Snowy Jerusalem...

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
The city is literally "under siege" with scores of drivers stranded on the snowy roads...

The emergency services are evacuating thousands of people who had to spend the night in their cars...stuck in the snow....

The roads to the Golan Heights ( Northern Israel ) and to Jerusalem are closed.

046.jpg

And to think that I just spent a small fortune on a snow vacation in Vermont with the kids...

Incredible...

Last edited:
Alon, I suspect there are no ski lifts in Israel so your snow is likely going to waste.
BTW, you are disturbing our ugly american mindset that Israel is a desert with blowing sand and camels panting in the shade of a fig tree.
Getting in any flying there at home?

cheers

Alon, I suspect there are no ski lifts in Israel so your snow is likely going to waste.
BTW, you are disturbing our ugly american mindset that Israel is a desert with blowing sand and camels panting in the shade of a fig tree.
Getting in any flying there at home?

cheers

Hi,

There are a few ski lifts on Mount Hermon...they switch them on sporadically....( when there is enough snow for skiing ).

Israel is a tiny country that offers many contrasts...from ultra-orthodox to ultra-liberal Jews...from snowy slopes to barren deserts...you can find anything...

As for flying, my camel just broke down, so it was hard to travel to the airfield...and it was too cold for my flying carpet anyway...:D

The city is literally "under siege" with scores of drivers stranded on the snowy roads...

The emergency services are evacuating thousands of people who had to spend the night in their cars...stuck in the snow....

I certainly hope it took a lot more snow than is depicted in that photo to wreak all that havoc! That's not snow, that's a dusting.

They don't often see much of the stuff in the ME so they don't know what to do when it hits once a decade or so. Same snows are likely to kill Syrian refugees who aren't equipped for it or the accompanying cold.

I was in Florida once during a cold snap. Never saw so many helpless people.

They don't often see much of the stuff in the ME so they don't know what to do when it hits once a decade or so. Same snows are likely to kill Syrian refugees who aren't equipped for it or the accompanying cold.

Here in southeast TN 1/2" of snow shuts everythign down.

Global Warming baby. Global Warming. All the politicians knew and wrote books. Should have been prepared. LOL.

Are you sure the cold snap had anything to do with that?
:rolleyes:

You can get an impression from that video ( made yesterday ) - the situation got much worse today with snow falling without interruption since yesterday evening...

But, but, even in that photo it's no deeper than an inch or two. I can see it now...Israel begging the U.S. to send aircraft carriers, fighter jets, and billions of dollars to defend it from Mother Nature.

:rolleyes: (again)

Last edited:
Are you sure the cold snap had anything to do with that?
:rolleyes:

But, but, even in that photo it's no deeper than an inch or two. I can see it now...Israel begging the U.S. to send aircraft carriers, fighter jest, and billions of dollars to defend it from Mother Nature.

:rolleyes: (again)

This thread is about the weather...

Your vicious, baseless and stupid comments have nothing to do with the topic.

Even got a mention on NPR this afternoon! Snow in Jerusalem & Damascus.

I certainly hope it took a lot more snow than is depicted in that photo to wreak all that havoc! That's not snow, that's a dusting.

While it does snow in Jerusalem (seen it last time I was there), it's not common at all and no one is prepared for it. It's rather like snow in Dallas (seen that one, too).

Americans seem not to know that the Golan "Heights" are barely above sea level and Galilee (as well as most of the Jordan River) is well below, in a subtropical latitude.

046.jpg

And to think that I just spent a small fortune on a snow vacation in Vermont with the kids...

Incredible...

Well.. hope you all had fun in the snow! Perhaps cross-country ski's... but then maybe not if is a once in a decade thing.

Gary

Could be. This is the sort of thing that the climate guys say will be more common.

It's snowing in Detroit too - first real snow this year. I had to go to the airport to get the snow blower this morning.

Yep, more heat equals more energy means weather patterns will run further.

While it does snow in Jerusalem (seen it last time I was there), it's not common at all and no one is prepared for it. It's rather like snow in Dallas (seen that one, too).

Americans seem not to know that the Golan "Heights" are barely above sea level and Galilee (as well as most of the Jordan River) is well below, in a subtropical latitude.

Mount Hermon, the highest mountain in the Golan heights peaks at 7336 ft... It's a bit higher than sea level I would say....:wink2:

Well.. hope you all had fun in the snow! Perhaps cross-country ski's... but then maybe not if is a once in a decade thing.

Gary

There was no snow where I live...I just got back from a ski vacation and preferred to stay at home with a good cup of hot cocoa....:)

There was no snow where I live...I just got back from a ski vacation and preferred to stay at home with a good cup of hot cocoa....:)

Oh, OK. Misunderstood, thought the snow was where you are. We've got a decent snow going on, maybe 2-3 inches with potential for more. Really pretty out. I hear you with the hot cocoa, we pretty much sat by the fire with a glass of wine.

Gary

046.jpg

Incredible...

Well............

I watched your Youtube video and made some casual observations...

Every vehicle shown was a late model, building all looked to be in good shape, all the people had on nice clothes and looked well fed....
Remind me again why the United States of America is giving Israel 50 million a day of the US citizens hard earned tax dollars in foreign AID ?:idea::dunno:

Well............

I watched your Youtube video and made some casual observations...

Every vehicle shown was a late model, building all looked to be in good shape, all the people had on nice clothes and looked well fed....
Remind me again why the United States of America is giving Israel 50 million a day of the US citizens hard earned tax dollars in foreign AID ?:idea::dunno:

Unbelievably off-topic. And more than slightly rude for not being in the Spin Zone.

Just an interesting picture

Attachments

• snow .jpg
    snow .jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 22
That was a hell of a storm that blew down, it had hurricane force winds in Northern Europe. This really isn't any different than when an Arctic Zephyr blows down and they get snow and ice in Louisiana and even Northern Florida. It's the same latitudes.

My son moved to the deep south of Alabama from mid Michigan. The first winter there they had a storm that dropped three quarters of an inch of snow (maybe). On his way to work in the morning the state police stop him and read the riot act. The state roads are closed by order of the governor because of a snow emergency.
Tim looks around ostentatiously and says to the officer. "Snow? What snow. I'm from Michigan and I don't see no steenkeeng snow. This is just dust."
He said as the officer drove away the cruiser almost went into the ditch when the rear end slipped sideways because the officer did not know how to feather the throttle and steer into the slide.

And for the political among us - lighten up Alon is a fellow flyer - not the architect of foreign relations.

truth hurts, huh...:idea:

Where do YOU want to fight WWIII?
The US eastern seaboard, or the middle east?
If Isreal goes, the next enemy of the entire hoard of muslim, murderous, sickeningly violent, repressed homosexuals,(no one who treats women the way mainstream muslims do, can be anything other than a repressed, angry, homosexual, unable to cope wit the truth about themselves) will be coming for western Europe, then here.

Last edited:
Take it to the Spin Zone, guys.

My son moved to the deep south of Alabama from mid Michigan. The first winter there they had a storm that dropped three quarters of an inch of snow (maybe). On his way to work in the morning the state police stop him and read the riot act. The state roads are closed by order of the governor because of a snow emergency.
Tim looks around ostentatiously and says to the officer. "Snow? What snow. I'm from Michigan and I don't see no steenkeeng snow. This is just dust."

Welcome to the Front Range of Colorado (Pueblo to Denver to Ft Collins). Last week the highs were barely into the single digits. This week, we'll have highs in the 60s (Wed) and then Friday, maybe 30.

Back