Sleep overnight in small GA airports pilot lounge?

I wonder how many people on here also take the free crew car all day instead of getting a rental, while other people that just want to use it to go to lunch are left high and dry.

Umm, I did that but I called the FBO first, asked and they gladly reserved the car for me for the day (more like 5-6 hours).

Agree that GA vs professional crew needing a place to crash is first come first served. To plan on using the FBO as a place to sleep because you’re too cheap to pay for a hotel is wrong. If you can’t afford $75 for a cheap room you probably shouldn’t be flying.

Wow, an entitled Karen are we? I’m not one to sleep in an FBO but if a young guy or gal wants to travel around doing it, I’m all for them. Glad they got off their hinds, and did something brave, and traveled. Whereas the working folk sit around doing nothing but judging others.

There are rules in place, if a particular FBO doesn’t want that, I’m very confident they will voice their opinion. We are never short of opinions or BS in America.

Don’t abuse the system and they won’t have to change it. It’s not intended as your overnight hotel room, it’s a backup plan. You wouldn’t eat every day at the soup kitchen, but it’s there and free, right?

why is the concept difficult for some people?

Been to many of them. I try not to plan my overnights there.

I don’t think very many people would plan a trip depending upon terminals as their reserved hotel rooms. We’re talking about being weathered in or otherwise stuck somewhere overnight.

I can promise you that at our airport, if you landed at 2AM and needed fuel, had mechanical trouble or were weathered in, you could call the phone number on the door, and the airport manager would CHEERFULLY get out of bed and come to the airport to let you in the lounge, give you a courtesy car, fuel up your plane and if a storm were blowing up he would be trying to find somewhere to stash your plane out of the weather. That’s one of the many reasons there are Best Airport awards hanging on the wall. Southern hospitality at its finest.

I don’t think very many people would plan a trip depending upon terminals as their reserved hotel rooms. We’re talking about being weathered in or otherwise stuck somewhere overnight.

I can promise you that at our airport, if you landed at 2AM and needed fuel, had mechanical trouble or were weathered in, you could call the phone number on the door, and the airport manager would CHEERFULLY get out of bed and come to the airport to let you in the lounge, give you a courtesy car, fuel up your plane and if a storm were blowing up he would be trying to find somewhere to stash your plane out of the weather. That’s one of the many reasons there are Best Airport awards hanging on the wall. Southern hospitality at its finest.

Which is awesome, and what is great about GA.

The OP was talking about planning on staying overnight in FBO's instead of getting a hotel room in order to save money. Very different from what you describe.

I wonder how many people on here also take the free crew car all day instead of getting a rental, while other people that just want to use it to go to lunch are left high and dry.
There are crew cars and then there are crew cars.

Hopefully they had more than one crew car.

They did as they specifically said let me give you the new car the 2021!! Anyway it did not even cross my mind that I was abusing, and still doesn’t after hearing others views. Some FBOs say you can take the car for an hour, some say you can take it for the whole day. The point is that I asked first. The ******* problem comes from people who assume based on their entitlement and take without asking. If you are landing somewhere and need a crew car, call and reserve it, come on...

I sleep in “FBOs” now and then. I’d prefer to sleep outside, but often there are sprinklers, or bad weather, or other reasons. At some of these places town is 10 miles away, and there is only one crew car, if I land late, I take the car to a hotel, then theirs is no car for the next guy. I also end up spending an hour before I get to a room, only to wake up at dawn to leave. I’d rather sleep on the floor, or couch and be up before dawn than spend another $75, and get a couple hours less sleep.
But, ther is a difference between an FBO like Vail Valley jet center and the “FBO” at Pine bluffs Wyoming.

Which is awesome, and what is great about GA.

The OP was talking about planning on staying overnight in FBO's instead of getting a hotel room in order to save money. Very different from what you describe.

I never said that which is what is funny about the responses to this post. It amazes me that people can't read a single paragraph and actually understand it.

Wow, an entitled Karen are we? I’m not one to sleep in an FBO but if a young guy or gal wants to travel around doing it, I’m all for them. Glad they got off their hinds, and did something brave, and traveled. Whereas the working folk sit around doing nothing but judging others.

There are rules in place, if a particular FBO doesn’t want that, I’m very confident they will voice their opinion. We are never short of opinions or BS in America.

Not at all. Having worked for an FBO in my younger years, flying GA for years and many years flying for a living I’ve seen all sides to the argument. I’m all for the young guy or gal that wants to travel. Great! Like I said before, throw a tent in the plane and camp out if you want to save money. If you’re invited to crash in the building even better, but don’t count on it as your main plan.

If you hadn’t planned on staying and are forced to due to mechanical or weather then I don’t see any problem asking to sleep in their building.

A lot of small airports have unoccupied pilots lounges. Is it ok to sleep overnight in them?

I'm not sure if this is understood as a no-no, or if people sleep overnight in them when possible?

Planning a month long trip as we economical as possible and want to know if this is even an option.

I never said that which is what is funny about the responses to this post. It amazes me that people can't read a single paragraph and actually understand it.

What did I miss?

True but some FBOs are 24hours and have multiple pilot lounges, some with nice reclining massage chairs, TVs, a variety of snacks and drinks and the FBO offers pillows and blankets on request. When I went to one it was empty, they were happy I bought fuel, but I had no reason to attempt to sleep there.

Just call around and ask different FBOs. You’ll likely find what you need but the fuel and services likely will cost a little more too.

Many FBOs like that have a ramp fee that most on this forum complain about with vigor.

Many FBOs like that have a ramp fee that most on this forum complain about with vigor.
Nearly 30,000 registered on this site...over 15,000 complain? I haven't noticed that.
But I have noticed you might need a new line of work: Your disdain for pilots is a common theme of yours.

The FBOs I’ve been to also waive the ramp fees with a fuel top off too. I’m more annoyed with having 5 different fees as it seems confusing or difficult to calculate costs. I understand fuel is marked up but for full service and a nice facility, I don’t mind a little bit. Of course some places just jack up the price and charge several fees. I just wanted to explore a new city, get a crew car, grab lunch, walk around the downtown area, visit one place of interest then head back home.

Nearly 30,000 registered on this site...over 15,000 complain? I haven't noticed that.
But I have noticed you might need a new line of work: Your disdain for pilots is a common theme of yours.
Very few who are members ever post, but if you read my posts I usually have disdain for cheap pilots.

Gotta remember not all FBOs are 24 hour operations. They might not want to or be allowed to have someone staying there without an employee around.

Which is fine. They can say "No". Otherwise, at most smaller FBO's, the odds of someone else wanting/needing to sleep on the couch is minimal, so why not if it is a convenient/non-intrusive option?

Our little, private, club airport has a shower in both men's and women's restrooms. Why are they there? The gate code is CTAF probably the clubhouse lock too (though I've never seen it locked).

As to pilot lounges... Well FAAther designated me a pilot... That lounge must be for me. I may not have all the endorsements/ratings of "perfeshunal" pilots, but I still are one.... And I know stuff, too.

Would I sleep in one? Yep, if it's okay with the owner/FBO. I agree with Kath and others... Be prepared to spend a night in a hotel, or in your plane, or under a wing...

But, if there's a comfy couch and permission (or better yet, an invite), then stay in and absorb the local culture, the local folks and the hospitality... And, if you can leave it better'n you found it AND a tip.... Aces on ya!

Fly on!

A folding cot and sleeping bag in the back of the plane isn’t a bad plan b at all. No need to find a couch, set up the cot and Bob’s your uncle.

What I really love is when my passengers take the “courtesy car” while I’m stuck with no way to get something to eat.

A folding cot and sleeping bag in the back of the plane isn’t a bad plan b at all. No need to find a couch, set up the cot and Bob’s your uncle.

I have a small pop-up tent, sleeping bag with a mat that goes under it, and a folding chair. I don't have a lot of room to spare in my airplane but not much is needed. Camping next to the plane has a magic all it's own ... at least until the cold rain starts falling. :D

Some of those people taking the car may be making a much more significant impact on the local economy... and rental cars can occasionally be hard to come by in some locations.

Along with the many, many cold, uncomfortable airport "lounges" I've slept in, I also had a very nice overnight next to a giant fireplace in the terminal building at Prescott, AZ.

I have more hours sleeping in aircraft than most people have flying them. Really.

This past October, my brother and I flew his RV9A to Pocatello, ID from Oklahoma City to purchase a Rans S6S. He flew his RV home and I flew the S6. He'd fly ahead of me, and wait for me at our fuel stops. Our first fuel stop was Spanish Forks, UT. It was sort of late Saturday afternoon, so we decided to spend the night there.

The courtesy car had been reserved so we asked some "locals" at the airport about a ride to a hotel/motel, whether it be taxi, Uber, whatever. My brother wound up giving a couple of the guys a ride in his RV. These "locals" happened to be a family whose son had just gotten his PPL the Wednesday before and was giving some of the family members rides, and it was his birthday. After quite a bit of fun conversation about flying, and a ride to town, they invited us to join them at their home for the night. They were having and a birthday party/cookout, and celebrate their son getting his PPL. The family was GREAT. "Dad" got up the next morning and took us back to the airport, which was about 25 miles away.

The loss of the concept of hospitality amongst private individuals is really all our loss. It's fascinating reading about people like George Washington hosting so many visitors without angst.

The loss of the concept of hospitality amongst private individuals is really all our loss. It's fascinating reading about people like George Washington hosting so many visitors without angst.
"George Washington landed here!"
'course back then, you could land on the Whitehouse lawn, and step inside for a visit...

Some of those people taking the car may be making a much more significant impact on the local economy... and rental cars can occasionally be hard to come by in some locations.
I've been to airports without a courtesy car where the gal behind the counter just gave us her keys to go get lunch.

I've been to airports without a courtesy car where the gal behind the counter just gave us her keys to go get lunch.

Clearfield PA last year. "I'm doing the brakes on the Jeep, here take my truck" . Brand new F-150. It might have been worth more than the rental 172 I was flying. :D

I remember the FBO manager in Greenwood Mississippi offering us his conversion van, to drive to the motel, not to sleep in. That was an interesting FBO. He had a rattlesnake in an aquarium and a wild boar mounted near the floor that looked like it was charging out of the wall. This was back in the early 2000s.

Clearfield PA last year. "I'm doing the brakes on the Jeep, here take my truck" . Brand new F-150. It might have been worth more than the rental 172 I was flying. :D

I was told to take the green truck, keys were in it.
Unfortunately this is a small town, everyone just leaves the keys in their vehicle. I took the wrong green truck. I got to meet what seem like the entire police force (not much crime I guess), they almost seemed disappointed? I now try to pick airports I can walk to the hotel and restaurants.

I was told to take the green truck, keys were in it.
Unfortunately this is a small town, everyone just leaves the keys in their vehicle. I took the wrong green truck. I got to meet what seem like the entire police force (not much crime I guess), they almost seemed disappointed? I now try to pick airports I can walk to the hotel and restaurants.

Many years ago I took a plane to Lunken Field in Cincinnati for a engine overhaul. Another guy followed me to give me a ride back.

As we dropped off the plane, we asked the shop manager about a vehicle to go get some lunch. He told us there is a red pickup parked right outside the door, just use that. We stepped outside to see a bright red, mid 60s Ford pickup parked right in front. I mean this was a nice restoration and the keys in the ignition just like the guy said. So we took off and had lunch, put a little gas in the truck and returned.

As we returned, there was about 8-10 folks standing around a police car. As we pulled into the parking lot, one guy started jumping up and down and pointing at us. Needless to say, we became the center of attention very quickly.

After some quick talking and after our story was confirmed by the shop manager, things started to settle down. The owner of the truck finally calmed down a little, and after we told him we filled his gas tank he actually laughed at our predicament.

Will everyone be wearing matching jammies.???

I'll propose these matching monkey pajamas. I'm sure eman approves

81LVVUjdgKL._AC_UX385_.jpg

Back