Snakes

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
There are two kind of snakes. The ones that are hard to see. Your green garden variety. They are harmless. And then we have bright, multicolored snakes resembling Chris Froome's bike jersey. They are extremely poisonous.

Where do people fit in all of this? I mean, I wear coral snake bike gear because I want to be seen. But I do not feel particularly poisonous or deadly. Well I am but let's not talk about that. Forget that, I'm just trying to figure out where we all are on the chart. Meaning, the poisonous dangerous chart.

Don't get me wrong. Wearing a coral snake costume in Oakland is going to not end well. Maybe I'm overthinking this. @SixPapaCharlie and @eman1200 , am I missing something? do we need to do a group vid?

There are two kind of snakes. The ones that are hard to see. Your green garden variety. They are harmless. And then we have bright, multicolored snakes resembling Chris Froome's bike jersey. They are extremely poisonous.

Where do people fit in all of this? I mean, I wear coral snake bike gear because I want to be seen. But I do not feel particularly poisonous or deadly. Well I am but let's not talk about that. Forget that, I'm just trying to figure out where we all are on the chart. Meaning, the poisonous dangerous chart.

Don't get me wrong. Wearing a coral snake costume in Oakland is going to not end well. Maybe I'm overthinking this. @SixPapaCharlie and @eman1200 , am I missing something? do we need to do a group vid?

I’m betting you could make that outfit work for you in Vegas.

Happy hour started early

Coral snakes are far less common than the milk snakes that mimic them. Their fangs are in the rear of their mouths, so they really have to latch on to envenom a victim. As the mutie slime OP alluded, they are brightly colored and easily seen. And they are shy and retiring, and usually won’t strike unless disturbed. I would be far more worried about the rattlesnakes in that area, since they can deliver venom in a casual strike and like to warm up on roads during early evening. To be honest I would be far, far more concerned about dogs, which routinely attack and insure far more people than reptiles, venomous or not.

Coral snake ,red and yellow kill a fella,red and black ok jack.

Coral snakes are far less common than the milk snakes that mimic them. Their fangs are in the rear of their mouths, so they really have to latch on to envenom a victim. As the mutie slime OP alluded, they are brightly colored and easily seen. And they are shy and retiring, and usually won’t strike unless disturbed. I would be far more worried about the rattlesnakes in that area, since they can deliver venom in a casual strike and like to warm up on roads during early evening. To be honest I would be far, far more concerned about dogs, which routinely attack and insure far more people than reptiles, venomous or not.
Agree about the dogs. As for the rattlesnakes, they do try to warn you off with the rattle. They'd rather use the venom on a mouse or something then waste it on us. Having said that. I'd still want to wear boots hiking in their area since the rattler may not think s/he has enough time to warn me off.

We have copperheads and moccasins along with rattlesnakes and coral snakes. Copperheads give no warning, and moccasins will actually pursue your ass. Nasty. Killed a copperhead a couple years ago in the back yard.

a7d68c22f7dbc600e55f61223ee18cda.jpg

This color scheme should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a7d68c22f7dbc600e55f61223ee18cda.jpg

This color scheme should work.

That is one heck of a Diamond Back. I have killed a couple in Texas that were as big around as the biggest part of my leg.

I saw a side winder crossing the road in front of me the other day. He went too fast for me to catch him.

That is one heck of a Diamond Back. I have killed a couple in Texas that were as big around as the biggest part of my leg.

I saw a side winder crossing the road in front of me the other day. He went too fast for me to catch him.

Yeah, that one was down near Warner, OK supposedly. Probably measured around 6’

Last edited:
I love it when they skew the size of the snake, fish, whatever by holding it close to the cameras. Snake was probably 5 ft long at most, but looks like an Anaconda

I love it when they skew the size of the snake, fish, whatever by holding it close to the cameras. Snake was probably 5 ft long at most, but looks like an Anaconda

I'm not sure they were intentionally skewing it. It was still alive (they didn't kill any snakes) and they were holding it with long tongs. Even at 6' it's still a big rattler.

I have no particular opinion on snakes, but do feel strongly that bicycle jerseys should come in only three colors: blaze orange, optic yellow, or fluorescent lime green.

I have no particular opinion on snakes, but do feel strongly that bicycle jerseys should come in only three colors: blaze orange, optic yellow, or fluorescent lime green.

Both of my motorcycle jackets are hi-viz yellow. Yeah, I look like a big walking highlighter, but I'd rather have a chance of being seen.

Both of my motorcycle jackets are hi-viz yellow. Yeah, I look like a big walking highlighter, but I'd rather have a chance of being seen.
My favorite jacket is coal black. Bikers are invisible to cagers no matter what they wear.

My favorite jacket is coal black. Bikers are invisible to cagers no matter what they wear.

Maybe black is ok in buckeye land, but down south black is a big NO. Unless you like cooking yourself. It's 1pm and already 87*.

Hi-Vis jackets ARE more visible, and reject most of the sun's heat. Also why I wear a white helmet, vis and heat rejection.

I don't like snakes and will kill them if I feel like they're a risk to me or will be in the future. In other words, if they're in my friend's hay barn, I'm not giving them a chance to come back. If they leave me alone I'll leave them alone.

This one was caught here in Texas, at Lake Whitney a few years ago.
attachment.php

I don't like snakes and will kill them if I feel like they're a risk to me or will be in the future. In other words, if they're in my friend's hay barn, I'm not giving them a chance to come back. If they leave me alone I'll leave them alone.

This one was caught here in Texas, at Lake Whitney a few years ago.
attachment.php

That always freaked me out at the Texas Lakes. We went to Texas a few years ago and stayed on one of the Lakes. Lots of snakes.

this was just posted on my developments facebook page TODAY

33310154_10212026546558730_5611559949738967040_n.jpg

on top of that, it turns out this is my neighbors house.

Why? They're just a part of the world, and they eat vermin that we don't want and that can damage our works.
Why does Ireland exist if snakes are meant to be? Would Eve have offered Adam an apple if the serpent hadn’t intervened? Perhaps it’s time to reconsider this outspoken pro-snake position.

Why does Ireland exist if snakes are meant to be? Would Eve have offered Adam an apple if the serpent hadn’t intervened? Perhaps it’s time to reconsider this outspoken pro-snake position.
If you really believe in talking snakes you possess insufficient cognitive function for discourse. Ireland has no indigenous serpents because the climate is inhospitable to them. I believe Greenland and Iceland are similarly bereft.

Back