If there is anything that would block it or reasonably prevent it from being renewed in the future you need to know that now before committing.

BTW - my CFI was a guy mid 30's who just left to his airline job.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    The job history really bothers me as well. I had small crappy jobs, one in the oilfield for a few months for dropping it to go to college, family issues came up at home so I had to stop college, just a bunch of oddjobs here and there.. That's REALLY why I'm doing what I'm doing now. Aviation is honestly the only thing that has ever in my live interested me and been something that I've wanted to do.

11. lsaway

lsaway Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    lsaway
    My first semester in college, I got a "D" in private pilot ground school. I missed the entire last 1/2 of the classes do to family emergency. I was too late to drop and take a "W". I repeated the next semester and got an A and graduated with a 3.9 gpa. I still got hammered over the D during my regional airline interview. I was still hired anyway, even though this was back when getting hired was much harder than today. Maybe you will be drilled about your poor grades during an interview, but it is just a way to see how you handle yourself under pressure. Your college performance is going to be more relevant.

12. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    Sweet, thanks a lot- really takes a weight off of me. Even if I would be happy with a not-so-glamorous flying job, it's good to know that I will still have options.

13. N1120A

N1120A Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    Yeah, I know a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s going for the airlines. I have a friend who was hired by a regional in his 50s recently.

You can, if you meet the other requirements. That said, 500 hours you get paid for by someone else isn't all that much.

14. cowman

cowman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    The last time anyone asked for my high school GPA was when I applied to college.

15. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    Well my main goal obviously is to win the lottery and buy a DA62 to get my hours in ;) Wish me luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  16. N1120A

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    Why get a King Air when you can get a superior Conquest or Cheyenne 400, right @Ted DuPuis ? :p

Still, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the mediocre high school grades. 3.1 in college will be fine for them.

17. AaronW

Display Name:

Display name:
    AaronW
    I changed my mind, I'd rather get a DA62. But yes, 3.1 feels alright- but I do plan on working hard and taking advantage of tutoring to get a better GPA.

18. N1120A

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    Do the best you can. The better your grades, the more back up plans you have.

19. WDD

WDD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    WDD
    Resume after your college and you get the hours: Your hours, your college degree (no one lists High School - it would look rather childish), and then list your various past jobs that you worked hard at. Heck, do airline pilot applicants even have resumes? For me, a guy who is willing to work on an oil field tells me you're not afraid of hard work. Going to college a few years late? Tells me your mature and determined, unlike flaky 18 year olds.

20. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    I did horrible in highschool and the first year of college, and I've done just fine in the corporate aviation industry. I applied at all the majors about two years ago when I had a moment of weakness, and all of them wanted my high school GPA. Maybe that's why they never called me. Probably not, but your poor highschool grades should not hinder your career.

21. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Right Seater
    Once I entered college, NOBODY ever asked me about my high school grades.

Ryanb likes this.
  22. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    This.