Sleep overnight in small GA airports pilot lounge?

I am assuming that the poster is meaning small, one room type "FBOs" as is common at alot of small, rural non towered airports.

I don't really think that under current conditions I would think it would be OK to stretch out on a couch and camp out in the lounge. Definitely not sanitary and not considerate of the general public right now.

If you can afford an airplane ( and fuel for the trip) you should be able to afford a cheap hotel room.

There is nothing that makes economic sense about traveling by GA. Just like there is nothing that makes economic sense about hunting in order to get your food.

But I sure do love to travel in my airplane and to hunt!

There are some FBOs that have quiet areas for the pilots that want to take a nap in a cheap recliner.

I have seen some FBOs that have a couple small rooms with a single bed, a reading light and an alarm clock. Usually found at bigger airports.

I saw this in Pocatello, ID this past October.

Bunches of you seem to think there is a problem with sleeping in an FBO.
You must never fly more than 20 miles from some big city.
Do you have any idea how many hundreds, maybe thousands of airports aren't within an hour of a hotel? How many don't have crew cars? How many don't even have a diner or restaurant within driving distance, much less walking distance?
Seriously, you need to get out in the boonies more often.

Where are you flying in the lower 48 where the motel is an hour drive from an airport? If you are going that far into the boonies you better take a bicycle because you aren't getting a car at the airport and there may not be cell service.

I don't see a problem sleeping at an FBO, but most FBOs in metro areas are not going to let you sleep there and most the FBOs are located in high population areas.

In my Cardinal, I can pull the front seats out and sleep in the plane. Actually fairly cozy. On long cross-countries I usually carry a sleeping bag and pad. I think of it as all part of the adventure.

But then I did a lot of backpacking and slept out on a ground sheet.

So lets say that you decide to sleep in the pilots lounge instead of a hotel. You get there at a normal time, set up your little camp, and hit the sack. Then at midnight someone lands there because of bad weather, and because of the time of night, they can't get to a hotel. Where are they going to sleep? Since you're planning these stops well in advance, you have the luxury of reserving a hotel. The unlucky person that lands at that airport doesn't have that option, and now they have no where to try to sleep.

There are also plenty of professional pilots that use the lounge to pass time between their flights. You comfortable with trying to sleep between two guys watching fox news and talking about the game last night?
So, I shouldn't use it because of the off chance that some professional pilot might need it? The one night out of 365 that I stop at some out of the way airport?

I don't see TVs in the pilots lounges I've seen, either. Your argument makes zero sense.

Most of the FBOs have gate/door codes, some simply lock the doors, do y’all call ahead and ask about staying overnight?

I’ve never planned to stay in an FBO or sleep in the courtesy car to save money. It’s always been one of those unplanned last resort kinda things. If I found myself in one of those spots again and the only place available to grab a few hours of poor sleep was occupied by some one that actually planned to be there just to save a few dollars. Yeah. I would form a negative opinion of that individual very quickly. But yes. I have never had an FBO take issue with me sleeping on property.

I find it fascinating how many posters comment based on their limited personal experience without realizing they are commenting based on their limited personal experience.
What else would you have them base their comments on? If people didn't express their personal opinions using their own experiences, this would be as dead as the AOPA forum.

So, I shouldn't use it because of the off chance that some professional pilot might need it? The one night out of 365 that I stop at some out of the way airport?

I don't see TVs in the pilots lounges I've seen, either. Your argument makes zero sense.

Have at it. Enjoy your trip!

This was a a much nicer place to wake up than a lumpy old couch in the FBO... they offered it, but it was too nice a night to stay cooped up inside (and yes, there was a motel within walking distance).

upload_2020-12-19_9-0-18.png

I'll bet the coffee I cooked on my camp stove while still warm in my sleeping bag was a lot better than anything I might have gotten in the FBO, too!

I cannot remember the last time I was in a pilots lounge that did not have a TV.

I’ve slept at quite a few... I do not think anyone minds (if we are talking podunkville and not a fancy big city fbo) even if your motivation is to save a buck- the folks that run airports are airplane ppl even if not pilots- we all know as a whole we are known to fly an extra 30 mins because diner A ThAts closer charges 1.99 for a cup of coffee and 30 mins further diner B charges 1.49.... now that’s not to say to make it home for a week- but for an overnight most places are happy to have someone use it. It adds to the adventure of cross country flight. I take a box of cereal and powdered milk... nothing like it :)

What else would you have them base their comments on? If people didn't express their personal opinions using their own experiences, this would be as dead as the AOPA forum.
People should definitely comment and express their opinions based on their own limited experiences. It's only when they express them as fact or universal rules that I get the ha has.

1. If they have a lounge, it’s for our use. Period.

2. If a business places a bed for a customer’s use, use it.

3. Not all FBO’s are 24 hours. Plan around that.

4. The virtue signaling around whether or not someone is a professional pilot is garbage. First come, first served. Any professional pilot outfit pays for their pilots to do this planning in advance. This isn’t intended to be rude, but too many people behave entitled. I’ve met many civilian pilots that are great and many commercial ones that are rude. People are people, and no one is lesser or greater when it comes to a couch or a bed.

5. Covid? Ok. Seriously. If an FBO offers a new, they likely offer clean sheets. I’ve been to many that have. Some believe covid is politically taken advantage of; others are reasonably cautious. Your mileage may vary. Be clean. After the inauguration, no doubt everything will magically change regardless of who is inaugurated.

6. Planning to sleep at an FBO in lieu of a hotel means no reservations; plan accordingly.

7. FBO staff is king when it comes to their facilities. Check with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that GA vs professional crew needing a place to crash is first come first served. To plan on using the FBO as a place to sleep because you’re too cheap to pay for a hotel is wrong. If you can’t afford $75 for a cheap room you probably shouldn’t be flying.

To plan on using the FBO as a place to sleep because you’re too cheap to pay for a hotel is wrong. If you can’t afford $75 for a cheap room you probably shouldn’t be flying.

Not everyone is out flying for the same reason, or under the same circumstances, and cannot be expected to place the same value on $75 or on a hotel as you do. The OP is talking about being on the road for a *month*. For such a trip, the cost of hotels every night in every different location (money and time) might be the difference between getting to have a flying adventure and not being able to do as much or at all. Pilots, like airports, are all different.

Last year, I spent 12 months living like a hobo with an airplane, alone. Admittedly, I spent most of it staying with friends and family. But I spent a lot of time out exploring this great country, sometimes not knowing what airport I'd be at the next night. I had a tent and a sleeping bag, which I used wherever I could. Although I was willing to stay in a hotel if I had to, I tried hard to avoid them if possible. Partly because of the cost, but partly because there is no adventure in it, nothing new to be learned from watching cable TV in another Days Inn. Instead, I talked to people. Y'know, airport people. Overwhelmingly, I met interesting, kind, generous, curious, and understanding people. I've pitched my tent behind behind hangars and connexes and under beacons and next to the airport lawnmowers. I've slept on dingy couches, in beautiful free pilot bunk-houses, on the floor of a pilot lounge or two, and eaten morning ramen noodles from the FBO microwave. I've asked for advice from strangers in hangars, and gotten advice about the next little airport down the road where the owner is friendly and won't mind if I crash the night. Or about the next great destination 100 miles away. I've had nights of lousy sleep, but would not trade them for anything. "Camp at X06, so you can afford a night in KEYW" is my style.

Sometimes you can do research ahead of time (for airports with campgrounds or bunk-houses), but not always. It's easier when you're alone, and it won't work everywhere. Metro areas and metro airports are tougher. If there is a human to talk to at an airport, I will always ask first what is OK. Be courteous. Use your senses and your intuition. Look around. Will you be a burden or an annoyance to others there? Leave the kitchen cleaner than you found it. Be flexible. Be willing to accept "no" as an answer -- whether spoken or unspoken. Springing for a hotel has to be OK too, you have to *not* think of it as an onerous cost. A hotel room has a purpose, and of course it is worth the cost when it fulfills a need. And NEVER use "hotel cost" to make a safety-related decision (such as a go/no-go).

I think the type of adventure you had is great! I’m all for it. It’s just that I think crashing in the FBO should be a last resort and not a plan.
I’m all for the tent thing camping out by the airplane.

If the OP is looking to be on the road for a month then great, budget for a month of hotels. Pack a tent and hopefully save some money as opposed to hotels but I wouldn’t ask to sleep in the FBO. Now if he asks to camp and they offer the building facilities then have at it but I wouldn’t be asking to stay in their building as my main plan.

I know a small-town airport in Wisconsin where there are about seven employees on a workday. And a shower in the shop.

Once, a family camped there several days. They used the shop's shower. With permission from the manager --- but nevertheless the other employees were annoyed. To them, it was their bathroom and their shower, and they viewed the campers as interlopers creating an awkward situation. To these employees, having visitors sleep in a tent near their parking lot seemed a bit odd, but that wasn't what really grated on them. The shower and heavy use of the bathroom was what annoyed them.

There are probably a lot of different situations at different airports, but in general the bathroom is what I'd think of, more than a back-room recliner or couch, as a possible annoyance.

I did a trip to Denver a couple years ago. Stopped in Blackfoot, ID and camped outside the FBO, couple other guys took the couches in the FBO and left way earlier than I did. Worked out fine but even though I called they didn't turn off the sprinklers so it got loud at 3AM, and it was too close to the freeway although maybe inside would have been quieter.

For those that sleep in the FBO, what do you eat, stale cookies or whatever is in the vending machines? And most don’t have showers. If I am flying the next day I want to be rested and refreshed, hotel and hot food is required.

I guess you never want to assume but when the FBO has separate room with a big couch, TV, bookshelf full of books I think we all know why.

I guess you never want to assume but when the FBO has separate room with a big couch, TV, bookshelf full of books I think we all know why.

None of the above implies they want you to settle in for the night.
If they have a bed....

I've done the sleeping on the airport thing a few times. But in my 172, minus the back seat. Air mattress, sleeping bag...works for me. But then I have also spent nights sleeping in a tent, too, on the ground, cold and damp. It ain't the Hilton, but, if you get 6 or 7 hours of kip, and a place to get coffee in the morning (even if it is over a coleman stove), go for it.

My best experience sleeping in the FBO was in MT. I was just asking about setting up a tent. We ended up inside, water, shower, the works. He even showed me where his loaded shotguns were kept, just in case.

This was back in the 90’s on the way to AK.

My wife and I have done this many times while traveling cross country. By plane and by car. We have air mattresses and blow them up and throw on the sleeping bag. We try to vacate before anyone arrives in the morning, but sometimes that does not happen. Never had anyone made a negative comment about us sleeping in there lounge. Just clean up after yourself.

Wait, so when driving cross-country, you’ll search out the local FBO to sleep in?

Last edited:
I do remember walking into the FBO at Gallup very late one night, about 2am to find a couple wearing matching PJs sleeping on the floor. Hated to bother them but I needed to get ready for a flight. They had asked our dispatcher/flight coordinator if it was Ok.

I've never seen a pilot's lounge without a TV.

"Professional" pilot is irrelevant. I hold every pilot to the same standards, including assuring they get some rest if they need it.

I’ve never planned to stay in an FBO or sleep in the courtesy car to save money. It’s always been one of those unplanned last resort kinda things. If I found myself in one of those spots again and the only place available to grab a few hours of poor sleep was occupied by some one that actually planned to be there just to save a few dollars. Yeah. I would form a negative opinion of that individual very quickly. But yes. I have never had an FBO take issue with me sleeping on property.

Every bit of this. I view the pilot's lounge as a safety tool - a place I know I can go if things don't go exactly to plan to get enough rest to be a safe pilot and move along my way. It isn't my hotel room.

Agree that GA vs professional crew needing a place to crash is first come first served. To plan on using the FBO as a place to sleep because you’re too cheap to pay for a hotel is wrong. If you can’t afford $75 for a cheap room you probably shouldn’t be flying.

Yeah, AOPA types vs. NBAA types should not matter. Just as much as the light GA pilot should be planning for cheap hotels, so should corporate outfits be planning to pay for rooms for their crews. Just like both should feel free to have a solid nap in an FBO's pilot's lounge if needed.

None of the above implies they want you to settle in for the night.
If they have a bed....

I don't agree with that. I think most FBOs do stuff like very comfortable, near flat Barcaloungers that are perfect for sleeping for a couple sleep cycles to refresh. Most folks are going to try and sleep at night as opposed to in the day time, unless their clock is totally screwed up.

Did it not occur to you that the reason many can afford an airplane is that they skimp
on other things such as hotel rooms to be able to afford an airplane.

Eh, that's not really an excuse. If they are able to "skimp" enough to afford a plane, there is somewhere they can find enough for a motel or hotel that the FBO may well even have a special rate for.

I wonder how many people on here also take the free crew car all day instead of getting a rental, while other people that just want to use it to go to lunch are left high and dry.

This is an absolutely perfect analogy.

I don't think many FBOs at 'small GA airports' (mentioned by the OP) are open 24 hours. In that case, you would be asking to stay inside unsupervised. Not sure how many places would allow that. As others have said, you could ask, but I wouldn't plan on it.

I don't think many FBOs at 'small GA airports' (mentioned by the OP) are open 24 hours. In that case, you would be asking to stay inside unsupervised. Not sure how many places would allow that. As others have said, you could ask, but I wouldn't plan on it.

Only done it once out of necessity. Picking up the plane in the avatar in West Virginia. No hotels close by and town too small for Lyft-Uber. They had a crew car, but not in good shape, ok for going down the road for take out, not intended for over-night use at distant hotel. Owner wanted to show me everything on the plane and was too late to depart, plus weather in area. FBO offered use of their upstairs facilities including shower/couch am guessing because I hangered with them due to that weather (also fueled with them twice as I flew off the insurance required transition that day as well and loaded for the trip home to Texas). They only asked I remain inside until the morning crew arrived.

Also, not an FBO but if you take your Tiger to FletchAIR near Fredericksburg TX, their facility used to be a secret drone field and their maintenance hangar can sleep 24 people and multiple showers. When I had a Tiger, Dave Fletch encouraged owner assisted annuals, just bring your own bedding sheets and food. Can learn a TON about AC from that man ...

I guess I'm impolite or something, because I would crash in FBOs or camp out with the plane unless asked not to do so. If I was planning a trip for a month, the hotel costs would be over 1.2k even if I could find a decent enough room for only $40/night. For me, that's edging up on a whole month's paycheck right there and could totally make the difference as to whether or not I could make the trip. There's only so many places a person can skimp when you're on a truly tight budget and some times, there just aren't any more places.

The GA FBOs I've been to aren't usually even attended on weekends...the door code is just the CTAF and you can come and go whenever you want. And if there is a crew car, you probably shouldn't take it more than five miles from the airport in case you need to walk back... So I suppose it depends on where you go. My current home airport FBO is locked from 3am to 6am and there may or may not be someone there when it's open.

I’m a tipper and a great one. Paid for college as a waiter (back when that was possible). FBO employees don’t know me but they surely appreciate me once they help me. If you ever open my glove box in my plane, you will find a lot of $10s. My point: I can afford a cheap hotel and, with the wife, will get a nice one. If I stay at an FBO, no staff will regret letting me. I’d rather give them my money than a fleabag hotel. I’m not cheap, but I am in control of who gets my $$$.

I personally disagree, I think it’s part of the adventure, most GA airports get a kick out of someone overnighting if they don’t leave a burden... just my opinion. I often get the feel they are honored I picked their airport for an overnight home and someone using it made it feel worthwhile for the effort they put into making a welcoming little lounge...

For those that sleep in the FBO, what do you eat, stale cookies or whatever is in the vending machines? And most don’t have showers. If I am flying the next day I want to be rested and refreshed, hotel and hot food is required.

I carry ramen, some canned meat, cereal and powdered milk,

not sure they are worried about ya being there unsupervised if there’s a note that the door code is ctaf.

Sleeping at GA airports has added a lot of adventure to flying- have met so many neat people I wouldn’t have if I had caught an Uber to motel6. Everyone I’ve ever ran into was excited I had stayed or was staying.

from what someone mentioned on this thread I’ve decided I’m going to journal each of my overnights at airports to make a book someday

Inot sure they are worried about ya being there unsupervised if there’s a note that the door code is ctaf.
That is definitely not the case universally. I say that as someone who often showed up at FBOs after hours.

That is definitely not the case universally. I say that as someone who often showed up at FBOs after hours.

true... but man once otta the metro areas I find it truer than not... the Midwest here seems quite universal... And I’ve gone to ID from MI and back and almost all were open. As well as from TX to MI and a vast majority would have been open and sleepable... but I stay away from major or busy areas too.

The purpose of the pilot lounges is a place to allow pilots to relax while their passengers are conducting their activities in the area or during weather delays. Most FBOs have a negotiated crew rate at local motels for overnight stays. There are some FBOs that allow pilots to overnight due to weather or when local accommodations aren’t available.

Asking an FBO to stay in their building overnight in lieu of a hotel room is not going to be permitted at most locations and honestly I don’t know why anyone would really want to. You sure aren’t going to be well rested sleep in a chair or couch for the next day. If you really want to stay overnight at an airport, there are many that allow overnight camping.

True but some FBOs are 24hours and have multiple pilot lounges, some with nice reclining massage chairs, TVs, a variety of snacks and drinks and the FBO offers pillows and blankets on request. When I went to one it was empty, they were happy I bought fuel, but I had no reason to attempt to sleep there.

Just call around and ask different FBOs. You’ll likely find what you need but the fuel and services likely will cost a little more too.

Back