Smoked turkey questions

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
One of our local barbecue places offers a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving when ordered in advance. Has anybody done this? is it a good idea? Part of me thinks it would be dry. My wife does a pretty good turkey, but I was thinking of giving it a try.

One of our local barbecue places offers a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving when ordered in advance. Has anybody done this? is it a good idea? Part of me thinks it would be dry. My wife does a pretty good turkey, but I was thinking of giving it a try.
Smoked turkeys are fantastic if they're done right. I'd think it would be tough to keep warm enough to get it home unless they are just smoking it and you heat it up later.

It’s a love or hate thing. If you like the bbq joint in general, see what the Google reviews say about the thanksgiving turkey.

We did one several years ago that turned was just fine, but you picked a pickup time and they were pulling turkeys based off that. A different place has you pick it up the day before and reheat the next day. I wouldn’t so that method.

I live around the corner from a butcher shop, and they offer to smoke turkeys for Thanksgiving. The price isn't all that bad. They slice the meat up and put it in a metal tray to reheat when you are ready to serve. It tastes good and serves well, especially if serving a large crowd.

I'll get a bone-in turkey breast, usually something like Honeysuckle or Butterball (pre-injected and pre-brined) and put it on the smoker. Smoked turkey is awesome.

Sounds like you aren't going to do it DIY. So go to that BBQ joint, get a pound of turkey, and see what you think.

My experience with getting a smoked turkey from a shop is that it will be smoked a day or two in advance, kept cold, and you'll have to figure out how to carve it so you can reheat it without drying it out.

The other thing you won't get is any kind of pan drippings for gravy.

I haven't actually smoked one, but I have done several on the grill. They turned out awesome.

I put it on a rack in a pan to catch the drippings. Salt, pepper and garlic powder over the raw bird. I also like a layer of cayenne, but most of my family doesn't, so I go easy on that. I start with about a half inch of water, wine and apple cider vinegar in the pan. I put a half stick of butter inside the turkey.

I Cook it on low and frequently spoon some of the liquid in the pan over the bird. I add water or broth to the pan if it starts to evaporate, but the lower temp and longer you cook it, the less evaporation. Wrap some aluminum foil around the tips of the wings and legs to keep them from burning.

I usually cook it for about 4 or 5 hours and plan on at least an hour before serving it. When it is done I pour off the drippings for gravy, wrap the bird, pan and rack in aluminum foil and move it out of any breeze. I have never had any complaints. At least not from anyone that was invited back the next year.

I smoke at least one turkey a year at home. We love smoked turkey. That said, we still roast the one on Thanksgiving. It requires less attention while trying to get a dozen other dishes ready, and it's easier to predict when it will be done.

I've smoked a turkey on a regular grill (propane). It was awesome and everyone loved it, including that one guy that said "doesn't taste like Thanksgiving". However, I haven't done it since because of that remark.

My experience with getting a smoked turkey from a shop is that it will be smoked a day or two in advance, kept cold, and you'll have to figure out how to carve it so you can reheat it without drying it out.

This would mostly put me off to the idea of hiring it out instead of doing it myself.

I smoke a turkey every Thanksgiving. Brine overnight, then cover in buttered cheesecloth in the smoker. Fantastic!

For special occasions I'll smoke some turkey legs. Bradley smoker.

My brother did this for a large group several years ago. Being a bit of a geek, one was fully smoked, one just roasted, and one he smoked and finished in the oven. The vast majority liked the half smoked the best. The all smoked wasn't dry or overdone, just too smokey for most. Hiring it out I'd be worried about it being too dry, too.

I have smoked turkey successfully in the egg-clone. It comes out nice, but don't use the carcass to make stock out of after you're done. The stock ends up way too smoky. I had a neighbor who used to always take the bones from my deep fried birds and I didn't think anything about giving her the smoked one.

but don't use the carcass to make stock out of after you're done. The stock ends up way too smoky.
Perhaps there's a learning curve involved. People use ham bones in soup and/or beans to impart the smoky flavor. I suspect smoked turkey bones could be used in similar applications.

I have smoked turkey successfully in the egg-clone. It comes out nice, but don't use the carcass to make stock out of after you're done. The stock ends up way too smoky. I had a neighbor who used to always take the bones from my deep fried birds and I didn't think anything about giving her the smoked one.
That’s actually a really good idea. Start it in the smoker for flavor, then roast like usual for the skin texture, timing, and all the rest.

Been smoking Thanksgiving turkeys for the last 10 years now. Probably keep doing it till the day I die.

I originally wanted to do the deep fry thing, but, in the store, the smokers were right next to the deep fryers. I took a step back and realized I'd use the smoker much more than a deep fryer, so I bought the smoker. Never looked back.

First time I did smoked turkey was for Thanksgiving and it was absolutely fantastic. Brought the turkey inside and the dog couldn't stop slobbering over the floor - the aroma was that good. Wife almost decorated the ceiling with mashed potatoes when she slipped on a pool of slob. Daughter, who was a senior in high school, was doing trying to be cool by doing the vegan thing. That smoked turkey cured her of that silly notion.

And no, smoking doesn't dry it out as long as you don't overcook it. (same deal as if you're roasting it) I also brine for 24 hours. For extra juiciness I inject with apple juice right before smoking. I prefer fruit wood for smoking at it imparts a bit of sweetness.

P.S. Boil the carcass and make smoked turkey wild rice soup. Yummmmmmmmmmm!

That’s actually a really good idea. Start it in the smoker for flavor, then roast like usual for the skin texture, timing, and all the rest.
The skin in the smoker really isn't that bad. Mine is a very dry smoke (no water pans or anything).

Not the same as the deep fried, but as good as the oven in my opinion.

I bought a turkey fryer a couple years ago. Fried turkey is great, but makes an incredible mess of one's patio. The times it's been used it's been at my son's place, I don't know if I'd use it here. I suppose the grease soaks in and disappears eventually. The turkey fryer did come in really handy, after lots and lots of scrubbing, for boiling down a few dozen gallons of maple sap to make syrup.

One of my wife's sisters and her husband own a meat market and deli. They sell a LOT of smoked turkeys every year. Two big trailer mounted rotisserie smokers loaded with dozens of dead birds. I've had some; it's pretty darned good. Having recently bought a pellet smoker, I'm undecided whether to try a turkey or not. As we'll likely end up at the in-laws for Thanksgiving yet again, I suspect not. Side note: The worst thing about it is driving 4-1/2 hours there, 4-1/2 hours back, and ending up with essentially no leftover turkey. IMHO, a couple days of cold turkey sandwiches on dinner rolls is one of the best parts of Thanksgiving.

I smoke my own.

Always brine the night before- it will finish thawing the bird if it's still partly frozen and adds to the flavor/juiciness of the bird. To make brine boil a big pot of water and add 1/2-1 cup of salt and 1/2-1 cup of sugar. Stir until disolved and chill the brine(best to just do this way ahead of time, you don't want to put your raw turkey in warm water). Unwrap your turkey, remove the neck/giblet back and put it in some kind of container(lately we've been using a small cooler). Pour in the brine, ideally you want the bird completely submerged. Since it likes to float putting it in breast side down helps. Add cold water to top off the brine level if need be. Put the turkey in a fridge or somewhere cool(I've often put it on the car when night temps are well below refrigerator level) overnight.

The next day remove the bird from the brine and dispose of the liquid. Liberally season with your favorite seasoning- the last one I did was covered in a combination of a generic BBQ rub and some blackened seasoning and it turned out great. Smoke at 225-250, done temp at around 170. Should take around 30min/lb so start early, smoking often takes longer than expected so start early. You can always cover it in foil and put in the oven on warm.

This is the ONLY way I do turkey now. I used to do fried and that's delicious but there's so much more work to it, the oil is expensive and unless you're frying a lot more stuff you'll end up just dumping it. Not to mention the cleanup. Smoking is so much easier and yields a slightly different but I'd say equally good result.

I bought a turkey fryer a couple years ago. Fried turkey is great, but makes an incredible mess of one's patio. The times it's been used it's been at my son's place, I don't know if I'd use it here. I suppose the grease soaks in and disappears eventually.
I have a small area in the middle of my patio just outside of my outdoor kitchen that has some small rocks in it rather than the concrete. It's the turkey frying area. The tossed oil settles down in the rocks and if it ever gets really disgusting looking (hasn't happened yet), I can just replace the rocks.

We had a guest chef come in a few weekends ago and he brought this giant paella. We used my turkey fryer burner to heat it:

1699031412350.png

You really have to be careful and do it right. Turkey is naturally a dry meat and smoking it can exacerbate that. It needs to be in a good brine for a minimum of twelve hours beforehand. Let it soak in and penetrate the meat. It’ll make it tastier and a lot tender. Turn the Green Egg on and let it cook at a low heat til it’s 165F. Don’t let it overcook or else it’ll be over. There’s nothing worse than a dry, overcooked turkey on Thanksgiving. Your house will smell like a BBQ restaurant and it’ll be fantastic.

I agree. That doesn’t sound like a great way to go. I’d skip buying it already done and do it yourself.

If you have the grill space, spatchcock the turkey. Cooks more even and faster. We did it on the Trager last year, and everyone loved it.

Ok, I now have a 3# turkey breast half and two 3/4 pound turkey legs (I couldn't find fresh turkey thighs).

Low and slow on the Green Egg
or hot and fast?

My internet search has turned up mostly hot (500 degrees) and fast (20 minutes)

What say you? I'm planning hot and fast, but If it's low and slow, I need to start soon.

Ok, I now have a 3# turkey breast half and two 3/4 pound turkey legs (I couldn't find fresh turkey thighs).

Low and slow on the Green Egg
or hot and fast?

My internet search has turned up mostly hot (500 degrees) and fast (20 minutes)

What say you? I'm planning hot and fast, but If it's low and slow, I need to start soon.
This is approx 4hrs.

Attachments

• IMG_4121.jpeg
    IMG_4121.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
I set my pellet grill at 225 and it’s done when it hits 170 which is maybe 30min/lb but that’s a whole bird.

That's probably 225-250. Seems to work for me, cooked until approx 160 internal, resting lets it get past 165.

PS: Sorry for the delay, I've been out all day.
'Salright.

I didn't have time for 4 hours since I got a late start.
It is cooking now at 325 and I hope it is done in less than an hour. Actually the two legs will probable be done much sooner but the breast is taking longer.

'Salright.

It is cooking now at 325 and I hope it is done in less than an hour. Actually the two legs will probable be done much sooner but the breast is taking longer.
Set the thigh thermometer to 175. That dark meat really benefits from a higher temp to get more tender. The white meat will get overdone and dry if you let it go that far, though.

'Salright.

At about 40 minutes, the legs were showing 170 degrees, but the breast was showing around 125.

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
At about 40 minutes, the legs were showing 170 degrees, but the breast was showing around 125.
Ahh. Yeah, I thought you might be doing leg quarters. They would probably have taken a little longer.

I did mine at 225 in the egg-clone (a Grill Dome). If I brined it, I didn't do it very long. I rarely bother. Poultry no matter how you cook, you want to pull off as soon as it hits 160. Dry is usually a sign of overcooking. It's not like a pork shoulder where it keeps gets more tender as you progress up in temperature.

Well, when I cut into the legs, they were still a little too bloody. So I put them back on.
Eventually they came up to 175 about the same time the breast came up to 165.
IMG_5645.jpg

We quit doing the big turkey dinner some r years ago. We realized that what everyone was doing was mixing dark meat and stuffing and drowning it in gravy. We always ended up with all the dry white meat and an ugly Turkey carcass leftover. Took some of the fun out of it.

One year we tried a stuffed turkey roll when was just me the wife and 2 kids. But, our new tradition is a prime 3 bone rib roast.

That being said, my new favorite sandwich is called a “Kettle Roasted Turkey Sandwich” from a local mom&pop. It’s like a Turkey pot roast served on a French roll with onion and a garlic aioli, and the run through the toaster with a thick slice of cheddar.

Our local bbq does a very moist smoked turkey. One thing about bbq meats though is that when they're cold, they tend to have a dry mouthfeel. That's because the liquid is congealed or has drained to the bottom. But once you heat them to the right temperature and sometimes rebaste them, they're great again.

The last few thanksgivings, we've been doing smoked turkey from the bbq place for sandwiches and chips. Still turkey, but without the fuss.

Great smoked turkey!

I usually drop three of four birds in rapid succession in the deep fry. If you're going to get it all set up and hot, you might as well do a few.
Smaller birds (13 lbs or so). Of course, I've been known to consume the skin off the first one while I'm getting the others done.

Margy's first husband stripped all the skin off the turkey and discarded it one Thanksgiving, she told me. That's why he's her ex.

A good how to video

A good how to video
Do you pick it up hot or cold? Does it have to be reheated?
If hot, I might try it.
If cold, I don't see the advantages outweighing the disadvantages.

Back