So how did this guy pass his check ride?

Man..that DPE better hope like hell someone at the FAA doesn't dislike him and finds that video.

I like the way the DPE handled things but allowing a pass with that video on the internet is a very bad thing...

1:18:06 - "You mess with everyone like you mess with me?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

"I do wish my instructor had drilled me on the actual test maneuvers as well as the engine out procedures" - pilot's quote in the comments

:mad2:

What the heck was the CFI "teaching" this guy if he wasn't going over the maneuvers and procedures?

How was he allowed to solo without first being drilled on engine out procedures?

Unbelievable. Remind me not to fly anywhere where this CFI and DPE's "pilots" can be found.

"I do wish my instructor had drilled me on the actual test maneuvers as well as the engine out procedures" - pilot's quote in the comments

:mad2:

What the heck was the CFI "teaching" this guy if he wasn't going over the maneuvers and procedures?

How was he allowed to solo without first being drilled on engine out procedures?

Unbelievable. Remind me not to fly anywhere where this CFI and DPE's "pilots" can be found.

All of his training videos are on his website. you can see what his CFI was teaching him.

I watched the one on stalls

I remember stumbling across this video months ago, just before my ppl checkride when I was looking up a bunch of videos to prep. My examiner would have definitely failed this dude. I took my checkride in a 172SP - steam guages, not g1000. During the diversion phase of the checkride, the DPE put post its on my DG, magnetic compass, and the GPS unit. He asked me to find my way using pilotage and dead reckoning only. That was probably the most stressful portion of the ride for me.

All I can say is thank God this guy is in Texas not Ohio.

The plane I took mine in didn't have a GPS. :D

Watched a little of the stall video.

The part I thought was interesting was working the throttle (on the right) with the left hand. The CFI comments on it but doesn't come right out and say, don't do that.

I thought my checkride was pretty easy compared to some I have read about here(not anywhere near this easy for sure) for me it was more dealing with the nerves than anything and I know it wasn't a perfect ride my soft field I put it on pretty hard and he let me do it again other than that nothing else stood out as I recall.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am the guy in the video. I have not flown since this day, and I would never fly alone or with passengers if I wasn't completely comfortable.

First, I wanted to start off by saying I appreciate all of your feedback, and you all are right. After reading your feedback, I am surprised I passed as well. I don't blame my CFI, I just think I needed more time. I watched the whole video again, and I see many mistakes that I would not normally have made. I guess I was a little nervous, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I do plan on getting my private pilot, I will be using a different flight school and a different airport, mainly because I moved.

All the Sport Pilot videos I made were meant to be training guides for myself and any other future pilots. My thoughts were that they would watch my videos and learn from my mistakes. For now, I have removed the checkride video. I do plan on filming my private pilot, if the new school allows.

Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Matt

It looks like he pulled the video - I was in the middle of it, it sounds like the examiner knows that it is poor prep from that CFI.

I can't believe he actually tried to put direct to his destination on the GPS and think the examiner would be okay with that

He removed the video, just today, I was watching it this morning.

aww man I was only half way through and it's gone now...

Hello all, I am the guy in the video. I have not flown since this day, and I would never fly alone or with passengers if I wasn't completely comfortable.

First, I wanted to start off by saying I appreciate all of your feedback, and you all are right. After reading your feedback, I am surprised I passed as well. I don't blame my CFI, I just think I needed more time. I watched the whole video again, and I see many mistakes that I would not normally have made. I guess I was a little nervous, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I do plan on getting my private pilot, I will be using a different flight school and a different airport, mainly because I moved.

All the Sport Pilot videos I made were meant to be training guides for myself and any other future pilots. My thoughts were that they would watch my videos and learn from my mistakes. For now, I have removed the checkride video. I do plan on filming my private pilot, if the new school allows.

Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Matt

Did the examiner know you were filming it?

Thank God this DPE is local to me.
I am going to take my IR checkride w/ him tomorrow because why not.

LOL.... Seriously though, I finally recognized this DPE, and know a few who have used him for PPL and Instrument check rides. I know the instructors, and have flown with two pilots that checked out their PPL with him and passed, and know three instruments pilots that only one passed with him. (he failed the other two in the oral) I feel confident the pilots that I know that used that DPE were competent due to the fact I know what their instructors put them thru before the check ride. They watched this yesterday, and commented he was a lot harder on them and offered nothing to help them. I assume he takes the sport pilot rating lightly. I talked to this DPE after he failed the first Instrument Student I know, and it seemed that he was very strict on the IR Ride. He commented that when you are at the point to get the IR, there are no reasons to not be close to perfect, and that Instrument Pilots are the ones he flies with, and he will not share the air with them unless they meet exact PTS Standards.

I was actually scheduled to do my PPL ride with him and the weather turned out bad, and I had to reschedule. He was busy when I needed to do it, and I used another DPE.

I think you got judged in here extremely harsh Matt. You didn't commit any FATAL errors as far as I could see...

Just some nav and communication flub ups... no biggie.

Should you have passed? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think you're going to kill anyone. You seem to have flying the machine figured out pretty good.

Did the examiner know you were filming it?

Yes. I always asked before filming. I was not aware of any laws preventing me from uploading it, but I removed it now just in case.

I think you got judged in here extremely harsh Matt. You didn't commit any FATAL errors as far as I could see...

Should you have passed? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't think you're going to kill anyone. You seem to have flying the machine figured out pretty good.

Thank you.

Strange I always thought those little things like being able to navigate and communicate were important. Maybe not in the sports license world?

Yes. I always asked before filming. I was not aware of any laws preventing me from uploading it, but I removed it now just in case.

I'm glad you're looking to fill the gaps in your education before you do anymore flying, good call finding a new school and DPE for your PPL, I don't think it'll take too much work to get you were you should be.

Ask around on this board for good suggestions for a CFI, fact of the matter is there no way you should have ever passed that ride, good on you for seeing the deficiencies in your flying and working on addressing them. :yes:

I can't believe he actually tried to put direct to his destination on the GPS and think the examiner would be okay with that

My DPE, after I used VOR to locate myself and plot a course to diversion while using a river to navigate as well, told me later I could of just used the GPS. He said "it's in the plane...use it." Moral of the story. Use all the aids you have until the DPE takes them away. Don't just assume he won't let you.

Last edited:
I wish I could have seen this... my ride was living hell compared to what this was described as :)

matt, I commend you for coming on this forum and dealing face to face with this.

I will say that watching your checkride, your DPE reminded me a lot of the guy that did mine, however yours was a bit friendlier. Something about these old military pilot DPE's I think.

I am certain your nerves got the best of you that day! I was a mess mentally the day I took my checkride. I made mistakes as well. Most of us did. In the end, you got your license and the guy in the right seat has more experience than most on this forum. If he didn't think you were a safe pilot, he wouldn't have passed you.

Shame you haven't flown since, I'm sure you would have improved on many of the things you were picked on. It absolutely is a license to learn, but not flying wont teach you anything. Good luck on your private!

My DPE, after I used VOR to locate myself and plot a course to diversion while using a river to navigate as well, told me later I could of just used the GPS. He said "it's in the plane...use it." Moral of the story. Use all the aids you have until the DPE takes them away. Don't just assume he won't let you.
I think it's safe to assume that you can't use the GPS while you initially fly to your first checkpoint of your simulated cross country until you've demonstrated you can fly using pilotage and dead reckoning.

I think it's safe to assume that you can't use the GPS while you initially fly to your first checkpoint of your simulated cross country until you've demonstrated you can fly using pilotage and dead reckoning.

By the time the diversion comes, you've already demonstrated pilotage and dead reckoning by flying your XC to a waypoint.

And yes, some (most) DPE's will fail the GPS right away on the diversion as well if you try to use it.

But the only point was, don't preemptively not use the GPS until he actually says it's "failed." So I can't blame the guy for trying.

Face it, most folks know they didn't do great on one thing or another on a checkride. We all know that happens, and DPE's are given some room for leniency. I just can't see how the FAA guys that manage the DPE's wouldn't be fuming if they saw this. It's not the student's fault that the instructor said he was ready for a checkride, and it's not the student's fault that he was given a pass. It's poor standards and quality control issues here.

Welcome Matt. (when you say it like that it sounds funny) :D

Don't most instructors work with particular DPEs? I know my instructor worked with the one DPE regularly and the DPE pretty much knew if the instructor sent someone they were ready.

Not that everyone passed...there was that one kid who ran the wing tip through the picture window at the DPEs office when he was turning the plane around. :yikes:

Yeah, I commend Matt as well for coming on the forum to open up discussion about it.

I think a lot of us take the flying thing pretty seriously, since we fly with our wives, kids, family and friends. We have spent countless hours studying the PTS, and reading each accident report for the type plane we fly.

Something about someone getting through the system without demonstrating the required skills is somewhat demeaning to the sport pilot certificate I hold.
Makes it feel less special.

I do feel that the system let you down.

I'm curious, did you really not know what the PTS was, or were you just frazzled? It's hard to imagine not reading the "cliff notes" for the practical test, to understand what is required to pass.

Other question is since you did pass, why have you not been flying since? I don't think I made it a week before my first rental.

By the time the diversion comes, you've already demonstrated pilotage and dead reckoning by flying your XC to a waypoint.
The pilot didn't even have his map out which leads me to believe he was planning on using the GPS. I guess the DPE had other ideas.

Hi Justin,

I was nervous on the day of the exam. The exam was scheduled about a week earlier, but due to problems with the aircraft, we rescheduled. So the morning of, it had already been some time since my last training with my CFI, plus like I said I was nervous. Regarding the PTS, I did know what it was, and I owned the book. Having said that, it was never a major focus of my training, so I skimmed through it. I realize now how much more ground work I needed for that test, and I definitely should have read the book.

Right after the exam, I had to travel for work for a few months. After getting back, it was winter and I was in a new job that required a lot of hours, so I just never got back out. I plan to get my PPL this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get back out with an instructor in the next few months.

Flying is incredible. I love being in the air, I love everything about aviation. I'm excited to continue my learning and progress to the next license.

I appreciate everyone's advice, even the harsh ones :)

Hopefully if any of you guys are still in the DFW area, we could meet up for lunch sometime.

Hi Justin,

I was nervous on the day of the exam. The exam was scheduled about a week earlier, but due to problems with the aircraft, we rescheduled. So the morning of, it had already been some time since my last training with my CFI, plus like I said I was nervous. Regarding the PTS, I did know what it was, and I owned the book. Having said that, it was never a major focus of my training, so I skimmed through it. I realize now how much more ground work I needed for that test, and I definitely should have read the book.

Right after the exam, I had to travel for work for a few months. After getting back, it was winter and I was in a new job that required a lot of hours, so I just never got back out. I plan to get my PPL this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get back out with an instructor in the next few months.

Flying is incredible. I love being in the air, I love everything about aviation. I'm excited to continue my learning and progress to the next license.

Hopefully if any of you guys are still in the DFW area, we could meet up for lunch sometime.

Well, one thing is for sure. You seem to have sufficient character for all of us.

You seem to be such a nice guy I feel bad for posting the video. :dunno:

I would imagine the group here at POA could help you find a good instructor in the area. Where in DFW are you located?

I appreciate that Justin.

The closest airport to me now is Alliance Airport. I am close to Hicks, and not too far from Denton. There is a school at Hicks, Pro-Aircraft that looked pretty nice, but i'm always open for suggestions and advice.

Thanks again.

Hi Justin,

Don't worry Matt, things happen to all of us, its all part of learning. Glad to see you on the forum. Good luck in continuing your flying and receiving your PPL!

Yea that was bad. It's a good thing some guy came on the radio and finally asked him what runway he was landing on. He also made the dreaded "left final" radio call.

Were you watching the same video?

If that DPE would have just failed his MFD and diverted him, not said a word, he would have been screwed!

The kid got a full on ground lesson on how to navigate on the ride :nono:

I dunno. I watched the video. The whole thing. I saw a somewhat underprepared student pilot screwing up important details. But, here's the kicker: he did NOT appear unsafe, at least as long as nothing goes wrong. So, he seems like a borderline case -- he missed a couple of special emphasis areas, which is problematic, but I just don't see the wild OMIGAWD!s elsewhere in this thread. He had good control of the aircraft at all times. With some of the page 1 comments, you would think he spun the power off stall. The recovery I saw was pretty good, except for the critical detail of adding full power.

Now, something I was thinking through this is that the FAA frowns on instructors smoking weed....

I say this from time to time. A private pilot check ride is a massive head game. I wouldn't expect a sport pilot to be very different. ALL of us said something stupid at some point during the first check ride. Those who didn't are lying.

Last edited:
I appreciate that Justin.

The closest airport to me now is Alliance Airport. I am close to Hicks, and not too far from Denton. There is a school at Hicks, Pro-Aircraft that looked pretty nice, but i'm always open for suggestions and advice.

Thanks again.

Ron Podmenik. He teaches at Denton, and at a club in Roanoke. Great guy!

Won't waste you money, or time, but will get you completely prepared.

His info below:

Ron Podmenik
Mobile (682) 234-2061
rgpodmen@swbell.net

Back